Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

How are Michael Jordan rookie cards holding up?

I haven't been actively collecting in a. number of years but when I was MJ rookie cards were hot.
I saw this up for sale recently and was wondering are MJ rookie cards really going for this much consistently or is this sale an outlier?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?icep_id=114&ipn=icep&toolid=20004&campid=5338461489&mpre=https://www.ebay.com/itm/1986-87-Fleer-Michael-Jordan-RC-Rookie-Card-57-SGC-86-NM/254276378605?hash=item3b340d9fed%3Ag%3AyMUAAOSwv%7ERdExdW&LH_Auction=1

Comments

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

Enough said.👇

• frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,040 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, they are actually still going up, from what I have seen over the last few years. I bought my PSA 8 back in March of 2018 and paid $1685 for it. Mine has really nice centering. These consistently go for $2200 to $2500.

Here is mine.

004-1986-Fleer-Jordan-PSA-8

Shane

edited June 29, 2019 3:54PM

I think his rookie card will probably always be in high demand, because he's just flat out the greatest basketball player that will ever live.

• dan89dan89 Posts: 484 ✭✭✭✭✭

9’s are at least 5K which is up 1K year over year. Many that are well centered have been going for major premiums. $6500-7K. One that is really centered is becoming rare for sale in a 9 at least.

I bought mine at the National last year for 4K. Centering is just about dead nuts which it is real tough for any card in this issue. Has sharp corners, focus and is one print dot away from 9.5-10 ballpark. I know I am up one year late lr.

• HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

Reminds me of Aug 2016

• 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    I think his rookie card will probably always be in high demand, because he's just flat out the greatest basketball player that will ever live.

That is debatable.

Most marketable - for sure - and that is what really matters.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• stwainfanstwainfan Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 29, 2019 7:18PM

The 86 sticker has gone up also.

I collect hall of fame rookie cards, https://www.instagram.com/stwainfan/

For many reasons and having seen plenty of both players, Kareem Abdul Jabbar would be my pick.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:

• AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭

@HighGradeLegends said:
    Reminds me of Aug 2016

Bingo. I'm sitting on some and considering selling and buying back in later.

• HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

@Allen said:

@HighGradeLegends said:
    Reminds me of Aug 2016

Bingo. I'm sitting on some and considering selling and buying back in later.

YUP!

• ElvisPElvisP Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭

I think more and more people are realizing he is the most over-rated player ever and his rookie card is very plentiful so I think it will go down. :)

@lawnmowerman said:

@doubledragon said:

Oh yeah! Straight outta North Carolina!

How Kareem would handle Jordan...

• softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,266 ✭✭✭✭✭

MJ is the GOAT
    Only those who didn’t see him play would try and debate

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

@softparade said:
    MJ is the GOAT

Huh? I saw him.

Did you see Kareem? Dominate? For 20 years? Score more points than anyone in the history of the league before or since? Win 6 MVPs and 6 titles? Did they outlaw dunking in college because of Mike? Did Mike lead the league in scoring in his first three years in the league and lead his team to a title in the third along with an MVP and RoY in that stretch?

I saw Michael Jordan and he was no Kareem. No one was.

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1951WheatiesPremium said:

@softparade said:
    MJ is the GOAT

Huh? I saw him.

Did you see Kareem? Dominate? For 20 years? Score more points than anyone in the history of the league before or since? Win 6 MVPs and 6 titles? Did they outlaw dunking in college because of Mike? Did Mike lead the league in scoring in his first three years in the league and lead his team to a title in the third along with an MVP and RoY in that stretch?

If prime Jordan and prime Kareem were to play one on one, who do you think would win? I would be surprised if Kareem scored. At 7'2" , just no handles. Jordan would strip him every single time.

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

• CoarsegoldCoarsegold Posts: 132 ✭✭✭

No collection is complete without 1986 Fleer #57.

• ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coarsegold said:
    No collection is complete without 1986 Fleer #57.

Well since I don't ever want my collection to be complete, I think I'll avoid this 1986 Fleer #57 of which you speak. ;)

Andy

@craig44 said:

@softparade said:
    MJ is the GOAT

Huh? I saw him.

If prime Jordan and prime Kareem were to play one on one, who do you think would win? I would be surprised if Kareem scored. At 7'2" , just no handles. Jordan would strip him every single time.

@craig44 said:

@softparade said:
    MJ is the GOAT

Huh? I saw him.

In a game of one on one - which is decidedly NOT basketball - I would give a major advantage to the 7’2 Kareem. MAJOR. In addition to his ability to literally back Jordan down every single time and dunk over him, his shot blocking and athleticism would give Michael fits.

In actual 5 on 5, I would insist we go back to pre 1990 rules, when traveling was still called and significant rules had not been changed continually to minimize the impact of big men and defense in professional basketball.

So basically, when basketball was not an unwatchable mess.

@craig44
    @softparade

Did either of you see Kareem play?

What about me? Naaaaaa.

• BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 30, 2019 8:44AM

@softparade said:
    MJ is the GOAT

Huh? I saw him.

Did Kareem dominate in the 70's absolutely, but he had help in the 80's with a guy named Magic. He also played 20 seasons to become the all time NBA scorer. He only won two scoring titles (70-71 & 71-72),

MJ played only 15 seasons and missed a year & 64 games in his prime. If Jordan didn't step away from the game in 93-94, the Bulls probably would have won 8 consecutive NBA championships. On top of that Jordan would have scored close to an extra 6K point which would have inched him closer to the all-time mark in points. Please don't forget MJ stepped away from the game again at the age of 35,36 & 37 before coming back at age 38. Lets not forget he also missed 63 games in the 1985-86 season because of a foot injury. Jordan if stayed on path, he would be the all-time leading scorer and LBJ would be chasing Jordan instead of Kareem. BTW Michael also won 10 scoring titles leading the league in his third season all the way to his first retirement in 93 which would make that seven straight. There's no argument who the greatest player of all-time is NONE!!

"EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON

If the premise of your post is ‘here’s what Michael Jordan could have done to be considered better than Kareem’ then I agree with it completely. Had he not retired twice and had he won those extra championships and MVPs and scored more points. But he didn’t and he’s not that guy.

Based on what they did on the court, Kareem was better. And as good as Magic was - and he was AWESOME - his primary job in the fourth quarter of close games was to get the ball to Kareem. That’s rarely mentioned and often forgotten.

I’m not saying that Jordan was not fantastic and dominant in his own right. He was an amazing basketball player. But please, let’s base the argument on actual accomplishments and not what they could have done.

edited June 30, 2019 10:11AM

Even Magic Johnson says that Michael Jordan is the greatest that has ever played.

• SdubSdub Posts: 736 ✭✭✭

Can't believe this is even debatable. Jordan rookie card transcends collecting. It's the Bershire Hathaway of investments. Thousands of people own this card that have no clue about our hobby. Every time I see LeBron or Harden drive to the hole and push off, the Jordan card goes up. No one ever created a shot as well as MJ.

Collecting PSA 9's from 1970-1977. Raw 9's from 72-77. Raw 10's from '78-'83.
    Collecting Unopened from '72-'83; mostly BBCE certified boxes/cases/racks.
    Prefer to buy in bulk.
  • BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 30, 2019 10:23AM

If the premise of your post is ‘here’s what Michael Jordan could have done to be considered better than Kareem’ then I agree with it completely. Had he not retired twice and had he won those extra championships and MVPs and scored more points. But he didn’t and he’s not that guy.

Based on what they did on the court, Kareem was better. And as good as Magic was - and he was AWESOME - his primary job in the fourth quarter of close games was to get the ball to Kareem. That’s rarely mentioned and often forgotten.

I’m not saying that Jordan was not fantastic and dominant in his own right. He was an amazing basketball player. But please, let’s base the argument on actual accomplishments and not what they could have done.

Tim..... I think your in the minority when it comes to thinking Kareem Abdul Jabbar is the greatest of all-time, which is okay. But are you basing your argument on that since Kareem is the all-time leader in career points he's the greatest of all time? I don't think Kareem is even the greatest center of all-time. I personally feel Wilt Chamberlain was better then Kareem, now we could add Bill Russell, but I think he's the most decorative center ever, but I do feel Kareem was a better player than Russell.

As far Jordan I don't think there is a comparison. You talk about Kareem leading the league in points in his first 3 years, Jordan led the league 9 of 11 years including his rookie year. He lead the league in points for 11 years and those two years he didn't , he was injured in 1985 and then again when he came out of retirement in 1994. What player has done that before or after? This is a fun and healthy discussion.

Here's my two MJ's

"EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • krisd3279krisd3279 Posts: 808 ✭✭✭✭

Jordan never fought Bruce Lee. Advantage Kareem. :)

Kris

My 1971 Topps adventure - Davis Men in Black

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,163 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:

@softparade said:
    MJ is the GOAT

Huh? I saw him.

Um HELLO! Didn't you see the karate video? ;-)

@craig44 said:

@softparade said:
    MJ is the GOAT

Huh? I saw him.

@craig44 said:

@softparade said:
    MJ is the GOAT

Huh? I saw him.

In a game of one on one - which is decidedly NOT basketball - I would give a major advantage to the 7’2 Kareem. MAJOR. In addition to his ability to literally back Jordan down every single time and dunk over him, his shot blocking and athleticism would give Michael fits.

In actual 5 on 5, I would insist we go back to pre 1990 rules, when traveling was still called and significant rules had not been changed continually to minimize the impact of big men and defense in professional basketball.

So basically, when basketball was not an unwatchable mess.

@craig44
    @softparade

Did either of you see Kareem play?

HELLO AGAIN! Wilt Chambelain!

No doubt Jordan was the most athletic.

I saw Wilt and Kareem and Mike. Wilt dominated games at both ends of the floor. Kareem was great with his "sky-hook", but Wilt was........................just WOW! BETTER.

Please don't bring up Russell.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set

@BPorter26 said:

Tim..... I think your in the minority when it comes to thinking Kareem Abdul Jabbar is the greatest of all-time, which is okay. But are you basing your argument on that since Kareem is the all-time leader in career points he's the greatest of all time? I don't think Kareem is even the greatest center of all-time. I personally feel Wilt Chamberlain was better then Kareem, now we could add Bill Russell, but I think he's the most decorative center ever, but I do feel Kareem was a better player than Russell.

As far Jordan I don't think there is a comparison. You talk about Kareem leading the league in points in his first 3 years, Jordan led the league 9 of 11 years including his rookie year. He lead the league in points for 11 years and those two years he didn't , he was injured in 1985 and then again when he came out of retirement in 1994. What player has done that before or after? This is a fun and healthy discussion.

Here's my two MJ's

I completely agree that the Jordan is the more dynamic card and that if you ask people under 45 that every single one will answer the question with Jordan; while most under 25 would say LeBron.

And, no, I am NOT basing it all on scoring (at all) but rather the entire body of work. Alcindor took the league by storm with scoring, rebounding, shot blocking, defense AND winning - all immediately. Not just scoring. I also believe Jordan fans like to gloss over the fact (often) that Michael was in the league for 6 seasons before he won a title. In those 6 seasons, the Bulls we’re nothing close to a contending team, Michael was an average outside shooter and a below average defender. I’ll give him tremendous credit for improving those areas of his game, elevating himself to one of the better at both later in his career. Scoring titles are not championships and are often more indicative of the guys who take the most shots more than anything else.

His Airness also has a huge, rabid fan base that makes him the Mickey Mantle of Basketball - the popularity of the player is virtually unmatched by almost anyone else.

Fun discussing it and I don’t think it foolish to pick Mike. Heck, I’ll be honest...

Sometimes I dream that he is me...

:smiley:

Also, the fact that he did things on the court that were superhuman. It was like poetry in motion.

@doubledragon said:
    Also, the fact that he did things on the court that were superhuman. It was like poetry in motion.

Superhuman, unnecessary and completely for the crowd and the highlights.

Also, did you mean create a shot in the flow of the game or create a shot.

Ever heard of the Sky Hook?

This is a thing of beauty, was necessary to use over taller defenders and was almost completely unstoppable.

Superhuman.

Superhuman.

Final shot in a Bulls uniform.

Ridiculous.

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,163 ✭✭✭✭✭
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set

Again ridiculous.

From way downtown.

Poetry in motion.

Nice .gifs!!!!

Here’s one head to head. Once again, Mike almost comes out on top but in actuality just comes up a little bit short.

Of course I am from North Carolina, so I am a little biased. They were both great players, and I don't think we will ever see those types of players again.

• georgebailey2georgebailey2 Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭

Not really a basketball fan.
    I agree with 1951 regarding the one on one. I think there is an underestimation regarding size when playing one on one. I remember on a mid-70s sports show they had a big man playing an athletic forward in one on one and the big man mopped the floor with him. I thought is was Jabbar and Erving, but the only Google response I can find is that 1992 thing they did, so it may have been two other players. Even then, the 1992 thing was surprisingly one-sided. The athleticism advantage needs to be ridiculously high to overcome the size difference in one on one. At 2 on 2, my gut says the advantage may already swing the other way to athleticism.
    "Tell your old man to drag Walton and Lanier up and down the court for 48 minutes."

@georgebailey2 said:
    Not really a basketball fan.
    I agree with 1951 regarding the one on one. I think there is an underestimation regarding size when playing one on one. I remember on a mid-70s sports show they had a big man playing an athletic forward in one on one and the big man mopped the floor with him. I thought is was Jabbar and Erving, but the only Google response I can find is that 1992 thing they did, so it may have been two other players. Even then, the 1992 thing was surprisingly one-sided. The athleticism advantage needs to be ridiculously high to overcome the size difference in one on one. At 2 on 2, my gut says the advantage may already swing the other way to athleticism.
    "Tell your old man to drag Walton and Lanier up and down the court for 48 minutes."

LOL for the Airplane! reference.

• nam812nam812 Posts: 10,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 30, 2019 2:43PM

Jordan can thank Dr. J and Dr. J can thank Connie Hawkins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wqLzr2id6s
  • nam812nam812 Posts: 10,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 30, 2019 3:04PM

@1970s said:
    And all three can thank Pistol Pete. The most fluid ball handler/shooter/passer of all time. Magic Johnson doesn't even compare to Pete's skill level. Julius and MJ were more physical than Pete, but not as talented with the all around skills .

Obviously I meant for their high flying acrobatic showmanship, which could never, EVER, have been gotten from Pistol Pete.

Edited to add - In my Dr. J video above, Kareem stood there in awe like a spectator. lol

Pistol Pete Maravich in his prime was a nightmare on the court. A freakin nightmare. His average of 44.2 ppg in college basketball is a record that will probably never be broken. He was a magician with the ball in his hands. If he had stayed healthy in the NBA, who knows what the record books would look like. They'll never be another Pistol Pete Maravich.