Home U.S. Coin Forum

Comments

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

I see that as a pocket piece so why slab it anyway?

• Options
    MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't see any reason why it wouldn't straight grade, but I'll defer to those that know more about such things.

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can you determine the mint? If so, then yes.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    coin4salecoin4sale Posts: 375 ✭✭✭

@AUandAG said:

>

THIS

BT&C
  • Options
    PocketArtPocketArt Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, if you can't determine an "S" or a "CC" then I say no go. If it's a "P" you'd never know....too much wear.

If you plan on bidding on this piece; or, other coins that are currently in live auctions- it might be prudent you don't show link to auction as you are advertising this listing to all board members, and various guests to this site that aren't members. You'd do yourself a disservice if someone else "out there" wanted the coin more than you.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AUandAG said:

To be a Poor-01, you need to be able to determine that date and the mint mark. I’m not sure if the date is 1875 or 1877, but I do know the mint mark, if there was one is not visible.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 25, 2019 6:47PM

No won't grade, but I love the coin, unfortunately I'll be out of the country when the auction ends, otherwise I would be all over it.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 25, 2019 4:17PM

@PocketArt said:
    Well, if you can't determine an "S" or a "CC" then I say no go. If it's a "P" you'd never know....too much wear.

If you plan on bidding on this piece; or, other coins that are currently in live auctions- it might be prudent you don't show link to auction as you are advertising this listing to all board members, and various guests to this site that aren't members. You'd do yourself a disservice if someone else "out there" wanted the coin more than you.

@Skrill90 Too true, what @PocketArt posted.

Many 👀!

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just got a great buy on a 1875 trade dollar cheap Will it grade? Only kidding 👅🙀jzyskowski

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

LOL! Go ahead and bid on it!

@ajaan said:
    No won't grade, but I love the coin, unfortunately I'll be out of the country when the auction ends, otherwise I wold be all over it.

• Options
    KyleKyle Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PocketArt said:

I agree, I already had this coin on my watchlist when it first got listed. I was surprised to see it posted here.

Successful BST Transactions With: tonedase, streg2, airplanenut, coindeuce, vibr0nic, natetrook, Shrub68, golden, Lakesammman, drddm, Ilikecolor, CoinJunkie, wondercoin, lablover
  • Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:

@AUandAG said:

To be a Poor-01, you need to be able to determine that date and the mint mark. I’m not sure if the date is 1875 or 1877, but I do know the mint mark, if there was one is not visible.

Mintmark or lack of one is not evident, as you said.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not a coin I would consider... Never understood the attraction these hold for some collectors... That being said, collect what you like and have fun... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 26, 2019 10:21AM

It's clearly an 1875. I haven't kept up on trade dollar reeding. But if the reeding is unique for S, P, and CC mints, then this coin can fully identified, and likely given a grade of PO1...assuming it's not a fake that was purposely worn down (lots of work for little return). The reeding would have to "countable" though. At the PO1 level it probably won't be.

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,425 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not even going to look at the coin. Do not buy a raw Trade $. Period.

Years ago, when I was in Vietnam, I bought a high quality fake. It was an 1875 CC, looked to be VF 35 - XF 40 if genuine. I knew it was fake, and didn't pay much for it. Usually the fakes at the time were crudely done 1875 S coins.

This coin fooled most dealers. The size and weight were right, as were all of the details of the coin. What gave it away was when someone asked me if he could drop it on the floor and listen to the coin's ring (I was okay with that). That gave away the fact that the metal content was off. If the counterfeiter used the correct silver content on the coin, I'd bet it would have been slabbed in a first world holder.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file