Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Truly Beautiful Cards

Some cards are just stunning. I'm not talking about condition. Maybe it is a killer image, or great design or some combination of the two. Some cards are just plain cool. Let's see what has "it" in your mind.

I've never owned this card, but have always thought it was just a killer. And just a note to say that I think there are a lot of cards in the 1957 Topps set that fit the definition here, at least my version of the definition.

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.

Comments

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm really liking this one:

• Options
    krisd3279krisd3279 Posts: 808 ✭✭✭✭

@DBesse27 said:

Been my favorite a long time.

The colors really pop on those 51 Bowman when you find a nice copy.

Kris

My 1971 Topps adventure - Davis Men in Black

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,516 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love seeing cards that have a photo of an image used on a regular issue card like the Campy above.

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AFLfan said:
    Those Arbuckle cards are cool. I've got one in my collection that mentions lacrosse on the back.

Campy has some beautiful cards as well. Here is my favorite of his. Same image, but I like the surrounding stadium scene as well.

I agree :wink:

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 18, 2019 6:44AM

My personal pick:
    1933-36 ZeeNut PCL Joe DiMaggio (Batting/Hand Cut)

The reasons I love this card are plentiful. First, there are only 10 in PSA slabs. Pretty cool. Also, it is the first card to ever feature the Yankee Clipper (1934). The fact that they misspelled his name is amazing to me; two years later he is almost a household name and today he’s an almost mythic figure but then he was just a new kid at shortstop. Finally, I really like the Seals stadium in the background - it looks like it was pretty nice ballpark out west - more impressive than I’d have thought.

PS - It’s holdered now. But I loved the look of it raw, too.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    VoteDizzyVoteDizzy Posts: 124 ✭✭✭

The inner 12 year old in me still thinks those black & white early 90's Score cards are still cool.

Hockey - Hrdina - Thunderbirds
    Wrestling - Danielson - Storm - Tajiri
  • Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,014 ✭✭✭✭✭

I always loved the colors in this one.

• Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 17, 2019 12:28PM

First off, I love the clean, simple 1963 Topps design. In addition to the classic football pose sans the helmet, the "throwback" uni really puts this card high on my list.

• Options
    ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭✭✭

Something about this card has always stirred me: the artist's lines in the uniform; the backdrop of Fenway; the half-smile on Williams's face; his heavenward looking motion; and the color schemes that cut the picture so resolutely. It's a card I own (not the exact one pictured), and it's one that sits present in my mind whenever I need to be reminded of the greatness of card collecting and the greatness of baseball in general.

Andy

• Options
    hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

IMO, there are 2 cards in 1990 Leaf that are a level above the rest of the set on the "beautiful" scale. One is the Griffey Jr, don't have that one. The other is Prime Time

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭✭✭

That Bowman Ted is great. So is his 51 Bowman!

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is my favorite.

Great chromolithographic color IMO.

My only T206.

Good backstory:

I bought it as a common in 1992 from Greg Bussineau for 45 bucks. In 1998 Davis goes into the HOF.

Mike
  • Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 17, 2019 3:39PM

@hyperchipper09 said:
    IMO, there are 2 cards in 1990 Leaf that are a level above the rest of the set on the "beautiful" scale. One is the Griffey Jr, don't have that one. The other is Prime Time

I got your back!

• Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭✭✭

My favorite Griffey card front is this one.. Hard to choose.

• Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options

@ahopkins said:
    Something about this card has always stirred me: the artist's lines in the uniform; the backdrop of Fenway; the half-smile on Williams's face; his heavenward looking motion; and the color schemes that cut the picture so resolutely. It's a card I own (not the exact one pictured), and it's one that sits present in my mind whenever I need to be reminded of the greatness of card collecting and the greatness of baseball in general.

One of my favorites too... Here's an 8x10 photo of that image, signed by Williams.

DesertIceSports.Com

• Options
    stwainfanstwainfan Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭✭✭

A great looking card.

I collect hall of fame rookie cards, https://www.instagram.com/stwainfan/

• Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭

BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options

Phenomenal photography, but nothing about Andre was “beautiful” lol

Yaz Master Set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    ArtVandelayArtVandelay Posts: 647 ✭✭✭✭

Photography is probably my favorite aspect o sports cards. Topps was at the top of their game from about 1971 through 1977. Whether it is Baseball, Basketball,Football or Hockey this images can be stunning.

• Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭

My favorite player stealing the headlines.
    I think Topps should of airbrushed in a cape or marvel super hero costume for Nolan.

A stare down from Bob Gibson is children's play compared to this.

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    CentauriCentauri Posts: 120 ✭✭✭

I am sorry I don’t have the posting skills others have, I love the 1964 #423 - Tops in the NL Mays and Aaron. Those 2 dudes were unbelievable.

• Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jay...

I love the Yankees Power Hitters' card...that is a beauty!

Monte

mint_only_pls
  • Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭

@DBesse27 said:

Imagine being inside the ring and that was the image coming at you.......

BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options

@wrestlingcardking said:

@DBesse27 said:

Imagine being inside the ring and that was the image coming at you.......

Terrifying for sure!

Yaz Master Set

• Options
    AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jay0791 said:
    I also love the 1957 Topps. Don't collect the set just Yankees. Nearly all the Yanks are dugout or stadium shots

For Todd.. A favorite card of mine.
    Had he not split time with the CFL he probably would be a NFL HOFer

I also collect CFL RC of HOFers This is a pop 3. CFL cards are about as scarce as they come.
    Fortunately only 5 people in the world want them

'57 Topps Mantle/Berra and two Cookie Gilchrist cards? Brotha, you are speaking my language! I love that Mantle/Berra also, and like the '57 Yankees cards because of the scenery around them. Joe Collins at the bat rack and Al Cicotte and Ralph Terry with stadium backdrops are cardboard candy.

And then the double-whammy with one of my favorite AFL players ever! Cookie Gilchrist is one of two players that I have built unsigned master sets for, Frank Buncom being the other. But '63 Fleer is my favorite AFL set as well. Here are a few faves from my collection...

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • Options

Todd, I knew there had to be a Bambi sighting!

Yaz Master Set

• Options

I blame @jay0791 because he started it with the '63 Fleers. ;)

• Options
    stwainfanstwainfan Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭✭✭

a iconic card.

I collect hall of fame rookie cards, https://www.instagram.com/stwainfan/

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

1998 crusades are some of the most beautiful designs ever in my opinion

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    psychumppsychump Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭

The love and joy he expresses on this card seems to exude the wonderment that he is actually a major league star and can actually do this! Beautiful lighting and card color enhance this classic card IMO.

Tallulah Bankhead — 'There have been only two geniuses in the world. Willie Mays and Willie Shakespeare.'
  • Options

@MLBdays said:
    This~

A million times better than his 58 Topps!!

Yaz Master Set

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not a modern guy but these are spectacular. My buddy is amassing quite the collection of 10’s. Well done Ray.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

For me, I'm not sure anything will ever take the trophy from the Pee Wee Reese so thanks @PaulMaul for posting it.

From, what I believe to be, the best use of photography in a modern set, 1988 Score, I just love everything about this. The composition of the shot makes the bat the dominant object and the card takes on more of a symbolic nature than one for the specific player.

And i just love this. A popular pose from the time but the only use that I know of where it's bordered closely to Louis and in a rectangular fashion. Only two or three of these known to exist. The 1937 Lucky Heart premium.

Arthur

• Options
    edited June 19, 2019 9:22AM

1988 Score does have some killer photography. I opened a box recently for an article I wrote for the PSA blog, and it was a really good time. I had forgotten how nice some of the cards are. Too bad there are about 1,000,000,000,000 of them in circulation.

These next two cards are all-time greats for me. When i was about 10 years old, my dad bought me a 1955 Bowman Bob Feller. He said that he had always liked the card when he was a kid, because to him it looked like Feller was saying, "just step up to the plate and watch me shove a fastball up your @ss." I found that hysterical as a roughly 10-year-old kid, and think about that conversation every time I see this card.

The 1957 Topps Big Klu is just a classic. The pose, the jersey, the snarl on his face... Excellent!

• Options
    CoarsegoldCoarsegold Posts: 132 ✭✭✭

Some of the 70's photography is so horrible that I love it. Still the only Punter in the HOF.

• Options

1974 football set has some of the best photography in all of Topps imho. It seems that Topps decided sometime around 1972 that instead of the normal poses that they would try to capture more in action shots on the card.

p.s. that Ray Guy card is one of the toughest cards to get centered!

• Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭

Thank u Monte.
    The card is an upgrade from a psa 4

I own 2 autographed RC's. One is Larsen. But like them a lot.
    Need to draw the line as I can't collect everything.
    Looks like the 63's were signed in the same pen. Or back then all they had was a bic blue ball point.

The 53 Pee Wee is a top 10 card of all time IMO and in a 9. Rizzuto would say "holly cow."

The 62's are just outrageous Some nice cardboard.

Ray Guy. Well I can say I was a Raider fan back when George Banda was the regular QB.
    I championed him for years to get into the HOF. Guy was the 3rd string QB. This saved a position.
    I actually saw him play QB in games. What a great athlete.
    How many times did he receive a bad snap and run for a first down. Many. He handles everything before the long snapper was a specialized position. Not only were his punts the longest …....they were high. They were not measured in seconds but minutes.
    People may not realize when he punted the TV went into a 30 second commercial just in time back for the returner
    to make the catch. Yes that photo is just plain awefull !!!!!!!

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jay0791 said:
    I championed him for years to get into the HOF. Guy was the 3rd string QB. This saved a position.
    I actually saw him play QB in games. What a great athlete.
    How many times did he receive a bad snap and run for a first down. Many.

Let's not go overboard. He threw three passes and rushed 11 times in a total of 207 games. 43 yards rushing and 54 yards passing. Calling Guy a QB is like calling John Elway a punter.

• Options
    spanky74spanky74 Posts: 240 ✭✭✭

Danny White the last true QB/punter?

• Options

Randall Cunningham could have been if the Eagles wanted him to be. Danny White was the last though.

• Options
    ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭✭✭

The angular positioning of Gretzky's body, the way the stick comes off his midsection perpendicularly, the Oilers symbol (especially when the "drop" is centered), the way the colors mesh and blend, almost like the whole design of the card was created around this particular image of Gretzky....well, it's truly beautiful.

Andy