Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Release of a coin in a later year than on the coin

BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭
edited June 16, 2019 9:59AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Has it ever happened before? 2018 $1 innovation RP is going to be released in July, 2019...kind of weird to me but maybe it is not unheard of (discussion in the Innovation dollar thread)

Comments

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe there have been many scenarios where this has happened, albeit maybe not completely similiar.

@BigA said:
    Has it ever happened before?

• Options
    ffcoinsffcoins Posts: 517 ✭✭✭
    edited June 16, 2019 10:07AM

I’ve read the 1795 half cent was possibly minted until 1797, and the 1804 half cent possibly until 1806.

Those both were originally released in the year shown though.

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 16, 2019 11:43AM

Not too common in the United States series, but the World War II commemorative coins of the 1990s and the Thomas Jefferson commemorative dollar of 1993 were not struck in the years shown on the coins.

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

Were not the bicentennial quarters and halves released in 1975?

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ah - you were specific to later. Never mind

• Options
    BGBG Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lafayette Dollar

The dies were cut by C.E. Barber, of the Mint; the head of Washington was from the Houdon bust, and head of Lafayette from Peter L. Krider’s Yorktown Centennial Medal of 1881. The statue on the reverse was taken from Bartlett’s sketch before a number of final changes were made and differs in many respects from the statue as it now stands in Paris. Mr. Thomas Hastings of New York designed the pedestal.

In the early part of 1899, the Lafayette Memorial Commission asked Congress to make its Monument appropriation in the form of 100,000 souvenir half-dollars. This idea soon changed to a silver dollar for a souvenir, and the Lafayette Memorial Dollar came into being by the Act of Congress.

According to the Report of the Director of the Mint for 1900, the silver for this issue, consisting of 38,000.875 ounces of fine silver, was purchased in the open market for $23,032.80 (.5955 per ounce). This provided for the striking of 50,000 of these coins at the Philadelphia Mint.

The fact that this Act specified that the silver was to be purchased in the market is worthy of note because of the special arrangements in the Columbian issues which provided for the coinage from uncurrent subsidiary silver.

While the designs were in progress, some difficulty arose over the date. The Commissioners desired the delivery of these pieces as early as possible in the year 1899, although the coins were to bear the date 1900. It was contrary to the practice of the Mint to anticipate the dating of a coin. The difficulty was happily avoided by wording the inscription ‘Erected by the youth of the United States. . . 1900.’ This date, therefore, was independent of the year in which the coin was struck.

The coinage took place on December 14th, 1899, the one-hundredth anniversary of the death of Washington. The entire issue was struck in one day on an old coining-press which made eighty coins per minute. The first coin struck was forwarded to President McKinley who sent it to the President of the French Republic.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    jtlee321jtlee321 Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

Silver Dimes, Quarters and Half Dollars bearing the date 1964 were struck in 1964, 1965 and 1966.

• Options
    kbbpllkbbpll Posts: 542 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 16, 2019 5:18PM

1964 coins were struck as late as spring 1966. https://www.ngccoin.com/news/article/711/. "Most of the circulating 1965-dated coinage was produced during the first seven months of 1966" - not sure what "new release" means in your question; certainly the "new release" of 1965 clad coinage might qualify but it's not clear to me if they actually started minting them in 1966 with 1965 dates.

Also springs to mind the 1936 "dot" and 1947 "Maple Leaf" coins of Canada. The 1936 dots were minted in 1937, and the 1947 ML in 1948. Abdication of the king in late 1936 caused the dot situation, and independence of India in 1947 caused the MLs. Both interesting numismatic stories.

If any coin minted in a certain year with a prior year's date qualifies, the 1949 Canadian commemorative dollar also qualifies - more were minted well into 1950.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

The vast majority of 1795 half cents were issued in 1796. I would say that all of the plain edge coins were made in 1796. The reason was that copper coin production was curtailed until October 1795 because Congress wanted the mint to concentrate on gold and silver coinage.

The mint had a lot of 1795 dated half cent dies available. Instead of trashing them because of the year change, they used them. That is why the 1796 half cents are so rare. Obtaining a half cent made in 1796 is somewhat easy. Obtaining one dated 1796 is a lot harder.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    Wahoo554Wahoo554 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭✭✭

1795 half eagle I believe

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Wahoo554 said:
    1795 half eagle I believe

The rare variety with the Heraldic Eagle reverse was made after 1795 for sure.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

1794 half dime.

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Queen's Beasts is another example just not a US coin.

• Options
    BustDMsBustDMs Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭✭✭

Numerous Capped Bust half dollars were struck with dates earlier than their issuance.

Q: When does a collector become a numismatist?

A: The year they spend more on their library than their coin collection.

A numismatist is judged more on the content of their library than the content of their cabinet.
  • Options
    howardshowards Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭

1867 with rays proof shield nickels were minted for several years, likely at the request of collectors.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,912 ✭✭✭✭✭

Seems like a somewhat common, though perhaps not regular, practice.

• Options
    BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks...most examples seem to be from MANY years ago but the 1964-65 quarters and halves fits.

So not a biggie that the 2018 Innov RP buck will be released in July, 2019....thanks.

It does make me rethink grabbing the end of year low mintages of some coins. I always assumed they couldn't be produced in the following year.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will go by the date on the coin.... Minor details such as this, nebulous at best, do not interest me. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 17, 2019 2:11PM

There are many instances of this in the bust half dollar series.

An interesting bit of trivia about the 1815/2 is that the entire lot of coins were struck in early Jan 1816 and were paid out to a single customer: Jones, Firth and Co.

How often can we trace provenance and know with certainty the original owner?
    Lance.

• Options
    specksynderspecksynder Posts: 26 ✭✭✭

Do the later "double date" Boone commems count?

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Shifting commercial demand has forced current year coins to be held until a later year on many occasions. It's a trivial matter.

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

PL 115-197 (https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/house-bill/770/text) requires:

(C) EDGE-INCUSED INSCRIPTIONS.—

“(i) IN GENERAL.—The inscription of the year of minting or issuance of the coin, the mint mark, and the inscription ‘E Pluribus Unum’ shall be edge-incused into the coin.

All the rest of the requirements of the law related to coins, apply, thus it would be OK to release them in 2019 if they were minted in 2018...

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    carabonnaircarabonnair Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭✭✭

Iowa Centennial half dollar - 500 were held back and released 50 years later in 1996, with 500 more to be released in 2046 :smile:

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins beat me to it :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options

Current law requires coins to be marked with the year of mintage. Unless specifically excluded, they can be SOLD in subsequent years.

-----Burton
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭

My 1815 dated Matron cent wasn't struck until 2018.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

@kbbpll said:
    1964 coins were struck as late as spring 1966. https://www.ngccoin.com/news/article/711/. "Most of the circulating 1965-dated coinage was produced during the first seven months of 1966" - not sure what "new release" means in your question; certainly the "new release" of 1965 clad coinage might qualify but it's not clear to me if they actually started minting them in 1966 with 1965 dates.

Clad coinage dated 1965 began showing up in change around August of that year. I was an active roll searcher at the time and remember when I began to see around three or four of the coins with distinctive red edges in each roll of dimes and quarters.

Cents and nickels dated 1965 were struck beginning about December 29 of that year, and did not show up in circulation until the first months of 1966. As I recall, 1966-dated cents and nickels were struck beginning July 1 of that year, with normal dating resuming in 1967 and mint marks being restored in 1968.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    mustangmanbobmustangmanbob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are probably 100,000,000 + presidential dollars sitting in Fed Vaults that have not seen the light of day since they were minted. If and when they are released, it will be years after they were minted.

Does anyone remember when they were trying to come up with an idea to get rid of the millions of SBA dollars? The best idea was using a salt spreader machine to fan them out over the ocean. Only rising prices, and the post office and subway machines forcing them, found an outlet for them.

• Options
    TomthecoinguyTomthecoinguy Posts: 849 ✭✭✭✭

@BStrauss3 said:
    Current law requires coins to be marked with the year of mintage. Unless specifically excluded, they can be SOLD in subsequent years.

Really, are you sure? This cannot be true.

It just seems that when the mint releases the bullion silver eagles each year they do it in January. Logistically I don't see how it would be possible to produce the number of silver eagles they sell, in just the few weeks before the release date.

Also, I looked at the mint release schedule for 2019, looks like you can buy the birth year sets starting January 3rd. Lots of other early January releases.

• Options

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/31/5112

(4) have inscriptions of the year of minting or issuance, and the words “Liberty”, “In God We Trust”, “United States of America”, “1 Oz. Fine Silver”, “E Pluribus Unum”, and “One Dollar”; and

-----Burton

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file