Home U.S. Coin Forum

Do you still collect coins in albums?

291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

The slab era has now been around for more than 30 years. Counterfeiting has become a major problem and has driven many collectors to buy only slabbed coins. There is also never ending issue regarding grading and the ability to squeeze every last cent out a coin when being sold that has also driven people to slabs.

What about you?

You probably have many slabbed coins but do you also still collect in albums?

Do you miss collecting in albums?

All glory is fleeting.

Comments

• matt_dacmatt_dac Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have not bought albums, but I might for something like a complete set of Wheat cents or Merc's (with the key coins purchased slabbed).

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a couple of old albums... Lincolns and Mercs...... and also a Kennedy album...have not added to them in years... Cheers, RickO

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do you still collect coins in albums?

yes.

• WALLEWALLE Posts: 234 ✭✭✭✭

yes all Dansco

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,796 ✭✭✭✭✭

Naturally.

• TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

yes, mostly Dansco, and a few Whitman

Frank

BHNC #203

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,155 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes many albums

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 13, 2019 7:14AM

Besides the slabs, I probably have ~100 large cents in cardboard 2x2s, stored in red boxes, and some in plastic sheets. I have a large cent Dansco, but feel this is better to protect them from humidity, etc.

Buffalo nickels and type coins are in albums. Walkers are all slabbed, other than a some dupes.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is probably the wrong place to ask. LOL.

Most of the estate collections that I see are still mostly raw which is why it kind of bugs me when someone says about a raw coin posting that "ask yourself why it isn't in a slab" or something similar. Yes, it could be raw because it has a problem or is fake. But it could be raw because most coins are still raw.

IMHO

• drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 13, 2019 7:14AM

Oddly enough, I collect modern silver Canadian 5-cent type coins and keep them in a Uni-Safe!

• topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

@messydesk said:
    While most of my stuff is slabbed, I still have some albums that I fill. I add a silver eagle to my Dansco every year,

I used to do that. Well, actually I guess it was the wife. We got bored with the same same same same design.

• I do. Although most recent album additions are for coins less than $100. I still have my 7070 in album format, which included a number of crack-outs. All larger purchases are in slabs.

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 13, 2019 1:01PM

I collect political tokens in albums when I can. Some tokens are slabbed, and some are too big or too thick to fit in a conventional 2 by 2 inch space. I have used Eagle brand albums for years.

As for coins, they are mostly in slabs except for coins that are not worth enough to slab.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

Absolutely!

• ARCOARCO Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

I did in the past, but lower grade coins no longer interest me, at least not whole folders full of them. I imagine if Ebay were a true auction site, then it might be fun. Just a waste of money and time trying to find nice raw coins now IMO.

If a person visited a lot of shows, there is a lot more potential.

• DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 7070 is the King of all albums . . . . . .

I recently oicked up the 1941-1974 and 1975-2013 Harris folders and have been putting a collection of Lincolns together strictly from circ . . . . . . .it has been fun. Only 6 Wheaties . . . but interesting to see what circulates out here in SLC . . . .
    Drunner

• WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,899 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not much, these days.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes.
    I have a recently completed 7070.
    Also have circulated silver washington quarter and IHC albums in progress.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,412 ✭✭✭✭✭

sure do

• goldengolden Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have not had an album in decades.

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@seanq said:
    Yes, and I also collect the albums themselves.

Sean Reynolds

If I remember correctly you have a whole slew of Whitman Bookshelf Albums :)

• LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

Like golden haven't had an album since I was a kid and I'm in my seventies now.

• topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DRUNNER said:
    The 7070 is the King of all albums . . . . . .

I recently oicked up the 1941-1974 and 1975-2013 Harris folders and have been putting a collection of Lincolns together strictly from circ . . . . . . .it has been fun. Only 6 Wheaties . . . but interesting to see what circulates out here in SLC . . . .
    Drunner

The second page will nickel and dime you to death. >:)

• Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,332 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jedm

Your large cent collection is UBER COOL. B)

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, they're fun and are even more rewarding than collecting slabs (to me a millenial). I have complete sets of the following in dansco albums:

Merc Dime
    Washington Quarter
    Franklin Halfs
    Roosevelt Dimes

Still working on:
    Indian Head cents
    Wheat Cents
    Cuban Type (rare album)

My favorite dansco album is album #7010- "Crowns of the world". It has pages of various diameter so you can pick and choose what coins to include. I world crowns that cost from $20-$200 in this album. I haven't taken a picture of it in probably 6 months, but here is the last set of pictures I have of it: https://imgur.com/a/d0gpuYQ

As a tip...if you crack out a key date or any coin out of a slab to put it in an album, tape the slab insert to the back page or keep it in a plastic bag so when you go to sell it, you can have some sort of proof (obviously its not fullproof) that it was authenticated at some point.

• OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭✭✭

Albums? No, in fact I've never owned one.

Raw coins in general? Absolutely...in fact any previously slabbed coin that I purchase somehow turns back into a raw coin. ;)

Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

My type set is an album, still in progress. Franklin halves and Lincoln cents '09-'40 as well complete with 14-D and 09-s VDB. Also have a peace dollar year set in a capital style plastic holder if that counts.
    Otherwise mostly slabbed or in 2x2 pages or 2.5x2.5 flips in pcgs boxes

Collector, occasional seller

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, the core collection and the Whitman's. Whitman's are nothing special, but a fun sideline filled as a kid and from junk silver. At least they are complete.

• CRH4LIFECRH4LIFE Posts: 849 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 13, 2019 12:35PM

Yep, I love the way XF-AU Indian’s look in a Dansco

• Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,547 ✭✭✭✭✭

No

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 13, 2019 1:01PM

Yes, still collect for my albums.

Edit:

Also, slabs, flips, loose, and... “so that’s where I put it.” ;)

• oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭✭✭

No, and yes I miss them as well as the plastic holders that display coins as a group. Best I can do now is use the boxes that display slabs as a group of two or more.

• TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 13, 2019 1:05PM

I do. I have a Dansco for most currently circulating coins. Mainly, its just to have a place for the odd silver dime I come across. ;)

And based on the last Long Beach show, I don't think I (we) are alone. I need a new page for the Jefferson Nickels, since mine ran out in 2017 or so. The supplies dealer had a couple of buckets of blank, and updated, and new pages...but none of the Jeff Nickel pages I need. "I used to have them....sold out".

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • ARCOARCO Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:
    I did in the past, but lower grade coins no longer interest me, at least not whole folders full of them.

then the trick is to make it a little challenging and interesting. one of the albums I'm working on is IHC's in a clean, old Whitman. they need to be XF/AU up till the 1890 and the Unc --- no distracting carbon spots, minimal/no verdigris and even color.

it is harder than you might think.

I agree. finding matched coins is difficult and the hunt is enjoyable. Are you buying holdered and then cracking out for the later date uncs?

• koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

My best stuff is slabbed. Foreign and common US are mostly in Dansco.

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are you buying holdered and then cracking out for the later date uncs?

I haven't done that yet, everything is raw but it's a slow project. i probably have about 15-20 coins so far. it's a long set with some scarce dates in the middle in the grades I'm looking for.

• SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes.

• SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes.

• BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep, but have not filled a hole in some time.

• SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,876 ✭✭✭✭✭

Si

• 1946Hamm1946Hamm Posts: 762 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have 55 in Capital set holders complete and about 60 american and canadian albums. So yes.

Have a good day, Gary
  • ElmhurstElmhurst Posts: 768 ✭✭✭

I still have my Canada cents and nickels in old Library of Coins albums I got 35+ years ago.

• IndulgerIndulger Posts: 139 ✭✭✭

Still have some of the old blue ones full of wheat cents from when I was very young...cleaned a bunch of them unfortunately before I knew any better....should be nicely re-toned by now!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file