Home U.S. Coin Forum

COIN DIES

MrTeaMrTea Posts: 56 ✭✭✭

Does the US MINT retain obsolete coin dies, in any museum or vault? And is it legal to collect, own, or posses them?

Comments

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 6, 2019 7:56AM

Certainly it’s legal to own the ones they sold at various times. It seems legal to own the ones they put in the garbage as well.

Never seen legal-to-own specimens of the ones in the photo.

• MrTeaMrTea Posts: 56 ✭✭✭

It seems risky to allow the tools to strike legal coins to be publicly owned without defacing them in some way. Counterfeiting and striking “new” rare coins come to mind.

edited June 6, 2019 8:09AM

@MrTea said:
    It seems risky to allow the tools to strike legal coins to be publicly owned without defacing them in some way. Counterfeiting and striking “new” rare coins come to mind.

I haven’t seen newer coin dies, after mid-19th century, that are not defaced. In the early 19th century, the Mint threw away non-defaced dies and people used them to make restrikes. There hasn’t been an opportunity for this in a long time.

Usually old dies have problems and don’t strike perfectly. For rare coins, the condition of the die usually gives away a restrike.

They also cannot produce the quantity of coins needed to be worthwhile for commercial use.

Counterfeiters generally make their own dies, e.g. tier 1 classic counterfeits and modern Sacagawea and UK pound coins.

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,526 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MrTea said:

They don't anymore. They completely deface the dies before they release them.

I do not know, but @RogerB or someone else might know if they retain any dies for museum purposes. I would kind of doubt it given their counterfeiting concerns.

edited June 6, 2019 8:58AM

The “easy” way to create a counterfeit die is to make a transfer die from a coin. Basically this is using the coin as a hub. This has been done recently, I believe with large cents.

I’m still curious about the process Paul Franklin used to make the Clark Gruber double eagles. Was the host coin ever identified?

• StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 6, 2019 8:08AM

@MrTea When I saw the title of this thread ”Coin Dies” I thought it was going to be a sad Memorial thread about an unfortunate coin Passing Away!! 🤣😂 LOL!!

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

The mint sold dies from the 1996 Olympic Commems. They are cancelled with an X ground into them, but nearly all of the detail is visible.

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

Once at an ANA show a man showed me an uncancelled S-Mint Seated Liberty Dollar reverse die. He was asking for offers.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • ACopACop Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

R.I.P Coin

• BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭✭✭

It seems like the Branch Mints did not destroy retired dies in the earl to mid 20th Century.

While researching coin die usage at the Denver Mint, it says that the dies were returned to Philadelphia for destruction.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was in the Engraving Department at the Philly Mint in the 70's. Hoskins and I were shown a closet filled with old dies covered with grease. We were given one but I cannot remember anything about it. I had to wipe my hands off with a rag. After that, It was hard to imagine how a die could ever rust.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

All the more modern dies I have seen are cancelled with large X or cross...Cheers, RickO

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MrTea said:
    Does the US MINT retain obsolete coin dies, in any museum or vault? And is it legal to collect, own, or posses them?

https://www.fredweinberg.com/product-category/coin-dies-and-misc/

• RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

The US Mint is prohibited from having a public museum or similar facility. SI is the official place.

• MitchellMitchell Posts: 528 ✭✭✭✭
    Successful BST: dmwjr, ike126, bajjerfan, morganman94, sonoradesertrat, 12voltman, duiguy, gsaguy, gsa1fan, martin, coinfame, zas107, bothuwui, gerard, kccoin, jtwitten, robcool, coinscoins, mountain_goat, and a few more.
  • jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,526 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hemispherical said:

@MrTea said:

As I recall, when they sold the state quarter dies they were completely smooth with no trace of design.

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@Hemispherical said:

@MrTea said:

As I recall, when they sold the state quarter dies they were completely smooth with no trace of design.

This is true. I consider these dies to no longer to be actual dies and are now just scrap metal. One of my coin collecting friends from my coin club bought one from the mint and was very disappointed with what he got. Earlier dies from the 1960's were defaced with a torch and some show partial designs on their face.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• 1northcoin1northcoin Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 8, 2019 5:46AM

Not sure what happened to my post after I tried to edit to add a photo, but here is a link to another thread that contains a photo I took of the dies that are on display at the Nevada State Museum housed in the old Carson City Mint Building.

The dies were discovered when excavations were done around the mint building. One of the dug up dies was used to make a few "coins" complete with the X marks. (Zoins has posted a photo of one of those coins on the linked thread as well.)

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/914924/remembering-the-pony-express-at-the-carson-city-mint-a-photo-essay

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file