Home U.S. Coin Forum

Finally, my Proof Dollar Olympic die set is complete

MitchellMitchell Posts: 526 ✭✭✭✭
edited March 19, 2018 11:11AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I recently had the pleasure of finally completing my silver dollar 1995-1996 Olympic die set. The set consists of ten proof dies, four obverse designs and one reverse type for 1995 with four more obverse and one more reverse for 1996.

The Olympic silver $1 and gold $5 dies are the only dies that the US Mint has ever sold that were only partially defaced. The only available silver dollar dies were the proof version, while gold five dollar dies were available in proof and uncirculated versions. The fun part of collecting these dies is that all of the dies have most of their design intact. It's kind of cool to hold a hefty chunk of numismatic steel in your hand.

Since I also enjoy collecting numismatic documentation, I'm also presenting the cover letter from the US Mint announcing the sale of dies along with the order form. I had tried to get a die back in 1996 but, like many others who ordered a die, was denied my order since the number of orders exceeded the number of dies available. Since the order limit for dies was one, the dies were dispersed throughout the country (if not the world). Assembling this set took about seven years to complete and was accomplished through several different venues including the BST board here and eBay.

Along the way, I've been building a gold die set but given the limitations of availability (gold dies are rare when compared to the dollar dies) and my so-called coin-budget, completing this set will take as long if not more. The good news is that I did manage to find the rarest gold die (only 8 available) - the proof version of the Torch Runner die.

Uggh, I spaced out. I forgot to add an image of the brochure describing the die sales.
Note that the Mint states that they've coated the die with an anti-varnish coating (probably some oil).
Other sources (Steven Bieda, The Numismatist Jan. 2010) report that the dies were re-engraved when necessary and may have also been re-plated.

(edited to increase the photo sizes)

Successful BST: dmwjr, ike126, bajjerfan, morganman94, sonoradesertrat, 12voltman, duiguy, gsaguy, gsa1fan, martin, coinfame, zas107, bothuwui, gerard, kccoin, jtwitten, robcool, coinscoins, mountain_goat, and a few more.

Comments

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 17, 2018 3:10PM

Congratulations! That is quite an accomplishment :)

• CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a tough set to put together. At one time I had six of them but gave up trying to finish it off.
    Wish I had kept one.....

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a great project and a great set.

• davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is quite an accomplishment. Over the last 10 years I have had a couple and think I sold them in the $700-$800 range (and have seen some priced even higher). I have never seen a picture with 10 together.

• TomBTomB Posts: 20,697 ✭✭✭✭✭

Holy Cow! This is a fantastic achievement! Truly, this is really cool.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool! :#

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

What an amazing achievement and set....Congratulations and best of luck with the gold set of dies...Cheers, RickO

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

I suggest that you cover the dies with some appropriate product so that they remain pristine and free from any deterioration.

• alohagaryalohagary Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭✭

Awesome

@Insider2 said:
    I suggest that you cover the dies with some appropriate product so that they remain pristine and free from any deterioration.

What is an appropriate product? I’ve seen some of the plastic/wax covers created on US Mint dies that have become collectible themselves. How can those be created?

edited March 18, 2018 9:39AM

Don't take my advice without getting input from others, but I am thinking a quick rubdown with a silicon cloth like those used on guns.

Are US coin dies bare steel? Chrome plated? Either way, treat the whole thing like the surface of a coin (don't touch it without gloves).

@dcarr might have some good advice on the perils that may befall die steel.

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

People collect everything and even though I do coins this is one set I never even though of doing. Great set and I'm sure quite a challenge to obtain them all.
    well done,
    bob

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

Terrific accomplishment! Well done!

Cheers

Bob

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice!

• metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice. Of those, I only have the 1995 bicycle in BU. The coin that is.

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,431 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a very impressive achievement. I know how happy you must be.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:

I checked a couple hundred pages in my photobucket account and came up with these. The die comes with blue velvet bag, a certificate saying reason for die being removed, and a gold plastic cap to protect surface. I found a struck version and added with mine to play with. I strongly suspect that when these sell, all pieces are included (maybe not a struck coin) as you can not really slab anything.

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,412 ✭✭✭✭✭

Way cool

• coinhackcoinhack Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭✭

That is a great set and it is very scarce, as you know. I have two of the dies. A Gymnastics obverse and a reverse. Congratulations on your full set.

• braddickbraddick Posts: 22,995 ✭✭✭✭✭

I once, back in the early 2000's had a full set of Beanie Baby Bears. Yours is a much greater accomplishment. Congrats!

peacockcoins

What did these sell for new? I did get a state quarter die but those are ground off and have not appreciated in value.

• TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

The letters are scarcer than the dies, many were not saved

Frank

BHNC #203

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,431 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Treashunt said:
    The letters are scarcer than the dies, many were not saved

I agree. I have handled two Olympic dies, and neither of them had any of stuff that came with them from the mint. Neither the letter nor the die cap were included with them.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,714 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've probably handled more of these
    than any dealer, and although I've seen
    that letter before, it was never with any
    of the dies I've purchased from the public
    or other dealers in the past 21 years.

A wonderful accomplishment, impressive
    to see, and most difficult to complete due
    to some of those $5 Dies !

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022

I read the letter and it seems to have been an advertisements for the "last chance" sales of the coins and dies. Interesting that for $49 you got a die, but no choice was given.

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@Insider2 said:

What is an appropriate product? I’ve seen some of the plastic/wax covers created on US Mint dies that have become collectible themselves. How can those be created?

Ask a chemist. The dies I saw in a closet at the mint in the 1970's were covered with grease (I don't remember the color of the stuff.) If I owned one, I would degrease it (vapor) and coat it. What I would use to coat it may not be correct so I'm not going to post any bad info beyond my expertise here!

• FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,714 ✭✭✭✭✭

Although the shaft's can get a bit of rust/corrosion,
    I don't recall any of the surfaces of either the $1's
    or $5's that rusted.

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Mr Lindy Mr Lindy Posts: 980 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 1, 2018 6:00PM

That's a great set of $ dies !

How many $5 Gold dies do you have Mitchell ?

• MitchellMitchell Posts: 526 ✭✭✭✭

I have 3, all of the 1995 dies (1 proof, 1 unc and 1 reverse proof die).

No 1996 dies since I keep spacing out (yeah super embarrassing) on the ending times of auctions. :/

Successful BST: dmwjr, ike126, bajjerfan, morganman94, sonoradesertrat, 12voltman, duiguy, gsaguy, gsa1fan, martin, coinfame, zas107, bothuwui, gerard, kccoin, jtwitten, robcool, coinscoins, mountain_goat, and a few more.
  • jtlee321jtlee321 Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stuff like this is so cool.. Thank you for sharing your inspirational collection!! :)

• dcarrdcarr Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice collection !

It seems strange that the US Mint released X-cancelled dies for Proof and UNC $5 Olympic coins of 1995-1996 (all W-mint), but they never released any UNC (D-mint) silver $1 dies (they only released P-mint proofs). That is a shame because my coin press was the one that struck all the UNC silver dollars and it would have been neat to reunite such a die with my coin press ;)

I did buy a set of restrikes by Regency Mint where they used a 1995 Track & Field obverse paired with their own reverse die. They got in a little bit of trouble and had to cut off the sales prematurely due to the Olympic Rings logo on them.

I also paid a fair amount for a 1995 UNC $5 reverse die so that I could use it. I chose that one because, of all the available dies, that one is the most generic. There is no Olympic logo or symbol on it. Except for the small "1896-1996" on the banner, it is like a normal Eagle $5 gold die. Here is what I made with it:

• ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a really interesting set. Nicely done.

edited April 2, 2018 7:45PM

I picked up a 1995 W Proof Reverse die which 39 were issued. My die serial number is W5 630138.
    Mitchell, I am curious if your same die serial number falls between W5 630100 to W5 630138, which would equal the 39 sequentially numbered dies.

Thank You !

@Mitchell said:

No 1996 dies since I keep spacing out (yeah super embarrassing) on the ending times of auctions. :/

• bigmountainlionbigmountainlion Posts: 203 ✭✭✭

I saw the mailer and was only able to afford some 1996 unc dollars.

@LindyS said:
    I picked up a 1995 W Proof Reverse die which 39 were issued. My die serial number is W5 630138.
    Mitchell, I am curious if your same die serial number falls between W5 630100 to W5 630138, which would equal the 39 sequentially numbered dies.

Thank You !

@Mitchell said:

My reverse die is numbered W5-630268. From what I've read, the dies that were offered for sale may not be all of the dies used. Some may have had substantial wear or damage. My reverse die struck 2657 coins and was retired in August 1997 because of wear.

@dcarr said:
    Nice collection !

It seems strange that the US Mint released X-cancelled dies for Proof and UNC $5 Olympic coins of 1995-1996 (all W-mint), but they never released any UNC (D-mint) silver $1 dies (they only released P-mint proofs). That is a shame because my coin press was the one that struck all the UNC silver dollars and it would have been neat to reunite such a die with my coin press ;)

I did buy a set of restrikes by Regency Mint where they used a 1995 Track & Field obverse paired with their own reverse die. They got in a little bit of trouble and had to cut off the sales prematurely due to the Olympic Rings logo on them.

I also paid a fair amount for a 1995 UNC $5 reverse die so that I could use it. I chose that one because, of all the available dies, that one is the most generic. There is no Olympic logo or symbol on it. Except for the small "1896-1996" on the banner, it is like a normal Eagle $5 gold die. Here is what I made with it:

I like what you did and have been tempted to buy one of your restrikes on ebay.
    We should talk sometime - see my post on my gold die collection. I have one of the uncirculated 1995 Stadium dies that could pair off with your uncirculated 1995 reverse die.

Yeah, the gold dies are not cheap.

• thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@Insider2 said:

I cut dies, and I store them with a piece of plastic foam soaked with WD-40 inside of a cap.

thefinn
  • RichRRichR Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭✭✭

As a fellow collector and holder of several of these X cancelled Olympic dies, may I offer this advice: that other major TPG grading service recently started a service to encase these dies in a special sealed rectangular tube/slab. The price is $50 for each die.

There was a December 11, 2018 article in Coinweek titled NGC Now Certifies and Encapsulates Cancelled Dies. The finished product is pretty cool looking.

Thanks for the suggestion but I have decided for now not to use this service. It doesn’t make a lot of sense for me. I will have to spend a minimum of $500 not counting postage and insurance for a collectible where this kind of packaging has yet to demonstrate that much financial return.

The Olympic die market is very thin and prices as of late don’t seem to me to say this is a necessary move. Maybe in the future....

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

What fun is owning a die if you cannot hold it in your hands?

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
    edited April 6, 2019 11:53AM

@CaptHenway said:

Can't the same be said about coins?

I'm holding a 1831 CBH in PCGS plastic right now. It's a very different feeling than holding a raw coin.

edited April 6, 2019 11:51AM

I wonder if they would do PhotoVision photos for these?

It would be interesting to see if PCGS will slab and take TrueViews of these.

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 6, 2019 11:55AM

@Zoins said:

@CaptHenway said:

I'm holding a 1831 CBH in PCGS plastic right now. It's a very different feeling than holding a raw coin.

Exactly!

I have held 1804 dollars, 1913 Liberty Nickels, 1894-S dimes and the 1870-S half dime in my hand. Holding them in plastic diminishes them.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
    edited April 6, 2019 12:17PM

@CaptHenway said:

@Zoins said:

@CaptHenway said:

Exactly!

I have held 1804 dollars, 1913 Liberty Nickels, 1894-S dimes and the 1870-S half dime in my hand. Holding them in plastic diminishes them.

Do you have any photos showing you holding those coins raw? It's amazing how the common becomes the uncommon over time.

I love the the photos posted by @cardinal showing him holding the PCGS SP66 1794 Flowing Hair dollar:

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1007249/as-close-to-raw-as-i-ll-ever-get/p1

edited October 16, 2021 8:19AM

Awesome X Cancel Die Collection Mitchell !

I just noticed the early 25 item die availability list includes silver dollar Unc production dies & individually priced with product codes at top of post. Two things that did not occur as roll out evolved.

Over the decades I have been in & out of coin collecting. When the dies were offered up I was not collecting coins.

You are the King of X Cancel Dies !

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file