Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What Do You Think Series: 1919-D PCGS MS63FH Standing Liberty Quarter

seduloussedulous Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 16, 2020 9:08PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Thank you to everyone who challenged me to start this SLQ thread. I am not fully experienced in starting threads. Picked this '19-D quarter out of the raw in Choice BU for a non-FH price. What do you think?

• Tim

A Barber Quartet is made up of Nickels, Dimes, Quarters, and Halves.

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    REALGATORREALGATOR Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks close to FH. That spotting in the lower obverse might be a concern? Overall looks nice but this is not a series I've spent much time on.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a nice SLQ....The spotting on the obverse looks like residue from a dip.... you might try an acetone bath to remove any residues....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for moving - actually it is a coin deserving of its own thread!

You might consider removing it from the 2x2 holder and reshooting the images - though you did
    a pretty good job as it is.

Assuming the coin is legit (and I have no reason to really doubt it), that is an amazing strike and level
    of preservation for that date. The strike is almost TOO bold, as the date appears fully rounded, which
    is very unusual for this issue (along with many other T2 coins). I think I once owned a VF with that same
    die break across the date....I know my AU did not have that feature.

Yes, if that is some residue on the obverse, you may consider removing it or having it 'professionally conserved'.
    From what I'm seeing, looks like contact marks commensurate with a 63 coin, but luster deserving of a 64, and possibly FH on a good day.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm no expert on this series but I have to wonder why a coin like that is not slabbed.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 4, 2019 7:13AM

It's mighty white and looks like a fresh dip with residue already forming on the obverse.

Looks like it could designate as a Full Head depending on the day at any TPGS.

Can't tell if it's truly UNC in the cellophane or a AU slider?

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options

I don't believe it is a "fresh dip" as @Broadstuck you call it. It was part of an old time collection that included other SLQ's in choice to gem BU: '20-P, '23-P, '28-S, '29-P, '29-D and a die-clashed 1892-O in about MS63-ish I reckon'. The '23-P had the most blazing luster I have ever seen on an SLQ but enough marks to keep me from making a purchase.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,912 ✭✭✭✭✭

@291fifth said:
    I'm no expert on this series but I have to wonder why a coin like that is not slabbed.

Because there are still more raw collections than slabbed collections.

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

@sedulous said:
    I don't believe it is a "fresh dip" as @Broadstuck you call it. It was part of an old time collection that included other SLQ's in choice to gem BU: '20-P, '23-P, '28-S, '29-P, '29-D and a die-clashed 1892-O in about MS63-ish I reckon'. The '23-P had the most blazing luster I have ever seen on an SLQ but enough marks to keep me from making a purchase.

I'd be a millionaire if I just had a dollar for every time I heard a coin being promoted as being from a OLD TIME COLLECTION.

The dip residue is fresh as it's still cloudy white turning yellow in a year or so it will turn golden brown.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like maybe some hard water residue, possibly from an improper post-dip rinse. if it was pvc haze it would not be on the lowest points of the design such as that bit between the leg and dress fold. If that is some friction on the knee it would probably limit it to 63FH. it looks less offensive in the 1st obv pic.

Nobody likes trying to evaluate coins through cellophane, however.

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,050 ✭✭✭✭✭

Based on the images, my guess is MS64 (with a shot at MS63) and a good possibility of a FH designation.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

@291fifth said:

It is now slabbed! geeked on the outcome.

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

Re: how rare, there are 69 non FH MS63's listed in CoinFacts, vs- 21 for FH MS63....and the total number of MS FHs looks to be around 65 coins, and there are likely some resubmittals in here as well.
    I would say you got yourself a very nice and desirable coin there - and one heckuva first time raw SLQ purchase!

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great coin for a 63 FH. Most FH's aren't that well struck in all areas. I guess they didn't want to give you the full score of a 64 FH. But it looks worthy of that to me. Stacked up against MS63's I'd say yours would be one of the best ones. This date probably doesn't show up very often in an absolute 100% full head.

You should go back and try to buy the other non-FH blazers.

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,824 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats!!

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    edited June 4, 2019 2:01PM

@roadrunner said:
    Great coin for a 63 FH. Most FH's aren't that well struck in all areas. I guess they didn't want to give you the full score of a 64 FH. But it looks worthy of that to me. Stacked up against MS63's I'd say yours would be one of the best ones. This date probably doesn't show up very often in an absolute 100% full head.

@roadrunner, thanks for the advice. Being a Barber quarter guy, I was a bit nervous putting down big $ beyond what I saw as a great pick-up of a rare date at what I thought was a very, very, very reasonable price at the time. I just liked the overall quality of this '19-D irrespective of the date, but only am I starting to realize with all of these comments (also @Walkerguy21D) how special it might be. Thank you so much for giving me insights into this SLQ. I might go grab the '92-O next since it is still available from my source... and because it lies closer to my comfort level of Barbers.

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,328 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice!
    Looks like you're several thousand ahead on this purchase!

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,973 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's awesome!

Congratulations!!

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options

I got a line hook in on a 1918/7-S in FH... never graded before, never auctioned, never reported. Should know more late next week. I can't believe or expect it to not be a Details grade... will see, will report in a while.

-T

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fun and congratulations!

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options

@sedulous said:

@roadrunner said:

@roadrunner, thanks for the advice. Being a Barber quarter guy, I was a bit nervous putting down big $ beyond what I saw as a great pick-up of a rare date at what I thought was a very, very, very reasonable price at the time. I just liked the overall quality of this '19-D irrespective of the date, but only am I starting to realize with all of these comments (also @Walkerguy21D) how special it might be. Thank you so much for giving me insights into this SLQ. I might go grab the '92-O next since it is still available from my source... and because it lies closer to my comfort level of Barbers.

As a follow-up to those who might have been curious since this coin came from the same grouping as the 1919-D FH 25c...
    I have the 1892-O Barber Quarter with Clashed Dies. It is also a PCGS True View: #38521460. Holy smokes, it came back as an AU58 and the image is immaculate. Condition Census. I have had so many inquiries already and interest in the coin.

• Tim

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,300 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you got that 19d for non FH money, you scored well. Congrats on a beautiful collectible. Thanks for sharing.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,358 ✭✭✭✭✭

LOVE the SLQ series.

Nice quarter, but I prefer them original I suspect this ones had a bath or two. I'd say it's a min of MS63 FH. Nice coin!

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@sedulous
    I have the 1892-O Barber Quarter with Clashed Dies. It is also a PCGS True View: #38521460. Holy smokes, it came back as an AU58 and the image is immaculate. Condition Census. I have had so many inquiries already and interest in the coin.

congratz on the 19-d 25c 63fh! well done.

the 92-o 25c fs-901 is a very nice 58. good looking coin. there are 2 in the pops in unc at pcgs attributed as fs-901.

keep up the good work. can't offer a valuation on the 92-o as there just isn't much data. unless offered a big premium, i'd hold onto it for a bit as what little data there is don't show much premium yet. BUT, you'll be excited to learn, if you didn't already know. your coin is on the coinfacts page!

keep on sharing...

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wasn't back yet when this started, but my first thought when I saw the coin ... 63 ... 98% shot at FH. needs an acetone dip and maybe a q-tip on the right obverse ... and then, that' s a heck of a coin.

Looks like that played out well for you. Congratulations!

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    jomjom Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 19D is a great coin...congrads!

jom

• Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats on the score and this worked out well for you.

But I think it’s a risky strategy in general buying expensive raw uncirculated coins unless you’re an expert or you have lots of gamble in you.

• Options

@skier07 said:

But I think it’s a risky strategy in general buying expensive raw uncirculated coins unless you’re an expert or you have lots of gamble in you.

It does take a bit of fortitude, I'll give you that. What also might be helpful is having a dealer friend you have known for a very long time and emphatically have a great, trusting relationship with. In my case, I would only spend that level of money with this specific individual I grew up with and is one of my best friends since high school (40+ years ago) who just happened to become a coin dealer for his career once graduated and out on his own. 😁 Unique case.

• T

• Options

@LanceNewmanOCC

the 92-o 25c fs-901 is a very nice 58. good looking coin. there are 2 in the pops in unc at pcgs attributed as fs-901.

... and I believe my coin goes toe-to-toe with those uncs in quality and unobtrusive color. Of course, this is my sole opinion.

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,973 ✭✭✭✭✭

@sedulous said:

@skier07 said:

It does take a bit of fortitude, I'll give you that. What also might be helpful is having a dealer friend you have known for a very long time and emphatically have a great, trusting relationship with. In my case, I would only spend that level of money with this specific individual I grew up with and is one of my best friends since high school (40+ years ago) who just happened to become a coin dealer for his career once graduated and out on his own. 😁 Unique case.

• T

Yo're lucky, as most dealers would simply send it in to be graded, themselves, so as to maximize profit. He sounds like he is a very good friend.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭✭✭

@sedulous said:

@skier07 said:

• T

I agree with you 100%, but this wasn’t mentioned in the OP and thus my above response.

• Options

@Walkerfan said:

@sedulous said:

@skier07 said:

• T

Yo're lucky, as most dealers would simply send it in to be graded, themselves, so as to maximize profit. He sounds like he is a very good friend.

Well he is. He also believed the specimen to be borderline FH and err'd on the side of being conservative. His shop received what he felt was the margin required. If the '19-D was non-FH, it would have been full money in the purchase more than likely (minus a slight discount).

• Options

@sedulous said:
    If the '19-D was non-FH, it would have been full money in the purchase more than likely (minus a slight discount).

---but---

He also believed the specimen to be borderline FH and err'd on the side of being conservative

just curious if my logic is sound here.

if there was no chance it was FH, it would have been a little more money but since it was close, it was discounted possibly leaving a few grand on the table?

or was this the logic of not sending the coin to a tpg?

i'm not picking on him. with all the thousands of decisions we makes as dealers/collectors, i know i look back on more than a few and wonder, how in the world did i come to THAT decision!

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options

$2100 in PCGS Price Guide for a 63 in non-FH ($2200 if +). Nice for the grade, listed the coin at $2500. but I was able to obtain it for $2300. (being conservative as a non-FH). I saw the coin, took the chance that it might FH, sent it into our hosts, came back 63FH ($8,500 / $10,500 for the +).

• Options
    ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭✭✭

That was a good gamble with minimal downside on your part. At a minimum you get a good-for-the-grade pretty coin. For the dealer, they got the margin they needed and got quicker cashflow while also making a longtime friend/customer happy. Looks like wins all around!

• Options

@sedulous said:
    $2100 in PCGS Price Guide for a 63 in non-FH ($2200 if +). Nice for the grade, listed the coin at $2500. but I was able to obtain it for $2300. (being conservative as a non-FH). I saw the coin, took the chance that it might FH, sent it into our hosts, came back 63FH ($8,500 / $10,500 for the +).

i understand this party pretty easily i must have just been processing your wording wrong. no ill intent.

have you considered the coin may go higher if conserved?

• Options

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

@sedulous said:

i understand this party pretty easily i must have just been processing your wording wrong. no ill intent.

have you considered the coin may go higher if conserved?

I have. Vicken V. from SB thought it might be worth an attempt for a +. I am unsure whether I would go the conservation route. It is what it is the way I received it. I am not always of the opinion there should be further "processing". I have had "processing" go from acceptable to worse through professional conservation on too many other occassions.

• Options
    edited July 7, 2020 1:45PM

@sedulous said:

opinion there should be further "processing". I have had "processing" go from acceptable to worse through professional conservation on too many other occassions.

i agree. my first impression is that the brown/tan stuff on the surface may be from residue of someone else dipping/conserving the coin and it may benefit from some basic/professional TLC not only for the potential monetary upside but the long-term preservation on of the coin.

i don't know 99.9% of the people on these boards so if i see something or think i do that may be of benefit, i'd rather take a moment than to not as i really have no idea of their knowledge/experience. :smiley:

with a coin like this, the value notwithstanding, if a person has had a little experience dipping a coin, preferably diluted, a little can go a long way BUT only if experience applies. i do agree about some professional conservation attempts making things worse and you may be perfectly happy with this result and let the next guy take the risk.

• Options
    edited July 16, 2020 6:59PM

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

@sedulous

congratz on the 19-d 25c 63fh! well done.

keep up the good work. can't offer a valuation on the 92-o as there just isn't much data. unless offered a big premium, i'd hold onto it for a bit as what little data there is don't show much premium yet. BUT, you'll be excited to learn, if you didn't already know. your coin is on the coinfacts page!

keep on sharing...

Lance, How do you think the Clashed Die '92-O on CoinFacts stacks up against the higher condition census 63 and 64 specimens? I personally like this 58 in comparison shown in the picture here just above the text.

• Options

you're gettin' nothin' outta me. :expressionless::tongue:

• Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think that Barber is stunning.

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options

Well, for instance, I question the MS63 as a true BU. I see wear on the coin in all honesty.

• Options

@sedulous said:

to not insult others' coins, i will say since it is in a 58 holder, i still would take the graded 64 (the ms 64 has some pvc issues i think.) as it has nice lightly crusty surfaces and is an already graded 64. yours does have a good eye appeal but has certainly spent some time in a jacuzzi. even having said that, to say i think your coin will NEVER be in a unc holder in the future would be a lie but i'm in the crusty/grungy camp when it comes to coins. conservation has its place but when a coin has special surfaces, some originality, my heart skips a beat due to how many coins i've seen stripped.

lets say i like your coin simply because it is one of the few attributed ones. sometimes low pops are slightly more attractive than the coin surfaces, to me.

some big coin shops over the decades made millions turning back rooms into processing stations. came blame em, too many like em nice n bright white and if that is what the customer wants...

sure they look nice but rarely are they original white. those usually exhibit some faint mint grease and a satiny smooth unbroken luster. the only time those are tampered with without obvious signs are by dipping savants.

on a side note, (i came across an article posted on vamworld about old counterfeiting rings and individuals that used to be able to "shave" a minute amount of gold off of double eagles as the weight wouldn't be as affected. shave by chemical processing. but i digress.

now you have the 19-d and 92-o, lets see the $10k profit or the pop 1 in any grade; will settle for discovery! :mrgreen::mrgreen:

• Options

@sedulous previously said "... through professional conservation on too many other occasions."

I should clarify here that I have not had "MANY occasions" - I was talking from a relative perspective out of a small total population. In other words, too large of a percentage out of a small population was returned where the professional conservation had gone awry.

• Options

Update: This coin did not pass at CAC.

Thanks everyone, have a great day!

• Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

I must've missed this thread the first time around, and now reading the full thread I realize that it's a great story, and interesting sequence of events. Sorry to hear that it didn't CAC, but hey, it's still a great coin.

• Options
    jomjom Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭✭✭

@sedulous said:

Any chance of finding out why it failed?

jom

• Options

@jom said:

@sedulous said:

Any chance of finding out why it failed?

jom

Probably as an outcome of my unwillingness to acetone out the opaque light brown areas on the obverse before holdering. My guess.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file