Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What do you think of this new Standing Liberty Quarter?

WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 21, 2019 10:08AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Thoughts, opinions and comments, please.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

Comments

• Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice, 65FH? The 27 comes nice and the obv is about as well as they come struck, just a bit weak on the skirt where it drapes over the leg.

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

nice quarter walker. is that a full head on it or is it my eyes?

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

The details on obverse rim jumped at me. She is mighty fine @Walkerfan!

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks pretty darn close if not FH.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dang nice two bits piece.

• Options
    WhitWhit Posts: 318 ✭✭✭

This is an exceptionally lovely example of one of the most beautiful federal coinage designs. My mother's birth year, to boot. Of course, I might like it a bit better if it came with an "S".
    Whit

Whit
  • Options
    eddie1943eddie1943 Posts: 36 ✭✭

I have three standing liberty's. A 1920 MS64, a 1930 MS66, and a 1917T2 MS63FH and I think full shield. Your's, Walker is a fine coin. I don't see the ear hole required for a full head, but should grade high. Shield rivets are good.
    Eddie

I'm 75 years old, so there is nothing new about me.

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it a lot.

• Options

@eddie1943 said:
    Shield rivets are good.

You can always tell an aficionado of the series - I don't like FH coins that have missing shield rivets.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a very nice, original coin.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    breakdownbreakdown Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭✭✭

From the photo, it has a great looking skin.
    I could never collect a series with the FH or FBL or whatever strike designation but this is a really nice type piece (unless you’re starting a new set).

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

Outstanding!

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    edited May 21, 2019 1:43PM

@breakdown said:
    From the photo, it has a great looking skin.
    I could never collect a series with the FH or FBL or whatever strike designation but this is a really nice type piece (unless you’re starting a new set).

Thanks. I have been messing around with Morgan and Standing Liberty one per date sets.

I am not going for the highest grade that I can find in full head. But rather; I've just been buying pieces that I think are good for the grade, although some do happen to be designated full head, while many are not.

I have approached it the same way that I approach my Walker set, by buying choice through gem coins that look under graded and PQ within their respective grades.

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great looking coin with lots of luster and a solid strike, nice addition.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice one. MS66 FH.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well done. A proud piece.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭✭✭

Photo 1/2 to one stop overexposed. Looks dipped. Well struck and clean surfaces. Photo does not indicate to me if it is, or is not a FH. Would not pay FH money for it. Nice coin; better strike than what you find on most later date P Mint Type II SLQs.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 21, 2019 3:59PM

Nice example but not close enough for FH designation as the hairline is not defined.

Reverse light brown might be dip residue that's turning not toning.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options

It's graded MS 64 FH and is in an old blue, prong-free, PCGS slab.

• Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 21, 2019 10:41PM

Looks like a blazer, but one set of photos make it difficult to truly judge the coin. Surfaces seem a bit better than 64 to me. How's the luster? Is it a bit muted? What am I missing?

Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fantastic coin.
    I thought it looked like a 66.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice..that is a real beauty...gets the blast white seal of approval... ;) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

Excellent!

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks really original. Very wholesome SLQ!

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    COINS MAKE CENTSCOINS MAKE CENTS Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

very nice looking coin for sure !!!!!!!!!

New inventory added daily at Coins Make Cents
    HAPPY COLLECTING

• Options

@MikeInFL said:
    Looks like a blazer, but one set of photos make it difficult to truly judge the coin. Surfaces seem a bit better than 64 to me. How's the luster? Is it a bit muted? What am I missing?

You’re not missing a thing. It’s clean, sharp and lustrous. Looks conservatively graded to me.

• Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 23, 2019 1:39PM

That's a head-scratcher then.

Generally head-scratchers, at least when I run into them (lol), are a result of my missing something rather than an under-grade.

What do you grade the coin, Walkerfan?

Because it sure looks like (at least) a 65 to me.

Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options

Thanks. The head looks real full and better than in the pictures. There is ear hole and full hairline. I agree with you, as I think it’s at least a 65.

• Options
    jtlee321jtlee321 Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love SLQ's and this is a great example! I know that the Mint is considering changing the design of the Silver Eagle, this design would be a great replacement for the WLH design currently in use.

• Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Walkerfan said:
    It's graded MS 64 FH and is in an old blue, prong-free, PCGS slab.

Looks 65 or better to me. Unless there are hairlines we can't see in the photo, looks undergraded.

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,831 ✭✭✭✭✭

My first impression was 65, but I couldn't see an ear hole. .. very nice!!

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    seduloussedulous Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't mean to drop onto this thread to divert attention away from the original question. What do you think of this raw pick-up?

'19-D SLQ FH (barely) out of an old time collection in the central midwest.

A Barber Quartet is made up of Nickels, Dimes, Quarters, and Halves.

• Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

@sedulous what I think is that it probably deserves its own thread.

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options

Agree - should be in a separate thread.....assuming everything is legit, that's a monstrous '19D, a very tough date. Not that I suspect anything, other than it's almost too sharp for that issue.

• Options

Apologies for stepping on Walkerfan's thread here. I am improving my understanding on starting new threads. Thank you @clarkbar04 and @Walkerguy21D for your advice. I named the thread almost the same but as (Part 2).

• Options

@sedulous said:
    Apologies for stepping on Walkerfan's thread here. I am improving my understanding on starting new threads. Thank you @clarkbar04 and @Walkerguy21D for your advice. I named the thread almost the same but as (Part 2).

No worries. That is a really nice 1919-D. Tough date!!

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,817 ✭✭✭✭✭

66FH and stellar .

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options

Regarding the '27 SLQ and from the notes by Cline, there are three levels of FH. In his book on the subject pg. 92, there is "ultimate" FH, sharp FH, and minimum FH. "Variation such as an indistinct sharp line separating Miss Liberty's face in the temple, cheek, and throat areas" and that opinions vary - "even among the experts"... I would say you are on the border of the minimum full head category. I am not an expert of the series but would also estimate the quarter to be in the gem category with above average frost an minimal marks like at the eagle's wing feathers. Seeing holder scratch areas above the breast and also guessing it is in an NGC or ANACS? what is the grade?

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,642 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s a really nice coin.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options

@sedulous This picture is deceiving. If you see it in hand you can see that it has complete full head detail. I already posted the grade above. It is a 64 FH.

• Options
    lonn47lonn47 Posts: 236 ✭✭✭

I HAVE THE SAME 1927 COIN BUT YOURS IS NICER,GOOD SHINE TO IT

• Options

@Walkerfan said:
    @sedulous This picture is deceiving. If you see it in hand you can see that it has complete full head detail. I already posted the grade above. It is a 64 FH.

I didn't see your grade comment above. Agree with FH. I think it should be a point higher, however. Nice coin.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file