Incredible Bank Heist Four Dimes

rmuniakrmuniak Posts: 97 ✭✭
edited May 15, 2019 4:52AM in U.S. Coin Forum

This is the result of an earlier post https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/comment/12325593#Comment_12325593 about getting from a bank over 5000 coins for $150. Nickels dimes and pennies
So far all I unwrapped was the dimes..
Unwrapped the dimes and can't believe the silver. My hands were shaking. Here is the tally.
1-300 Roosevelt silver
2-55 Mercury
3- 400 pre-1965-1972
most au-50 -unc-60



This one was in an aluminum foil wrapper and consequently the dimes were pristine. mostly au-50 to und-60


Comments

  • DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 3,847 ✭✭✭✭

    Nice!!

  • HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭✭✭

    That is cool! I see some Mercs, good stuff!

  • MaineJimMaineJim Posts: 534 ✭✭✭✭

    That is a nice silver mining trip to the bank. Congrats.

    Jim

  • SmudgeSmudge Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Could this be part of the release some collectable coins into the wild thing in April?

  • dennis1219dennis1219 Posts: 198 ✭✭✭

    Great haul.

  • SmudgeSmudge Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @jmlanzaf said:

    @Smudge said:
    Could this be part of the release some collectable coins into the wild thing in April?

    doubtful. They should not be clustered like that. Looks more like someone took Dad's collection to the bank not knowing they were anything but regular dimes.

    Just thought the lack of 21's was irregular, but they were uncommon anyway.

  • JBKJBK Posts: 5,138 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I am happy for the OP but sad for the collector's family who is slowly dumping his/her collection at face value.

    I would fear the old adage that "no good deed goes unpunished" but at some point I might be tempted to pull the bank manager aside and ask if they can alert the depositor to the great loss of value they are incurring by not considering the numismatic or even bullion value. A few old rolls or even one big dump is one thing, but a ongoing stream of what was obviously someone's collection is tragic. Just wait until they start bringing in gold coins and trying to cash them in at face value. :'(

    A teller at a local bank told me how some kid once brought in a pile of Franklin halves that his grandfather had given him. The Coinstar machine would not take them so he wanted to cash them in at the bank. She alerted him to the fact that they were silver and worth more than face value, but he could not have cared less. So, she bought them herself with a clear conscience. o:)

  • rmuniakrmuniak Posts: 97 ✭✭

    Seriously...

  • Eric_BabulaEric_Babula Posts: 181 ✭✭✭

    @rmuniak said:
    This is the result of an earlier post https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/comment/12325593#Comment_12325593 about getting from a bank over 5000 coins for $150. Nickels dimes and pennies
    So far all I unwrapped was the dimes..
    Unwrapped the dimes and can't believe the silver. My hands were shaking. Here is the tally.

    Ok, seriously! How on earth do you get a bank to save that kind of stuff and call you to pick it up??? What do you say to them? How do you get their cooperation? Is this a small town bank, where they don't have too much to do, so it's easier to look for stuff like this? I'm soooo curious as to how you got so lucky!!! That's an incredible haul! I'm very jealous, but extremely happy for you!!!

    I want a "bank girl" (or guy - I'm not picky!) to save stuff like this for me!!!

    When my friends and I used to go golfing at certain courses, the "beer cart girl" would come around to the players to sell refreshments. She would usually get to us somewhere around the 3rd to 5th hole. We'd buy drinks and tip her VERY well, and ask her to come back to us every three holes. They always would, and we would be happy golfers!

    Your "bank girl" deserves a $$$ gift card to a really nice restaurant, or something!!!

    But, really, I need to know your methods to get someone to help you out like this! How?!?!

  • JBKJBK Posts: 5,138 ✭✭✭✭✭

    You keep calling your repeated good fortune at someone else's expense a "bank heist".... :/

    Congratulations.

  • rmuniakrmuniak Posts: 97 ✭✭

    Eric... Look like and act like a kindly old grandpa

  • mr1874mr1874 Posts: 4,127 ✭✭✭

    Not really a collection. Just someone who took an accumulation of dimes to the bank and cashed them in for folding money for face value. Lots of ignorance about coins out there.

  • rickoricko Posts: 67,001 ✭✭✭✭✭

    That is incredible.... a coin collectors dream.....Congratulations.... Cheers, RickO

  • Eric_BabulaEric_Babula Posts: 181 ✭✭✭

    @rmuniak said:
    Eric... Look like and act like a kindly old grandpa

    I'm 52, but look younger. At least I like to think I do! I can't pull off the "old grandpa" thing yet..... :neutral: How do I sweet-talk them into saving stuff for me? :wink:

  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 19,441 ✭✭✭✭✭

    way cool, congrats

  • SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 8,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

    My wife found a 1964 dime two days ago. I was excited at her find.

    This thread is a deflation of my elation. :'(

    Congrats on a great silver strike.

  • rmuniakrmuniak Posts: 97 ✭✭

    My problem now is were to start. I still have to organize the 20 rolls of nickels. I know there are 7 rolls of war silver. Then the pennies, not that exciting . alot of wheat. I am still digesting the last 3 hauls. Have onl;y gotten through the fifties nickels and now I have 20 more rolls to add to that. So first I will document the new nickels (roll wise) and then the pennies. Than I will add the new nickels to the old and do a Microscope inspection. At the same time I expect to get more calls from the bank. He hasn't dropped off any quarters yet. I know it's a man,was told that. Trying not to be too snoopy. Couple names on the rolls, but google search hasn't gotten me anywhere. It's all good stuff albeit a little daunting.
    Thanks for your interest, I will try to keep you informed.
    One things for sure I am not going to try and stop this fool from doing what he has been doing. I am not the least feeling guilty. i am sure the vast majority of you guys and gals would do the same thing.

  • KkathylKkathyl Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Awesome. Dont shake unless you film it and let us all watch. :)

  • thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 15, 2019 2:10PM

    That's bigger than most people's stacks.

    Edit typo

  • air4mdcair4mdc Posts: 331 ✭✭✭

    Nice score

  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 19,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Holy Moly as James Woods once said in a movie!


    All Dimes All Varieties

    Coins for sale

    Canadian Dimes Set


    Washington Quarters All Varieties 32-64


    >RIP -image Rebecca 2004-2018...If love could have saved you - you would have lived forever<
  • kbbpllkbbpll Posts: 421 ✭✭✭

    A truly amazing haul. My "ethical" concern would be that it's all stolen. Banks don't have to keep track of this kind of thing the way pawn shops do, at least in my state. $35.50 face in silver dimes worth $380 melt - is anybody really that stupid?

  • HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @rmuniak said:
    My problem now is were to start. I still have to organize the 20 rolls of nickels. I know there are 7 rolls of war silver. Then the pennies, not that exciting . alot of wheat. I am still digesting the last 3 hauls. Have onl;y gotten through the fifties nickels and now I have 20 more rolls to add to that. So first I will document the new nickels (roll wise) and then the pennies. Than I will add the new nickels to the old and do a Microscope inspection. At the same time I expect to get more calls from the bank. He hasn't dropped off any quarters yet. I know it's a man,was told that. Trying not to be too snoopy. Couple names on the rolls, but google search hasn't gotten me anywhere. It's all good stuff albeit a little daunting.
    Thanks for your interest, I will try to keep you informed.
    One things for sure I am not going to try and stop this fool from doing what he has been doing. I am not the least feeling guilty. i am sure the vast majority of you guys and gals would do the same thing.

    Recommend a focus and not just roll them, if it goes in a roll then it’s junk silver.

    Focus. Separate by date and mintmark which looks like your doing. Then research known rarities and take them out for first study. Then decide on another area to focus on. Maybe error coins. What’s left is put in roles to sell for melt or thereabouts.

    An idea and worth a bit less than 2c.

  • grote15grote15 Posts: 27,083 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Very awesome find but somewhat sad to see someone taking these to the bank at face value. Does the bank even know what is inside these rolls? I would certainly second the idea of buying a gift card for whomever is setting these rolls aside for you as a gesture of thanks.



    Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • rmuniakrmuniak Posts: 97 ✭✭

    1-I fully intend to reward the gals at the bank maybe Godiva this time
    2-Banks are not in the business of sorting or inspecting coin rolls , not cost effective.
    3- Thanks for advice on what to do
    4- Stolen. I think not, this is 6 times this guy (supposedly an older gentleman) he has been there.
    5- "Holy Moley" Walter Matthau "Grumpy Old Men"
    6- I hope finding a dime isn't the only thing about your wife that excites you.
    7- Agree about the ignorance out there... Some people pay 12% to exchange change at a Coin Star Machine
    8- Again to the guy that wants me to find the guy and warn him "seriously" see number 7
    9---Lastly here are the previous and going forward post for all my "Heists"
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1017836/incredible-bank-heist/p1?new=1
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1018046/incredible-bank-heist-deux#latest
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1018717/bank-heist-tres-and-advice#latest
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1019676/incredible-bank-heist-four#latest
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1019713/incredible-bank-heist-four-dimes#latest

Sign In or Register to comment.