Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Incredible Bank Heist

Last summer I received a roll of quarters from a certain bank. It was marked silver and couldn't believe my eyes when I discovered they were all 1919-1964 readable dates. After 5 months of going back and nothing this happened in a one month span(4 visits).
1- 144 half dollars
2- 140 half dollars
3- 2800 nickels
4- 2000 nickles
So here is the list of collectibles.
1- 240 Kennedy 65-69 uncirculated
2- 6 90% 60-65
3- 400 buffalo nickels 1919- 1938 good -fine
4- 1800 war nickels mostly fine
5- 26 rolls of 1959-69 uncirculated nickels
6- 15 rolls mixed 1939-42 and 1946-49 nickels
I have sold off all the 40% silver basically for melting value except for the buffaloes (50cents@). Now I'm wondering what to do with numbers 5 and 6... Any thoughts?

A world without coins "Chaos"

Comments

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,640 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a haul. Flipping the nickels wb tough. Perhaps some nickel hobbyist.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats!

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the board!

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome,

It would be hard not to stop by that bank every day. :)

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,697 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow!!!

What state or part of the country did this haul come from?

• Options
    rmuniakrmuniak Posts: 267 ✭✭✭

the midwest

• Options
    LJenkins11LJenkins11 Posts: 726 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a score, any pics? Welcome to the board.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

nice I like

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, what a haul, congratulations !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

Getting a premium for the nickels THAT IS WORTH YOUR WHILE will be difficult. Your best move may be to just turn them in at the bank.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rmuniak Welcome to the forums.

Lots of silver!

Please post some pics of:

5- 26 rolls of 1959-69 uncirculated nickels
    6- 15 rolls mixed 1939-42 and 1946-49 nickels

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

Would this be more of a rural part of country situation? My guess is the expensive parts of the US or even cities would be unlikely to see that many silver coins turned in as money.

• Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had a deal like that one time and it felt like Christmas opening up the rolls.

• Options

I didn't think to take photos.. Sorry.. My premise when I started collecting again (first time when I was 12 and dont have anything from that time) was to pay a penny for a penny and have not broken that rule as of yet. I have 900 coins (pennies nickels dimes halves and dollars). I have traded coin for coin as with last month lucked out with the banks. I probably increased my coins by 30 or so with this last haul...My plan is to join a local coin club and try and trade some of the haul. I saved 80 of the buffaloes and a few of the halves. Thanks for the feed back...Ray

• Options

Heres the pic of my 19
    39-70 unc. and circ. nickels

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice score.

Are the rolls truly unc or just nice looking coins in rolls pieced together from a huge pile of nickels?

• Options

The blue rolls are from fed.reserve 59 and up were already in wrappers, however I opened a couple and found slight marks so I can only guarantee extra fine. I am putting them up for bids starting at 8 cents each plus shipping. Have 3 people interested. Closing bids after my coin club meeting next thursday

• Options
    BigDowgieBigDowgie Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭✭

Check for 1939 DDR and 1941-S Large S RPM-002 and 1943-D / Horizontal D. If none, put them back into circulation! Let someone else get a thrill!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rmuniak... Welcome aboard... nice finds on the keepers... good luck disposing of the rest.. coinstar/credit union... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rmuniak said:
    The blue rolls are from fed.reserve 59 and up were already in wrappers, however I opened a couple and found slight marks so I can only guarantee extra fine. I am putting them up for bids starting at 8 cents each plus shipping. Have 3 people interested. Closing bids after my coin club meeting next thursday

Post the info on the BST (buy/sell/trade) forum some here might be interested.

https://forums.collectors.com/categories/buy-sell-trade-u-s-coins

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file