Home Sports Talk

*** PGA Championship contest -- CONGRATS VETTFANATIC! ***

galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 19, 2019 4:00PM in Sports Talk

I'm happy to report that was anything but anticlimactic; the back nine was dripping with drama. I know I thoroughly enjoyed the tournament and contest, and I hope you guys did too. My mission was to get some of you to watch golf on Sunday instead of taking a nap, and I think I accomplished it. lol

Congrats goes out to vettfanatic. Shoot me a private message with your e-mail addy linked to PayPal and your winnings will appear in a flash.

Thanks for playing fellas!

Comments

• 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,226 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fired up!

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

Let's Go!!

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,582 ✭✭✭✭✭

What could have been done to avoid a possible tie, is the member with the 17th pick, automatically gets the rest of the field.

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 11, 2019 7:28AM

@stevek said:
    What could have been done to avoid a possible tie, is the member with the 17th pick, automatically gets the rest of the field.

not quite understanding where you're coming from, but the tie i was referring to was two or more entrants with golfers who finish highest in the tournament with the exact same score. for example, no one picks the actual winner, but two guys each draft a golfer who finish tied for second place at, say, 8-under par. in that case, i would split the money. there's really no way to break said tie, and any attempt to do so would be unfair and impractical.

• erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just hope Happy Gilmore is still on the board when my pick comes up.

@perkdog said:
    Galaxy I must say I am very impressed with how you put this together 👍

thanks p-dog. just trying to inject a little fun. or a recruiting ploy for the sport of golf.

one or the other. :p

@galaxy27 said:

@stevek said:

not quite understanding where you're coming from, but the tie i was referring to was two or more entrants with golfers who finish highest in the tournament with the exact same score. for example, no one picks the actual winner, but two guys each draft a golfer who finish tied for second place at, say, 8-under par. in that case, i would split the money. there's really no way to break said tie, and any attempt to do so would be unfair and impractical.

Your contest instructions are crystal clear to me.

My contest rule suggestion for the last member to pick, instead of just picking one golfer, he would automatically receive the "field" in this case meaning getting all the rest of the golfers who weren't chosen by the other 16 members.

Lets say there are 100 golfers in the tourney. The last member would receive 84 golfers which are all going to be long shots, and perhaps gives him at least some chance to win.

This would assure that some member would have picked the winning golfer.

Either way, it's a great contest, and we're all looking forward to it. :)

I just saw that 1951WheatiesPremium got the 17th spot. Too late now I guess to change the rules, but he would have received all of the other golfers who weren't picked.

In any event, i'd wish everyone good luck on the contest, but you'd know I wouldn't mean it. ;)

I'm hoping to win the damn thing. :)

edited May 11, 2019 8:07AM

@stevek said:

@galaxy27 said:

@stevek said:

My contest rule suggestion for the last member to pick, instead of just picking one golfer, he would automatically receive the "field" in this case meaning getting all the rest of the golfers who weren't chosen by the other 16 members.

Lets say there are 100 golfers in the tourney. The last member would receive 84 golfers which are all going to be long shots, and perhaps gives him at least some chance to win.

my bad, i see what you are saying now. good thought, but 84 vs 1 would be extremely unfair for the other 16 entrants. sure, 1951WheatiesPremium is drafting last, but rest assured there will be unselected golfers who can bring home the bacon for him.

for example, let's say the draft mirrors the Bovada odds. well, just to name three, #18 (Mickelson), #19 (Scott) and #20 (Stenson) have ALL won majors before. in other words, the cupboard will not be bare.

moreover, two guys in this field -- Rich Beem and Shaun Micheel -- won the PGA Championship years ago. has anyone (who doesn't closely follow golf) ever heard of them? bueller? bueller? anyone? bueller? exactly. ;)

as predictable as this may seem on the face, it's could potentially be just as unpredictable.

@galaxy27 said:

@stevek said:

@galaxy27 said:

@stevek said:

my bad, i see what you are saying now. good thought, but 84 vs 1 would be extremely unfair for the other 16 entrants. sure, 1951WheatiesPremium is drafting last, but rest assured there will be unselected golfers who can bring home the bacon for him.

for example, let's say the draft mirrors the Bovada odds. well, just to name three, #18 (Mickelson), #19 (Scott) and #20 (Stenson) have ALL won majors before. in other words, the cupboard will not be bare.

moreover, two guys in this field -- Rich Beem and Shaun Micheel -- won the PGA Championship years ago. has anyone (who doesn't closely follow golf) ever heard of them? bueller? bueller? anyone? bueller? exactly. ;)

as predictable as this may seem on the face, it's could potentially be just as unpredictable.

Amazing to me that Mickelson is 40 to 1 considering all that. I don't follow the PGA tour, but I guess he's been cold as of late.

That's a good point you make though. A guy such as Mickelson, 18th in the odds, could wake-up, get the adrenaline going, perhaps some old aches and pains aren't bothering him come tee off time, and he competes for the lead.

All that being said, i'm at pick #5, so there's no way I'm choosing Mickelson. I'm going to be taking the lowest odds player available...playing the percentages. :)

@stevek
    @galaxy27

Last pick? In the words of the great Prince Akeem:

Thanks for running a great contest. And To be clear, I am just very happy to be here and don’t care about picking last.

(Amen)

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

@craig44

Slow play it. Make the pick Wednesday night.

@1951WheatiesPremium said:
    @craig44

Maybe he's waiting for an offer to trade down? 🤷

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,357 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

@craig44

😂😂😂

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

@craig44

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

On man, first pick. Too much pressure.

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

I am a patriots guy, so maybe I will trade it for a second and third this year and a first next year...

Tiger, Tiger, Tiger

• ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tyger, Tyger burning bright...

Andy

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lee Trevino!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

I don't know much about golf, so I will go with the odds.

Tiger Woods for me!!!

@craig44 said:
    I don't know much about golf, so I will go with the odds.

Tiger Woods for me!!!

This is clearly a stat-driven decision. You obvy didn't check out his WAR, FIP, BQR (not to mention BQR-S), wRC+, etc. Come on, bro, you're better than this. <3

Andy

Haha, I know, right!

@BLUEJAYWAY

On the clock...

"It's only gonna get funner." -Roy Halladay

Andy

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Kind of puts the pressure on everyone to check in frequently for their "up"

I'll take Sergio if he is still available.

• vettfanaticvettfanatic Posts: 643 ✭✭✭

It’s my turn next. So I don’t hold things up I’m going to put my pick in now. I’ll take Brooks Koepka as my choice. If BLUEJAYWAY picks him then I’ll have Rickie Fowler as my 2nd choice.

Thanks
    Jeff

I just heard on the news that Dustin Johnson has come down with the Bubonic plague, as well as a bad case of hemorrhoids and an ingrown toenail. It might be best not to choose him.

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jason Day will be my choice.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".

3 down, 14 to go

@LEMONHEAD_PENNY do your thang

Oh my goodness, quick, turn on the TV news right now. After alleged to have murdered his ex-wife and her boyfriend, Dustin Johnson in a white Ford Bronco driven by his friend, is being pursued down the highway by dozens of police cars with a helicopter flying overhead filming the event live.

I'd say the chances right now are probably certain that Johnson will withdraw from this golf tournament.

@stevek said:
    Oh my goodness, quick, turn on the TV news right now. After alleged to have murdered his ex-wife and her boyfriend, Dustin Johnson in a white Ford Bronco driven by his friend, is being pursued down the highway by dozens of police cars with a helicopter flying overhead filming the event live.

I'd say the chances right now are probably certain that Johnson will withdraw from this golf tournament.

I'm going to be a good sport. Steve, I promise I won't pick Johnson.

Andy

@ahopkins said:

@stevek said:

I'm going to be a good sport. Steve, I promise I won't pick Johnson.

Of course that's an easy promise to make because at your pick #13, we all know that Johnson will be long gone by then. :)

In fact, I have top secret inside information that Dustin Johnson will be gone by pick #5 at the latest. ;)

@stevek

Isn’t Dustin Johnson a bit of a risky pick? There’s breaking news that he was behind the Russian hacking...

• sorry, please give me Rory Mcllroy .
    THANKS!!

Dustin Johnson

In what can only be described as a surprising move, @stevek has selected George Brett.

In what can only be described as a surprising move, @stevek has selected George Brett.

A little too late with the smack post, i already picked. :)

@stevek said:

You know that joke works no matter what!

@stevek said:

You know that joke works no matter what!

Yea, but it would have worked better three minutes earlier. ;)

All I know is i'd sure as yell hate to be picking last at #17. Might only be some golfers left who need a road map after they tee off. :D

Congrats on the pick, Steve. We were all pulling for you.

Andy

@ahopkins said:

Yea, but we'll see if you still say that if your pick and my pick are tied for the lead after 72 holes. ;)

@stevek said:

@ahopkins said:

Yea, but we'll see if you still say that if your pick and my pick are tied for the lead after 72 holes. ;)

If this is the case, winner buys the loser a cheesesteak at the joint of his choice.

Andy

@ahopkins said:

@stevek said:

@ahopkins said:

If this is the case, winner buys the loser a cheesesteak at the joint of his choice.

Well the odds of that happening has to be over 1,000 to 1. But i will say if my pick Dustin Johnson comes up poorly for this tournament, i hope your pick does well. :)

I heard Dustin Johnson is a huge Mets fan and hates the Eagles.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

@grote15 said:

Andy

@grote15 said:

Dustin Johnson (from Wiki) grew up in South Carolina and currently resides in Florida.

He's probably a Panthers or Falcons fan, and he could hate the Eagles, but he sure as yell ain't no huge Mets fan. :D

edited May 12, 2019 6:54PM

@stevek said:

@grote15 said:

Dustin Johnson (from Wiki) grew up in South Carolina and currently resides in Florida.

He's probably a Panthers or Falcons fan, and he could hate the Eagles, but he sure as yell ain't no huge Mets fan. :D

Lots of transplanted New Yorkers in Fla, he may have met one at one of those early bird dinner places and been converted, LOL..