Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Russian Collusion

BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

Russia is now doing it's part on eBay to deceive buyers with non copy marked replica coins.

All these sold for under $50 shipped and there are SO many 1883 fake Hawaiian coinage listed it's just too much to report.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!

Comments

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,948 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder how many are headed for the flea market circuit?

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Labor is cheaper.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,915 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 18, 2019 7:43AM

Very sad. Seems like this has been going on for such a long time now and is getting worse. It doesn’t seem like there’s any concerted effort to deal with this.

Is this kind of like the War on Drugs where it will keep coming as long as people here buy them?

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,487 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 18, 2019 7:45AM

Those things look like Chinese products. At any rate its all garbage regardless of the source.

I thought that collectors usually wanted items like the Lafayette Dollar and the Hawaiian coins in higher grades. Who is buying this garbage that looks like low grade struff? Also these coins were usually of more interest to advanced collectors, not the casual kind. How many advanced collectors are falling for this?

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    edited April 18, 2019 7:54AM

@BillJones said:
    Those things look like Chinese products. At any rate its all garbage regardless of the source.

I thought that collectors usually wanted items like the Lafayette Dollar and the Hawaiian coins in higher grades. Who is buying this garbage that looks like low grade struff? Also these coins were usually of more interest to advanced collectors, not the casual kind. How many advanced collectors are falling for this?

Agree these like like crude copies often coming from China, but garbage no matter where they are from.

As for collectors falling for these, I wonder how many are buying from foreign sources versus buying from US middlemen sellers with full knowledge of what they are selling.

There’s the flea marker comment above and Americans have been arrested for importing and selling fakes.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very sad. Thanks for pointing it out.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

It always was and sad to say always will be a fact that there are people who want to make money the easy way .... dishonestly!

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,526 ✭✭✭✭✭

@291fifth said:
    I wonder how many are headed for the flea market circuit?

plenty :(

• Options
    planetsteveplanetsteve Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭✭

It’s amazing to me how these international counterfeiters find all these niches for exploitation. I wonder how many other kinds of collectibles are being targeted... and what backgrounds the fraudsters come from.

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rusky hawked Chink crap.

bob :(

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    EdtheloraxEdthelorax Posts: 229 ✭✭✭

Why not make thousands if not millions when the authorities don't care about enforcing the laws?

http://www.silverstocker.com
    Anyone can PM me Any Time about Any thing.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

What garbage! :rage:

• Options
    santinidollarsantinidollar Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

They don’t know how to stop this stuff. Don’t have a clue, pure and simple.

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 18, 2019 12:36PM

The Lafayette with no mention of being fake was originally started at $6.99 opening bid.

The seller changed it to a BIN while I reported it which did nothing.

Since it was the only fake up as an auction I feel someone could have been out a couple hundred.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    EdtheloraxEdthelorax Posts: 229 ✭✭✭

@santinidollar said:

I am going to keep complaining and hopefully someone with better connections than I have (ANA?) will convince the FTC to prosecute some of the US sellers of this crap. If all the collectors would join forces, we as a group could pressure them to do something.

In the mean time I will continue to play Whack-a-Mole getting the ones I find removed from Ebay.

http://www.silverstocker.com
    Anyone can PM me Any Time about Any thing.

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Edthelorax said:

@santinidollar said:

I am going to keep complaining and hopefully someone with better connections than I have (ANA?) will convince the FTC to prosecute some of the US sellers of this crap. If all the collectors would join forces, we as a group could pressure them to do something.

In the mean time I will continue to play Whack-a-Mole getting the ones I find removed from Ebay.

Might want to report to the Industry Council for Tangible Assets
    https://www.ictaonline.org/ they have been involved in some of the latest counterfeiting busts.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

It maybe real , did you try giving it a wipe? Like with a cloth?

• Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭✭✭

@valente151 said:
    "Russia, if you’re listening, I hope you’re able to find the 30,000 fake comemoratives that are missing. I think you will probably be rewarded mightily by our collectors."

That has to be nominated for post of the year. Your timing is prescient.

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the heads-up !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

These coins are more aptly termed 'deception'.... not collusion... two different things. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is no more a detriment to the hobby than our host slabbing obvious AT coins by the thousands.

• Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

the difference is that AT coins are authentic...at least last time I checked.
    But, joke aside.
    some time ago I suggested that all US citizens and members in coin forums should write their Congress people and the CIA and whoever else in Govt. they can.
    demanding that Border officers are more strict with fakes and that you will be prosecuted if you sell fakes, knowingly or not. the same goes for Canadians.. wright to your MP and any other MP.
    In Canada mail to the elected or appointed Government officials (MP's and Senators) , is free if sent via Canada post.
    to their Ottawa address. I do not know if it is free in the US to write to you congress person.
    However, this campaign should be directed to EVERY MP (Canada) or congress person, not just your own rep.
    the result would most likely be instant or close to it and laws will be passed and directions go out.
    Just imagine if every rep will get several thousand of letters asking the same thing.....can you imagine this happening for a few weeks in a row..???
    To go political is the ONLY way to go, demanding laws will be enforced.
    But, be honest people, most of us rather take the attitude: Oh, that does not affect me, why should I spend my time on that?
    well, we could do up a simple form letter .....NOT spam if addresses to a person.
    So, exercise your option and keep on buying fakes and stop complaining, **OR do something about it!!

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    edited April 19, 2019 9:26AM

@bolivarshagnasty said:
    This is no more a detriment to the hobby than our host slabbing obvious AT coins by the thousands.

Our host has asked for proof. Has any been provided?

Also seems like a lot toners are originating in the US, with many coming out of Florida.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file