Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Ready for a NEW QUARTER??? Women's History Quarter Program

OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

As the State Park Quarter program winds down next year, prepare for a brand new set of quarters celebrating women from each state! According to CoinWeek, "a culturally and historically important woman" starts the set with Alabama and "changing reverses honoring women's history" and their right to vote. And they will be released in all the different finishes and with pucks too. CoinWeek also states when this third ever-changing quarter program ends, we will get back to a stabilized quarter with the Eagle back on the reverse, but a new George on the obverse...George crossing the Delaware.

So from 1998 through 2032, how many different quarters will we have had?? 170?

How many of us will even be alive to see the final new design of George? Might as well flip a coin, got a quarter?

Best Answers

• Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    edited April 18, 2019 11:22PM Answer ✓

Wouldn't it be cool to issue Parody Quarters along the Lines of the Topps " Garbage Pail" Kids Cards. I'm talking downright irreverent hilarious Coins that all Kids, Street People and even Grannie would be trying to Collect. This serious History Stuff doesn't really interest anyone..... does it? Give the masses something that crackes them up in fits of Laughter.

Don't try to entice anyone with investment potential. Give everyone something to brighten up their day. Make em smile.

• Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am in but these ten year programs make me start to really question how old I’m going to be when it’s all over 😜

1. Whoof

Answers

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,757 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is this a law already enacted or just a proposal?

• Options

@JBK said:

It is a proposal. And weren't we supposed to have Harriet Tubman on the twenty dollar bill too?? Years from now...maybe...

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,203 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 14, 2019 11:34AM

Bring on the uncirc. W's.

linky dinky doo to Coinworld

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:
    Bring on the uncirc. W's.

linky dinky doo to Coinworld

Read link. :|

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 14, 2019 1:24PM

@Hemispherical said:
    Have to think up something soon or the quarters will revert to the ol’ design.

Edit to add: Which I prefer.

Quoting myself for a reference point.

@JBK said:

The first quarter ATB was issued in April 2010 (see US Mint link below) and based upon the PL 110-456 a decision has to be made for a second round around April 2019 and submit a report within 30 days to the Committee on Financial Services of the House of Representatives and the Committee on Banking, Housing, and Urban Affairs of the Senate.

My guess is that what is occurring with @Onastone CoinWeek’s citing in the first post and @derryb link to Coinworld’s article are the preliminaries for second round of ATB quarters. :|

So it’s not really a “New” quarter program just a continuation of the current. Oh well, time to find some Au!
    ——-

“(B) SECOND ROUND AT DISCRETION OF SECRETARY.— ‘‘(i) DETERMINATION.—The Secretary may make a determination before the end of the 9-year period beginning when the first quarter dollar is issued under this subsection to continue the period of issuance until a second national site in each State, the District of Columbia, and each territory referred to in this subsection has been honored with a design on a quarter dollar.
    ‘‘(ii) NOTICE AND REPORT.—Within 30 days after making a determination under clause (i), the Secretary shall submit a written report on such determination to the Committee on Financial Services of the House of Representatives and the Committee on Banking, Housing, and Urban Affairs of the Senate.
    ‘‘(iii) APPLICABILITY OF PROVISIONS.—If the Secretary makes a determination under clause (i), the provisions of this subsection applicable to site and design selection and approval, the order, timing, and conditions of issuance shall apply in like manner as the initial issuance of quarter dollars under this subsection, except that the issuance of quarter dollars pursuant to such determination bearing the first design shall commence in order immediately following the last issuance of quarter dollars under the first round.
    ‘‘(iv) CONTINUATION UNTIL ALL STATES ARE HONORED.—If the Secretary makes a determination under clause (i), the program under this subsection shall continue until a second site in each State has been so honored.”

‘‘(8) DESIGNS AFTER END OF PROGRAM.—Upon the completion of the coin program under this subsection, the design on—
    ‘‘(A) the obverse of the quarter dollar shall revert to the same design containing an image of President Washington in effect for the quarter dollar before the institution of the 50-State quarter dollar program; and
    ‘‘(B) notwithstanding the fourth sentence of subsection (d)(1), the reverse of the quarter dollar shall contain an image of General Washington crossing the Delaware River prior to the Battle of Trenton.”

https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/PLAW-110publ456/pdf/PLAW-110publ456.pdf

——-

US Mint’s ATB release dates:
    https://www.usmint.gov/learn/coin-and-medal-programs/america-the-beautiful-quarters

• Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

Please no, Heavenly Father.

thefinn
  • Options
    smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭

@thefinn said:
    Please no, Heavenly Father.

Amen!

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 14, 2019 3:58PM

I think it's a ploy to force collectors to go cashless.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    TetromibiTetromibi Posts: 944 ✭✭✭✭✭

More parks please...

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,688 ✭✭✭✭✭

Like Canada, they overwhelm us with countless different coins. It certainly gets old! :s

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,505 ✭✭✭✭✭

im done with the quarters after the national parks are done. its becoming a pita now, jmo

• Options
    edited April 16, 2019 5:03PM

Here we go. :|

—————

Modern Coin News – U.S. Bill Proposes Women’s History Quarter Program
    By CoinWeek - April 12, 2019

On March 27, 2019, Representative Barbara Lee (D-CA13) introduced a bill to authorize the Treasury Department to strike a new multi-year quarter series of changing reverses honoring women’s history and the 19th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution, which guaranteed a woman’s right to vote in 1920. The new program would begin after the last coin in the America the Beautiful Quarters series, the Tuskegee Airmen National Historic Site quarter representing Alabama, is released in 2021.

An earlier version (H.R. 5308) of the bill was previously introduced by Representative Lee on March 15, 2018 in the 115th Congress.

The bill (H.R. 1923), entitled the Women’s History and Nineteenth Amendment Centennial Quarter Dollar Coin Program Act, would mandate the production of a maximum of five quarters per year, with each one representing a state, territory, or the District of Columbia. The first quarter would feature a culturally and historically important woman from the state of Alabama.

Proof and Uncirculated coins are allowed, as are 90% silver versions. Silver bullion products, like the popular series of America the Beautiful 5oz silver coins, are also authorized.

The first clause in the bill regarding the quarters’ designs gives the Secretary of the Treasury some flexibility when it comes to the placement of inscriptions on the coin. The quarter must currently feature LIBERTY, UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, and the denomination on the obverse and E PLURIBUS UNUM on the reverse, but the Women’s’ History Quarters bill allows for these legends and mottos to be flip-flopped should a design require it. The positioning of the national motto IN GOD WE TRUST on the obverse cannot be altered.

Otherwise, the design of each quarter must be “emblematic of the accomplishments and contributions of a prominent woman who was a resident of a State, the District of Columbia, or a territory” and also include the name of both the woman and the state, district or territory that the coin represents. Designs will be selected by the Treasury Secretary after consultation with the governor or chief executive of the territory or state, the engravers at the United States Mint, and groups and organizations that work for the inclusion of women and the improvement of women’s lives. Final design candidates will be reviewed by both the Citizens Coinage Advisory Committee (CCAC) and the Commission of Fine Arts (CFA).

The first five women to be honored must be chosen by December 31, 2020, with the selection process beginning by April 1 of that year. “Head and shoulders” bust portraits are prohibited, as are any such designs that might make the coin look like it is “two-headed”. Depictions of living individuals are likewise proscribed.

After the Mint produces the last coin of this new series, the design of the obverse of the quarter will revert to the one used before the 50 State Quarters Program began in 1999. The design of the reverse will feature a portrayal of George Washington crossing the Delaware River, as featured in the memorable 1851 painting by Emanuel Leutze.

https://coinweek.com/modern-coins/modern-coin-news-u-s-bill-proposes-womens-history-quarter-program/

• Options

H.R. 1923, entitled the Women’s History and Nineteenth Amendment Centennial Quarter Dollar Coin Program Act has been referred to the Committee on Financial Services.

There is one co-sponsor. Unless there are more co-sponsor then this will die in committee.

A good thing in my opinion. Bring back the ol’ George.

• Options
    DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 22, 2019 1:29PM

deleted

I apologize for the above poor attempt at humor which landed like a lead balloon. Not intended as sexist. I was joking along the lines of responses to earlier posts re: state parks/inno-bucks/etc, which jokingly asked "what if a state didn't have any notable parks/innovators/etc?" Truly sorry.

• Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

They'll just use Alice Paul again.

• Options

@Onastone said:

@DBSTrader2 said:
    What happens if a state hasn't had any women worth honoring?

If that happens, maybe just Lady Liberty will be used.

Therein lies another problem... which version of the Lady. ;)

• Options
    santinidollarsantinidollar Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ll let Homer Simpson tell you my reaction:

• Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DBSTrader2 said:

That's one of the most sexist thing I've ever heard. Every State has women worth honoring.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,203 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 21, 2019 1:32PM

@DBSTrader2 said:

I can tell you, after having traveled this great country, there are/were many women in every state worthy of our honor.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options

@SkyMan said:

Every State has women worth honoring.

I agree! The problem will be in choosing which woman to honor from each state!

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,716 ✭✭✭✭✭

At some point there will be a bill introduced in Congress to have quarters that commemorate every member of the House and the Senate since the First Congress.

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

I swallowed a quarter once while playing quarters. The thumbmaster made a rule that you had to finish the whole glass in one gulp. I should break out the metal detector on myself, could be really toned after all those years. :D

• Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am conflicted a bit - as much as I think historically significant American women should be honored, and support a woman on the $20 bill, I think the quarter program implicitly demeans women by putting them in a "special" program. We would never have a state quarter program for "50 great men". I would like some perspective from women though, my view is subject to change based on that.

• Options

Would Beyonce or Oprah be open for Consideration . Marilyn?

Or are we talking about Women like Elizabeth Blackwell, Mary Cassatt , Georgia O'Keeffe, and Margaret Sanger. I would welcome Coins like this.

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭✭✭

With like a 2% chance of passage - no co-sponsors.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options

@BStrauss3 said:
    With like a 2% chance of passage - no co-sponsors.

Actually, there is one co-sponsor. He’s a newbie (elected and started in 2019).

Agree that the bill is more than likely NOT leaving the House Committee on Financial Services.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-congress/house-bill/1923/all-info?r=69

• Options

Okay, so without more co-sponsors this program will be a bust. But I'm certain something will take its place. We can't just have George and an Eagle on our quarters until we have another round of rotating designs. So what will it be? We've had states and parks. Inventions are already in the works on new dollars... Dog breeds? Car makes? American movies? Politicians? Birds? How about State capitals? Authors? Cereals? Clouds? Flowers? Foods? Bugs? Cats? Ice cream flavors? How about animals that have gone extinct? That's it!! Wouldn't you like a quarter with a Dodo on it or a Heath Hen?

• Options

@Onastone said:
    Okay, so without more co-sponsors this program will be a bust. But I'm certain something will take its place. We can't just have George and an Eagle on our quarters until we have another round of rotating designs. So what will it be? We've had states and parks. Inventions are already in the works on new dollars... Dog breeds? Car makes? American movies? Politicians? Birds? How about State capitals? Authors? Cereals? Clouds? Flowers? Foods? Bugs? Cats? Ice cream flavors? How about animals that have gone extinct? That's it!! Wouldn't you like a quarter with a Dodo on it or a Heath Hen?

All interesting, but I think it should revert to the ol’ quarter’s design.

For a new quarter, let’s not have a politician decide what they’ll sponsor.

Petition a congress person to have a bill to open up a public design campaign. After 12 designs are submitted by the public, then the public decides which one will be on the quarter.

This’ll be great, now people cannot complain about designs from the Mint but will have to complain saying... did you vote? :D

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

Over the past two decades, the mint and the government have found new ways to take a good idea, like the State Quarter program, and run it to the ground. Now that it appears to be going PC it will go subterranean.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,421 ✭✭✭✭✭

Will this program be followed by a men's history program? ;)

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

Sure.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,688 ✭✭✭✭✭

@topstuf said:

@PerryHall said:

Sure.

:D:D:D:D:D

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ParadiseFound should be the choice for Hawaii. :)B)

• Options

How about something old folks could get behind? Im talking about a Series on Centurians (Centugenarians?)- people who reach100 years of age Surely there aren't too many in that camp? But if there's some crazy high number, maybe the oldest known person from every State?

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 24, 2019 11:42AM

I thought the Mint was going to 999 silver to increase die life and save money, yet this mentions 90% again? Seriously, circulating quarters are one thing, but do we really need these designs on pucks too? Will they be curved?

I read that “Head and shoulders” bust portraits are prohibited, as are any such designs that might make the coin look like it is “two-headed”.

Thank God they thought about this legislation carefully, so that we won't have to look at 5 ounce, two-headed busts. It is critical that one side of the coin is a tail. Otherwise it is not worth flipping.

• Options

@Goldminers said:
    I thought the Mint was going to 999 silver to increase die life and save money, yet this mentions 90% again? Seriously, circulating quarters are one thing, but do we really need these designs on pucks too? Will they be curved?

I read that “Head and shoulders” bust portraits are prohibited, as are any such designs that might make the coin look like it is “two-headed”.

Thank God they thought about this legislation carefully, so that we won't have to look at 5 ounce, two-headed busts. It is critical that one side of the coin is a tail. Otherwise it is not worth flipping.

Fairly sure they are citing older legislation of silver content. All are supposed to be 99.9% starting this year.

Do not think the current effort for this type of quarter will go anywhere except sit in digital limbo until the next legislative term wherein it would expire. I hope.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-congress/house-bill/1923/all-info?r=69

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,716 ✭✭✭✭✭

Margaret Sanger?

It would be interesting to hear debates, for and against, having her placed upon a coin.

The debates may be so heated that a brawl breaks out between folks who usually get along.

• Options

@SanctionII said:
    Margaret Sanger?

It would be interesting to hear debates, for and against, having her placed upon a coin.

The debates may be so heated that a brawl breaks out between folks who usually get along.

I don't know about Sanger but as soon as a debate breaks out about the likes of Beyonce , I'll be in the mood for a Brawl. Throw in any of those mutant Kardassians and I'll really be disturbed.

• Options
    Schmitz7Schmitz7 Posts: 751 ✭✭✭

I think a “Corporate Sponsors” quarter program would be a great idea. Large corporations could pay to have a quarter with their logo on it, like they do with sports stadiums. The funds would then be used to pay down the national debt and could raise substantial sums of money. 😃

• Options

@Schmitz7 said:
    I think a “Corporate Sponsors” quarter program would be a great idea and could raise substantial sums of money. 😃

But don't you think that would cheapen our coins to the point of looking like tokens everywhere? Sure it would raise lots of money, but I can't stand ads and I would probably stop collecting coins at this point.

(This comment sponsored by ShopSmart Superstores and DentuChew Gum.)

• Options
    ms71ms71 Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 6, 2021 1:01PM

I don't collect modern stuff, but the designs seem worth of interest by the general public.

Successful BST transactions: EagleEye, Christos, Proofmorgan,
    Coinlearner, Ahrensdad, Nolawyer, RG, coinlieutenant, Yorkshireman, lordmarcovan, Soldi, masscrew, JimTyler, Relaxn, jclovescoins

Now listen boy, I'm tryin' to teach you sumthin' . . . . that ain't an optical illusion, it only looks like an optical illusion.

My mind reader refuses to charge me....

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file