Home Sports Talk

NBA playoffs start this coming weekend.

Comments

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

@erikthredd said:

@galaxy27 said:

@erikthredd said:
    @galaxy27 have you seen this latest ESPN article about the Rockets GM possibly making the entire team available in trade? Any thoughts? I think Capela would be a great fit with the Celtics Tatum/Brown timeline but I'd be curious to see what type of return Houston would want for him. Would they want a Brown/Tatum type of player back or would a bunch of picks and a few young prospect type players be enough.
    http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26847098/rockets-making-cp3-others-available

reeks of desperation but it's necessary and i like it. they had a shot two years ago, but Paul went down. had another shot this year when Durant went down. two squandered opportunities to get past GS. change is imminent.

Is this gonna be a start over rebuild or is it more about moving certain players? Along with Capela,Tucker is another player that i think would fit in well with Boston.

Harden will stay, but i envision multiple guys leaving town.........with Capela & Tucker being distinct possibilities

• erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭✭✭

@galaxy27 said:

@erikthredd said:

@galaxy27 said:

@erikthredd said:
    @galaxy27 have you seen this latest ESPN article about the Rockets GM possibly making the entire team available in trade? Any thoughts? I think Capela would be a great fit with the Celtics Tatum/Brown timeline but I'd be curious to see what type of return Houston would want for him. Would they want a Brown/Tatum type of player back or would a bunch of picks and a few young prospect type players be enough.

reeks of desperation but it's necessary and i like it. they had a shot two years ago, but Paul went down. had another shot this year when Durant went down. two squandered opportunities to get past GS. change is imminent.

Is this gonna be a start over rebuild or is it more about moving certain players? Along with Capela,Tucker is another player that i think would fit in well with Boston.

Harden will stay, but i envision multiple guys leaving town.........with Capela & Tucker being distinct possibilities

I think CP3 could fit in with the C's as a replacement for Kyrie but that contract at his age is just too much.

@erikthredd said:

@galaxy27 said:

@erikthredd said:

@galaxy27 said:

@erikthredd said:

I think CP3 could fit in with the C's as a replacement for Kyrie but that contract at his age is just too much.

i love CP3, but he comes to the arena every night with a gun and mask. he just turned 34, played 58 games on average the past two years, and his effective field goal percentage this past season was his worst since 2010-11. and here's what's on tap:

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SanctionII said:
    Does anyone think that James Harden is a player that would be able to LEAD a team through the playoffs and win an NBA title?

Harden is an amazing offensive player, of that there is no doubt. However, his style of play (isolation basketball where he dribbles the ball for most of the 24 second possession before either shooting a step back jump shot, driving to the hoop and drawing contact, or kicking the ball out to a teammate on the perimeter for a jump shot) leads to the players other than Harden standing around waiting for him to initiate and create.

If Harden happens to have an off night shooting (this is common), if he is aggressively defended by one or more defenders for most of the game and/or if he simply tires out and is exhausted in crunch time you end up with the results that Houston has had in the playoffs recently. Elimination of the Rockets before they ever reach the NBA Finals and Harden's playoff performances being less than stellar (compared to his regular season performance level).

To me Harden is one of the most overrated players in the NBA.

@galaxy27 said:

@erikthredd said:

@galaxy27 said:

@erikthredd said:

@galaxy27 said:

@erikthredd said:

i love CP3, but he comes to the arena every night with a gun and mask. he just turned 34, played 58 games on average the past two years, and his effective field goal percentage this past season was his worst since 2010-11. and here's what's on tap:

The money is why I wouldn't want him in Green even though his passing ability is what Boston needs most from their PG position. Kyrie would set his teammates up for better shots but only when he felt like it. A cheap alternative I'd be all for signing is Ricky Rubio. I don't want Kyrie back and Rozier really isn't much of a PG.

• SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

Game 1 starts in about 4.5 hours.

I wonder how LeBron James is feeling today?

Not playing in the Finals this year after doing so for the past 8 years must be very strange for him.

@SanctionII said:
    Game 1 starts in about 4.5 hours.

I wonder how LeBron James is feeling today?

Not playing in the Finals this year after doing so for the past 8 years must be very strange for him.

He better just get use to it. :)

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not nearly as confident of this prediction because I am not sure the Warriors will stay healthy.

injuries are always the big unknown and often the deciding factor.

--- I think it was the first year the Cavs and Warriors squared off in the Finals: Kevin Love had suffered a broken arm vs. the Celtics and then Kyrie Irving injured his knee in 2nd or 3rd game against Golden State --- match over.
    --- a few years ago it seemed the San Antonia had figured out how to really challenge and possible beat the Warriors. up by 28 points in an early game and Kawhi Leonard goes down with an ankle injury. Golden State stormed back and won the game, Leonard sat the rest of the series --- match over.

now it's Golden State's turn to be on the other side of that equation. if Kevin Durant and Andre Iguadala can't answer the bell, and soon, it may be enough for the Raptors to win the Championship. it's a long season and durability is the key.

That was a hard fought win by GS,Toronto had plenty of chances late yet kept missing shots. All in all GS has to be feeling good going home tied up 1-1. That Iguodala three was a dagger at the end.

edited June 3, 2019 5:11AM

gut check dub by the Dubs. guys ailing all over the place, but they found a way to win a game they had to win. that's what they do.

Cousins was huge

that 3 by Iggy may be the worst made 3 ever.........if he misses, they could easily be down 0-2. BUT, he made it. ultimately, that's all that matters. big playas make big shots, and he did just that

now Durant gets more time to heal

GS is the walking wounded. Durant, Cousins, Thompson, Looney, Iguadala, Damion Jones, Sean Livingston, and Curry have all had injury problems during the playoffs.

GS stole one on the road tonight. I wonder if Durant will play in Game 3 and if GS will win the next 2 in Oakland.

seemed like a typical Golden State playoff game. they stayed close in the first half and came out in the second and hit the Raptors with a hammer, an 18-0 run hammer. for the life of me I don't understand why all the Warrior's opponents can't see that coming, it's almost a GSW trademark. I think the game looked a little closer than it actually was.

Game One surprised me and Game Two surprised me. if the Raptors can't beat a banged-up-second-squad Warriors Team in Toronto with Kahwi Leonard scoring 34 points they are in trouble in Cali with Durant and others coming back. my hunch is that Steve Kerr knows his Team and is very savvy about what he's doing. the longer he can come up with a game plan to win without the injured players the worse it looks for Toronto.

he's tried it two ways --- shut down Leonard and let him score. letting him score seems to have worked better. in game one the Raptors "Team" beat the Warriors. in game two a "player" lost. the Warriors will probably allow Leonard the be a little freer and clamp down on everyone else from here till the end, waiting patiently for the injured to be healthy enough to really be effective. at home, I can't imagine the crowd reaction when Durant comes out and scores, it should be deafening and really have an effect on Toronto.

edited June 3, 2019 5:35AM

what i found interesting about last night's game was the money flow. a day or so before the game, the line was TOR -1. i checked right before tipoff and it had moved to TOR -2.5. i guess people were banking on all of the GS injuries, but they failed to remember what team was dealing with said injuries. then on top of that add Curry, Looney & Thompson to the list midgame.........and yet they STILL won.

doesn't bode well for the Raptors, and i still don't envision them winning more than 2 games in this series

GS center Kevin Looney likely done for the series after fracturing his rib cage in game 2.

Klay Thompson may be out, also. the way things are going the Warriors might be lucky if they have enough healthy bodies to start the game with five on the court.

edited June 5, 2019 10:13PM

that game was not even worth watching. if Toronto can't beat Golden State when Durant, Thompson and Looney are out, then they have no business being in the NBA Finals. they did what they were supposed to, given the circumstances. such a weird series. if it's full strength against full strength, it's over in 5 max. as is, it's not Toronto vs. Golden State.........it's Toronto vs. MRIs. obviously GS has to win G4, so i expect Thompson and Durant to re-emerge on Friday.

i hate to keep injecting gambling into this series, but that was the easiest money i have ever made in my life. there are no sure things when it comes to wagering, but that was about as close as anyone will ever get. i got Toronto +6 less than 48 hours ago, and realistically they should've been favored by 6. i won't divulge how much, but let's just say that if this keeps up, there may be another golf contest in the near future. :D and i have the warriors for the series, so the push to the title needs to start on fri night. otherwise some crazy maneuvering may go down again. lol

it is disappointing that a Championship comes down to this. not to take anything away from the Raptors but I assume they would also prefer to play the full, healthy Warriors. I will say this, if Toronto is unable to pull this off it will be a monumental choke job.

Did not watch the game last night. Too many other things going on that demanded my attention. Did not expect GS to win given all of the injured players they have.

Game 4 is a must win for GS thus I expect Durant and Thompson to play. How they perform is unknown given their injuries.

Thompson is playing in Game 4 tomorrow night.

Durant is not playing in Game 4.

I wonder if Durant's calf injury is so bad that he will not be able to play at all in the Finals? He has been out of action for about 1 month.

I missed last night's game but this has been gaining airtime today after a Warriors investor pushes Kyle Lowry after he dove into the stands going after a loose ball. The guy was suspended from attending Warriors games for one year and hit with a 500K fine.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ghHO9062wo

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭✭✭

If they only had a net up, this would of never happened. :D;)>:)

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • JRR300JRR300 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭✭

Would the Dubs be crazy enough to keep Durant out until they get to an elimination game. Give him as much rest as possible and hope that with him back, they have enough to still take the series?

I saw the clip of the "shove" and it didn't look that bad.

Sports talk and social media have been ablaze over two things that happened during Game 3:

1. The response of Beyonce's "Hive" (the social media followers of the "Queen B") to the wife of Warriors' lead owner Joe Lacob to her leaning toward Jay-Z during the game to speak with him [Beyonce was seated between Jay-Z and Lacob's wife and the noise was so loud in the arena that Jay-Z and Lacob's wife could not hear each other unless they leaned toward each other]. The Hive's response has been to excoriate Lacob's wife and issue threats against her due to her "disrespect" of Queen B (in leaning across her and daring to speak to Jay-Z); and

2. The response to the fact that one of the owners of the Warriors made physical contact with Kyle Lowry when Lowry jumped into the stands trying to save a loose ball (the owner put his hand on Lowry's shoulder area when Lowry stood up, shoved Lowry away and apparently made verbal comments to Lowry). The NBA quickly fined the owner $500,000.00 and banned him from attending NBA games for the next year. The Warriors issued a statement condemning the owner for his conduct. Sports and social media have been questioning whether the response to this incident is "strong enough", with some advocating that the owner should be "Donald Sterlinged" and have his ownership stake in the Warriors forcibly taken from him. Other comments characterize this situation as an example of the vilest "racism" by whites against non whites; and an example of "white privilege" and "1% privilege".

IMO both of the above things that happened during Game 3 are being blown way out of proportion; and are being seized upon as things which warrant 24-7 coverage by the 24-7-365 round the clock news and media coverage that society is deluged with today.

Your thoughts on both please.

1. Beyonce has some of the most psychotic fans I think i've ever seen and they attack/cyber bully anyone that they think is disrespecting her. This situation is bad but nowhere near as bad as some of the other attacks I've read about.
    2. Mark Bryant had absolutely no reason at all to put his hands on Lowry IMO. It's one thing if it was the person underneath Lowry pushing him away but it wasn't and of all the fans in those seats this guy should have known better.

@SanctionII said:
    Sports talk and social media have been ablaze over two things that happened during Game 3:

1. The response of Beyonce's "Hive" (the social media followers of the "Queen B") to the wife of Warriors' lead owner Joe Lacob to her leaning toward Jay-Z during the game to speak with him [Beyonce was seated between Jay-Z and Lacob's wife and the noise was so loud in the arena that Jay-Z and Lacob's wife could not hear each other unless they leaned toward each other]. The Hive's response has been to excoriate Lacob's wife and issue threats against her due to her "disrespect" of Queen B (in leaning across her and daring to speak to Jay-Z); and

2. The response to the fact that one of the owners of the Warriors made physical contact with Kyle Lowry when Lowry jumped into the stands trying to save a loose ball (the owner put his hand on Lowry's shoulder area when Lowry stood up, shoved Lowry away and apparently made verbal comments to Lowry). The NBA quickly fined the owner $500,000.00 and banned him from attending NBA games for the next year. The Warriors issued a statement condemning the owner for his conduct. Sports and social media have been questioning whether the response to this incident is "strong enough", with some advocating that the owner should be "Donald Sterlinged" and have his ownership stake in the Warriors forcibly taken from him. Other comments characterize this situation as an example of the vilest "racism" by whites against non whites; and an example of "white privilege" and "1% privilege".

IMO both of the above things that happened during Game 3 are being blown way out of proportion; and are being seized upon as things which warrant 24-7 coverage by the 24-7-365 round the clock news and media coverage that society is deluged with today.

Your thoughts on both please.

Completely agree. Way over board. 500K get real!!

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:
    I saw the clip of the "shove" and it didn't look that bad.

Need netting around the stands.

Same ball player that gets knocked around for over 90 games this season gets weak kneed when the owner gives him a shove.

Too bad he never met Woody Hayes.

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 7, 2019 4:37PM

Beyonce is an illuminati witch.

Edit to add: I'm sticking with my prior predicton: raptors in 6

• BrickBrick Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭✭✭

The old overweight owner not only could have harmed Lowry but even worse he said something that hurt his feelings.
    Stones and sticks may make you sore
    but nasty words will hurt you more.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the intensity he brought, but I prefer to see that from a regular fan.
    And obviously hitting the player is over the line.

Boy...the ref's are doing their best to keep the Raptors in this game. It's been a while since I have seen so many bad calls.

to Toronto fans, they aren't the Raptors anymore..........they're the Raptures

unreal performance. they flat-out looked like the better team. their defense was STIFLING. forget best two-way player in the league -- Kawhi may be the very best in all the association. Ibaka had one HELL of a game, too.

does everyone here realize that they were a 3rd quarter away from beating Milwaukee & Golden State a combined 8 consecutive times? after needing one of the most miraculous shots in recent memory to skate by Philly? magical freaking run.

screw this, GO RAPTURES!

edited June 7, 2019 9:05PM

@galaxy27 said:

unreal performance. they flat-out looked like the better team. their defense was STIFLING. forget best two-way player in the league -- Kawhi may be the very best in all the association. Ibaka had one HELL of a game, too.

does everyone here realize that they were a 3rd quarter away from beating Milwaukee & Golden State a combined 8 consecutive times? after needing one of the most miraculous shots in recent memory to skate by Philly? magical freaking run.

screw this, GO RAPTURES!

I'm a believer now too, it took awhile but they reeled me in. KD may show up out of nowhere for game 5 and this may still be a series but Toronto has a chance to close this series out at home on Monday and that stadium will be rocking like never seen before.

@erikthredd said:

@galaxy27 said:

screw this, GO RAPTURES!

I'm a believer now too, it took awhile but they reeled me in. KD may show up out of nowhere for game 5 and this may still be a series but Toronto has a chance to close this series out at home on Monday and that stadium will be rocking like never seen before.

Come on.....I'm not a Warriors fan, but they are riddled with injuries. If both clubs are healthy .... Warriors are the better team. Raptors are very very good, but the Warriors are better.

edited June 7, 2019 9:23PM

@DIMEMAN said:

@erikthredd said:

@galaxy27 said:

screw this, GO RAPTURES!

Come on.....I'm not a Warriors fan, but they are riddled with injuries. If both clubs are healthy .... Warriors are the better team. Raptors are very very good, but the Warriors are better.

Come on? Jon you do know that the Warriors won 5 straight playoff games without KD to get into the Finals then had a ten day layoff before the Finals started,right?
    The injuries suck and had KD been healthy I'd probably agree with you but let's not pretend like this is just Curry and a bunch of stiffs out there. They had five current/former All Stars in their starting lineup tonight as well as the same lineup in game two when they beat the Raptors in Toronto on a night where Klay never even played in that 4th quarter.
    Toronto is playing like a champion and should be getting more credit than "it's only because of GS injuries."

@erikthredd said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@erikthredd said:

@galaxy27 said:

screw this, GO RAPTURES!

Come on? Jon you do know that the Warriors won 5 straight playoff games without KD to get into the Finals then had a ten day layoff before the Finals started,right?
    The injuries suck and had KD been healthy I'd probably agree with you but let's not pretend like this is just Curry and a bunch of stiffs out there. They had five current/former All Stars in their starting lineup tonight as well as the same lineup in game two when they beat the Raptors in Toronto on a night where Klay never even played in that 4th quarter.
    Toronto is playing like a champion and should be getting more credit than "it's only because of GS injuries."

They don't need KD......just everyone else healthy. They were the best team in the NBA before KD got there.

@DIMEMAN said:

@erikthredd said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@erikthredd said:

@galaxy27 said:

screw this, GO RAPTURES!

They don't need KD......just everyone else healthy. They were the best team in the NBA before KD got there.

No technically they weren't. They had just lost to the Cavs in seven games less than a month before they signed Durant.

@erikthredd said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@erikthredd said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@erikthredd said:

@galaxy27 said:

screw this, GO RAPTURES!

No technically they weren't. They had just lost to the Cavs in seven games less than a month before they signed Durant.

True, but the 2 out 3 Championships were w/o KD is my point.

@DIMEMAN said:

@erikthredd said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@erikthredd said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@erikthredd said:

@galaxy27 said:

screw this, GO RAPTURES!

Not true. GS has won three total championships this decade (2015,2017,2018.) Kevin Durant won the Finals MVP in two of those three championships. The Warriors were 1-1 before they signed him.

@erikthredd said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@erikthredd said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@erikthredd said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@erikthredd said:

@galaxy27 said:

screw this, GO RAPTURES!

Not true. GS has won three total championships this decade (2015,2017,2018.) Kevin Durant won the Finals MVP in two of those three championships. The Warriors were 1-1 before they signed him.

If that's true, and I'm sure it is, I apologize. I knew they won without him, but was wrong about the numbers. My bad.

And I will give credit to the Raptors for being a very good team. Too bad both teams couldn't have been at full strength.

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:
    They could save us all some time and agony and just crown GS. It's over before it starts.

Yep. Could have had the parade by now.

@Coinstartled said:

@DIMEMAN said:
    They could save us all some time and agony and just crown GS. It's over before it starts.

Yep. Could have had the parade by now.

Who knew CS would be riddled with injuries.

KD is starting tonight and expected to play in "short bursts."

GS is playing like a two time defending champion should and Cousins looks like he's in All Star form tonight. Green better keep his head in the game though.

Great game indeed. Can GS win 2 more without KD??

I don't know but if they play with that type of intensity going forward the remainder of this series should be very entertaining.

@erikthredd said:
    I don't know but if they play with that type of intensity going forward the remainder of this series should be very entertaining.

Should be fun!

ESPN is reporting that Durant tore his achilles last night and its looking like his 2019-20 season is in jeopardy now. I know many fans give him grief over jumping to the Warriors when he couldn't beat them but last night he risked his immediate future so he can help them come back from this 3-1 deficit before getting hurt.
    ESPN listed this graphic with this report:

He's likely looking at a second half of the season return for whichever team he lands with this offseason.

@erikthredd said:
    ESPN is reporting that Durant tore his achilles last night and its looking like his 2019-20 season is in jeopardy now. I know many fans give him grief over jumping to the Warriors when he couldn't beat them but last night he risked his immediate future so he can help them come back from this 3-1 deficit before getting hurt.
    ESPN listed this graphic with this report:

He's likely looking at a second half of the season return for whichever team he lands with this offseason.

Wow...that is a bummer! I think GS should step up and offer what ever it takes to resign him for this.