Home Sports Talk

NBA playoffs start this coming weekend.

Comments

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Kevin, as long as Golden State shoots .500 from the field and .500 from the arc without Kevin Durant it won't really matter how well Portland plays. I think that the Warrior's hardest series in the West is behind them.

• SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

Keets.

I think you are correct as to the Western Conference.

If GS makes the Finals against the Raptors or the Bucks I think GS may be tested. GS would have the advantage of playing for the title 5 years in a row against a team that has never been there before (Raptors) or has not been there for a very long time (Bucks).

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 16, 2019 9:21AM

Gained some real insight into Kyrie Irving from watching this clip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=148&v=hVWiJgh5nzI

planet Kyrie look closely and note that the elephants go on the turtle's back and not vice versa

yes, he has described himself as a flat-earther and I don't know what to say about that, it dumbfound's me. I read somewhere that Paul Kruger(think Krugerrand) was a flat-earther and read only one book his entire life: the Bible.

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:
    yes, he has described himself as a flat-earther and I don't know what to say about that, it dumbfound's me. I read somewhere that Paul Kruger(think Krugerrand) was a flat-earther and read only one book his entire life: the Bible.

I believe there should be at least 10 elephants on the turtle. In that pic there are 2 visible about 90 degrees apart . As if to imply only 4 are involved , which is just crazy :D .

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Flat Earth....you have got to be kidding me! Have them pick the extreme edges opposite of each other.......then have them explain why they are really next to each other. Give me a freaking break!!!! LOL

Looks like GS may sweep Portland on Monday. If they do and if the Bucks sweep Toronto both teams will have plenty of rest before the finals start.

Hopefully Durant is and Cousins will be able to play in th he finals.

to know why Golden State is on the verge of really an epic run you only have to look at what they did in the third quarter, the same thing they did in the Western Finals last year. they were down by 13 at the half and dropped a 29-13 millstone around Portland in the third quarter that knocked them down and soon to be out. it is strange, but as a Cleveland fan and no dog in the fight it is easier for me to view the Warriors more objectively without bias.

I believe that the status quo, led by Dimeman and the no doubt legions of Boston Celtic fans will want to push back hard on all this in the coming years. what do I believe?? I believe I may be wrong, but if this Team swallows a little personal pride they should pass the Bulls and challenge the Celtics. the former to my way of thinking is almost a foregone conclusion, the latter an almost insurmountable Everest that I doubt any Team will climb. BUT, this might be as close as we get.

the Chicago Bulls were a pretty good Team led by one of the greatest players ever and coached by a brilliant leader. the Boston Celtics were a TEAM of superlative players and Coaches, easily defining what it means when to play together for a common goal. the Golden State Warriors seem like a combination of both: the players more resemble the Celtics and the Coach more resembles the Bulls.

during the next 2-5 years I think we may see a re-writing of NBA folklore.

It will be interesting to see what the GS ownership will do this summer to keep the current team together; and whether the 5 or 6 top players are receptive to staying together.

they have shown in the past that they are. Kevin Durant makes a little noise but I don't think he wants to leave because I don't think he is a transformational player. when he left OKC it was to join a Champion, not to make a Champion. if he left after this season where would he go to "make" a Champion?? it seems that an NBA Team is built around a core of three players so Durant would need to pick a Team where there are already two established front line players to make a serious run, and it would probably be in the East.

I think all the other guys want to stay and will stay.

edited May 20, 2019 8:53PM

WTH.........I haven't watched any NBA playoffs yet this year. So I thought I would tune in for the sweep of the Blazers. It comes on and I see 4 IDOTS in arm chairs taking up half the screen talking to each other about who knows what. Who are these IDIOTS!!! I'm sorry Byron Scott, but when you stooped to this level you became an IDOIT!!!! If this is the way ESPN is going to cover games.......I am gone!! Even NFL games.

WHERE IS BRONC!!

Edited to add....I turned it off after I realized it wasn't a temporary JOKE!

• erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hats off to GS for sweeping Portland without KD. It looks like they'll likely get about a week of resting up before the Finals start,maybe even longer if the ECF goes 7.

Gs winning game 4 in Portland was very unexpected, ............... or upon reflection maybe not.

GS is playing at a very high level right now.

Hopefully with 10 days off before game 1 of the Finals all of the injured GS players will recover and be ready to go. Including Cousins and Durant.

It would be great to see the current high level of play continue in the Finals with a fully healthy roster.

I think they were missing Andre Iguadola last night, someone else was out. it won't be easy for the Bucks who I believe will be the opponent. the downside: GSW has proven they can win easily against the best without Durant. hopefully the Team management doesn't view that as a sign that he is expendable.

to the East, am I the only one who thinks that the Raptors have a choice to make: are they satisfied with making the conference Finals every year or do they want more?? if the answer from management is the latter then they need to tear the Team down and start over, similar to what the Cavs faced in the NBA Finals.

I know everyone is tired of me saying this and that no one believes me, but if you like the NBA then get ready to watch the making of History over the next few years. as it now stands there doesn't appear to be anyone who is situated to seriously challenge the Warriors, they are the basketball version the the NFL Patriots. they are built to the hilt, manage to stay ahead of everyone else and can withstand all comers.

Who is going to win the East crown?

And what is your prediction for the Finals?

I still think it's going to be a Bucks-Warriors Finals but if Giannis is going to put up another 12 points in a double overtime game like in game 3 a few days ago then GS probably ends that series quickly.

the Greek Freak can dominate a game but he is also defendable and like last game, can be forced to the bench with fouls. I think the key to that is to put pressure on him at the rim, force him to over-defend and get a few calls against him. the Bucks can still play good BBall without him, but when he's in and playing well they can roll with anyone --- except the Warriors.

Bucks take Toronto in six and the Warriors take the Bucks in five.

Toronto won easily yesterday. ECF now tied 2-2. Series will go 6 and maybe 7 games.

that was a surprisingly easy win. the Bucks turned into a two-player Team and got beat by the Raptors bench.

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

the Dubs disposed of the Blazers like yesterday's garbage, so i'm in need of some fresh action

i'm contemplating the O/U on the number of chicks Drake is going to screw on Saturday night if the Raps close out the Bucks

the Raptors have apparently solved the Bucks so this will probably be a 7-gamer where the home Team wins every game.

@keets said:
    the Raptors have apparently solved the Bucks so this will probably be a 7-gamer where the home Team wins every game.

That's already gone isn't it. The Bucks lost last night at home.

hey, you're right. I'm confused about the format, good catch.

@galaxy27 said:
    the Dubs disposed of the Blazers like yesterday's garbage, so i'm in need of some fresh action

i'm contemplating the O/U on the number of chicks Drake is going to screw on Saturday night if the Raps close out the Bucks

What are the odds if Drake screws a mascot instead? Its definitely looking like an Under on this one here. B)

• PatsGuy5000PatsGuy5000 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

Is Kawhi Leonard the best player on the planet now? Looking awesome on both ends of the floor with an above average supporting cast. My top 3 best in the NBA now, KD, Giannis, & Kawhi.

@erikthredd said:

What are the odds if Drake screws a mascot instead? Its definitely looking like an Under on this one here. B)

or, he could really kink things up a few notches & include Nick Nurse

photo giphy_zps1lq18vai.gif

@galaxy27 said:

@erikthredd said:

or, he could really kink things up a few notches & include Nick Nurse.............

photo giphy_zps1lq18vai.gif

..........and Steph Curry if he just waits a few more days.

Hats off to the Raptors in making their very first Finals appearance in team history. This series should be a good one.

edited May 25, 2019 10:55PM

i just got one of those emergency-type texts on my phone. Drake is currently in the 2nd hour of a legendary 8-some with 4 hotties, the Raptor mascot, Nick Nurse, and Giannis's girlfriend.

btw @fergie23 picked the Raps before the series started, so i've gotta give a shout-out

an epic meltdown by the Bucks

genuinely happy for Toronto & Kawhi

if I didn't know better I'd say that the Bucks took a dive. they had the game well in-hand, up by 15 points, and then Toronto went on a run that was something like 25-2. that was pretty hard to watch so I went to bed!! :D

I have a curious question. much is being made of the Coaching change and the fact that Toronto acquired Kahwi Leonard, so my question is this --- Were the Raptors able to advance because Lebron James left Cleveland?? my short answer is yes, he had dominated them and probably would have again had he stayed.

@galaxy27 said:

genuinely happy for Toronto & Kawhi

What a difference a year makes when this time a year ago he was getting creamed by the media & fans,including me, for not suiting up for the Spurs playoff run,since then he hasn't said a word and just balled out. It's gonna be interesting to see if he decides to leave Toronto or not once free agency starts.

@keets one way to look at it is Lebron wasn't in their path this time around but another is the East had some legit contenders this past season who were all led by MVP caliber players. The Bucks,with the likely MVP Giannis,went from a 7 seed a year ago to the best record this year. That team was night & day compared to a year ago. Philly adding Butler & Harris to Embiid & Simmons were a much tougher team this season and were one tiny bounce on the back of the rim away from playing in the ECF.
    In these previous few years,Toronto's biggest hurdle has been trying to get by Lebron and at some point you gotta think that got into the player's heads. Just looking at Demar DeRozan's on the court play & demeanor during that 4 game sweep by the Cavs a year ago you can see that might have been true but this is an entirely different Raptors team with Kawhi than it was with Demar. Kawhi has not only beat Lebron in the NBA Finals but he walked away with the Finals MVP trophy as well so I doubt there would ever have been a "here we go again" moment like we saw from Toronto in that Cavs sweep. Not to mention Pascal Siakam took a huge step forward this past season with his play and is probably going to win the Most Improved Player award in the next week or two.
    All of these teams were much tougher mentally & physically than in previous years and I doubt Lebron's Cavs would have been much of a roadblock this time around had he stayed.

I need to say that with Lebron James still in a Cavs uniform that one of those eight Teams would not have been in the playoffs, and it isn't a foregone conclusion that it would have been the eight seed. the Eastern Conference play would have been different. the alignment from 1-8 would have changed, so it's hard to say what might have happened. when I was younger we used to say "If one thing was different nothing would be the same." two things are undeniable: the Cavs were a worse Team without Lebron and the Raptors are a better Team with Kahwi.

BTW, point taken about the Spurs Championship vs. the Heat, but phrasing it as Leonard beat James is a stretch.

All I meant with the "Kawhi was Finals MVP" remark is that he's outplayed Lebron on the biggest stage already compared to a DeRozan who with each new Raptors-Cavs series in recent years had to deal with questions about losing to him in the previous playoffs. IIRC the Cavs knocked the Raptors out three years in a row and that had to take a toll mentally.
    To your first comment,other than head to head games vs the Cavs during the season,Lebron staying in Cleveland would not have prevented Milwaukee,Toronto or Philly from playing like they did all year compared to 2017-18. It's not a stretch to think any of those three teams could have knocked a Lebron led Cavs team out the playoffs. My main point was just that all three were clearly better than the year before,that's all.

How many NBA squads have any player that places his hand over his heart during the national anthem?

Probably much fewer now than in prior decades.

@keets said:
    I have a curious question. much is being made of the Coaching change and the fact that Toronto acquired Kahwi Leonard, so my question is this --- Were the Raptors able to advance because Lebron James left Cleveland?? my short answer is yes, he had dominated them and probably would have again had he stayed.

LOL....Lebron is yesterdays news. He would not affected the outcome in the East at all.

All I meant with the "Kawhi was Finals MVP" remark is that he's outplayed Lebron on the biggest stage.

that Spurs Team was loaded with a Capital "C" and beat the Heat which was also a good Team. we both know, at least we should know, that a player who is on the 4-1 losing end of a Championship series isn't going to win the MVP. that goes to a player on the winning Team. check the game stats, Leonard shot a little better than James but Lebron averaged out more minutes and his stats(aside from shooting % and blocked shots) are all better than Kahwi. what that tells me is simple, San Antonia had a better Team but Lebron was the better player who was forced to do more.

he clearly didn't outplay Lebron on that stage, but San Antonia outplayed Miami.

Lebron may have scored more points but anyone watching that series saw that the Heat had no answer for Kawhi Leonard especially over games 3-5 when the series was won. He also played a huge part in shutting down Wade on defense. The final box score for that series only painted half of the picture here. Kawhi took his play from a solid starter level to playing like an NBA superstar. We can agree to disagree on who outplayed who in that series.
    That Heat team was every bit as loaded as the Spurs were in 2014. Miami was playing in their 4th straight Finals and were the two time defending NBA champion so let's not act like they were only a good team and not great.
    Lebron: in the GOAT argument
    Wade: Top 50 player, former Finals MVP & future HOFer
    Bosh: future HOFer
    Ray Allen: top 50 player,top 3 three point shooter ever & HOFer
    Rashard Lewis: two time All-Star
    Battier,Haslem & Anderson: as good as it gets for role players.

I don't know why you're taking my Kawhi/DeRozan comparison versus Lebron down this path. I'm am in no way attempting to bash Lebron,all I was trying to say is Kawhi Leonard has had success vs Lebron on the biggest stage compared to DeRozan getting benched in that 2018 Cavs sweep which ultimately led to his getting traded to the Spurs. This current Raptors team is much better than the one that Lebron faced in recent years and its not a given that Lebron's Cavs would have beaten this team. You brought Lebron into the discussion and I just commented on it.

and all I'm pointing out is an alternative explanation to why Toronto advanced, no Lebron to stop them.

• fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭✭

I was definitely sweating the Raptors prediction after the first 2 games.

Robb

@fergie23 said:
    I was definitely sweating the Raptors prediction after the first 2 games.

Robb

if you didn't double down when it was 0-2, you're a weenie

• fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭✭

Go big or go home.

I have the Warriors beating the Raptors. Not nearly as confident of this prediction because I am not sure the Warriors will stay healthy.

Robb

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the Raptors in this series.

i can't envision the raps winning more than 2 games in this series. if the dubs do fall behind, a call to the bullpen is going to be made and the durantula will emerge

@galaxy27 have you seen this latest ESPN article about the Rockets GM possibly making the entire team available in trade? Any thoughts? I think Capela would be a great fit with the Celtics Tatum/Brown timeline but I'd be curious to see what type of return Houston would want for him. Would they want a Brown/Tatum type of player back or would a bunch of picks and a few young prospect type players be enough.
    http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26847098/rockets-making-cp3-others-available

@erikthredd said:
    @galaxy27 have you seen this latest ESPN article about the Rockets GM possibly making the entire team available in trade? Any thoughts? I think Capela would be a great fit with the Celtics Tatum/Brown timeline but I'd be curious to see what type of return Houston would want for him. Would they want a Brown/Tatum type of player back or would a bunch of picks and a few young prospect type players be enough.

reeks of desperation but it's necessary and i like it. they had a shot two years ago, but Paul went down. had another shot this year when Durant went down. two squandered opportunities to get past GS. change is imminent.

Does anyone think that James Harden is a player that would be able to LEAD a team through the playoffs and win an NBA title?

Harden is an amazing offensive player, of that there is no doubt. However, his style of play (isolation basketball where he dribbles the ball for most of the 24 second possession before either shooting a step back jump shot, driving to the hoop and drawing contact, or kicking the ball out to a teammate on the perimeter for a jump shot) leads to the players other than Harden standing around waiting for him to initiate and create.

If Harden happens to have an off night shooting (this is common), if he is aggressively defended by one or more defenders for most of the game and/or if he simply tires out and is exhausted in crunch time you end up with the results that Houston has had in the playoffs recently. Elimination of the Rockets before they ever reach the NBA Finals and Harden's playoff performances being less than stellar (compared to his regular season performance level).

@galaxy27 said:

@erikthredd said:

reeks of desperation but it's necessary and i like it. they had a shot two years ago, but Paul went down. had another shot this year when Durant went down. two squandered opportunities to get past GS. change is imminent.

Is this gonna be a start over rebuild or is it more about moving certain players? Along with Capela,Tucker is another player that i think would fit in well with Boston.

edited May 29, 2019 5:18PM

@SanctionII said:
    Does anyone think that James Harden is a player that would be able to LEAD a team through the playoffs and win an NBA title?

I think we may never know the answer to that because the GS Warriors where in their way every year. Haven't they knocked the Rockets out of the playoffs in 4 out of the past 5 seasons? Houston has had some really good teams during that time its just GS was better even more so since KD arrived. Its not like Harden's Rockets are getting bounced by multiple different teams in a short period of time,it's mostly been just one team on a dynasty run.
    I don't think in this case its really his fault for not being able to beat an All Star team.