Home Sports Talk
Options

Quick Reminder about Odell Beckham

1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭✭✭

This guy is a very talented piece of garbage who can’t keep his word - plain and simple.

Does a nice one handed catch that’s plastered on ESPN and posters as a rookie mean you are great ? (Which while pretty, most people forget was ruled out of bounds and incomplete. Perfect that his greatest play of his career is technically an incomplete pass. SO perfect!).

Please see the difference in character between the ‘quiet and fly straight’ Odell who wanted a contract and the piece of garbage he became the day after he got paid. From the day Dave Gettleman took the job to the day before he got paid, Odell was a model citizen. Within weeks, he questions the QB (whether rightly or wrongly, it is 100% low class and awful by any standards of a team) and then a few weeks later can’t decide if he’s ‘happy’, in an interview with Lil’ Wayne, with his situation in NY. Lest we all forget, this guy went out and had the WORST GAME OF HIS CAREER in his lone playoff appearance despite ANYONE who bothered to watch the game seeing that Eli could not have been more crisp or on point that day, betrayed mostly by drops by Odell, chiefly, and several other receivers. Also, he sat out the last 4-5 games of this past season with a bruised ego and no injury. I’m tired of hearing about the numbers. Despite crushing the ‘numbers’ of receivers that came before him, he plays in the most pass happy era ever.

He’s a midget, he weighs nothing and I’m pretty sure he’s never played a full season in his career.

Good riddance!

Lastly, those of ‘in the know’ in NYC know of Odell’s little secret even if the nation does not. Ever wonder what made him go after Josh Norman like that? I mean, what did he say? It’s related to the fact there were no girls on that pre playoff game boat trip in Miami and that one of the games most popular players has no virtually no girlfriends in his past or present? Certainly not something I have a problem with (at all) though I do wonder how it plays in an NFL locker room. My guess? Not well.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

Comments

• Options

Apologies for the rant - I am just tired of hearing what a ‘special talent’ he is. When two years from now, he has ripped the Cleveland franchise in two with his mouth while at the same time holding out for more money, count me as one who will not be surprised.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are you paying his salary? :D

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

He's had his share of injury problems to be sure and he is a bit of a head case but there is no denying the fact that when healthy he is one of the best wideouts in the league, no question about it. Replacing him with Golden Tate is going to make Manning look even more pitiful than he already does.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

@grote15 said:
    He's had his share of injury problems to be sure and he is a bit of a head case but there is no denying the fact that when healthy he is one of the best wideouts in the league, no question about it. Replacing him with Golden Tate is going to make Manning look even more pitiful than he already does.

Funny you should say that. The Giants offense looked its best and most balanced without him last year. Also reflected in points scored.

But let’s not let the facts get in the way...

• Options
    edited March 23, 2019 4:47PM

@bronco2078 said:

Did I mention salary once? He wasn’t moved for being overpaid (he’s probably not, actually), he was removed for being a low character cancer.

Terrell Owens was also super talented. He won no championships, though, and just about EVERY team he was ever on fared better once he left or at worst were about the same.

Don’t drink the Kool-Aid! Trash is trash. Talented trash is still trash.

As for Eli? Maybe he is done. Maybe not. I know most of his detractors have felt that way since he was drafted - that he sucks and got lucky. He was drafted #1 overall, by the way. And won two rings. And two SuperBowl MVPs. And engineered two of the greatest road playoff runs in NFL Playoff history. Twice.

Again, stupid facts...

• Options
    edited March 23, 2019 4:53PM

One more thing - spare me the ‘good teammate’ nonsense. His teammates that call him a ‘good teammate’ are the ones who are actually the good teammates. He called out his QB publicly - no decent teammate would ever do that. Period. Stop.

• Options
    edited March 23, 2019 5:44PM

@1951WheatiesPremium said:

@grote15 said:

Funny you should say that. The Giants offense looked its best and most balanced without him last year. Also reflected in points scored.

LOL. You sound like you're rationalizing or trying to convince yourself that he's not as good as he actually is. Sorta like the fox and the grapes.

The guy has AVERAGED over 90 yards receiving per game and has scored 44 TDs in 59 games in his career. (He has played 2 full seasons in his 5-year career.) But yeah, the Giants don't need talent like that, LOL..

Whether he's worth the money he's getting is another story, but to say he's not one of the best WRs in the NFL when he's healthy is simply a ludicrous assertion by a spurned or disgruntled Giants fan.

And yeah, Eli is toast. Has been for 2 seasons now. And yes, Eli had two magical postseason runs and brought home two Super Bowl championships and he is rightfully lauded for that. But at what point does the reality that he is no longer an asset to the team but instead become a liability take place? It's not like Eli has taken any pay cuts so the Giants could sign other talent. Eli has been paid very handsomely for his achievements and has taken every cent he's earned. But at what point do the Giants say enough is enough already and move on?

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bronco2078 said:

Did I mention salary once? He wasn’t moved for being overpaid (he’s probably not, actually), he was removed for being a low character cancer.

Terrell Owens was also super talented. He won no championships, though, and just about EVERY team he was ever on fared better once he left or at worst were about the same.

As for Eli? Maybe he is done. Maybe not. I know most of his detractors have felt that way since he was drafted - that he sucks and got lucky. He was drafted #1 overall, by the way. And won two rings. And two SuperBowl MVPs. And engineered two of the greatest road playoff runs in NFL Playoff history. Twice.

Again, stupid facts...

if you aren't writing his paycheck it has no negative effect on you and insinuating he might be gay is not particularly classy and not relevant to his football career.

• Options

@grote15 said:

@grote15 said:

LOL. You sound like you're rationalizing or trying to convince yourself that he's not as good as he actually is. Sorta like the fox and the grapes.

The guy has AVERAGED over 90 yards receiving per game and has scored 44 TDs in 59 games in his career. (He has played 2 full seasons in his 5-year career.) But yeah, the Giants don't need talent like that, LOL..

Whether he's worth the money he's getting is another story, but to say he's not one of the best WRs in the NFL when he's healthy is simply a ludicrous assertion by a spurned or disgruntled Giants fan.

And yeah, Eli is toast. Has been for 2 seasons now. And yes, Eli had two magical postseason runs and brought home two Super Bowl championships and he is rightfully lauded for that. But at what point does the reality that he is no longer an asset to the team but instead become a liability take place? It's not like Eli has taken any pay cuts so the Giants could sign other talent. Eli has been paid very handsomely for his achievements and has taken every cent he's earned. But at what point do the Giants say enough is enough already and move on?

If we go by 16 games, it’s one season.

I believe I stated that he is one of the most talented in the game. I do not question his talent.

Doesn’t mean we’re not better off without him, though.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,489 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tim, I love your passion. I read your opening post and it’s par for the course with a lot of these Divas, bottom line the Browns took him on and will sink or swim with him in town, the guy has talent but definitely is a handful at times. I’m sure the Giants won’t miss his baggage but if and when the time comes and they go with a rookie QB to replace Manning a big play WR is good to have.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

There aren’t enough legitimate play makers to go around. OBJ and Antonio Brown are two of them.

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 23, 2019 7:25PM

I haven't been too impressed with him up to now. Consistency and staying healthy plays a big roll in being great. He has done neither thus far. Maybe things will be different in Cleveland, who knows. I do know one thing. He's more concerned with making highlight reel catches and looking good than winning. A one word description of him... selfish

• Options

Bottom line I’d take Julian Edelman over Beckham or Brown.

• Options
    edited March 23, 2019 8:43PM

I don't dispute the fact that he is self-aborbed and a head case. But his stats when he's out on the field are undeniable and the Browns are unquestionably a better team with him on it. The Giants? Looking like another 4-12 season at best. In that sense, I can also understand why they traded Beckham as they are going nowhere with or without him, but one thing is crystal clear now that this has unfolded the way it has: signing him to that contract last summer was asinine and ill-conceived.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    Bottom line I’d take Julian Edelman over Beckham or Brown.

Totally agree with you on this!

• Options

@perkdog said:
    Tim, I love your passion. I read your opening post and it’s par for the course with a lot of these Divas, bottom line the Browns took him on and will sink or swim with him in town, the guy has talent but definitely is a handful at times. I’m sure the Giants won’t miss his baggage but if and when the time comes and they go with a rookie QB to replace Manning a big play WR is good to have.

I think this is Eli’s last year. So the new QB will have Shepherd, Tate, Engram and Barkley.

Cupboard is not exactly bare.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

if you were a Cleveland Browns fan like me, died in the wool and dead in the 90's for several years, revived only to suffer the ridicule of almost two decades at places like this you might at least be willing to give him a chance to fail. I'm not sure he will but I will wait. the Browns are on the cusp of being a .500 Team, can you understand the excitement that goes with that??!!?? it is hard to explain. OBJ may be a part of that and things of that nature can sometimes transform people and allow them to start anew.

I hope.

as for his talent, it is obvious. perhaps the OP has a rightful disdain for OBJ, players and management can do that to us. I will only say this --- on his biggest stage to date, at Home with a trip to the Super Bowl riding on the outcome, one of the best players in the NFL had a single catch in January. I doubt many KC fans are ready to write off Hill.

stuff happens, I think OBJ will be OK.

I hope.

• Options

@bronco2078 said:

@bronco2078 said:

Again, stupid facts...

if you aren't writing his paycheck it has no negative effect on you and insinuating he might be gay is not particularly classy and not relevant to his football career.

Except when he gets in fistfights on the field over it and gets ejected from games because of it.

Then it is relevant to his football career.

As for whether or not it’s classy of me to talk about it?

I’ll leave that up to you. I have no problem with his sexual preference and was not casting aspersions; I just wondered aloud if it played a role in the decision. The Giants, unfortunately, are not really a ‘progressive’ organization. Part of the reason they started Geno Smith when they did two years ago (instead of Davis Webb) was because they were the only team in the league that had never started a black quarterback. I know they were quite happy to quietly get off that list (especially in this day and age) and that it was certainly a motivating factor in the decision to start Geno Smith.

• Options

@keets said:
    if you were a Cleveland Browns fan like me, died in the wool and dead in the 90's for several years, revived only to suffer the ridicule of almost two decades at places like this you might at least be willing to give him a chance to fail. I'm not sure he will but I will wait. the Browns are on the cusp of being a .500 Team, can you understand the excitement that goes with that??!!?? it is hard to explain. OBJ may be a part of that and things of that nature can sometimes transform people and allow them to start anew.

I hope.

as for his talent, it is obvious. perhaps the OP has a rightful disdain for OBJ, players and management can do that to us. I will only say this --- on his biggest stage to date, at Home with a trip to the Super Bowl riding on the outcome, one of the best players in the NFL had a single catch in January. I doubt many KC fans are ready to write off Hill.

stuff happens, I think OBJ will be OK.

I hope.

Baker Mayfield has a much stronger personality than Eli Manning. Jarvis Landry was his college teammate and is presently one of Odell’s best friends. So the situation in Cleveland is sort of the best case scenario for a landing spot that could lead to redemption. Maybe we’re going to see Odell become what Randy Moss was in New England; a guy who began a career turnaround that lead him on a path to Canton.

It’s certainly possible. I do not think it will but I am no expert and have been wrong many, many times before about matters great and small.

• Options

@Justacommeman said:
    There aren’t enough legitimate play makers to go around. OBJ and Antonio Brown are two of them.

m

Well, it’s clear that perennial contenders like the Raiders and Browns certainly place a high value on each of them.

So they’ve got that going for them...which is nice.

• Options

@grote15 said:
    I don't dispute the fact that he is self-aborbed and a head case. But his stats when he's out on the field are undeniable and the Browns are unquestionably a better team with him on it. The Giants? Looking like another 4-12 season at best. In that sense, I can also understand why they traded Beckham as they are going nowhere with or without him, but one thing is crystal clear now that this has unfolded the way it has: signing him to that contract last summer was asinine and ill conceived.

Take some Pepto; I’m fairly certain it also works on diarrhea of the mouth.

How could the Browns be ‘unquestionably a better team’ and the Giants be on the path to ‘4-12, at best’ when free agency has just begun, the draft hasn’t happened and the NFL season is 6 months away?

By the way, if you don’t like the pink liquid version, there’s capsules too.

• Options

@grote15 said:
    I don't dispute the fact that he is self-aborbed and a head case. But his stats when he's out on the field are undeniable and the Browns are unquestionably a better team with him on it. The Giants? Looking like another 4-12 season at best. In that sense, I can also understand why they traded Beckham as they are going nowhere with or without him, but one thing is crystal clear now that this has unfolded the way it has: signing him to that contract last summer was asinine and ill conceived.

How could the Browns be ‘unquestionably a better team’ and the Giants be on the path to ‘4-12, at best’ when free agency has just begun, the draft hasn’t happened and the NFL season is 6 months away?

You don't think the Browns aren't a better team on offense with Beckham at WR? You are about as clueless as Gettleman who spent over 20 million on Beckham last season for 12 games, LOL..Have fun with Eli Manning at QB for another lost season, LOL...

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great coaches such as Bill Belichick understand that the key to building a championship football team is putting together the right players, not necessarily the most talented.

My opinion is that a player such as Odell Beckham is more trouble than he's worth.

The Browns seemed to be on a path to putting together a future Super Bowl contending team. I think they regressed by signing Beckham.

We shall see if Beckham turns out to be good fit or not for the Browns.

• Options

@grote15 said:

@grote15 said:

You don't think the Browns aren't a better team on offense with Beckham at WR? You are about as clueless as Gettleman who spent over 20 million on Beckham last season for 12 games, LOL..Have fun with Eli Manning at QB for another lost season, LOL...

LOL’s are the mark of a moron. Thanks for double stamping yourself. Easier to identify.

Appreciate it.

• Options

@stevek said:
    Great coaches such as Bill Belichick understand that the key to building a championship football team is putting together the right players, not necessarily the most talented.

My opinion is that a player such as Odell Beckham is more trouble than he's worth.

The Browns seemed to be on a path to putting together a future Super Bowl contending team. I think they regressed by signing Beckham.

This is the year they seemingly have all the right pieces in place. I would expect that should the Browns not make the playoffs this season it will be a big disappointment.

• Options
    edited March 23, 2019 10:45PM

@grote15 said:

@grote15 said:

LOL’s are the mark of a moron. Thanks for double stamping yourself. Easier to identify.

Appreciate it.

Glad to oblige. LOL++

• Options

Look, I am not an Odell Beckham fan. I never said I was. My point is simply that he is a terrific WR when he is healthy and on the field and that he makes the Browns better on offense. I also think the Giants have stuck too long with Eli Manning. I doubt most fans would dispute either one of those assertions but if so, be my guest. I really don't care one way or the other. We'll see where these two teams stand at the end of the season.

• Options

@grote15 said:

@stevek said:

This is the year they seemingly have all the right pieces in place. I would expect that should the Browns not make the playoffs this season it will be a big disappointment.

The way i see it, the basic problem with a player such as Odell Beckham is yes, he will likely put up good stats for the Browns this upcoming season. But at the end of the season, if the Browns still only get 7 or 8 wins, the pundits will be scratching their heads saying how can this be? How can the Browns win 7 games in 2018, add Odell Beckham, he puts up good stats, yet it didn't contribute to more wins?

I'll tell you how...because a player such as Odell Beckham cannibalizes opportunities from other players, and creates distractions which can interfere with the performance of other players, especially a young quarterback.

Perhaps I'm wrong about how Beckham will do this season. Maybe he will turn over a new leaf, become a team player, and put his team's success ahead of his bombastic ego. We shall see.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:

m

Well, it’s clear that perennial contenders like the Raiders and Browns certainly place a high value on each of them.

So they’ve got that going for them...which is nice.

I’m not going to fault them for trying. The Raiders basically got Brown for Cooper and a first round pick out of it. OBJ was relatively cheap and the Browns have the assets.

As you have been saying let’s see how this plays out.

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

Everything said here about OBJ is true....on both sides. Like Steve and Mark stated.....we will have to wait and see.

• Options
    breakdownbreakdown Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 25, 2019 1:14AM

It is hard to know what teammates think of Beckham. I live in NY area and it's hard to separate wheat from chaff on talk radio etc. I think most teammates want guys that make the team better. Is he a diva? Of course, and so are most other great WRs. I don't understand comparing Edelman to Beckham or Brown as Edelman is a slot player (and an awfully good one).
    I also believe Eli was done over a year ago. They have won 3 and 5 games in the last two years and while he was running for his life for a good portion of that, he was also making the questionable turnovers that have always marked his career. He should walk straight into the HOF for two unbelievable playoff runs but he is a shell at this point. JMO.

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,213 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds like we are talking about RANDY MOSS! Another talented loser.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

@JoeBanzai said:

I would take Moss over OBJ any day in a heartbeat!

• Options

@MLBdays said:
    @grote15.....agreed ... Johnny Bench once said if Jerry Grote were on the Cincinnati Reds Johnny would have been the teams 3rd baseman.

You are kidding right!!!! Putting Jerry Grote in the same sentence as the GOAT catcher which is Bench is totally laughable.

• Options

@MLBdays said:
    @DIMEMAN ....Johnny was referring to Jerry's defense being the best in the NL... not his hitting.

Exactly.

• Options

@grote15 said:

@MLBdays said:
    @DIMEMAN ....Johnny was referring to Jerry's defense being the best in the NL... not his hitting.

Exactly.

Sorry....Johnny was better on both sides....come on.

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

@grote15 said:

@MLBdays said:

Exactly.

I'll take Johnny's opinion over yours.

• Options

@grote15 said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@grote15 said:

@MLBdays said:

Exactly.

Do you actually believe he meant that? LOL...……..there was nobody better than Bench throwing runners out.

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

@grote15 said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@grote15 said:

@MLBdays said:

Exactly.

Do you actually believe he meant that? LOL...……..there was nobody better than Bench throwing runners out.

It doesn't matter if I believed it. Johnny Bench did. Unless you know him personally or can read his mind.

I'm not saying Grote was better than Bench~far from it. But he was an outstanding defensive catcher and when the best catcher of all time makes a statement like that, I take him at his word.

• Options
    fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭✭

Through 2017 Manning's stats without Beckham 75.0 rating 40.4 QBR & 14/14 TD/INT vs with Beckham 91.5 rating 56.1 QBR & 66/29 TD/INT. OBJ won't "cannibalize opportunities", that is some high level stupidity there, on the contrary elite WRs like OBJ create opportunities for lesser talented WRs and TEs by requiring extra attention from the defense.

Manning has sucked as a QB for 3+ years and is the reason the Giants are terrible. Maybe he will get on HGH like his brother and rejuvenate his career.

Robb

• Options

@fergie23 said:
    Through 2017 Manning's stats without Beckham 75.0 rating 40.4 QBR & 14/14 TD/INT vs with Beckham 91.5 rating 56.1 QBR & 66/29 TD/INT. OBJ won't "cannibalize opportunities", that is some high level stupidity there, on the contrary elite WRs like OBJ create opportunities for lesser talented WRs and TEs by requiring extra attention from the defense.

Manning has sucked as a QB for 3+ years and is the reason the Giants are terrible. Maybe he will get on HGH like his brother and rejuvenate his career.

Robb

We're talking Odell Beckham here, not some unselfish star player who would enjoy creating opportunities for his fellow teammates to help the team.

If Beckham creates distractions during the game, and the young QB tries to shut him up by forcing passes to him, that fail to successfully move the football and win games, then that is cannibalizing opportunities for other players, and hurts the team.

Can the young QB discipline himself to ignore Beckham's rants, let the plays unfold, and make the right decisions during the game? Can the head coach stifle the silly antics of Beckham so that the team is not distracted, and stays focused on the task at hand?

We shall see what the Browns record is at the end of this upcoming season.

• Options

The one thing that the Browns got going for them is Mayfield acts like he has been in the league for 10 years, he is the perfect combination of a leader and a punk. I highly doubt he is going to cater to Beckham’s “Throw me the ball or I will pout” type attitude. Nor will he care in my opinion

• Options

I've read that about Mayfield, and of course the Browns front office is counting on Mayfield to be able to handle it.

Still, he's only a second year QB and in the heat of a game, especially in the heat of a play, attitudes can change in milliseconds.

If the Browns only win 7 or 8 games, despite Beckham putting up good stats, don't be surprised.

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

@JoeBanzai said:

Same guy different name.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

@JoeBanzai said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@JoeBanzai said:

Same guy different name.

I remember you saying you didn't like him as a Viking. But all I remember is him going up and catching anything thrown at him.

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@JoeBanzai said:

Same guy different name.

I remember you saying you didn't like him as a Viking. But all I remember is him going up and catching anything thrown at him.

Your buddy Romo had fantastic numbers, yet you call HIM a loser!

I get it, you saw Moss' highlights. I saw those too, I also saw all the times he dogged it when asked to go over the middle and would disappear for games if he got hit hard early.

He WAS great running a fly pattern against a 5'7" cornerback in single coverage. WOW!

He was the epitomy of a selfish player. If you worship talent over all else, he was certainly the best of all time. Moss had everything, tall, fast, great hands, he should be head and shoulders above all the others who played that position.

I wouldn't have Moss on my team EVER.

He was a quitter. Winners never quit, quitters never win.

• Options

@JoeBanzai said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@JoeBanzai said:

Same guy different name.

Your buddy Romo had fantastic numbers, yet you call HIM a loser!

I get it, you saw Moss' highlights. I saw those too, I also saw all the times he dogged it when asked to go over the middle and would disappear for games if he got hit hard early.

He WAS great running a fly pattern against a 5'7" cornerback in single coverage. WOW!

He was the epitomy of a selfish player. If you worship talent over all else, he was certainly the best of all time. Moss had everything, tall, fast, great hands, he should be head and shoulders above all the others who played that position.

I wouldn't have Moss on my team EVER.

He was a quitter. Winners never quit, quitters never win.

I'll take your word on this. Evidently you saw him play more than I did.