Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

New Forum Rule - Trolls, Alts, and Bans

Comments

• Options
    fiftysevenerfiftysevener Posts: 898 ✭✭✭✭

I am who I say I am, not necessarily who I want to be. But there is still time.

• Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

I guess we’re special!

• Options
    speedemonspeedemon Posts: 207 ✭✭

if you pretty much feel like your being trolled then simply dont respond and feed the trolls ego. if they know they can play everyone like a fiddle then its like a junkie to drugs. they wont stop

• Options
    speedemonspeedemon Posts: 207 ✭✭

some people are just miserable and want everyone else to keep them company

• Options
    ilikemonstersilikemonsters Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭

I don't really understand the purpose or reason for having a second or third account. Thank you for finding the troll. Great job on the investigating.

Nice seeing you at the show.

• Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry you have to do this. Thank you.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great work Heather and Brett!

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are ya'll sure this is the same Wabbit? I don't remember numbers after his name...but I must confess I don't pay that much attention!

• Options
    emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here, Hear.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

¡Adiós amigo! ¡Qué embarazoso!

• Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

@amwldcoin said:
    Are ya'll sure this is the same Wabbit? I don't remember numbers after his name...but I must confess I don't pay that much attention!

There is Wabbit and Wabbit2313. Wabbit has not been banned.

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭✭✭

@yspsales said:
    I hope those of us who have floated in and out of the hobby aren't on the chopping block.

I have two other alts dating back 10 years or so because I couldn't remember the old passwords or emails.

Please don't ban me!

Ban them... but not me... hahaha

Should be easy enough to see the difference between abandoned / forgotten accounts and those that are active at the same time and replying to themselves in the same threads.

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,419 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Gluggo said:
    I guess we’re special!

<--------------------I'm Spacial

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

this is good news. I have a question and some thought to go with it:
    Why are rules written, locked at the top of page one, periodically trotted out with a ForumWide Scolding, some bannings and then, at a later date, those who were banned allowed to return?? this makes no sense to me and Mr. Spock would have a field day with the reasoning.

here's my take --- we all know the rules and conduct ourselves accordingly. most often when someone steps over the line it is by choice with an understanding of the consequences. if that's the case we should accept the results of those choice and move on. no more pleading to bring this or that member back, no more asking to return, no more "be a good boy or you're gone" again.

just my take, hopefully I haven't stepped over someone's line in the sand.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

@HeatherBoyd said:

@keets said:

this is good news. I have a question and some thought to go with it:
    Why are rules written, locked at the top of page one, periodically trotted out with a ForumWide Scolding, some bannings and then, at a later date, those who were banned allowed to return?? this makes no sense to me and Mr. Spock would have a field day with the reasoning.

here's my take --- we all know the rules and conduct ourselves accordingly. most often when someone steps over the line it is by choice with an understanding of the consequences. if that's the case we should accept the results of those choice and move on. no more pleading to bring this or that member back, no more asking to return, no more "be a good boy or you're gone" again.

just my take, hopefully I haven't stepped over someone's line in the sand.

Hi Keets, with that reasoning crazyhounddog, Rogerb, insider2, jwitten, Mfeld and many more would still be banned. So far the people Brett and I have banned will not be allowed back in, however, those banned under the less consistent old guard deserve another chance IMO.

Eek! Heather, you are just opening yourself up to appeals by the banned or their friends.

I think Keets point is that if someone violates established rules, they are doing it with known consequences and acceptance of those consequences is the proper adult behavior.

And in this particular case, it was a virtual repeat of the Great Purge of 1918 where the member intentionally baited other forumites (who should know better than to take the bait) and then started tagging you forcing you to get involved. They had to know what would happen.

In general, I think you and Brett have moderated reasonably and I trust your steady rudder. I'm sure (without knowing) that you would not swing an ax where a friendly reminder would do.

Thanks for all your help!

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now where is that post of the pic of CPT Picard...

:)

• Options

Heather, believe me when I say that it would have been easy in the past for me to lose control and just go off. what reigned me in is the certain knowledge that I would be banned and lose the opportunity to play here. that others haven't been able to excercise restraint, been banned and can still enjoy this forum strikes me as not quite right.

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,637 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets - since this is a chat board, I think the death penalty (banning) is an extreme measure. Using it for spammers and those who stir trouble with alts are deserving of such fates. Other rule violators should receive progressive discipline before bamming is undertaken. I do agree, under my above take of the consequences, that once banned, no return.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options

yes, and we are all six now and need a time-out or a nap. part of growing through adolescence and into mature adulthood is knowing that consequences follow actions.

• Options
    jtlee321jtlee321 Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with the Mods on how they have permanently banned some members and have allowed others to return after a time out. Imagine if our judicial system had only one punishment? Someone who negligently injures someone unintentionally is given the exact same sentence that an individual who commits first degree murder? No the punishment should fit the crime. That's why when someone who gets pulled over for going 72 in a 65 mph zone will get a smaller fine compared to someone who was doing 105 in that same 65 mph zone. The mods discipline at their discretion, as they should. Sometimes they ban everyone and shut them down while they sort out the events. Some of the individuals who were trolled and sucked in by the heat of the moment get a second chance, while the instigators with multiple alts get a permanent vacation. Seems fair to me.

• Options
    calgolddivercalgolddiver Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭✭✭

thank you for the diligence and investigation !

Top 25 Type Set 1792 to present

Top 10 Cal Fractional Type Set

successful BST with Ankurj, BigAl, Bullsitter, CommemKing, DCW(7), Elmerfusterpuck, Joelewis, Mach1ne, Minuteman810430, Modcrewman, Nankraut, Nederveit2, Philographer(5), Realgator, Silverpop, SurfinxHI, TomB and Yorkshireman(3)

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Catbert said: "Since this is a chat board, I think the death penalty (banning) is an extreme measure. Using it for spammers and those who stir trouble with alts are deserving of such fates. Other rule violators should receive progressive discipline before bamming is undertaken. I do agree, under my above take of the consequences, that once banned, no return."

This saved me a long post replying to a member.

This is a PCGS form. Therefore, anything they decide goes. There are printed rules. They can be changed, or ignored by the representatives of PCGS. What we think does not matter; yet we are getting more (UNNECESSARY but helpful) explanations about how this site works and the decisions made here.

Up until three years ago I never looked at any form of computer communication. IMHO, anyone posting on these social forms in the amount of time I spend here may have a personality defect. While I learn things and share opinions,posting with others is addicting.

For that reason, being banned is hurtful. It's like taking a drug away from an addict. You get to log in and read pure BS and misinformation yet cannot reply!

I've written in the past that I would have a very low tolerance for any type of abuse. One warning, then one short vacation, then total ban. Nevertheless, when you have total authority/power, it is extremely easy to forgive. Thus, transgressors who got banned for good reason and have deserved to have been banned yet have contributed in very positive ways to this forum should be a special case. In some cases, I probably would even ask them to return!

So, leeway is good. banning is good, and none of us is in the loop. Thankfully, the forum is in better hands than mine!

Attila

• Options
    CoinPhysicistCoinPhysicist Posts: 597 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 21, 2019 9:19AM

Thank you for the work you guys are doing to keep this place in check. Unfortunately, with internet forums comes the need for moderation.

[Related to trolls] I personally think something needs to be done about the "Is this a DDO" type threads. Frankly, a lot of them are posted by trolls with brand new accounts. I think we should have 1 single mega-thread where everyone who has been a member for less than a year or who has less than X posts asks all their "Is this a DDO" type questions. On rare occasion, a forum member of years asks the question, but its generally much more thought out and not troll-like at all and they should be allowed to ask it in the US Coins Forum. But that should be an earned privilege and new posters should have to ask it in a mega thread somewhere to contain all the trolling related to it in 1 toxic place.

Successful transactions with: wondercoin, Tetromibi, PerryHall, PlatinumDuck, JohnMaben/Pegasus Coin & Jewelry, CoinFlip, and coinlieutenant.

• Options
    giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,826 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow. I feel so naïve. I never even considered creating an alt in all these years I've been on the forum!

Kind regards,

George

VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hemispherical said:
    Now where is that post of the pic of CPT Picard...

This the one you're looking for?

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,997 ✭✭✭✭✭

Alts tabbed and deleted! Prolly a lot more out there.

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BAJJERFAN said:
    Alts tabbed and deleted! Prolly a lot more out there.

But they are behaving. :)

• Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like to think @HeatherBoyd is familiar with a lot of the posters here now that she has been helping to control the forum. It's easy to pick out the forumites who bring a lot of useful information and all around acceptable coin related behavior. It's also easy to spot the antagonists/trolls who like to fly under the radar by posting a coin photo while including the trolling behavior. No doubt, in the past, if you received the axe, that was it. Yesterday it was confirmed people have been creating multiple accounts to usurp the banning process. Those people are gaming the system to enable themselves to act out and get around the moderators authority. Once in a while we all have an off day and say the wrong thing or act inappropriately and presently Heather gives us the "mom stare" and we get back in line. That's a much better solution than chopping them out of the community permanently. I'm not sure why people come here to waste incredible amounts of time to troll the forum, but I do know it often ends in mob mentality and then banning of some well meaning forumites. Doing nothing with the trolls is not the answer. Trolls are here to disrupt and should be banned permanently.

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options
    Raybob15239Raybob15239 Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭

@Redglobe said:
    Are some people that bored or unhappy to create all that drama???

Some people are just schmucks.

Successful B/S/T transactions: As Seller: PascoWA (June 2008); MsMorrisine (April 2009); ECHOES (July 2009) As Buyer: bfjohnson (July 2008); robkool (Dec 2010); itsnotjustme (Dec 2010) TwoSides2aCoin (Dec 2018) PrivateCoin Jan 2019
  • Options

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't you mean "Penny-alty"? :*

• Options
    giantsfan20giantsfan20 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 21, 2019 11:15PM

@CoinPhysicist said:
    Thank you for the work you guys are doing to keep this place in check. Unfortunately, with internet forums comes the need for moderation.

[Related to trolls] I personally think something needs to be done about the "Is this a DDO" type threads. Frankly, a lot of them are posted by trolls with brand new accounts. I think we should have 1 single mega-thread where everyone who has been a member for less than a year or who has less than X posts asks all their "Is this a DDO" type questions. On rare occasion, a forum member of years asks the question, but its generally much more thought out and not troll-like at all and they should be allowed to ask it in the US Coins Forum. But that should be an earned privilege and new posters should have to ask it in a mega thread somewhere to contain all the trolling related to it in 1 toxic place.

Very well stated CP

The banning of that person was odd but to me not that big deal.. The posts were not questionable in nature like the floof of is this ddo or pmd. How are earth do new people know that term.

Always wonder what reason the POLL guy got the hook? Guess his crime was flooding the forum at once? and if he spread it out a couple of days would be fine. QA has a couple of those and did not get removed. So is QA free reign for Trolls as well to flood that room if so desired?

Again the issue is those new and old posters alike posting junk and as long as the moderaters move it over to QA would be fine. even nicer would ban and delete of all posts.

I still see the same culpirts in the main forum.

Flag those spammers and maybe like their increased interest in subject something can be done about them

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sock puppet theater, brought to you courtesy of the internet where anyone with a particle of intelligence and knows how to type can stir up a storm as a keyboard warrior....

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

wait so this is a different wabbit? now it makes more sense

• Options
    jgennjgenn Posts: 738 ✭✭✭✭✭

A big thanks to those of you with accounts on other forums that post links back to some of the truly interesting threads here.

• Options

Someone is cleaning up threads and moving them to the Q&A forum. Makes it easier to see... Alt talking to alt?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/comment/12258314/#Comment_12258314

• Options
    Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hemispherical said:
    Someone is cleaning up threads and moving them to the Q&A forum. Makes it easier to see... Alt talking to alt?

Awesome. Very happy to see that. Have you noticed some “alts” were made the same day, with in minutes/ seconds. I bet a :) that a single IP has 3 or more

• Options
    edited March 22, 2019 6:10AM

@Aspie_Rocco said:

@Hemispherical said:

Awesome. Very happy to see that. Have you noticed some “alts” were made the same day, with in minutes/ seconds. I bet a :) that a single IP has 3 or more

Or more.

• Options

Syracuse, Sicily imitating Ptolemaic Issues of Ptolemy II Philadelphos in Alexandria, Minted under Hieron II, Ruled 270-215 BC
    AE Litra (Sicilian value), Uncertain mint in Sicily, Struck post-reform circa 264-263 BC
    Obverse: Laureate head of Zeus right (Sicilian Portrait Style B).
    Reverse: ΠTOΛEMAIOY BAΣIΛEΩΣ, Eagle standing left on thunderbolt, with wings spread; oval shield to left, control mark A to lower right near eagle tail; all within solid circle border.
    References: Svoronos 615, Wolf & Lorber, ‘Western Greek’ Style, Subgroup 3, H69 (A42/P56)
    Size: 27mm, 18.3g

Anyways, I learned a lot from this departure from the normal "finding it on ACSearch" and had some fun in the process.

Also, I thought I'd share another Sicilian coin that was ordered and delivered with the above coin: add lcb

• Options

Crozer Chester Medical Center could be what is the study of.... intent UCLA

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bronco2078 said:
    wait so this is a different wabbit? now it makes more sense

The more prolific "Wabbit" which most people have interacted with is Wabbit2313. Wabbit has not been to the forum since 2006.

This discussion has been closed.