Home Sports Talk
Options

The best three movies ever produced...in the history of cinema!!!

Comments

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    The twilight zones were the best tv run of shows in my opinion

T.V. has to be Gunsmoke.

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

@1951WheatiesPremium said:
    Citizen Kane has great film innovations, sure. But it’s perhaps also considered great because of how hard Hearst tried to stop its production and release. This is well chronicled in the HBO Original movie RKO 281 and delves into Hearst’s attempts to upend, delay and get the public to ignore the film.

The same William Randolf Hearst, who aboard his yacht accidentally murdered Thomas Ince, thinking he was Charlie Chaplin. Mr Chaplin was allegedly also sleeping with Marion Davies, Hearst’s mistress, at the time. Ready to bring this post full circle?

The film’s famous “Rosebud” motif is drawn from the real-life Hearst’s love for flowers. More sinister on the part of Orson Wells is that the term also is said to signify Hearst’s nickname for the genitalia of Marion Davies, his Hollywood mistress.

He sure did "wonders" for the upbringing of his granddaughter Patty Hearst who was "kidnapped" - yea, sure she was...and some dope winds up pardoning her as if she was innocent.

I never heard of that HBO movie - very interesting. Those sure were different times back then, when the newspapers had such enormous power. The media still does have enormous power though in a variety of different ways.

We have segued to patty Hearst.

heh.

• Options

@perkdog said:
    The twilight zones were the best tv run of shows in my opinion

Agree with that.

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dallasactuary said:

That last one is the reason Robert Parish is nicknamed Chief.

I didn't know that. It's always hard to apportion credit among actors, writers and directors, but every single performance in Cuckoo's Nest - from Academy Award winners like Nicholson down through unknowns (at the time) like Christopher Lloyd, Danny Devito, Will Sampson (Chief), Brad Dourif, etc. was just perfect. Same for the Godfather films. Also true for Dog Day Afternoon, but I wasn't going to list three Pacino/Cazale movies as my top 3.

Everyone one assumes it’s about the ‘peace pipe’ but as the story goes it came from Larry Bird. In practice, shortly after Parish came to the Celtics in trade, Larry was growing increasingly frustrated with Parish calling for the entry pass of the ball ‘low’ in the low post. Larry felt, probably correctly, that the seven footer should be calling for a higher pass and finally exclaimed, ‘You gotta raise your arms up, Chief! Just raise your arms up, Chief!’ invoking one of the best scenes from the movie and reducing the team to tears with laughter...

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    coinpro76coinpro76 Posts: 366 ✭✭✭

One of my favorites I can watch over and over again is Reservoir Dogs, Amazing cast and Soundtrack.

all around collector of many fine things

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 19, 2019 10:54AM

Naked Prey, Journey to the center of the Earth, 1 Million Years BC are some of my favorites as a kid that I still love

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    Naked Prey, Journey to the center of the Earth, 1 Million Years BC are some of my favorites as a kid that I still love

Yea, we all know why you liked 1 Million Years BC and don't deny it. 👩

• Options

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

Yea, we all know why you liked 1 Million Years BC and don't deny it. 👩

She is absolutely up there as a top 5 all time favorite 👩‍🦳👀🤗

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,736 ✭✭✭✭✭

Too many to choose from, but in the area of comedy I like:

1. Young Frankenstein ("What hump?");
    2. Blazing Saddles; and
    3. The Producers.

Mel Brooks is a comic genius.

• Options

Wizard of Oz should probably be on every list. Computers today hinder creativity rather than enhance it. Had to be quite an experience to walk into a theater in 1939 and see the color pop across the screen.

• Options

@Coinstartled said:
    Wizard of Oz should probably be on every list. Computers today hinder creativity rather than enhance it. Had to be quite an experience to walk into a theater in 1939 and see the color pop across the screen.

Useful things make for useless people.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:

Well we almost made it without that pile of cinematic garbage being mentioned.

If you want to watch a classic from 1939 its 'Stagecoach' the movie that put John Wayne on the map.

• Options

John Wayne was a talentless lug/

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

Casablanca
    Godfather 1 and 2
    Shawshank Redemption

But I could name 10 more that are right up there.
    Citizen Kane
    Forest Gump
    Goodfellas
    Its a Wonderful Life
    The African Queen
    Silence of the Lambs
    Schindlers List
    Psycho
    Star Wars
    Jaws
    Gone with the Wind. Etc

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,923 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 19, 2019 5:19PM

I've flat out refuse to watch the Academy Awards since The Wizard (1989) for some inexplicable reason didn't even get one nomination!! :(

WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:

First the Rolling Stones and now John Wayne. Who's next? Michelangelo?

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options
    HJP717HJP717 Posts: 76 ✭✭

Gone With the Wind
    The Godfather parts one and two
    Goodfellas

• Options

@dallasactuary said:

@Coinstartled said:

First the Rolling Stones and now John Wayne. Who's next? Michelangelo?

Wayne was like Cary Grant. He played himself.

True Grit was ok but not nearly as good as any early episode of Bonanza.

• Options

@Coinstartled said:

Maybe you’ve just missed some of the good ones?

I don’t know how people can watch the Quiet Man, True Grit or Red River and not grasp his talent. He was typecast but he embraced it and gave some excellent performances. Not my personal favorite but solid and made some good movies...

• Options

Watched True Grit and and Green Beret. He took up a lot of space on the screen.

That might have been an asset in the 60's. I dunno.

• Options

@Coinstartled said:
    Watched True Grit and and Green Beret. He took up a lot of space on the screen.

That might have been an asset in the 60's. I dunno.

I would give The Quiet Man a try; a bit atypical storyline for John Wayne but still in his wheelhouse where he could play the character. Closest thing to range that you’ll see...

• Options

I think it was after the Searchers John Ford or one of the big directors said of Wayne,
    "I didn't know the big SOB could act"

And actually very good in True Grit. Ever see someone play that role who doesn't have the screen
    presence of John Wayne? The remake was pretty laughable with Jeff Bridges. Talk about overacting.

• Options

🎥 🍿

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

Airplane an all time great movie? Shirley you must be kidding.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Darin said:
    And actually very good in True Grit. Ever see someone play that role who doesn't have the screen
    presence of John Wayne? The remake was pretty laughable with Jeff Bridges. Talk about overacting.

What Bridges was doing, or trying to do, was a 2-hour John Wayne impersonation; an acknowledgment, I think, that Wayne had done the role as well as it could be done. The talentless lug had won the Oscar for that role, after all.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options

@dallasactuary said:

@Darin said:

What Bridges was doing, or trying to do, was a 2-hour John Wayne impersonation; an acknowledgment, I think, that Wayne had done the role as well as it could be done. The talentless lug had won the Oscar for that role, after all.

And a kid will stare at the Jack Morris plaque in Cooperstown and ask his dad if Morris was a great player.

"Of course he was" will reply the old man. He is in the baseball Hall of Fame.

• Options
    maplemanmapleman Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 19, 2019 6:53PM

1. Casablanca - Despite it’s being a propaganda piece, it is the finest film ever made. It is truly amazing how many quoted lines, borrowed film techniques and references to this film have appeared in the aftermath of its creation. Bogie. Bergman. Dooley Wilson as Sam. One of the great forgotten stars - Claude Rains - in perhaps his best performance. Fair to say if you’ve never seen this movie, you’ll regret it. Maybe not today or tomorrow but someday soon and for the rest of your life.

1. It’s a Wonderful Life - Initially a box office bomb, this one is often forgotten when it comes time to make these types of lists. Often imitated yet never duplicated, I don’t think there’s a man or woman out there who can watch this movie and not ‘feel’ it. Jimmy Stewart’s performance as George Bailey might be the greatest and most relatable human character ever created in print or on film. The highs and lows, trials and tribulations and the interconnected nature of mankind and our remarkable capacity for goodness, charity, understanding and forgiveness all with a perfect blend of free will and predestination by Providence.

2. True Romance - Considering my other two choices, you might be scratching your head here (or wondering if I have been hit on mine) but please hear me out. One of the earliest and best written tales from the mind of Quentin Tarantino, it follows the unlikely love story between Clarence and Alabama as they head west with ill gotten gains after some questionable decisions. Spectacular action, smart dialogue and perhaps the greatest ensemble of actors - playing roles great and small - ever assembled for one film in the entire history of Hollywood. Now, tell me...am I lying?

I respect everyone else choices too but if you haven’t seen ANY of these three movies, take tomorrow off from work and watch them all.

Agree completely on Casablanca. Sleeper 2nd and blazing saddles 3rd I'm into comedy but watch Casablanca at least twice a year.

• Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 19, 2019 7:14PM

The Odessa File
    Forrest Gump
    A Few Good Men

Forgot about Saving Private Ryan. When I walked out of that theater there wasn't a sound or a dry eye

• Options

@pocketpiececommems said:
    The Odessa File
    Forrest Gump
    A Few Good Men

Forgot about Saving Private Ryan. When I walked out of that theater there wasn't a sound or a dry eye

Odessa file was a great movie.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,241 ✭✭✭✭✭

Impossible task here. MANY great movies mentioned already!

I like "One Flew Over the Cucoo's Nest", "Saving Private Ryan" for Drama, going to pick a comedy and say "Planes, Trains and Automobiles". Sci-Fi has got to be "Star Wars" for me. Four already.

Two movies that I have seen once and prolly won't see again; "Schindler's List" and "Exorcist". Both movies bothered me.

Thought I would point out to the people who don't think John Wayne was a great actor. I have heard it said it's easier to chew up scenery a la Bob DeNiro than it is to be believable performing in a subdued role.

DeNiro is of course a great actor. I enjoyed him in "Midnight Run" over any of his psychopathic characters.

Has "The Departed" been mentioned? Nicholson has been in some good films.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

"DeNiro is of course a great actor. I enjoyed him in "Midnight Run" over any of his psychopathic characters."

Not a great movie by any stretch, but I have watched Bronx Tale a number of times and will watch it several more.

"Now You'se can't leave" is an epic line uttered by Sonny at the halfway mark of the movie.

• Options
    AC000000AC000000 Posts: 251 ✭✭✭

Hell's Angels
    Citizen Kane
    2001 A Space Odyssey

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,736 ✭✭✭✭✭

Like others, when I first saw 2001, A Space Odyssey I thought it was visually stunning but totally incomprehensible. Later on I read the novel and the movie then made sense. One of my all time favorite movies. Arthur C. Clarke and Stanley Kubrick created a masterpiece.

• Options

I had a great music teacher in my catholic high school. He had been in a crazy rock n roll band in the late 60s early 70s, went to jail and while he was there he found Jesus (He did not like us asking him why Jesus was in prison!). He was a very preachy and very crazy man with a good heart and a great talent for music.

Anyhow, this was a basic, intro to music course that was required and he taught those of us who paid attention quite a bit. Part of the class involved the ‘power’ music held - without anyone really being aware of it - to create emotion, tension and elicit responses from the audience. He showed us 5 minutes of the original King Kong then the same 5 minutes on mute. The difference is immense - from palpable tension and angst to outright laughter at the scenes once the music was gone.

I mention this because as I peruse the excellent list we’ve compiled, I would say that almost each and every film is probably just as recognizable by its music and it’s visual properties. A few even referenced the great music soundtracks (‘Lookin back on the tracks for a little green bag...) but even the more classical compositions (Theme from 2001: A Space Odyssey, or some of those great, identifiable Western theme songs) certainly evoke the films each time they’re heard.

• Options

I had a great music teacher in my catholic high school. He had been in a crazy rock n roll band in the late 60s early 70s, went to jail and while he was there he found Jesus (He did not like us asking him why Jesus was in prison!). He was a very preachy and very crazy man with a good heart and a great talent for music.

Anyhow, this was a basic, intro to music course that was required and he taught those of us who paid attention quite a bit. Part of the class involved the ‘power’ music held - without anyone really being aware of it - to create emotion, tension and elicit responses from the audience. He showed us 5 minutes of the original King Kong then the same 5 minutes on mute. The difference is immense - from palpable tension and angst to outright laughter at the scenes once the music was gone.

I mention this because as I peruse the excellent list we’ve compiled, I would say that almost each and every film is probably just as recognizable by its music and it’s visual properties. A few even referenced the great music soundtracks (‘Lookin back on the tracks for a little green bag...) but even the more classical compositions (Theme from 2001: A Space Odyssey, or some of those great, identifiable Western theme songs) certainly evoke the films each time they’re heard.

Excellent post, Wheatie.

Every studio had its own orchestra up until the 1960's and 1970's. Many films after that era go it on cheap and use old records as filler (pulp fiction for example).

• Options

@Coinstartled said:

Excellent post, Wheatie.

Every studio had its own orchestra up until the 1960's and 1970's. Many films after that era go it on cheap and use old records as filler (pulp fiction for example).

Thanks!

• Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

Gladiator
    Forrest Gump
    The Last Samurai

• Options

@SanctionII said:
    Too many to choose from, but in the area of comedy I like:

1. Young Frankenstein ("What hump?");
    2. Blazing Saddles; and
    3. The Producers.

Mel Brooks is a comic genius.

‘The inquisition! What a show! The inquisition! Here we go...’

• Options

@JoeBanzai said:

I like "One Flew Over the Cucoo's Nest", "Saving Private Ryan" for Drama, going to pick a comedy and say "Planes, Trains and Automobiles". Sci-Fi has got to be "Star Wars" for me. Four already.

Two movies that I have seen once and prolly won't see again; "Schindler's List" and "Exorcist". Both movies bothered me.

Thought I would point out to the people who don't think John Wayne was a great actor. I have heard it said it's easier to chew up scenery a la Bob DeNiro than it is to be believable performing in a subdued role.

DeNiro is of course a great actor. I enjoyed him in "Midnight Run" over any of his psychopathic characters.

It’s funny - I often wonder if things had been different if Bobby could have done comedy and say swapped spots with Bill Murray. Each playing all the others parts.

Would love to see Bill as Travis Bickle in Taxi Driver and Robert as maybe Phil Connors in Grounhog Day.

It could work, I’m telling you.

• Options

Agree with Mel Brooks being a comic genuis.
    Who else would bring Frankenstein's monster on stage to perform a few simple tasks,
    then segue into a rousing performance of "Puttin' on the Ritz", with the monster half yelling,
    half wailing, but definitely not singing the chorus. Who else would have thought of something like that?LOL.

• Options
    edited March 21, 2019 3:50AM

Young Frankenstein was genius.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,241 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:
    Young Frankenstein was genius.

One of the funnies scenes is with Peter Boyle and Gene Hackman.> @1951WheatiesPremium said:

@JoeBanzai said:

It’s funny - I often wonder if things had been different if Bobby could have done comedy and say swapped spots with Bill Murray. Each playing all the others parts.

Would love to see Bill as Travis Bickle in Taxi Driver and Robert as maybe Phil Connors in Grounhog Day.

It could work, I’m telling you.

De Niro has good comic timing. Did you know Charles Grodin beat out Robin Williams for the role of "The Duke" in "Midnight Run"?

"Ever have sex with an animal Jack?"

"There were a couple of chickens back there I would have taken a shot at."

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

Billy Wilder was a great director with many great films to his credit which include Double Indemnity, Sunset Blvd and Some Like it Hot.

He directed a comedy entitled One...Two..Three in 1961 starring James Cagney and Arlene Francis which would be my choice for the greatest underrated comedy film in cinema history. It has a snappy and sharp dialogue that is simply brilliant. The story takes place at the height of the Cold War in West Berlin. I will stop with the description and just suggest that the film be added to your list of must see films.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

I've been to Gouldings lodge at Monument Valley.' Tie a Yellow Ribbon' is an all time favorite western for me> @Darin said:

I think it was after the Searchers John Ford or one of the big directors said of Wayne,
    "I didn't know the big SOB could act"

• Options

Allow me to add. I'm a horseman.