Home Sports Talk

The best three movies ever produced...in the history of cinema!!!

CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
  1. Rocky
  2. Dog Day Afternoon
  3. Silence of the Lambs

Comments

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World is my favorite film, but it is tough to justify a comedy in the top three list.

;)

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dr Strangelove
    To Have and Have Not
    Memento

• 45isodd45isodd Posts: 206 ✭✭✭

The Godfather
    Pulp Fiction
    Shawshank Redemption

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 18, 2019 2:48PM

My favorites that I can watch 100x in a row

Pulp Fiction
    Fight Club
    Oh Brother Where Out Thou

But best ever that I saw?

Casablanca
    Citizen Kane
    The Godfather

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • DarinDarin Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tough to name just three.

Shane
    Apollo 13
    The Untouchables

Another three.

Gladiator
    The Searchers (now widely considered the greatest western ever)
    Treasure of the Sierra Madre (pure genius performance from Bogart)

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,339 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 18, 2019 4:40PM

Impossible to name just 3 but a trifecta of my favorites..The Good Sheppard, The curious Case of Benjamin Button, War of the Worlds ( 1950’s )

• 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. Casablanca - Despite it’s being a propaganda piece, it is the finest film ever made. It is truly amazing how many quoted lines, borrowed film techniques and references to this film have appeared in the aftermath of its creation. Bogie. Bergman. Dooley Wilson as Sam. One of the great forgotten stars - Claude Rains - in perhaps his best performance. Fair to say if you’ve never seen this movie, you’ll regret it. Maybe not today or tomorrow but someday soon and for the rest of your life.

2. It’s a Wonderful Life - Initially a box office bomb, this one is often forgotten when it comes time to make these types of lists. Often imitated yet never duplicated, I don’t think there’s a man or woman out there who can watch this movie and not ‘feel’ it. Jimmy Stewart’s performance as George Bailey might be the greatest and most relatable human character ever created in print or on film. The highs and lows, trials and tribulations and the interconnected nature of mankind and our remarkable capacity for goodness, charity, understanding and forgiveness all with a perfect blend of free will and predestination by Providence.

3. True Romance - Considering my other two choices, you might be scratching your head here (or wondering if I have been hit on mine) but please hear me out. One of the earliest and best written tales from the mind of Quentin Tarantino, it follows the unlikely love story between Clarence and Alabama as they head west with ill gotten gains after some questionable decisions. Spectacular action, smart dialogue and perhaps the greatest ensemble of actors - playing roles great and small - ever assembled for one film in the entire history of Hollywood. Now, tell me...am I lying?

I respect everyone else choices too but if you haven’t seen ANY of these three movies, take tomorrow off from work and watch them all.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

@Coinstartled said:
    It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World is my favorite film, but it is tough to justify a comedy in the top three list.

;)

Classic, one of my favorites, The Pink Panther movies are absolutely hilarious too

@1951WheatiesPremium said:
    1. Casablanca - Despite it’s being a propaganda piece, it is the finest film ever made. It is truly amazing how many quoted lines, borrowed film techniques and references to this film have appeared in the aftermath of its creation. Bogie. Bergman. Dooley Wilson as Sam. One of the great forgotten stars - Claude Rains - in perhaps his best performance. Fair to say if you’ve never seen this movie, you’ll regret it. Maybe not today or tomorrow but someday soon and for the rest of your life.

1. It’s a Wonderful Life - Initially a box office bomb, this one is often forgotten when it comes time to make these types of lists. Often imitated yet never duplicated, I don’t think there’s a man or woman out there who can watch this movie and not ‘feel’ it. Jimmy Stewart’s performance as George Bailey might be the greatest and most relatable human character ever created in print or on film. The highs and lows, trials and tribulations and the interconnected nature of mankind and our remarkable capacity for goodness, charity, understanding and forgiveness all with a perfect blend of free will and predestination by Providence.

2. True Romance - Considering my other two choices, you might be scratching your head here (or wondering if I have been hit on mine) but please hear me out. One of the earliest and best written tales from the mind of Quentin Tarantino, it follows the unlikely love story between Clarence and Alabama as they head west with ill gotten gains after some questionable decisions. Spectacular action, smart dialogue and perhaps the greatest ensemble of actors - playing roles great and small - ever assembled for one film in the entire history of Hollywood. Now, tell me...am I lying?

I respect everyone else choices too but if you haven’t seen ANY of these three movies, take tomorrow off from work and watch them all.

Tim, It’s a Wonderful Life is a favorite, it’s baffling to me that it was a dud in the theatres when it came out, 1946 if I remember correctly. Such a feel good movie after the war ect. It’s an all time classic. Ben Hur/Ten Commandments is a must around Easter btw 👍

@1951WheatiesPremium I have True Romance in my Top 10. The scene with Walken and Hopper is pure magic. My last bullmastiff was named Alabama after Patrica Arquette's character. The scene with Gary Oldman and Christian Slater is off the charts as well. Add Brad Pitt, Sam Jackson, Michael Rapaport, Val Kilmer, Chris etc etc etc

I grew up in Detroit and ended up in LA just like the story line as well.

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

Saw this for the first time a few months ago in a theater. I was not at all looking forward to it. Went to the movie mainly because "everybody needs to see it someday".

I was shocked at how much I enjoyed it. It was soooo cool to see the context for so many of the quoted lines. I was also expecting it to be slow-paced and dull and it was the exact opposite. Very fast-paced and FUNNY. I had no idea it would be that funny.

I dunno if I'd rank it as an all-time classic but I definitely enjoyed it a whole heckuva lot.

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,571 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. Patton

Around 15 or 20, maybe more, for second and third place depending on the mood i'm in. A number of which were already mentioned.

Sometimes I've even got a soft spot for musicals such as Sound of Music, My Fair Lady, and Music Man.

@Justacommeman said:
    @1951WheatiesPremium I have True Romance in my Top 10. The scene with Walken and Hopper is pure magic. My last bullmastiff was named Alabama after Patrica Arquette's character. The scene with Gary Oldman and Christian Slater is off the charts as well. Add Brad Pitt, Sam Jackson, Michael Rapaport, Val Kilmer, Chris etc etc etc

By the way, how about the pre-fame showdown between Patricia Arquette and a then ‘nobody’ James Gandolfini. First time you get to see the psychotic grin that made Tony Soprano America’s favorite gangster...

...or Brad Pitt as ever present on the couch Floyd...

...or the conversations between Bronson Pinchot and Saul Rubinek to set up the ‘meeting’...

...Tarantino did a better job of veering into the ridiculous without itself becoming ridiculous as he fails to do with his more recent films. It maintains plausibility throughout despite the absurdity of it in total.

Such a great confluence of sharp acting, great story telling and wonderful film making.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

1. It’s a Wonderful Life - Initially a box office bomb, this one is often forgotten when it comes time to make these types of lists. Often imitated yet never duplicated, I don’t think there’s a man or woman out there who can watch this movie and not ‘feel’ it. Jimmy Stewart’s performance as George Bailey might be the greatest and most relatable human character ever created in print or on film. The highs and lows, trials and tribulations and the interconnected nature of mankind and our remarkable capacity for goodness, charity, understanding and forgiveness all with a perfect blend of free will and predestination by Providence.

2. True Romance - Considering my other two choices, you might be scratching your head here (or wondering if I have been hit on mine) but please hear me out. One of the earliest and best written tales from the mind of Quentin Tarantino, it follows the unlikely love story between Clarence and Alabama as they head west with ill gotten gains after some questionable decisions. Spectacular action, smart dialogue and perhaps the greatest ensemble of actors - playing roles great and small - ever assembled for one film in the entire history of Hollywood. Now, tell me...am I lying?

Stanley Kubrick was once asked, (paraphrase) what's make a good movie? He replied, three good scenes, no bad scenes.

Casablanca and It's a Wonderful Life is nothing but good scenes. :)

@Justacommeman said:

By the way, how about the pre-fame showdown between Patricia Arquette and a then ‘nobody’ James Gandolfini. First time you get to see the psychotic grin that made Tony Soprano America’s favorite gangster...

...or Brad Pitt as ever present on the couch Floyd...

...or the conversations between Bronson Pinchot and Saul Rubinek to set up the ‘meeting’...

Such a great confluence of sharp acting, great story telling and wonderful film making.

Amen brother. I’m looking forward to the Manson movie

m

The Sound of Music is fantastic.

Christopher Plummer is so great in that movie.

• dagingerbeastttdagingerbeasttt Posts: 784 ✭✭✭✭

The green mile
    Jurassic park*( childhood fav.)
    Goodfellas

• hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1970s said:

1. Brian's Song

Excellent pick!

Get it,Pic?

Nevermind….

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Sound of Music is fantastic.

Christopher Plummer is so great in that movie.

Oliver is the choice Musical wise.

• dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,102 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:

Pulp Fiction
    Fight Club

Casablanca
    Citizen Kane
    The Godfather

I agree that there are certain movies that I will watch over and over again, but they aren't "best" in any sense other than that I like to watch them the most.

My nominees for the three best movies ever:

The Godfather
    The Godfather II
    One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.

@dallasactuary said:

@Justacommeman said:

Pulp Fiction
    Fight Club

Casablanca
    Citizen Kane
    The Godfather

I agree that there are certain movies that I will watch over and over again, but they aren't "best" in any sense other than that I like to watch them the most.

The Godfather
    The Godfather II

Solid

m

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Searchers
    Casablanca
    All of the Bogie movies.

@dallasactuary said:

@Justacommeman said:

Pulp Fiction
    Fight Club

Casablanca
    Citizen Kane
    The Godfather

The Godfather
    The Godfather II

That last one is the reason Robert Parish is nicknamed Chief.

Ken Kesey’s book was better: Randall Patrick McMurphy is an iconoclast icon...

That last one is the reason Robert Parish is nicknamed Chief.

I didn't know that. It's always hard to apportion credit among actors, writers and directors, but every single performance in Cuckoo's Nest - from Academy Award winners like Nicholson down through unknowns (at the time) like Christopher Lloyd, Danny Devito, Will Sampson (Chief), Brad Dourif, etc. was just perfect. Same for the Godfather films. Also true for Dog Day Afternoon, but I wasn't going to list three Pacino/Cazale movies as my top 3.

One that should be mentioned.

Giant.

The scene where Rock Hudson and his crew (bankers and buddies) offer Jett a couple thousand dollars
    to sell the ground Hudson's sister left him is one of my favorite movie scenes ever. Pure classic.
    The way James Dean played that scene is what acting is all about.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.

Yea, it's interesting that at least to me, sometimes "watchability and "greatness" don't always equate.

For example Citizen Kane. It's always up there at the top or near the top of the greatest movies ever made lists. I watched it once, and I can understand the interesting cinematography, etc. But sorry, i just didn't give a chit about William Randolph Hearst, and I don't plan on ever watching that movie again.

James Dean only made 3 movies, but they were all very good.

edited March 18, 2019 6:22PM

Rosebud. His sled was named rosebud.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21

@Darin said:

Classic trivia question.

@Darin said:

That was an interesting scene how even as older adults, and on our deathbeds, we basically relate back to our childhoods.

Of course none of us here would ever do that with Lincoln cents or baseball cards. ;)

@Darin said:

Giant.

The scene where Rock Hudson and his crew (bankers and buddies) offer Jett a couple thousand dollars
    to sell the ground Hudson's sister left him is one of my favorite movie scenes ever. Pure classic.

Funny you mention this, I literally saw this for the first time last week. It was a decent movie, I enjoyed it BUT I don’t feel that it’s an all time great, I decided to watch this after scrolling On Demand for the umpteenth time. Dean in the sceen you mentioned was definitely a great part and I totally get the part but Dean almost mumbles to the point he is hard to understand.

Anatomy of a murder is a nice little yarn if your up for a another Jimmy Stewart movie

edited March 18, 2019 6:38PM

I have to mention- 'Once upon a time in the west'

Directed by Sergio Leone.
    In the opening scene Henry Fonda and his crew of outlaws guns down a perfectly
    innocent family, little kids and all.
    Before filming started, Fonda asked Leone if he could wear brown contacts to look more the
    part of a bad guy. Leone said no, when the audience sees the closeup of you after that slaughter,
    I want those baby blue eyes to stand out. More of a shock to the audience, Leone felt.

Brilliant movie but if you're impatient and want scenes to play out quickly, not for you.LOL.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21

@perkdog said:

@Darin said:

Giant.

Funny you mention this, I literally saw this for the first time last week. It was a decent movie, I enjoyed it BUT I don’t feel that it’s an all time great, I decided to watch this after scrolling On Demand for the umpteenth time. Dean in the sceen you mentioned was definitely a great part and I totally get the part but Dean almost mumbles to the point he is hard to understand.

When Dean hits oil on his little piece of ground, that's going to be me selling Mahomes rookie cards in a few
    years. LOL. I'm a rich un now, Bick!

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21

@stevek said:
    Yea, it's interesting that at least to me, sometimes "watchability and "greatness" don't always equate.

For example Citizen Kane. It's always up there at the top or near the top of the greatest movies ever made lists. I watched it once, and I can understand the interesting cinematography, etc. But sorry, i just didn't give a chit about William Randolph Hearst, and I don't plan on ever watching that movie again.

I feel the same way about Citizen Kane. I think what makes (made?) Citizen Kane great was a bunch of director/cinematography/technical stuff that I understand was groundbreaking. The problem, for me, is that by the time I saw it a thousand other directors had copied those same innovations. I still thought Citizen Kane was good, and I don't think very many old movies are even good (it wasn't until Brando, I think, that everyone stopped overacting), but I've never felt the urge to watch it a second time.

• KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Shawshank
    Green mile
    Braveheart

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

@DIMEMAN said:
    Searchers
    Casablanca
    Saturday Night Fever

Bee Gees freak

m

@Justacommeman said:

@DIMEMAN said:
    Searchers
    Casablanca
    Saturday Night Fever

Bee Gees freak

m

Not sportsman like to alter a quote Mark. ;)

@Justacommeman said:

@DIMEMAN said:
    Searchers
    Casablanca
    Saturday Night Fever

Bee Gees freak

m

I recall in the movie Casablanca when the crowd at Rick's Cafe stood up against the Nazis and sang "Staying Alive" - it was quite a poignant moment in cinema history.

edited March 19, 2019 3:15AM

Citizen Kane has great film innovations, sure. But it’s perhaps also considered great because of how hard Hearst tried to stop its production and release. This is well chronicled in the HBO Original movie RKO 281 and delves into Hearst’s attempts to upend, delay and get the public to ignore the film.

The same William Randolf Hearst, who aboard his yacht accidentally murdered Thomas Ince, thinking he was Charlie Chaplin. Mr Chaplin was allegedly also sleeping with Marion Davies, Hearst’s mistress, at the time. Ready to bring this post full circle?

The film’s famous “Rosebud” motif is drawn from the real-life Hearst’s love for flowers. More sinister on the part of Orson Wells is that the term also is said to signify Hearst’s nickname for the genitalia of Marion Davies, his Hollywood mistress.

• jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭✭

For sure Shawshank, Green mile and Braveheart are up there.
    I Love most of the James Bond movies (roger Moore) such as Octopussy. Love most of the theme songs in them
    such as Rita Coolidge "all time high."
    How can you not watch Saving Private Ryan and not have an even greater appreciation of the "Greatest Generation."
    Add Gettysburg. History is not taught anymore and we are forgetting the sacrifices of those great people in the past.
    I love the modern military movies such as Hunt for Red October and The Final Countdown.
    3 Great comedies I loved also ….What's up Doc? and Airplane. Its a Mad....world was awesome.

My favorite movie all time is North to Alaska. John Wayne can actually be very funny.
    Josie Wales is up there as well.

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lonesome Dove.
    Shane.
    Dances with Wolves.

Citizen Kane has great film innovations, sure. But it’s perhaps also considered great because of how hard Hearst tried to stop its production and release. This is well chronicled in the HBO Original movie RKO 281 and delves into Hearst’s attempts to upend, delay and get the public to ignore the film.

The same William Randolf Hearst, who aboard his yacht accidentally murdered Thomas Ince, thinking he was Charlie Chaplin. Mr Chaplin was allegedly also sleeping with Marion Davies, Hearst’s mistress, at the time. Ready to bring this post full circle?

The film’s famous “Rosebud” motif is drawn from the real-life Hearst’s love for flowers. More sinister on the part of Orson Wells is that the term also is said to signify Hearst’s nickname for the genitalia of Marion Davies, his Hollywood mistress.

He sure did "wonders" for the upbringing of his granddaughter Patty Hearst who was "kidnapped" - yea, sure she was...and some dope winds up pardoning her as if she was innocent.

I never heard of that HBO movie - very interesting. Those sure were different times back then, when the newspapers had such enormous power. The media still does have enormous power though in a variety of different ways.

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,384 ✭✭✭✭✭

Saving Private Ryan
    Braveheart
    Earnest goes to camp

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭✭✭

i echo Pulp Fiction, One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest and Full Metal Jacket

Raging Bull also deserves a place in this thread

a couple of low budget Costner flicks you may not have ever heard of (but are definitely worth viewing) are Fandango and Revenge

my own personal fav that will never be supplanted is Dazed and Confused........and i've never even tried pot

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think you guys have nailed it. Here's three I haven't noticed mentioned:

Resident Evil (1st one)
    The Princess Bride
    Nacho Libre

@stevek said:

He sure did "wonders" for the upbringing of his granddaughter Patty Hearst who was "kidnapped" - yea, sure she was...and some dope winds up pardoning her as if she was innocent.

I never heard of that HBO movie - very interesting. Those sure were different times back then, when the newspapers had such enormous power. The media still does have enormous power though in a variety of different ways.

Between the radio inception of War of the Worlds and Citizen Kane, Orson Wells certainly has a career worth remembering.

@galaxy27

‘I keep gettin’ older, they stay the same age’

@thisistheshow said:
    I think you guys have nailed it. Here's three I haven't noticed mentioned:

Resident Evil (1st one)
    The Princess Bride
    Nacho Libre

‘You keep using that word! I do not think it means what you think it means.’

Fantastic!

The twilight zones were the best tv run of shows in my opinion