Home U.S. Coin Forum

OMG TROLLS - Where are all the new collectors?

HeatherBoydHeatherBoyd Posts: 406 admin
edited March 18, 2019 12:37PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Some of them are here, on this forum posting pictures of pocket change and asking if they have a mint error or DDO.

These posters could be young, old, foreign, inexperienced, or experienced in a different series and looking to branch out.

Posting pictures of a coin and asking if it is a variety, rare date, what have you, is not trolling. Yes, they could do their own research, many of them likely have and are still unsure or are looking for confirmation.

Some of these posts belong on the Q&A forum and we will make an effort to move them.

However, cyberbullying is not welcome here. This forum is a community and resource to all collectors of all ages and skill levels. If you find yourself becoming irritated with a certain poster's threads, please use the "Ignore" functionality in lieu of lashing out at them.

Heather Boyd
PCGS Senior Director of Marketing

Comments

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you @HeatherBoyd .... I hope this helps to calm the 'troubled waters' of late. ;) Cheers, RickO

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great reminder to all, thank you !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,618 ✭✭✭✭✭

Amen!

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Aspie_Rocco said:
    I would like to take this opportunity to apologize if anyone felt I was cyber bullying over the weekend. It is not and was not my intent to bully anyone. I attempted only to draw attention to some of the, what I determined, “trolling” activity of multiple threads created daily by the same users, on this forum and other non Pcgs forums.

I recognize this is not MY sandbox, I have no authority here, and it is not my responsibility to point out my opinions. I just care about this forum, the genuine collectors here, and having an enjoyable place to visit.
    When I see what I determine to be spam or abuse of the system, I cannot stifle the urge to draw attention to it. I would do the same if not more, of someone was littering in my yard or on my street.
    I <3 PCGS & CU

I will respect HB's wishes but at the same time I do believe there are occasionally trolls among us. That term does not apply to most new members or to even to most posters with what seem like repeated basic questions. But, they do exist - they know who they are, and we know who they are, and they know that we know who they are. ;)

I really hate having to use the "block" feature - I have only ever blocked one person and he was/is an alt of someone who caused enormous upheaval on this forum several months ago. I guess I will add a few more to the list to avoid being sucked into their exploitation of the good intentions of members who try to be helpful.

I used to encourage people to pop over to the Q&A Forum once in a while to lend their expertise since a lot great stuff appears there from time to time. But, if we can keep the PMD and DD threads over there then I'll just stay away for my own sanity. :*

@BryceM said:
    Great point Heather but some of them (NOT all of them!) are most certainly trolls. If not dealt with, a handful of these types can wreck a forum community.

1. There is an ignore button. If ignored, trolls will go away.
    2. Heather is on the job. Forum members need not try to "deal with" the trolls.

Just ignore them. If necessary, report them.

• zippyzipzippyzip Posts: 61 ✭✭

@MFeld said:
    Heather, please see what zippyzip accused me of ("attacking this member non-stop") and my reply in another thread:

@zippyzip said:

@MFeld said:
    Here is another picture of what might be the same coin, posted to another thread. The coin looks quite different from the pictures in this thread - neither polished nor gemmy.

Same coin? You must be kidding? Not sure what your agenda is here but you are also one who has been attacking this member non-stop.

I have no agenda and I believe I commented on two coins posted by the gentleman. One was the Trade dollar, which based on the other images posted, I stated that I didn’t think it looked at all original. The other was the GSA dollar, about which I opined I thought it would be unfair to the coin to grade it 65. My point was that I thought some posters were grading it too conservatively.

I did not attack the member at all and there was nothing resembling “non-stop” about my comments.

Again, an omission of facts. You failed to mention your 4 or 5 negative comments prior to this. You basically were saying it was impossible for the guys coin to be real. That is calling him a liar and that is bullying in my book.

• zippyzipzippyzip Posts: 61 ✭✭

@ChrisH821 said:
    Woah, hold it there buddy, I was fully supportive of Mr. PedroP, if you actually read some posts around here you'll see that I commented that his coins are very nice. I simply supported @jtlee when you made untrue statements. It was YOU who came around and disparaged the professionalism of @jtlee321. How are you even still a member here?

Incorrect. You posted some nonsense as fact from some website that apparently proves the coins are altered. (But failed to post all the disclaimers from the same site. Omission of facts/truth is lying.

@-stop” about my comments.

Again, an omission of facts. You failed to mention your 4 or 5 negative comments prior to this. You basically were saying it was impossible for the guys coin to be real. That is calling him a liar and that is bullying in my book.

No good can come from entering into this fray, but:

Offering the opinion that a coin is not real is NOT BULLYING. In fact, it is part of the corporate mission of our hosts. You don't start by grading a coin, you start by authenticating a coin.

[Now, if they were rude, condescending and insulting in the way they told him his coin was a fake, that could be bullying.]

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 11,921 ✭✭✭✭✭

@zippyzip said:

@MFeld said:
    Heather, please see what zippyzip accused me of ("attacking this member non-stop") and my reply in another thread:

@zippyzip said:

@MFeld said:
    Here is another picture of what might be the same coin, posted to another thread. The coin looks quite different from the pictures in this thread - neither polished nor gemmy.

Same coin? You must be kidding? Not sure what your agenda is here but you are also one who has been attacking this member non-stop.

I have no agenda and I believe I commented on two coins posted by the gentleman. One was the Trade dollar, which based on the other images posted, I stated that I didn’t think it looked at all original. The other was the GSA dollar, about which I opined I thought it would be unfair to the coin to grade it 65. My point was that I thought some posters were grading it too conservatively.

I did not attack the member at all and there was nothing resembling “non-stop” about my comments.

Any negative opinions I expressed were about one coin and they were based on the images presented, as well as how few gem PL examples of that date are thought or known to exist. I said nothing about it being impossible for the coin to be real and made no comment at all about the poster, himself. Additionally, I had positive comments about the only other coin of his about which I opined.

I will leave it to Heather, if she so desires, to decide which if us is being truthful and which of us has an agenda.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

@zippyzip said:

@ChrisH821 said:
    Woah, hold it there buddy, I was fully supportive of Mr. PedroP, if you actually read some posts around here you'll see that I commented that his coins are very nice. I simply supported @jtlee when you made untrue statements. It was YOU who came around and disparaged the professionalism of @jtlee321. How are you even still a member here?

Incorrect. You posted some nonsense as fact from some website that apparently proves the coins are altered. (But failed to post all the disclaimers from the same site. Omission of facts/truth is lying.

I posted the link to the tool, which has all of the information you are citing. If I have just posted the image captures THEN I would be omitting information. Also, my exact words were "But it looks like @jtlee321 is right", not "jtlee is absolutely correct"
    It's funny how you pop up every few months, start a whole load of drama, then disappear. If anyone is trying to bully, it's you by trying to drag contributing members here through the mud.
    I am done responding to your accusations. I am confident that Heather will see exactly your intentions here.

@PedroP
    Please keep posting your coin images, they are pleasing to look at. Especially that 1907 High Relief Saint, it is gorgeous!

Collector, occasional seller

• jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

The High Relief coin @PedroP posted intrigues me the most... I would love to see more pics or videos of it.

It would be better if we did not engage in this argument. This is almost exactly the same setup to the "Great Forum Purge of 2018". Sometimes it is better to just walk away and let the other person have the last word.

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@zippyzip said:
    Heather. They are bullying new member PedroP in his threads non-stop. Member posts coins and says please and thank you all the time, albeit in another language. @jtlee321 @ChrisH821 @Realone are the instigators.

Perhaps this calls for a "new badge." I have several names for it. It is only awarded to members who don't use the PM option. o:)

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would state this --- it is not so much that a newcomer asks a question, we all do that. what is most annoying is that they ask question after question after question, to the point where there may be 3-4-5 threads on page one asking about the same inane thing. this pushes other threads off the first page which is typically where most of us spend our time.

if these supposed newcomers would confine their questions to one thread it would be helpful. if they would realize that a question asked about a Lincoln Cent DD is pretty much the same as that question asked about a Jefferson Nickel DD it would be helpful. if they would follow some logical advice and buy some books and study like the rest of us perhaps they could give instead of just take.

• jtlee321jtlee321 Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you @HeatherBoyd. I have never had any intent nor do I feel that I have participated in "Cyber Bullying". I agree it is a problem and one that PCGS is very good at handling. I know that a certain member see's a couple of posts that I have made recently as cyber bullying, when in fact I was helping to clarify facts to other members. I'm sure if Heather reads my posts, she will agree that I was not bullying. If however she does feel that I came across as bullying, I ask her to please remove my posts. I only believe in trying to educate members here.

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said: "it is not so much that a newcomer asks a question, we all do that. what is most annoying is that they ask question after question after question, ...."

You've never had inquisitive kids. Why? Why? Why? Why? Because, ask your mother.

• CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,809 ✭✭✭✭✭

@HeatherBoyd . When selecting "Ask a Question" then "Select a Category" and if you select "US Coins" the questions could be routed to " Q & A" automatically. Or is that the same page just mixed together, that could actually be separated? There must be a way to categorize the calls to action to minimize the confusion or even separate into levels ie: beginners, mid-level, and professionals. Then there could be some real merit to post counts as only a member with say 5,000 posts could even log into pro.

• BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@zippyzip said:

@MFeld said:

@zippyzip said:

@MFeld said:

Any negative opinions I expressed were about one coin and they were based on the images presented, as well as how few gem PL examples of that date are thought or known to exist. I said nothing about it being impossible for the coin to be real and made no comment at all about the poster, himself. Additionally, I had positive comments about the only other coin of his about which I opined.

I will leave it to Heather, if she so desires, to decide which if us is being truthful and which of us has an agenda.

In a nutshell.........sometimes people just don't like to hear what other people have to say.....especially negative comments.

Some people............not all.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:
    It would be better if we did not engage in this argument. This is almost exactly the same setup to the "Great Forum Purge of 2018". Sometimes it is better to just walk away and let the other person have the last word.

You are correct, exactly the same, same player too. He even took a version of one of the members' icons from that event as his own. A victory trophy of sorts, I'm sure.

Collector, occasional seller

• 1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

Someone asking over and over and over and over "is this DD" is obviously not interested in learning anything themselves except the fact they get unsuspecting people to answer their questions over and over and over and over. At what point should we expect a little effort from them to pick up a book and drill this stuff in their head, even when many reference books and articles have been pointed out?

In the question and answer category there is one thread showing the same person with the same coins asking the same questions over and over on this site and another coin site. When pointed out, the poster replies "Nothing wrong with being a troll if I think i got something I'm going to post it just like everyone else does". Nothing about gee I'm going to go read that book or article.

It's like going to class and having someone screaming and disrupting the class and you have to try to ignore the elephant in the room - very annoying. And I have put them on ignore.

[https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1015629/1973-1-cent-is-this-a-mint-error#latest]

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting development!

• ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:
    Oh my, sometimes we get what we ask for. I'm asking to win the 500 million powerball drawing tonight!

I want to see some nice coin pics if you do. ;)

@keets said:
    1Mike1, you seem to "get it" the same way I do. what I don't understand is how we arrived at this "bullying" point where that is the word that pops up whenever someone's feelings get hurt. back in my day it took a fat lip.

Because IGNORE is an option. You don't have to like the posts or answer the posts or even want the posts on "your forum". But you can just ignore the poster and not comment. When people (not you) choose to answer sarcastically or make snide comments, it is unnecessary and could (if severe enough) amount to bullying. After all, the whole point of treating the poster badly is to try to get them to go away. Isn't that intentional intimidation aka bullying?

@1Mike1 said:
    Someone asking over and over and over and over "is this DD" is obviously not interested in learning anything themselves except the fact they get unsuspecting people to answer their questions over and over and over and over. At what point should we expect a little effort from them to pick up a book and drill this stuff in their head, even when many reference books and articles have been pointed out?

In the question and answer category there is one thread showing the same person with the same coins asking the same questions over and over on this site and another coin site. When pointed out, the poster replies "Nothing wrong with being a troll if I think i got something I'm going to post it just like everyone else does". Nothing about gee I'm going to go read that book or article.

It's like going to class and having someone screaming and disrupting the class and you have to try to ignore the elephant in the room - very annoying. And I have put them on ignore.

But who is the troll: the person who posts a coin and repeatedly says "is this a DD?" or the person who repeatedly yells at the person who posts the coin and tells them to read a book?

You can just ignore the posters. It is not like someone screaming and disrupting the class. It's like someone playing video games in class rather than take notes. They are only "noisy" if you allow yourself to be hypnotized by the game.

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Aspie_Rocco said:
    To my understanding, there is two agendas most "trolls" have.

Thanks @Aspie_Rocco I will be reading the links you provided.

@TwoSides2aCoin said:
    We need a cuddle and snuggle forum.

@Paradisefound Aloha!

@AlexinPA said:
    It's nothing that a Jack Daniels and club soda over ice won't cure.

Tempted after reading about what has happened on this hump-day.

• bobsrbobsr Posts: 392 ✭✭✭✭

Hats off to Heather and Brett.
    Bob Sr CEO Fieldtechs

• ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

PF <3 AR

• ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

Time for a puppy @1Mike1 and PEACE to ALL <3

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file