Home U.S. Coin Forum

Hola, Trade Dollarss

Gracias, hacen 1877-S prueba?

Comments

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it's not a polished example, it is certainly a beautiful dollar!

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PedroP said:
    Gracias, hacen 1877-S prueba?

1878-S

Coin Facts:

• illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Realone said:
    All I can say if it (the photo) looks too good to be true......then it is.

Or it's whizzed...

• zippyzipzippyzip Posts: 61 ✭✭

Lovely coin. Looks PL. Amazing how may are passing judgement out of jealousy.

@MFeld said:

@zippyzip said:

Or perfectly understandable caution.

Caution from what? Person does not appear to be asking anyone to buy it. If it does go on sale, perhaps Great Collections will be a bit more objective.

@illini420 said:

@Realone said:
    All I can say if it (the photo) looks too good to be true......then it is.

Or it's whizzed...

Time for you to go back to grading class if you think this is whizzed. PL coins DO look different than common junk and commems.

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 11,921 ✭✭✭✭✭

@zippyzip said:

@MFeld said:

@zippyzip said:

Or perfectly understandable caution.

Caution from what? Person does not appear to be asking anyone to buy it. If it does go on sale, perhaps Great Collections will be a bit more objective.

Caution in trying to assess the coin based on images provided.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s real....and it’s spectacular.

• FranklinHalfAddictFranklinHalfAddict Posts: 650 ✭✭✭✭✭

My first thought was that the coin is a fake. The lighting makes the surfaces look about as strange as possible. Based on the lighting, it looks polished.
    Looks like something I’d see GSC selling on eBay.

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,614 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks off somehow, but it could be the lighting.

• Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

This dude has a future in Trueview like images! I think that image looks awesome! I also want his green Redfield!

Maybe next time Mark is in Mexico, he can work out a deal for me! 😁 @Justacommeman

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm reserving judgment. Parts of the image look polished, parts look C/F, and parts look 100% genuine. Lighting does strange things to a coin. It can hide obvious characteristics that would determine authenticity or cleaning.

I suggest that the OP take another image with less glare - the obverse in the first image makes the coin look like a deep PL! I'll see if I can match the dies when I get to work.

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hmmm, well, if it's real, it's "spectacular" !!! :)

Timbuk3

@Timbuk3 said:
    Hmmm, well, if it's real, it's "spectacular" !!! :)

I think we'll see that the spectacular thing about that coin is the "glare from its surface."

• ChopmarkedTradesChopmarkedTrades Posts: 495 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 20, 2019 9:54AM

If it hasn't been messed with, then it's the nicest 78-S I've seen (/s). I'd like to see what a TrueView would look like.

Edit: Dang this thread got spicy.

• astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OriginalDan said:
    It’s real....and it’s spectacular.

Boutros Boutros-Ghali

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

I blew up the pictures and they are nice pictures. I don’t buy these type coins but seen a lot here. So far all of Pedro’s coins have been spectacular pictures. Interesting photo with the lighting. I wish I had enough knowledge to comment but up close looks impressive. Who took the picture?

• astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

The imaged coin has surfaces that look similar to the 'California Proof' Morgan dollars that surfaced a few decades ago. It would be interesting to see it in hand.

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

With nothing but the picture to go on... I would say it is an amazing coin.... Cheers, RickO

• AlexinPAAlexinPA Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

Another 'gem' from Pedro. Ahh.

• BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 18, 2019 6:57AM

Well, the surfaces of the fields are almost impossible to evaluate with this type of lighting. There are some pits on the left side of the obverse near the stars (and in other places) that make it look polished to me. There are some scattered hairlines which are most evident around the feet of the eagle where the angle of the lighting is a little softer. Certainly there are no areas of the fields or devices which demonstrate a pattern of typical luster. Without additional photos I'm voting no bueno. I'm very happy to be proven wrong though.

• lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

My initial thought was wow, super clean... quickly followed by "is it real"?... why hasn't this piece been submitted for grading?... what's going on with the mint mark?... and then a host of other questions.

I hope it is the real deal and the OP submits it to our hosts for authentication. Recently, I've been looking at a lot of TD's and coming to the realization that I have a difficult time with real vs well made Chinese fakes. I'll stick to slabbed material for this issue.

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.

@Realone said:

@AlexinPA said:
    Another 'gem' from Pedro. Ahh.

So who is Perdo, enquiring minds.......;)

This is his second post (1907 Oro).

• TradesWithChopsTradesWithChops Posts: 640 ✭✭✭✭

I'm always immediately skeptical of such photos. It reminds me of a certain ebayer who loves to hide problems by overexposing the coin to light.

That said, it could be a gem. I'd like to see better photos.

Minor Variety Trade dollar's with chop marks set:
    More Than It's Chopped Up To Be

@Realone said:
    btw this photo looks significantly better than everyone of my genuine and pcgs/ngc/anacs graded proof trade dollars and their grades range from ms60-ms65.

@Realone said:
    btw this photo looks significantly better than everyone of my genuine and pcgs/ngc/anacs graded proof trade dollars and their grades range from ms60-ms65.

Based on that, along with the odds of such a coin existing in gem PL and the known deficiencies in presenting accurate images of coins on line, the odds tell me there is only a tiny chance that the coin is in fact, a gem PL example. Is it possible? Yes, but extremely highly unlikely.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• PedroPPedroP Posts: 16 ✭✭

Gracias, mi nieto ayuda con la fotografía.

edited March 18, 2019 9:52AM

Yes. Nice............

Como es la pesca hoy

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gracias, mi nieto ayuda con la fotografía.

Translate...

Thank you, my grandson helps with photography.

• coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

El dólar comercial es auténtico pero no original. Se ha alterado

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

Still need better image! Use FLORESCENT light - the only light to use for authentication.

Coin is probably genuine, but looks polished. Note the smooth, rounded edges of the impact marks in the fields.

I'm sorry to say it does not look at all original to me.

• StrikeOutXXXStrikeOutXXX Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it's the same Trade Dollar as the one pictured in his other thread in a white holder with gold border, the lighting is much better there (4th post from top)

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1015991/1907-oro#latest

He said this was a family collection - and he/his grandson has taken some pictures of some nice coins, but I can't get a handle on them with the current lighting situation. ACG holders, a Redfield holder, high raw MS CC Morgans, and a Lincoln he showed are nice if legit. The edge on the '01 S Barber Half in the upper right looks strange, but again... lighting.

I think it's an inheritance that perhaps they are trying to get more information on, but I'm not sure.

With the ACG slab in there, the collection could have been built anywhere from 15-30 years ago?

------------------------------------------------------------

"You Suck Award" - February, 2015

Discoverer of 1919 Mercury Dime DDO - FS-101

I think that trade dollar looks sweet and fully PL. Everyone can't figure out the surface because it looks as smooth as a proof! He has a 65+ Redfield so the man is a Mexican hero in my book!

• ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

His coins are nice. I really like that 1907 HR in the ACG holder!

Collector, occasional seller

@MFeld said:
    I'm sorry to say it does not look at all original to me.

A case study on how NOT to drum up new consignors!

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the pics but im hesitant on the rest of it as well. just saying

@Insider2 said:
    Still need better image! Use FLORESCENT light - the only light to use for authentication.

Coin is probably genuine, but looks polished. Note the smooth, rounded edges of the impact marks in the fields.

Skippy, the only light you use. PCGS does not. Plain ole light bulbs!

• OwenSeymourOwenSeymour Posts: 365 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 18, 2019 4:53PM

That is severely polished and I'm amazed so few can tell

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file