Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1917 standing liberty type 1

Ok so I've had my heart broken already on here lol so I will ask everyone before I decide whether I should buy this one

Comments

• Options
    david3142david3142 Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t like the look of it but it depends how much it costs.

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice-EF/AU coin with significant abrasion along all the high points. You have to decide if the color and condition are to your liking and if the asking price is fair.

• Options
    SilverEagle420SilverEagle420 Posts: 255 ✭✭✭

I've never seen one where her head was so ful and actually had a nipple on her breast still, that's why I wanted your opinions, the guy wants 500 for it, it would have to be a 65 to make money on it,,, but I've seen some of theres at a 64 that looks worse than this

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

Surfaces are not original as it funky re-toned after having been lightly cleaned at some point.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options

damn People cleaning these coins is driving me up the wall lol

• Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

I feel we are being gamed again by the serial poster, but I'll bite. Yes, full nipple.

• Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pass!

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options

Are you referring to me being a serial poster??? Is posting pics and talking not what a forum is intended for??

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SilverEagle420 said:
    I've never seen one where her head was so ful and actually had a nipple on her breast still, that's why I wanted your opinions, the guy wants 500 for it, it would have to be a 65 to make money on it,,, but I've seen some of theres at a 64 that looks worse than this

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pass. I don’t care for the color. You can get these coins with mostly white surfaces that have not been dipped, and that’s the look many collectors prefer. Even if the coin has not been messed with, I don’t think that it is attractive.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SilverEagle420 said:
    Are you referring to me being a serial poster??? Is posting pics and talking not what a forum is intended for??

Not "a" serial poster. "THE" serial poster. So yes is the correct answer to both your questions.

• Options

Hmm strange how I have 40 posts to your 7000, I dont even see how this is at all relevant to the thread,, all you've come in with is a condescending attitude,, when everyone else here is being helpful

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,681 ✭✭✭✭✭

but I'll bite :D:D

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SilverEagle420 said:

I am not an expert on this series, so someone please correct me or confirm, but I think you are seeing the appearance of the nipple exaggerated by the pattern and location of the toning.

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭✭✭

Posting pix of your coins is ok, posting pix to determine if a coin you re considering for your collection is ok.posting to determine if you can profit from a coin is questionable.

• Options

I wasnt gonna buy it for profit smudge, I jus want a really nice one that not beat, I have post 17 when they put chainmail on her, I want a really nice 16 or 17, but everything I've been gettin according to this community has been cleaned, so I was trying to get some insight cause I apparently have a terrible eye for cleaning

• Options

By "make money" I meant after slab fees I would rather not lose lol sorry

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 14, 2019 12:12PM

@SilverEagle420 said:

Based on the opinions here, I would say buying this coin to slab'n'flip is not recommended.

If you want it for your collection, you probably could make a better choice according to what I see in the comments. I don't collect these.

• Options

I was trying to find a nice one I can slab cause the 500-1000 for a graded one, but most i find are pretty beat up, this one looked awesome but i have a bad eye lol

• Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

The guy is asking better than 64FH money for it and its not unc and might not even straight grade. I'd never go back to this shop again. You should be able to find a decent raw one for $200.

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had its sister in my first Dansco.
    Found out it was messed with.
    But the nipple was what sold me. :|
    And my coin buddy at the time.

• Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭

@david3142 said:

Said the dealer. A collector should never utter these words.

MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AMRC said:

@david3142 said:

Said the dealer. A collector should never utter these words.

What if they're only halfway up the ladder? ;)

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

$500 for that raw? NO WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

@clarkbar04 said:
    The guy is asking better than 64FH money for it and its not unc and might not even straight grade. I'd never go back to this shop again. You should be able to find a decent raw one for $200.

I agree thank you very much every one, I really love this design and I'm jus trying to get a feel for these and walking liberty,, I bought a really nice 41 walking liberty for 15 the other day and I would assume I did ok on that one hahhaha

• Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you want a slabbed coin for your collection, pay up a bit and buy one that is already slabbed... believe me, you'll be saving a bunch of money that way and be much happier with the coin you end up with.

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would pass for the same reasons already given.

You have to ask yourself why a $500 (ask) coin is not in a holder. My answer is that it won't holder at PCGS or NGC.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cameonut said:

You have to ask yourself why a $500 (ask) coin is not in a holder. My answer is that it won't holder at PCGS or NGC.

There are countless perfectly nice coins (including far more valuable ones), that for various reasons, aren’t in holders. There’s nothing wrong with asking “why?” but it can be a mistake to assume you know the answer.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Broadstruck said:
    Here's a 17-S AU58FH with a perkier nipple than any I've seen in even MS67FH holders.

The nipple actually touches the acrylic of the standard thickness PCGS slab,

Fantastic coin!

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    MartinMartin Posts: 834 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is the deal, on that coin. I wanted one also (17 slq T1) I kept my eye opened for one I liked seemed like years before I pulled the trigger. Only because I see one on GC or Herritage that I liked and forget to bid. Then one day a board member listed one on the the BST that I liked done deal nice coin fair price. My point is that coin is not hard to find they are for sale everyday buy one in plastic and don't worry about if it will grade or what it will grade. I guess what I'm saying is you can find a nice one at a fair price all day every day. If your not a pro don't gamble

Martin

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@Cameonut said:

There are countless perfectly nice coins (including far more valuable ones), that for various reasons, aren’t in holders. There’s nothing wrong with asking “why?” but it can be a mistake to assume you know the answer.

Good point Mark. I should not have assumed that the coin wouldn't holder, but nonetheless I would not pay $500 for that particular piece.

We all started as grading newbies at one time or another. Years ago, I had a rule that I would not buy a coin over $200 unless it was in a reputable holder. As we all learn (mostly from our mistakes), we get more confident buying raw coins. Best evaluated in hand, harder to pull the trigger from images alone without a return privilege.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cameonut said:

@MFeld said:

@Cameonut said:

Good point Mark. I should not have assumed that the coin wouldn't holder, but nonetheless I would not pay $500 for that particular piece.

We all started as grading newbies at one time or another. Years ago, I had a rule that I would not buy a coin over $200 unless it was in a reputable holder. As we all learn (mostly from our mistakes), we get more confident buying raw coins. Best evaluated in hand, harder to pull the trigger from images alone without a return privilege.

I wouldn’t buy it either. And it can be treacherous buying uncertified coins based just on images, no matter how proficient you are at grading.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

The detail on your coin is great! It is a well struck Full Head coin.

The SURFACE isn't so nice. You can buy raw. No problem. The nice stuff takes time and experience to sort out.

Your decision, really. You could really overpay for raw ungraded stuff. That's the only caution I am imparting here.

Keep asking questions. We won't bite.

But sometimes we snarl a little.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    CoinPhysicistCoinPhysicist Posts: 597 ✭✭✭✭

If you want a standing liberty quarter, you are prepared to drop $500 on one, and everything you suggest is responded to as cleaned, why don't you look at a slabbed one? You can get a killer AU58FH or nicer coin for less than $500.

Successful transactions with: wondercoin, Tetromibi, PerryHall, PlatinumDuck, JohnMaben/Pegasus Coin & Jewelry, CoinFlip, and coinlieutenant.

• Options

I honestly did start looking at slabbed variants,, that was one a friend of mine has and obviously thinks too highly of lol

• Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

With your track record on the raw stuff that you have shown here on the boards, have you thought about just buying one that was already graded? It might save you a headache or two by doing so. If you are trying to buy raw coins to get them graded and hope they are better than what you bought them as then you are traveling down the long dark road of remorse and sorrow.

Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Options

The first few I posted were mine, the last couple I was skeptical of so I wanted opinions and I have started lookin at slabs

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,876 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SilverEagle420 said:
    I was trying to find a nice one I can slab cause the 500-1000 for a graded one, but most i find are pretty beat up, this one looked awesome but i have a bad eye lol

You don't have a good enough eye to make this work. If you bought 10 coins hoping they would upgrade and be worth the slab fees, you are going to be wrong at least 9 times which means the 10th one would have to be a big win. And based on the two coins you posted here, you might well be wrong 10 of 10 times. The safe way would be to buy a nice one already slabbed.

• Options
    david3142david3142 Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭✭✭

You can definitely find a nice one for under $500. This one was under $500 (and it has a mintmark):

• Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you are seriously questioning whether or not the SLQ is worth purchasing, you may wish to stick with PCGS or NGC certified coins until you become more familiar with the series. The coin is the opposite of awesome.

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options

I appreciate all your guys' advice,, we will see when they come back I suppose and I like the coin, i guess when you're a collector it's in the eye of the beholder

• Options
    OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your coin looks like it was dusted with soot.......and the soot tends to accentuate the devices. Soot would probably blow away, but the dark AT effect does provide an antiqued effect much like is done on walls by interior designers.

No way this coin will ever grade. But might be worth owning for about $150.00.

OINK

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe that coin has been artificially darkened to hide wear and cleaning.... Pass on that one. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,254 ✭✭✭✭✭

OK, I like it. But, price dependent. For 100 maybe, 500, now that would require a psych consult....LOL

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

65 money for a 50-55 coin?? I don't think so. I wouldn't mind the old cleaning so much since the strike is pretty decent... but I'd prefer it to be "graded" $125...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options

I ended up with a 1943 walking liberty pcgs ms 65 for 75, from what I'm seeing uts worth about 85 so I think I did good, thanks for the help guys

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file