Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

SOME GOOD NEWS...IT JUST GOT MORE INTERESTING...THE REST OF THE STORY...

labloverlablover Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 19, 2019 8:23AM in PCGS Set Registry Forum

THIS MAY NOT END WELL...STORY TO COME, PERHAPS IN A FEW DAYS.
STAY TUNED. IN THE WORDS OF TRUMP: "Something Big Just Happened".

I so wish PCGS had the Proof-Like Designation. Here's my Pop 1 NGC MS67*PL 1947-S Roosie...

Graded by our host as MS67. Frankly, I think it's MS68.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Comments

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful Roosie!

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,061 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool!

• Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a beauty PL or not!!

• Options
    onlyroosiesonlyroosies Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭✭

I've seen that coin in hand. Its a beauty MS68 all day long

• Options

Thanks for the comments buddies. It will stay in the NGC holder since they designate the PL. But, he will be going back to see if we can get the elusive MS68*PL. I'll forward this thread to the graders so they can see what the Roosie Master (Onlyroosies) thinks of the coin.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
  • Options

stunner!

• Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,646 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great looking dime!

Me thinks it has 8 quality, so send that puppy back in.

Later, Paul.
  • Options

@Stooge said:
    Great looking dime!

Me thinks it has 8 quality, so send that puppy back in.

Planning to do so soon.

Thanks buddy's for the kind comments!!!

• Options
    AlexinPAAlexinPA Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

Outstanding and good luck on the 68*.

• Options
    Dan50Dan50 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭

Purdy!

Dan
  • Options

Ok, so now that PCGS is designating PL on coins, what is your opinion on the above coin NGC graded as 67*PL? Should I cross? Would it 68PL?

Opinions...

• Options

Crack it, Send it, 68PL

• Options

@onlyroosies said:
    Crack it, Send it, 68PL

Ok, so why crack? If it did not PL at PC then I'm out the coin in NGC. It's currently Pop 1/0 at NGC. Or, should I hold off assuming loads will go to PC for PL? Why give up a Pop 1?

Opinions?

• Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would not crack a pop 1!

• Options

The coin is a monster. If you believe in it take as long as it takes to slab it correctly. If you believe the coin is MS 68 then crack it and you will be rewarded....... eventually.

Jim. Send me the coin. I’ll work it for you. My treat, my cost. That’s the least I can do for you after you treated me to a Bottle of Opus 1. Hmmmmmm

• Options
    rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭

Send to Nick, if he upgrades you buy more Opus...I like this plan. 😉

"You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • Options

@onlyroosies said:
    The coin is a monster. If you believe in it take as long as it takes to slab it correctly. If you believe the coin is MS 68 then crack it and you will be rewarded....... eventually.

Jim. Send me the coin. I’ll work it for you. My treat, my cost. That’s the least I can do for you after you treated me to a Bottle of Opus 1. Hmmmmmm

@rainbowroosie said:
    Send to Nick, if he upgrades you buy more Opus...I like this plan. 😉

Hard to pass this offer up since I have another bottle of Opus in the wine fridge. Could be in the mail soon...

• Options
    ilikemonstersilikemonsters Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭

@onlyroosies said:

Jim, I cracked out your blue 47-S out of a PCGS 66FB holder because I believed from the start it was lock PCGS 67FB shot +. I was rewarded by cracking it out of the holder and submitting it raw when it came back 67+FB.

I'm a firm believer that if you believe in a coin, crack it out and get it into that holder.

PL at PCGS is a whole new thing. I have no clue what their standards are, or if the will be more lenient with PL coins.

When I offered you $500 Cash at FUN for the PL, I did not think it would 68, I just loved the look of the coin, and the fact that it is PL. I made a white 47-S in 67 PL, and really regretted selling it.

• Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hello all,
    on the chance you all call me nuts and skin me alive. (and lablover will probably try and shoot me)
    how can this coin get the grade it did, considering all the "cleaning"-scratches between the face and LIBERTY?
    It is a super coin at first sight.
    But then I saw the scratches and started to ask myself?????
    IMO (which does not count one iota) is this not what scratches look like?
    for luck of better knowledge, I sure hope these lines /scratches are die polishing lines??
    OR, are these "lines" in the slab??? If so, pop it as soon as possible and find a new home for it.
    I am sorry, I do not mean to create issues here... just do not understand.

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    PQueuePQueue Posts: 901 ✭✭✭

RE:
    how can this coin get the grade it did, considering all the "cleaning"-scratches between the face and LIBERTY?
    ... But then I saw the scratches and started to ask myself?????
    IMO ... is this not what scratches look like?
    .., I sure hope these lines /scratches are die polishing lines??
    OR, are these "lines" in the slab??? ... just do not understand.

Wow!

• Options

Those are not scratches. I have seen this coin in hand and there is no doubt in my mind that what you are
    looking at are die polish lines. The surfaces are PL and the coin is beautiful

Onlyroosies

• Options

@YQQ said:
    Hello all,
    on the chance you all call me nuts and skin me alive. (and lablover will probably try and shoot me)
    It is a super coin at first sight.
    But then I saw the scratches and started to ask myself?????
    IMO (which does not count one iota) is this not what scratches look like?
    for luck of better knowledge, I sure hope these lines /scratches are die polishing lines??
    OR, are these "lines" in the slab??? If so, pop it as soon as possible and find a new home for it.
    I am sorry, I do not mean to create issues here... just do not understand.

It's all good buddy. Nick's post above pretty much say's it all. Happy collecting...

Jim

• Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks Jim,
    am happy for you..wish I had a Canadian dime like this.. like a 1872 or 1875 or a 1858/ 1558.
    Maybe one day.. :p

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options

I think the coin is all there.
    I think some die polish marks can be beautiful if in the right places.
    I think that coin should be crossed.

Those are "My thinks" for the day.

Later, Paul.
  • Options

@YQQ When I saw this coin in-hand at Winter FUN, I offered Jim $500 for this coin. The only person who'll think im stupid, is @onlyroosies :p

• Options
    edited July 13, 2019 4:22PM

@ilikemonsters said:
    @YQQ When I saw this coin in-hand at Winter FUN, I offered Jim $500 for this coin. The only person who'll think im stupid, is @onlyroosies :p

Sitting here at the beach in Ponte Vedre Beach in Jacksonville, FL., home to Sawgrass Golf, and thinking just how low an offer it was. Oh well, the dog's are having a great time in the waves, and Suz is sunning the buns on the sand. Does it get any better?

Retirement can be really fun, on a budget. B)

Cheers all...

Jim

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any updates on this??

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:
    Any updates on this??

He's still in the NGC holder...

• Options

@lablover said:

@DIMEMAN said:
    Any updates on this??

WHY???

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    edited October 16, 2019 6:21PM

@Stooge said:

@lablover said:

@DIMEMAN said:
    Any updates on this??

WHY???

I see no rush to spend money on what is a no question PL coin. Guess I don't need PCGS to tell me what I already know.
    For those who'd like to see it in a PC holder, I'll accept grading fee donations. Just PM me for my PayPal address. :);)

• Options
    edited October 16, 2019 7:02PM

@lablover said:

@Stooge said:

@lablover said:

@DIMEMAN said:
    Any updates on this??

WHY???

I see no rush to spend money on what is a no question PL coin. Guess I don't need PCGS to tell me what I already know.
    For those who'd like to see it in a PC holder, I'll accept grading fee donations. Just PM me for my PayPal address. :);)

I’ll pay the grading fee to cross it, but only if you allow me to submit it under my account.

• Options

Save your money to buy wine at FUN. :*

"You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
  • Options
    edited October 22, 2019 2:06PM

@ilikemonsters said:

@lablover said:

@Stooge said:

@lablover said:

@DIMEMAN said:
    Any updates on this??

WHY???

I’ll pay the grading fee to cross it, but only if you allow me to submit it under my account.

@rainbowroosie said:
    Save your money to buy wine at FUN. :*

Oh my, decisions, decisions. :)

• Options

Check the revised Headline...

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,730 ✭✭✭✭✭

It went into a PCGS MS66 holder?

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    cointimecointime Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can't wait to hear - I don't think PL is just being handed by out by PCGS so if it get it - we'll know it's a Monster ;) I'm Cheering for you, Here's Luck!!!

Ken

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 28, 2019 5:13PM

Soooo, now it's dropped 2 points to a 66 without the PL designation and no star....

All I can say is 'OUCH!!! That's GOT to sting!!!"

Did you cross or crack?

My guess is the former. :/

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options

Nope, same numeric grade, but no PL and now no NGC star either when I looked it up.

• Options

@erwindoc said:
    Nope, same numeric grade, but no PL and now no NGC star either when I looked it up.

The image and Cert # is when PCGS first graded the coin. The coin currently resides in a NGC MS67*PL holder.
    There is more to come in a few days. As Paul Harvey once said: "Now, the rest of the story".

• Options

I feel your pain Jim. This is worse than what anybody has discribed above.

• Options

@onlyroosies said:
    I feel your pain Jim. This is worse than what anybody has discribed above.

Does this mean "Details" grading?

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 28, 2019 6:55PM

@lablover said:

@erwindoc said:

The image and Cert # is when PCGS first graded the coin. The coin currently resides in a NGC MS67*PL holder.
    There is more to come in a few days. As Paul Harvey once said: "Now, the rest of the story".

Pheww...That's a relief. I hope that you left well enough alone.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options

@erwindoc said:

Worse than this

• Options

Come on Jim,(Paul Harvey), fill us in!

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,760 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Walkerfan said:

@lablover said:

@erwindoc said:

Pheww...That's a relief. I hope that you left well enough alone.

If I'm reading between the lines correctly it was not left alone, but perhaps I'm reading too much into it.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options

@lablover said:

@erwindoc said:

What's the word Jim?

• Options
    MattTheRileyMattTheRiley Posts: 806 ✭✭✭✭

@onlyroosies said:

@erwindoc said:

Worse than this

What could be worse? Like they dipped it?

• Options

Hopefully, come early next week we'll be in the position to tell "The Rest of the Story". It's a really crazy adventure, thus far.

• Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭

man I'm really pulled in and wanting to know the whole story now

Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options

Tell us space aliens lasered the postal truck carrying your coins...boom...explosion like Independence Day...so traumatic you had to consume a whole bottle of Opus to settle your nerves... B)