Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Your Rules: What Makes You Say No to a Coin In Your Series?

philographerphilographer Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

In a Saint, I just can NOT buy when the bridge of Liberty’s nose is bashed and flattened. Or if she has a bruised forehead, or an eye is askew from a bag mark, or the lips are mussed into a jack-o-lantern smile. Just can’t get over the damage to that very small portion of the coin, regardless of grade (see it in 64 often enough).

Also not a fan of $10 Indians with a knife mark through the cheek; it seems this variety is available all the time!

What are the things you can’t get over that are absolute no-no’s to you when buying a coin?

He who knows he has enough is rich.

Comments

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

@arco nailed it.

If you need a specific example I can’t tolerate a nasty cheek on a Peace dollar.

• Options
    Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

SPOTS. No Dalmatians, sorry

@Mdcoincollector2003 said:
    If the price is more than I can afford.

That, circulation, ugly or unattractive tone, spots, or cleaning.

• Options
    CCGGGCCGGG Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 20, 2019 7:24PM

Regardless of the series, I don't like AU or MS coins that are scratched or toned. I can live with a few minor scratches/marks if they aren't in the main fields. Same with toning or as I say, environmentally damaged. I can "live with" some minor toning on the edges but anything beyond that is quickly rejected. I have a few with some edge toning but I'm always looking for replacements.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,485 ✭✭✭✭✭

Too many bag marks will turn me off to just about anything from the half cent to the larger gold coins. Big rim problems drive me away too in addition to eye catching spots and marks.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

A boring design.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dark spots kill gem barb dimes to me.

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 20, 2019 7:51PM

Fingerprints, rim bumps, lack of luster from over dipping, too much chatter in the right facing obverse field and toning that is too dark.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    scodalscodal Posts: 78 ✭✭✭

For Barber dimes, even if they pass preliminary muster (right grade range, decent strike, not bright white, no flattened wheat!) Liberty has to look... happy.

Maybe I've just been staring at too many, but there really is a wide range of facial expression. Liberty can have a happy, proud or even resolute look to her. But she can also look downtrodden, dejected, or even mildly irritated (to say nothing of the occasional 'street fighter' look). Those don't make the cut, even if they have everything else going for them.

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

ugly toning; any damage; cleaning.

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭✭✭

Blast white VF's, blotchy mottled toning, nicely colored toners with dull to no luster patches or areas.

That all being said, if a dealer is all mean or bitter, or peddles loud, unsolicited nonsense conspiracy theories at me, I walk. Doesn't matter if they have the coin that fits my series criteria.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,518 ✭✭✭✭✭

looks, price attitude of the vendor so on and on

• Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cleaning!!!

thefinn
  • Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any PCGS coin in which the holder is cracked, chipped or the hologram is damaged. I will pass on it every time.

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    AotearoaAotearoa Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭✭✭

As a DBLC collector of modest means, I can't be too picky when it comes to blemishes and imperfections. I cannot, however, abide by rim damage. As mentioned on another thread recently, I use the old car analogy: I expect an older car to have a few scratches, some mottled paint and perhaps even a fleck of rust. That's OK. What's not OK is a dented fender. That's the rim damage...

Smitten with DBLCs.

• Options

@WAYNEAS said:
    Any PCGS coin in which the holder is cracked, chipped or the hologram is damaged. I will pass on it every time.

Really? It isn’t that difficult to reslab a coin. Maybe you don’t collect coins that are hard to find?

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,816 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do not like fly specs or carbon spots. Those two things kill it every time.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options

@BryceM said:

@WAYNEAS said:

Really? It isn’t that difficult to reslab a coin. Maybe you don’t collect coins that are hard to find?

Look at the picture next to my name for an example for a hard to find coin. There is only 5 in the world in that grade with only 1 graded higher at ms64.
    Check out my registry sets (10) under Kennedy half dollars. The cost to me to have a coin "re-slabbed" would require the cost of joining PCGS, the cost to re-slab and shipping to and from. Not worth it to me. Please tell me how an internal hologram gets damaged as I would really like an honest answer to how this can happen.
    Best of luck in your collecting - Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it is not original, no matter its grade.

• Options
    edited February 21, 2019 4:42PM

@WAYNEAS

There are plenty of ways to get a coin re-slabbed that don't involve joining Collectors Club or paying for shipping. Members here submit coins all the time and many people (possibly including dealers in your area) would be happy to let you piggyback on one of their submissions. If you're lucky enough to live near a show with on-site grading you can drop it off in person. There are also fairly simple ways to repair scuffs and gouges. Cracks, chips, and damaged holograms are tougher and will most likely require re-holdering.

The holograms I've seen on PCGS slabs are usually applied to the outside of the slab and they get damaged easily enough. It's a shame to see what some slabs go through on their way to an eventual buyer. It's a rough world, and if auction houses and dealers treated raw coins like they do slabs, no nice coins would have survived to the present time.

I do pay attention to the condition of the slab, especially where tampering might have occurred, but I'd never let a little thing like a broken corner or a chip keep me away from a coin that is otherwise perfect for my collection. Some people specialize in low-value coins almost exclusively and for them, the cost of re-holdering would obviously be more than the value of the coin itself. I was just unclear about your reasoning.

I can't tell exactly what the coin in your avatar is but I would love to see your Kennedy sets. Do you have a link?

• Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 21, 2019 9:50PM

Take note of the missing ear detail as well where the flat cheek is rectangled. :)

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

Collecting buffs I have to make some concessions on certain (looking at you, denver) dates and mints, but a weak strike on a date and mint which typically comes well struck. So, in other words below average strike.

I am down to 2 dates in my toned date run. I saw a 1921 with great color but a terrible strike and I couldn't buy it, even though the price was OK.

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options
    TradesWithChopsTradesWithChops Posts: 640 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 21, 2019 6:14PM

Nothing.

I go for the best coin I can get in a slot. I'd rather have a slot filled with a disgusting, cleaned, spotty coin - than have it empty.

e.g.: It's not as nice as my 63's and 64's, but it's the only one that I've had the opportunity to obtain.

This is a 77-s rpd with chopmarks. I'd love to upgrade it, when/if the opportunity arises.

Minor Variety Trade dollar's with chop marks set:
    More Than It's Chopped Up To Be

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

I draw the line at corrosion.

I can live with many other things. In some of my core collections, I like to have both top pops and unusual looking specimens.

• Options
    COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Monster" toning.

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• Options
    scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rim dings, early die states are two things I try to avoid.

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,769 ✭✭✭✭✭

@leothelyon nice writeup on the striking issues for the Jefferson Nickels, I have been looking for a nice '40-S and have seen many of that date/mm with excessive die erosion on the rev.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

I, too don't like weakly struck Buffs.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

It has to be all there for the grade and aesthetically pleasing. Real pleasing. Really really pleasing. Otherwise pass.

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 22, 2019 5:30AM

The only true hard and fast rule I have is that I refuse to pay more for a coin than I did for my house (and I have a cheap house). This is why I have a couple of holes in my half dollar year set.

Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:
    If it is not original, no matter its grade.

Yep ... an exception being the unicoin ... a coin in my series so rare it's appearance is like a unicorn. Example ... R6 Capped Bust half in my meager price range.

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,604 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinbuf said:
    Carbon spots and fingerprints, hate them both.

Stole my thunder ;)

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

artificial or condition rarity is a turn off

• Options

"What makes you say no to a coin in your series?"

I'm surprised no one has cited a lack of a CAC sticker or PCGS certification. :D

• Options
    edited February 22, 2019 6:27AM
    1. I also hate scratches. I don't care how much it has "toned over." It is still an eye sore, and my eyes focus on it every time I view a scratched coin.
    2. Dipped circulated coins are also a major turn off for me.
    3. Friction on so called mint state coins is aggravating.
  • Options

@BryceM said:
    @WAYNEAS

There are plenty of ways to get a coin re-slabbed that don't involve joining Collectors Club or paying for shipping. Members here submit coins all the time and many people (possibly including dealers in your area) would be happy to let you piggyback on one of their submissions. If you're lucky enough to live near a show with on-site grading you can drop it off in person. There are also fairly simple ways to repair scuffs and gouges. Cracks, chips, and damaged holograms are tougher and will most likely require re-holdering.

The holograms I've seen on PCGS slabs are usually applied to the outside of the slab and they get damaged easily enough. It's a shame to see what some slabs go through on their way to an eventual buyer. It's a rough world, and if auction houses and dealers treated raw coins like they do slabs, no nice coins would have survived to the present time.

I do pay attention to the condition of the slab, especially where tampering might have occurred, but I'd never let a little thing like a broken corner or a chip keep me away from a coin that is otherwise perfect for my collection. Some people specialize in low-value coins almost exclusively and for them, the cost of re-holdering would obviously be more than the value of the coin itself. I was just unclear about your reasoning.

I can't tell exactly what the coin in your avatar is but I would love to see your Kennedy sets. Do you have a link?

First let me thank you for your information on how to get a coin re-slabbed. I was not aware of the options that you listed. I am not near any major shows that PCGS attends.
    I live in the Boston, Ma area and have no local dealers to aid me that I have found yet. Most of the local dealers here are, as I say, Mom and Pop shops that do not deal with PCGS and re-submissions. I know that there are some quality dealers around here and in time, I will find one. I deal almost exclusively with auction houses. I do not like paying above a coin's worth but have many times on ones that I feel would make a perfect fit in my collection(s). It is always nice to win a coin below market value. A goal for most of us I would think. I am not a dealer, only a collector. I have given coins away but have never traded or sold them. Here is a link to my best Kennedy set:

www.pcgs.com/setregistry/alltimeset/146564

I would cut and paste the link if it does not show up as a direct link. When this set comes up, you should be able to see my other sets.
    Please let me know that this link worked for you. All my sets have the "digital albums" and are "public" for viewing. I believe you might have to sign into PCGS.
    The coin in my picture is a Kennedy 1972 d FS-901 that does not have the "FG" on the reverse, in a grade of MS63. If you can find one of these coins, buy it. They are that difficult to obtain. The information that PCGS supplies on these sets is archaic and out of date as 7 sets are 100% complete.
    Again the best to your endeavors of finding that "special" coin.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

since I collect a lot of Exonumia I tend to shy away from medals, etc. that are holed, even the ones listed as "Holed as issued" which really makes me nuts. i also don't like really noticeable field marks.

• Options
    batumibatumi Posts: 797 ✭✭✭✭

I pass on weakly struck Walkers and Morgan or Peace dollars. spots on copper, ugly toning on anything-I am not a perfectionist, nor can I afford to be. Eye-appeal is important to me, regardless of the grade on the holders. If the coin is one I want-or 'need' and can be had for a fair pice, I buy. If not, I will pass.

• Options
    edited February 22, 2019 11:04AM

@WAYNEAS

Cool set! Thanks for sharing. I lived in Worcester for 4 years but was out of collecting at the time. I spent quite a bit of time working in Boston. What a great city. As for dealers near Boston, JJ Teaparty, John Agre (Coin Rartities Online) and Liz Coggan (formerly with JJ Teaparty) come to mind. I know there’s many others within a reasonable distance.

• Options

Did you access the other sets and digital albums? Please feel free to leave a comment on the registry set page. What state do you live in now? I will check out the dealers you have listed.
    Again, thanks!

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

Marks that look like an "X" whether intentional or not. I just asked for a return for this very reason for a coin with two unintentional "X" marks.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lots of good points here. I hate dull luster on a MS coin.
    I had a 1921 Peace dollar offered to me for $1200 PCGS MS65 and still passed because the eye appeal was severely lacking.

• Options
    ike126ike126 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭✭✭

The biggest one for me lately is on dmpls how theyll have a great obverse clean and haze free then flip the coin over and see a fingerprint or a carbon spot on the breast.

• Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with much of what has been mentioned. Who decided over-dipping circs was "market acceptable"? I can see lots of cleaned slabbed coins from 5 feet away at shows, I won't even look at those unless they are R.5's.

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any piece of silver with toning on it. Makes me want to puke. God bless the Weimans.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file