Home U.S. Coin Forum

A nice looking 1861 $20 gold AND and 1861 for the fans of "crusty."

BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 21, 2019 5:30AM in U.S. Coin Forum

There is a lot of talk about "crusty gold" here, but frankly I'm not a fan. If the piece is VF or EF, that's part of the territory, but if you looking at Choice AU or better, it really should have an Mint State look to please me.

Here is an 1861 double eagle I bought raw years ago. It's now an NGC AU-58. This is the look that pleases me. The 1861 double eagle is a common date because the Union was looking to pay for the war with hard money in the beginning.

Here is an 1860 for the "crusty fans." Some of the toning marks on this piece don't show in photograph. The grade on this piece is AU-55, CAC. My grade is AU-50, but buying this was a matter of the right price and availability for an exhimbit I'm thinking about starting.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

Comments

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file