Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I am finding it progressively more difficult to find things I'm willing to buy.

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are you???

Al H.

Comments

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 17, 2019 8:01AM

Is it an issue with finding anything at all or finding something at a price you are willing to buy?

I’ve been buying a lot lately and am actively trying to slow down. I picked up my second Seated Dollar yesterday but was okay being the underbidder on a R9 Civil War Token and a R8 So-Called Dollar, bidding substantially more than the 3rd bidder in both cases.

In general I’ve been picking up more exonumia and have started to branch out with my first two Colonials after years of looking at them.

Stack’s has some nice exonumia coming up. The Bolen baseball tokens are doing well.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is that due to prices, quality, availability, reduced interest on your part, a combination of some of those ?

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    edited February 17, 2019 8:03AM

@ms70 said:
    I'm down to the most expensive pieces in my series so I'm basically limited by cost.

I keep up the pace by starting new series but I can understand the attraction of focus.

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 17, 2019 8:18AM

@Zoins said:

@ms70 said:
    I'm down to the most expensive pieces in my series so I'm basically limited by cost.

I keep up the pace by starting new series but I can understand the attraction of focus.

I actually tried that but quickly lost interest. Now I'm going to sell those pieces.... On a brighter note I have picked up a few upgrades to my main set which was fulfilling.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    JimWJimW Posts: 543 ✭✭✭✭

I always have found it difficult.
    First, you have to find the coin that has enough appeal (however you define it) in the approximate grade you are looking for.
    Then it has to be priced fairly (again however you define it).
    Further, if it is an auction coin, then you have to be the high bidder - which can easily conflict with your fair price criteria.
    If you don't win, start over again...

Successful BST Transactions: erwindoc, VTchaser, moursund, robkool, RelicKING, Herb_T, Meltdown

• Options
    TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,743 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm having the same issues. I see less and less nice quality coins that fit my collecting interests in the price range I want to pay. I've only bought a couple coins during the past 2 years.

Trade $'s
  • Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have been introduced to several series of coins I have not been fully aware of from threads on this forum. Opening my eyes to new interests to follow and start collecting has been one of the best features of this group. Yes, I have gone through periods of minimal activity and focused interest. There is always something new I learn from posts that can cause a new hunt to begin. All thanks to the knowledgeable and sharing community here on this forum.

• Options
    WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve been here many times.

When date and mint collecting early date gem Lincoln’s I was down to the last few pieces to show up to market. I sat poised not buying much so I could pounce if something in my grade point showed up. That got boring but I was committed to completing a goal. I don’t buy those anymore because I have them already and the prices have climbed to a level I can’t stomach anymore.

I eventually got interested in other arenas and typically have a lot of fun learning a new series, what’s avail and how does it come, meeting the dealers and collectors of the series, reading books and basically getting up to speed on the subject. At some point I start feeling like “been there done that” and when that settles in I try to learn a new series or coin interest and start over.

Looking back, I like having built coin knowledge a magnitude larger than when I started. It takes time and the nudge of boredom or a lack of buying appetite a key signal that it’s time to try something new with coins.

Then there is another angle, am I trying hard enough to find what it is I’m interested in? I’m working harder than ever rooting up things I’m into in places I never bothered to look before, like over seas dealers and auction companies, writing letters to dealers with photos of type coins like a wanted poster, I’ve even sent reminders to favorite dealers in the form of messages taped to Starbucks gift cards so I’m top of mind when something good comes up they will hopefully call me. A lot of times this extra effort pays off. Of coarse I check my list of dealer websites and searches every morning, but when that gets dry, I either bail on the series or try harder than just waiting.

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are so many aspects in life I emphasized and most of them calls for funding. :)
    Coin collecting is expensive in so many ways ...... time, focus and discipline.

I can easily see how a seasoned collector as @keets and others who are at the top of the curve and has to compete with those strong handlers. This could be very frustrating no matter how much the hunt is allotted for.

• Options
    CCGGGCCGGG Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 17, 2019 8:57AM

Much harder in just the past 5 years to find higher quality coins, IMO. I still find a few from time to time. But it's become a real treasure hunt.

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Search Lafayette Dollars anywhere.

ugh.

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

I did not buy a coin yesterday, first time in a long time :)

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can always finds coins I like, but I try to stay on focus.

• Options

I almost added this to my reply above
    "the definition of bored is expecting some one else to entertain you" but didn't. (I got a hint I should so I did ;) ) Ever since I saw that somewhere a long time ago I have not been bored.

The down times with coin collecting aren't really being bored but can feel indistinguishable. Ever feel that way? A trip to this here forum land can inspire and excite and sometimes infuriate. Never boring.

• Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

I find it much easier to buy when e bay has their e bucks promos.

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinpalice said:
    I find it much easier to buy when e bay has their e bucks promos.

I use to think that way, but now I always max out my ebucks a month early.

Knowing that I will max out my ebucks every quarter really helps me to determine buy prices and not factor in the ebuck promos as much. I do target the 10% promos on $1000 BIN's.

• Options

I don't receive ebucks or I'd do the same as @coinpalice & @ErrorsOnCoins
    Not even sure how I'd get them 'cuz I don't sell on ebay.

• Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,954 ✭✭✭✭✭

With more information at our finger tip, prices, auction results, market info, show reports, grading tips and seminars...Etc.. I am getting picky about what I want to buy. So yes I am buying less. Also my eye for quality is better than it used to be. So I pass on coins I would have bought 5 years ago..

• Options
    SoldiSoldi Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 17, 2019 11:33AM

@keets said:
    Are you???

Al H.

There is not all that much out there that is really nice at the levels. Then , there are many coins that are too high in value whether or not they are nice.

I've even drifted into buying some >gasp< foreign coins, noble metals of course, but still it's fun.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 17, 2019 12:43PM

It’s been hard to find anything for me in U.S. area for three years or so. Part of the reason is that the items on my want list are scarce. Another aspect is that dealers don’t seem to have inventory that they once had. The offerings at the shows have become more or less ordinary. Good things are in the auctions, but bids and the higher buyers’ fee have boosted the prices.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do not have a problem finding things I like to buy, not at all. I have a passion for variety coins, which is a massive area to focus on. I collect Nickels, Half dollars, and type sets. The only limit on my interests is financial. I now have 10 years or more of serious collecting behind me, and I hope at least another 30 years of active buying before me.

@Kudbegud said:

Do you buy on eBay?

If so, there is a setting, or a box to click, in your contact preferences or somewhere, and there is a sign up section.
    http://my.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?RewardsExtEnroll
    If you allow them to spam you with advertisements, and sign up for ebucks, you will also get the offers as a buyer or seller.

These promotions have a psychology angle to stimulate spending and eBay commerce. It is effective. Anyone else remember when we got 10% on every purchase, no promotion required? That was sweet.

I am curious if having a lengthy wish/watch list helps the frequency of offers or not.

• Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

I see a lot of coins I like. I do not see any coins that would not result in an instant 20-40% loss right after purchasing. I guess I just don't like coins that much to just burn my hard earned money.

I want to support myself and my family, not provide rent money to a coin broker.

• Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:
    Is it an issue with finding anything at all or finding something at a price you are willing to buy?

I’ve been buying a lot lately and am actively trying to slow down. I picked up my second Seated Dollar yesterday but was okay being the underbidder on a R9 Civil War Token and a R8 So-Called Dollar, bidding substantially more than the 3rd bidder in both cases.

Ahhh hahhhh So your the one! Just kidding but their starting on the 2019 king of the coin table on ideas for this year’s 2019!design. :o:o Got any?

• Options
    oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would guess that collectors are reluctant to sell their better coins at current price levels, even though they may want to in order to start new areas of collecting. I know this has slowed me down. I've grown tired of some series and would like to turn them over for some new challenges, but don't want to take the beating, which I expect I will have to keep repeating in the future as my interests continue to change. I can afford the beating and love the hobby (60+ years now) but am beginning to feel a little foolish.

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

In general, yes, but every once in awhile, some really good, fresh material surfaces.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ms70 said:

Yep...Only 5 coins left and they are all mid to high 5 figures.
    It's much less exciting saving money than spending it.

Upgrading is kinda ho-hum on account of liking what I have.
    Coming here takes my mind off of my slowing growing next coin fund.

• Options

@Aspie_Rocco said:

@Kudbegud said:

Do you buy on eBay?

If so, there is a setting, or a box to click, in your contact preferences or somewhere, and there is a sign up section.
    http://my.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?RewardsExtEnroll
    If you allow them to spam you with advertisements, and sign up for ebucks, you will also get the offers as a buyer or seller.

These promotions have a psychology angle to stimulate spending and eBay commerce. It is effective. Anyone else remember when we got 10% on every purchase, no promotion required? That was sweet.

I am curious if having a lengthy wish/watch list helps the frequency of offers or not.

Thanks @Aspie_Rocco. I'm going to check it out right now. And yes, I buy on Ebay. Sometimes too much. ;)

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,258 ✭✭✭✭✭

Finding pieces in the wild? Almost impossible unless you are cherry picking an estate.
    Finding pieces to upgrade my set? Yes, but at unreasonably high prices.

That about sums it up for me.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    savitalesavitale Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭✭✭

This must be true of everyone who collects by series. As time goes by one obviously has fewer holes to fill in a given series, and probably they have already completed the series they are most interested in.

Now for those who buy "a little bit of everything" I can't imagine there being nothing interesting out there to buy (unless you are DL Hansen).

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have found that since I have collected many different coins/series over the years, as well as the occasional coins that catch my attention, that @keets premise is accurate in my case. While I still check for certain coins, and look at others, either quality or pricing does not meet my expectations. Perhaps I am a tad jaded.... but also, quality is often hyped and prices do not reflect a down market. Nonetheless, I enjoy my coins and also seeing the acquisitions of others that post here. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    kruegerkrueger Posts: 807 ✭✭✭

A famous dealer once said ( his name lost to me)

You must come to grips with the new price realities..

Another said add a zero to everything nice every 10 year for so.

In early 80's paid $25 to $50 for nice unc/bu philippine pesos now same coins $200.-$500.

• Options
    edited February 18, 2019 2:27PM

@krueger said:
    A famous dealer once said ( his name lost to me)

You must come to grips with the new price realities..

Another said add a zero to everything nice every 10 year for so.

In early 80's paid $25 to $50 for nice unc/bu philippine pesos now same coins $200.-$500.

But, in many cases, people are talking about declining prices....

• Options

around 1965 when I first started to collect a friend had paid around $70 for a BU 1950-D Jefferson Nickel. that same coin can be bought for under $20 today.

• Options
    edited February 18, 2019 7:13PM

@keets said:
    around 1965 when I first started to collect a friend had paid around $70 for a BU 1950-D Jefferson Nickel. that same coin can be bought for under $20 today.

I heard gold double eagles were around $70 in the 1960s as well. Imagine two collectors....

• Options
    mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd agree ... I think it's probably about one part what's available, one part the prices, and three parts my own heightened pickiness. I basically buy one really nice (for me) coin a year ... after looking at thousands ...

mirabela
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 18, 2019 7:42PM

@Zoins said:

@keets said:

I heard gold double eagles were around $70 in the 1960s as well. Imagine two collectors....

They were advertised in the trade publications for $49.95. Of course what you got for that price was something that had a lot marks. Full strapping retail for today’s MS-63, 64 coins was $75 for common dates.

The highest retail price I could remember for BU 1950-D nickels was $35. of course I did not follow them all the time because they were not my thing.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,831 ✭✭✭✭✭

I want patience... and I want it NOW!

Seriously though, I think at one point or another every serious collector goes through these sorts of doldrums. I guess it also hits the rarefied air at the top of the coin collecting food chain too!

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 18, 2019 9:48PM

Yes, but it is more the result of my declining interest and the realization that most "collectible" U.S. coins are truly common and subject to further price declines. I also have tired of the plastic and sticker game. It has reached a point of insanity. Then there is grade inflation. Then there is coin doctoring. Then there are disappearing guarantees that are amended (sometimes retroactively) into oblivion. Then there is increasing inflation versus a stronger performing equities market. I buy for an occasional flip, but even that is becoming less frequent. I'm ready to quit and come back in 10-15 years when the dust settles.

• Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:

I got one with full steps for a 'bargain' $22.50.

Know what you mean. I am looking for three coins. They're rare and expensive. Haven't bought anything in nearly 3 years.
    Before the last Long Beach show, I went through my coins and submitted four for upgrades. Three got a +. Back to CAC. Will go through my coins & do likewise before the next Long Beach Show.

Have been spending my money on other projects. New foundation for the house. A once in a lifetime vacation. Etc.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options

I'm ready to quit and come back in 10-15 years when the dust settles.

judging only on the last 10-15 years, if you do that you may not recognize things at all when you return.

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Soldi said:

I've even drifted into buying some >gasp< foreign coins, noble metals of course, but still it's fun.

The appeal is real. Come to the Dark side.

• Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:
    I'm ready to quit and come back in 10-15 years when the dust settles.

judging only on the last 10-15 years, if you do that you may not recognize things at all when you return.

Al,

I did that awhile back. Been playing catch-up ever since.

• Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yup.

A toxic mix of overpriced, gradeflated and AT'ed coins in slabs that are CAC'ed has pretty much killed my interest in buying new material.

I've already got a LOT of raw coins in the series that interest me, and have no interest in buying any more.

I could see getting some old or foreign gold, but realistically if I'm gonna' spend that sort of money I'd rather spend it on other non-numismatic collecting areas.

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you can't find what you like at your price, you will probably have to raise your bids...

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

@logger7 said:
    If you can't find what you like at your price, you will probably have to raise your bids...

..….or look for something else to buy.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file