Home U.S. Coin Forum

2019 American Legion 100th Anniversary Commemorative (19C[J-R]) (Officially off-sale...)

Comments

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,448 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Goldminers said:

@jmlanzaf said:
    Actually, they should just have banks buy the cents back at 60 to 75 cents per roll if they want them back in circulation. It would be cheaper for the government to acquire them that way than Mint new ones.

That is an interesting concept, but a little tough logistically. I just went through my big cans of change, pulled out the pre-1982's and 2009 Lincolns, and turned in about 5,000 cents to the bank along with a bunch of other modern clad.

The bank has a free machine just like Coinstar, so it is really easy to just dump them in and so no need to fill rolls and sign them like I used to have to do.

I don't think it's that tough. Didn't we do that in the late 70s or was that a local issue in my region?

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mint flyer received.

Prices:

Gold: Market (range table)

Silver Proof: $54.95/59.95
    Silver Unc: $51.95/56.95

Clad Proof: $27.95/32.95
    Clad Unc: $25.95/30.95

Intro prices end 15 Apr 19 @ 3pm ET.

@BackroadJunkie

• BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hemispherical said:
    Mint flyer received.

Prices:

Gold: Market (range table)

Silver Proof: $54.95/59.95
    Silver Unc: $51.95/56.95

Clad Proof: $27.95/32.95
    Clad Unc: $25.95/30.95

Intro prices end 15 Apr 19 @ 3pm ET.

@BackroadJunkie

Did you happen to look at the OP? (It was updated at 1am this morning...) :smile:

@BackroadJunkie said:

Did you happen to look at the OP? (It was updated at 1am this morning...) :smile:

Hmm... no. LOL! :D

You are on it! :)

edited March 11, 2019 12:55PM

Some limits are posted. Quick summary:

-Gold: Mintage Limit: 50,000 (across all product options)
    Product Limit: None
    Household Order Limit: 1

-Silver: No limits

-Clad: No limits

-3-Coin Set: PL: 7,500; HHL: 1
    https://catalog.usmint.gov/american-legion-100th-anniversary-2019-three-coin-proof-set-19CR.html?cgid=commemoratives#start=1

-Set w/Veterans Medal: ?

Edit, 8 Mar: Added info for gold.

• GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

3 coin proof set low product limit, but other limits appear are high with same 3 proof coins.

Item Number: 19CR
    Mintage Limit: 50,000 gold, 400,000 silver, 750,000 clad
    Product Limit: 7,500

@Goldminers said:
    3 coin proof set low product limit, but other limits appear are high with same 3 proof coins.

Item Number: 19CR
    Mintage Limit: 50,000 gold, 400,000 silver, 750,000 clad
    Product Limit: 7,500

Agree. All one needs is the box, medal case, and COA to make your own set.

From the Mint:
    Coming Later This Year - Silver Keepsakes To Cherish

A limited edition American Legion Proof Silver Dollar and American Veterans Silver Medal Set will be available later this year. The set features a 99.9% silver medal that will only be available in this set. Mintage is limited to 10,000 units! Be among the first to own these silver treasures.

With only 10,000 total mintage and .999 I suspect this will be a popular one,... if the price is right. Plus I wonder what it looks like?

This is the 50th version from an outside mint. It even has edge lettering numbered and stating .999 fine silver. It is also curved both sides out convex, so it weighs more than one ounce (1.26), but is about the normal diameter.

@Goldminers Now that is a nice design!

Below is the designs CCAC and CFA recommended to Sec of Treasury. No idea if approved.

https://www.numismaticnews.net/article/designs-selected-for-veterans-medal

These were all the designs originally submitted.
    https://www.usmint.gov/news/ccac-meetings/american-veterans-medal

@Hemispherical said:

Well I was not impressed with their recommendation to Mnuchin, and was not too impressed with the other choices until the last page. Then I liked all 8 on that page. I like the flying flag over the folded flag because that is what they brought in unfolded, and then they carefully folded to give to my mom when my dad passed away (Korean War) and he is resting now in the Washington State Veteran's Cemetery. The one with three soldiers is great, as are some of the eagles.

Why did they recommend such plain designs compared to the other options. I wonder how many of the people choosing the designs were actually Veterans? Maybe they were, but they just don't have an eye for art of engraving.

@Goldminers said:

@Hemispherical said:

Well I was not impressed with their recommendation to Mnuchin, and was not too impressed with the other choices until the last page. Then I liked all 8 on that page. I like the flying flag over the folded flag because that is what they brought in unfolded, and then they carefully folded to give to my mom when my dad passed away (Korean War) and he is resting now in the Washington State Veteran's Cemetery. The one with three soldiers is great, as are some of the eagles.

Why did they recommend such plain designs compared to the other options. I wonder how many of the people choosing the designs were actually Veterans? Maybe they were, but they just don't have an eye for art of engraving.

Did a bit digging. These are the minutes to the CCAC and CFA meeting about the Veterans medal. Kind of gives you an idea of what they were thinking when they made their selections.

This is the complete 2018 minutes, the Veterans Medal is the last meeting on 14 Nov 18. There is an audio recording if you just want to listen.
    https://www.ccac.gov/calendar/notices.html

This is the 15 Nov 18 CFA meeting, a long list, the last item is about the medal (scroll all the way down).
    https://www.cfa.gov/records-research/record-cfa-actions/2018/11/cfa-meeting

@Hemispherical said:

Did a bit digging. These are the minutes to the CCAC and CFA meeting about the Veterans medal. Kind of gives you an idea of what they were thinking when they made their selections.

That sure took a while to go through then I got to page 36 where one of the members voting stated:

"I discarded designs that focus too much on the memorial aspect of military honor, not every service member dies in service or is wounded. Not every member is even eligible for traditional heroism honors. I discarded designs that depended too much on trite or overused symbolism, so eagles, swords, shields, laurels -- I don’t think these are automatic disqualifications but I think if the design depends too much on these elements, I tended to lean away from them."

They did not want the "warlike" depictions of soldiers, or any images of people, because they needed to be sure all kinds of people, races, and gender neutrality are shown in the image, so they decided it was best not to show anyone, to be sure no one was offended. So they picked a bunch of stars and after 106 pages of reading their discussions, I am demoralized.

The audio I only skipped through for about a half hour and couldn't take it anymore.

I will not buy this medal if it is basically stars. Now I also know how and why the clad 50 cent American Legion design was selected and I will stick only with the gold and silver coins to honor the Legion and honor Veterans in my own way.

• cursivecursive Posts: 15 ✭✭

The hobby needs to pay far more attention to CCAC and CFA meetings. Believe it or not, those two committees are the most transparent mechanisms that shape American coin design, and probably the places where hobbyist voices can have the most influence.

In support of the American Legion I will be getting at least the gold and silver............. and some clads... maybe use them as challenge coins with other members.

I would get a clad also, if it was silver on one side and gold on the other.

@Goldminers said:
    I would get a clad also, if it was silver on one side and gold on the other.

Well there is gold colored paint. ;)

• ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm in...
    One Unc Dollar,
    Two Unc Half, (one for the album Grommet),
    One proof half.

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck

The Mint has declared in the Federal Register that they'll be publishing the PM schedule today or tomorrow.

@BackroadJunkie said:
    The Mint has declared in the Federal Register that they'll be publishing the PM schedule today or tomorrow.

Hope the new schedule is not too drastic of a change.

It looks like Legion golds have HHL of 1, but other coins no HHL.

edited March 11, 2019 12:58PM

@Hemispherical said:

@BackroadJunkie said:

Hope the new schedule is not too drastic of a change.

It looks like the only change to the schedule is the addition of the 3-coin proof set for this issue. Otherwise all pricing seems to be the same...

My guess is the price of the set will be $489.25, minus the discount, so $484.25, IF gold spot remains where it is. (Is the discount $5 or $15 for the three coin set? I think it's only $5.)

Edit to add: The sample the Mint sent out was for the wrong price range, thus the guess. It's based on the price of the gold proof...

• batumibatumi Posts: 810 ✭✭✭✭

@Goldminers said:

@Hemispherical said:

That sure took a while to go through then I got to page 36 where one of the members voting stated:

"I discarded designs that focus too much on the memorial aspect of military honor, not every service member dies in service or is wounded. Not every member is even eligible for traditional heroism honors. I discarded designs that depended too much on trite or overused symbolism, so eagles, swords, shields, laurels -- I don’t think these are automatic disqualifications but I think if the design depends too much on these elements, I tended to lean away from them."

They did not want the "warlike" depictions of soldiers, or any images of people, because they needed to be sure all kinds of people, races, and gender neutrality are shown in the image, so they decided it was best not to show anyone, to be sure no one was offended. So they picked a bunch of stars and after 106 pages of reading their discussions, I am demoralized.

The audio I only skipped through for about a half hour and couldn't take it anymore.

I will not buy this medal if it is basically stars. Now I also know how and why the clad 50 cent American Legion design was selected and I will stick only with the gold and silver coins to honor the Legion and honor Veterans in my own way.

Goldminers: The PC culture that infects the country has all but destoyed the modern commerative market with crappy politically correct designs mixed in with a big heaping of political fubar. The mint needs to get the politicians out of the way except maybe for a yea or nay if a commerative is even to be issued. Unshackle the many great artists that have an interest in designing these, and let the market dictate the correct direction. It worked so well in 1907 and 1916 with circulating coinage! and people like Teddy Rooselvelt in charge when confronted with the issue of striking difficulties on the hi-relief twenty, told the mint that he didn't care if it took all day to produce a single coin, just get it done!

• GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Goldminers said:

Do you think they will be lifted the next day?

@Gluggo said:
    @Goldminers said:

Do you think they will be lifted the next day?

No idea, but 50,000 mintage combined is still a lot for modern commemorative gold, so I doubt they will actually sell out, so why not lift the HHL limits?

edited March 11, 2019 11:59PM

Gold pricing. Prices include introductory pricing:

Avg SpotProofUncirc3-Coin Set
    $1200-$1249$406.50$396.50$472.00
    $1250-$1299$418.75$408.75$484.25current price range
    $1300-$1349$431.00$421.00$496.50

Thanks @BackroadJunkie need that to figure out my projected total expenditures. ;):)

• NPD1078NPD1078 Posts: 110 ✭✭

I don't think they will come close to a sellout for the gold American Legion. The Apollo 11 gold was much more anticipated and I think that took a couple of days to sell out if I recall correctly.

BackroadJunkie do you recall is the pricing from that chart from the beginning of the week or on the day of release?

NPD1078

I have completed positive sales and purchses from the following members:
    jclovescoins, dpoole, dmarks, guysmiling, Ducky1100 , piecesofme, ericj96 ,Classof67, ModernCoin, MrOrganic, 53BKid, nychad10, GUINZO1975, derryb (3 times), PinkFloyd

@NPD1078 said:
    I don't think they will come close to a sellout for the gold American Legion. The Apollo 11 gold was much more anticipated and I think that took a couple of days to sell out if I recall correctly.

BackroadJunkie do you recall is the pricing from that chart from the beginning of the week or on the day of release?

Gold Apollo’s still in backorder status to 11 Jun.

@NPD1078 said:

Are you asking when does the pricing go into effect?

It's based on the average of gold spot from Wednesday (London) close to Wednesday close. Thus, about Noon on Wednesday (Eastern Time).

Approximately 1.5 days boys and girls! :#

edited March 13, 2019 9:49AM
    edited March 13, 2019 5:25AM

Oops - Thanks for the catch @Sweetpie, hopefully posted in the correct Apollo forum. Need more NOS.

This is what I meant to post here.

NGC Label Options for 2019 American Legion Commemorative Coins
    Posted on 3/11/2019

NGC label options for 2019 American Legion commemorative coins. Special submission instructions must be followed. See the "Submission Instructions" section of this article. https://www.ngccoin.com/news/article/7246/

• SweetpieSweetpie Posts: 466 ✭✭✭

@Hemispherical said:
    This is interesting. Apollo coins into space!

Sam Scimemi, Director for the @Space_Station at @NASA Headquarters, stopped by the ASF Office on 2/18 to pick up 2 U.S. Mint Apollo 11 50th Anniversary Commemorative Clad Coins. The coins will be traveling to the ISS in the near future!

Wow! but wrong forum...lol

edited March 13, 2019 12:54PM

Less expensive to buy the 3-coin set for $489.25 if gold spot under 1300.00. and... if gold spot is 1300.00 and over than the 3-coin is $501.50.

Prices do not reflect a discount for the set. Do not know if it will be $5 or $15. Will update later. Prices for the separate coins include $5 discount.

Separate:

Gold (estimate if spot under $1300.00): $418.75
    Silver: $54.95
    Clad: $27.95
    = $501.65

Gold (estimate if spot $1300.00 and over): $431.00
    Silver: $54.95
    Clad: $27.95
    = $513.90

So buying a set will have a reduced cost of $12.40 versus buying each coin separate. When the set discount is applied then this number will change.

Then turn around and buy separate if more is needed. Hmm... maybe this is how to get around the HHL for gold.

https://catalog.usmint.gov/on/demandware.static/-/Sites-USM-Library/default/dw62595b15/images/PDFs/2019-Pricing-Grid-Numismatic-Gold-and-Platinum-Palladium.pdf

Enjoy!

Edit to fix typos.

Edit see post below for gold prices: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/comment/12266367/#Comment_12266367

• KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

Alarm clock set. PM up across the board. Gold a little over $1,300. We will know the prices in a couple hours. @Hemispherical calculations are a helpful predictor.

I have tomorrow off, so I will be ready at 11am CST.

Hey, lets see who can get the first, or lowest order number... :#

.> @ECHOES said:

My order number will be 0, does that count?

@Goldminers said:
    .> @ECHOES said:

My order number will be 0, does that count?

No. :#

edited March 13, 2019 11:21PM

@ECHOES said:

My lowest order number from the mint is 278642xx. (No USM or USS prefix.) It's from January 2008. :D Amazed my order history goes back that far. (Ordered the Bald Eagle commems. :smile: ) My first order from the Mint was sometime in the 1990's...

Anyway, good luck to y'all today. (Though you're not gonna need any luck for this one.)

Mint not dislaying discount for the set. Might need to call; but usually not that productive with PFSWeb unless you can get elevated past the initial call taker. ;)

One hour to go....

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,448 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ECHOES said:
    One hour to go....

yawn...

:smile:

Just as a point of reference, my half-set order this morning (7:31am) was USM065447xx.

I can't imagine that many order between then an Noon...

@BackroadJunkie said:
    Just as a point of reference, my half-set order this morning (7:31am) was USM065447xx.

I can't imagine that many order between then an Noon...

Cool, lets see who has the lowest order number.

edited March 14, 2019 9:18AM

USM065453XX

Edit to add:
    1 Unc Dollar,
    2 Unc Half Dollar,
    1 Prf Half Dollar

:#

Order Confirmed...

• KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 14, 2019 9:09AM

USM065455xx For the Proof 3 coin set
    USM065465xx For the 3 Unc coins

Stupid me. I was so intent on hitting refresh I neglected to sign in. HaHaHa

edited March 14, 2019 9:24AM

USM065452nn @ 1101

3-coin set
    Silver PF
    Clad PF

Think there will be plenty of the silver and clad if I need more later.

Planning on getting the Silver PF/Vet Medal set when it comes out later, to give as gifts.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file