Comments

• Options
    GazesGazes Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Gazes said:

@Gazes said:

@BillJones said:

@Gazes said:

@BillJones said:
    Too many collectors are concerned with whether or not a coin has this sticker. Some will not purchase a coin for their collection if it doesn't have one. I have yet to understand why the opinion of one man is so important to so many people,

I can give you my answer why it is important:

1) his opinion (and the sticker) represents the opinon of one of the best graders in the world that the coin is solid or strong for the grade (and therefore you are not buying a coin at the bottom of the grade)--that counts for something
    2) his opinion represents that the coins has not been doctored--a huge factor
    3) it is now a fact that in the large majority of cases a CAC coin (and his opinion) increases the value of the coin
    4) his opinion makes the coin more liquid in that there are more buyers and also he makes a market in coins with the CAC sticker
    5) his opinion is a ratification of the TPG's opinion---in other words, more reassurance especially on a big investment.

Your points about the higher prices and liquidity are valid because that is a reflection of the market.

I have not found your points numbers one and two to be true in all cases.

No one is right in "all" cases. i do think CAC gets it right a large majority of times (just take a look at 20 st gaudens with half CAC and half not at the same grade). Your final line of defense when buying a coin that is PCGS and CAC is to confirm with your own eyes.

I will add one more reason why CAC's opinion is important to me. Consistency. I see so many threads discuss the lack of consistency in numismatics over the years (i.e gradeflation, changing grading standards, etc.). If you follow the CAC census, there is a remarkable amount of consistency. Take for example a 1912-S nickel. The TPG pop for this coin in MS-66 has exploded (and the prices have decreased). However, the CAC stickered pop for this coin is only 3. It was 2 for quite a while and third was recently stickered. Regardless CAC's standards seem consistent and in this case while overall population exploded, CAC stuck to its standards. Many other dates are very similar. WIth all the talk of gradeflation as an issue, I have not seen CAC change its standards over the year> @planetsteve said:

@Gazes said:

I will add one more reason why CAC's opinion is important to me. Consistency. I see so many threads discuss the lack of consistency in numismatics over the years (i.e gradeflation, changing grading standards, etc.). If you follow the CAC census, there is a remarkable amount of consistency. Take for example a 1912-S nickel. The TPG pop for this coin in MS-66 has exploded (and the prices have decreased). However, the CAC stickered pop for this coin is only 3. It was 2 for quite a while and third was recently stickered. Regardless CAC's standards seem consistent and in this case while overall population exploded, CAC stuck to its standards....

Wait -- wasn't the 1912-S 5c the coin at the center of that flap between some guys and PCGS a few years ago? There was this one grading company -- I want to forget which -- that attacked PCGS for supposed gradeflation, and brought up the census on that very coin as evidence. PCGS' response included the claim that, in fact, they recently received two rolls of these nickels, and that's why the population soared. So: isn't it likely that this cache of newly graded coins could have quickly found new homes without stopping at CAC?

My obligatory two zincolns: when I shop online and look at images of coins worth more than say $300-500, I usually note whether the sticker is there or not. If it isn't, no biggie, it just suggests that the imaged coin may be low-end for the grade. For the series I like and have spent time studying, I don't necessarily need the sticker; I've submitted some coins to CAC, and was rarely surprised by those that weren't approved (less than 10%, on about 50 coins). I also appreciated those learning experiences.

But when it comes to gold, where I'm just lucky to pick up an occasional type piece, I wouldn't buy an Unc coin if it doesn't have a sticker. I don't know much about gold-coin grading and alterations, and I don't think I should have to embark on a years-long learning curve -- with lots of coins bought and sold -- just to pick up a satisfactory type piece.

I think the gist of your post is accurate---a couple of rolls hit the market for grading. I can tell you that a CAC sticker on any 1912-S in 66 will double, triple or quadruple the price so I would be shocked if whoever owns those coins did not submit them

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:
    Too many collectors are concerned with whether or not a coin has this sticker. Some will not purchase a coin for their collection if it doesn't have one. I have yet to understand why the opinion of one man is so important to so many people,

@Gazes said:

@BillJones said:

I can give you my answer why it is important:

1) his opinion (and the sticker) represents the opinon of one of the best graders in the world that the coin is solid or strong for the grade (and therefore you are not buying a coin at the bottom of the grade)--that counts for something
    2) his opinion represents that the coins has not been doctored--a huge factor
    3) it is now a fact that in the large majority of cases a CAC coin (and his opinion) increases the value of the coin
    4) his opinion makes the coin more liquid in that there are more buyers and also he makes a market in coins with the CAC sticker
    5) his opinion is a ratification of the TPG's opinion---in other words, more reassurance especially on a big investment.

Thanks for your post, it saved me lots of time writing the same basic answer.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@topstuf said:
    To simplify the concept, let's just ask whether on any given coin you have, IF you want to sell that coin you would rather have a bean on it or not.

Fair?

sure but you are a dealer you sell coins to put food on the table. Collectors should not need to sell coins constantly and even if they do they are not getting retail . A collector could do just as well financially by not spending like a drunken sailor on the way in.

Dealers make money on the buy side , collectors lose money on the buy side and on the sell side. If CAC helps break even on the way out it might help but staying focused and not mindlessly churning through coins is more reliable.

Seriously if you buy some date mint mark and 6 months later you do it again its ok once in a while but if it happens consistently then you lack control over your impulses and you cost yourself 1000's over a life of collecting.

Train yourself to let a buy go un executed , note how it feels to do that then mark it on the calendar and don't be surprised if 2 weeks later you see the same or a better deal .

Get off the boom and bust treadmill

• Options
    CCGGGCCGGG Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 13, 2019 4:59PM

IMO it's clear that CAC adds strong value, just look at any coin show.

However, I don't believe most higher valued coins have been sent in to CAC for consideration yet. Example, I bought a $25k+ coin late last year that I thought was solid for the grade but it didn't have a CAC sticker. (The seller said he had not sent it in, o:) but who knows (it's a CAC secret) if someone else had sent it in or not) Anyway, before buying it, I was easily able to figure out that only about 5% of that particular series/date/grade (certified by NGC and PCGS) had been stickered by CAC. To me that means that either most haven't been sent in yet "or" that CAC thinks most are not strong for the grade.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,013 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:

Honestly, I prefer to buy CAC when I can't see the coin in hand. It's not that I think JA has a better eye than I do. It's just that I'm more confident of a coin with 2 opinions on it than one. AND, I also recognize the more definite market value of the CAC coin.

• Options

@asheland said:
    I like coins that are stickered obviously, but I certainly don't look down on a coin because it doesn't have a sticker.
    A lot of my coins are in old holders from old collections that I'm relatively certain have never been sent and I am fine with that. Not to say that I won't possibly send them in myself at some point, but the lack of a sticker doesn't deter me one bit in my decision to buy a coin.

This one doesn't have a sticker, does anyone think that wouldn't pass if sent?

MS64

I don't think that would CAC.

• Options

@bronco2078 said:

@topstuf said:
    To simplify the concept, let's just ask whether on any given coin you have, IF you want to sell that coin you would rather have a bean on it or not.

Fair?

sure but you are a dealer you sell coins to put food on the table. Collectors should not need to sell coins constantly and even if they do they are not getting retail . A collector could do just as well financially by not spending like a drunken sailor on the way in.

Dealers make money on the buy side , collectors lose money on the buy side and on the sell side. If CAC helps break even on the way out it might help but staying focused and not mindlessly churning through coins is more reliable.

Seriously if you buy some date mint mark and 6 months later you do it again its ok once in a while but if it happens consistently then you lack control over your impulses and you cost yourself 1000's over a life of collecting.

Train yourself to let a buy go un executed , note how it feels to do that then mark it on the calendar and don't be surprised if 2 weeks later you see the same or a better deal .

There is some truth here: churning through coins will cost you money. But, you are overlooking the obvious advantage of CAC to collectors who do churn. The clearer value of the CAC coin makes it much easier to sell at a higher percentage of retail. Obviously, you can overpay for any coin whether raw, slabbed or CAC'ed. You can also get a bargain on any coin. But there is a clear advantage in the WHOLESALE market for slab over raw and for CAC over slab over raw.

If you have a raw, common date Morgan in 63 or 64, you are going to get AU prices from any dealer who wants to eat. It is VERY hard to get retail 63 or 64 money for a raw coin. It is much easier for a dealer to get near Bluesheet on 63/64 slabs, so he will pay closer to Bluesheet. And, similarly for the CAC piece.

Now, obviously, if you buy $50 coins and under, slabbing them is stupid and CAC'ing them is doubly stupid because putting $50 in plastic around a $50 coin will only turn it into a $55 coin. But if you have the choice of a CAC, slabbed coin and the same coin raw, you can afford to pay a little more for the CAC'ed coin knowing you can sell it for more later.

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

This thread is still here?

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BlindedByEgo said:

@lava said:
    The CAC business seems short-sighted to me. While the man behind the business seemingly has few critics, he’s not going to live forever, so then what?

At some point, "original" CAC-stickered coins will be collected just for the sticker :)

Didn't the original original cac sticker take up the whole back hologram area of the slab? Or am I imagining reading that somethere?

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    planetsteveplanetsteve Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭✭

@ChrisH821 said:

@BlindedByEgo said:

@lava said:
    The CAC business seems short-sighted to me. While the man behind the business seemingly has few critics, he’s not going to live forever, so then what?

At some point, "original" CAC-stickered coins will be collected just for the sticker :)

Didn't the original original cac sticker take up the whole back hologram area of the slab? Or am I imagining reading that somethere?

No — always the green (or gold) bean.

• Options
    edited February 13, 2019 1:16PM

@jmlanzaf said:

@bronco2078 said:

@topstuf said:

Fair?

There is some truth here: churning through coins will cost you money. But, you are overlooking the obvious advantage of CAC to collectors who do churn. The clearer value of the CAC coin makes it much easier to sell at a higher percentage of retail. Obviously, you can overpay for any coin whether raw, slabbed or CAC'ed. You can also get a bargain on any coin. But there is a clear advantage in the WHOLESALE market for slab over raw and for CAC over slab over raw.

If you have a raw, common date Morgan in 63 or 64, you are going to get AU prices from any dealer who wants to eat. It is VERY hard to get retail 63 or 64 money for a raw coin. It is much easier for a dealer to get near Bluesheet on 63/64 slabs, so he will pay closer to Bluesheet. And, similarly for the CAC piece.

Now, obviously, if you buy $50 coins and under, slabbing them is stupid and CAC'ing them is doubly stupid because putting $50 in plastic around a $50 coin will only turn it into a $55 coin. But if you have the choice of a CAC, slabbed coin and the same coin raw, you can afford to pay a little more for the CAC'ed coin knowing you can sell it for more later.

If you have a choice of 2 things buy the one with the sticker if you want . I'm not arguing . I'm saying stop worrying about money on resale and learn to get the right coin in one try. This is where the money all goes.

Don't churn through stuff period , thats the mentality of a 5 year old. figure out what you like do your research and buy the right coin. Why would you need to buy it again? How many mistakes can you make and still feel like you know what you are even doing?

If its just the thrill of spending money then lay on the couch and put QVC on.

@jmlanzaf

you are a dealer right? Because I'm an adult if I bought a collectable coin you would be able to note the date and mint mark on your calendar and there would not be any repeats in the next ten years. You wouldn't hate me though as I'd be buying bullion every week. I'd be spending money , I would not be wasting it. You would never see me sell you a coin that you sold me first either. If I didn't want it I would not buy it to begin with

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

@planetsteve said:

@ChrisH821 said:

@BlindedByEgo said:

@lava said:

No — always the green (or gold) bean.

huh... what the heck am I false remembering then..

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

@privatecoin said:
    Buy the coin, not the holder or sticker.

Sell the coin, not the holder or sticker ... I dare you. ;)
    Crack out your PCGS/NGC graded coins and sell them raw and see if the coin stands on its own. To think the holder or sticker does not matter is to ignore the current marketplace.

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 13, 2019 1:42PM

@BlindedByEgo said:

How will you know after JA & his verification website are gone?
    Trust a dealer?

None of my coins have beans now, although some did when I bought them.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am not a CAC lover and not a CAC hater.....I tolerate CAC.

I see coins with stickers I like and I see coins with stickers that I don't like.

I have some coins with sticker, but most do not. If I see a nice coin without a sticker...….I am NOT suspicious.

I have coins that did have stickers that don't now because they have been sent in for attribution and got reholdered.

Bottom line I couldn't care less about stickers. Stickers or lack there of does not come into my decision making on coin buying.

• Options
    ByersByers Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭✭✭

CAC DOES sticker mint errors!

IMG_9355.PNG

mikebyers.com Dealer in Major Mint Errors, Die Trials & Patterns - Author of NLG Best World Coin Book World's Greatest Mint Errors - Publisher & Editor of minterrornews.com.
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:
    I am not a CAC lover and not a CAC hater.....I tolerate CAC.

I see coins with stickers I like and I see coins with stickers that I don't like.

I have some coins with sticker, but most do not. If I see a nice coin without a sticker...….I am NOT suspicious.

I have coins that did have stickers that don't now because they have been sent in for attribution and got reholdered.

Bottom line I couldn't care less about stickers. Stickers or lack there of does not come into my decision making on coin buying.

Well stated. It also fits with my collecting. All but point #2. When I sold my 1848-CAL Quarter Eagle the thread was full of speculation. I bought it from its appearance. There were many asking if it had been to CAC.
    If it weren't of any real importance on a coin of that date, I don't know why it would keep coming up.
    Many or most (including a dealer who is an ex grader) said it would pass with no problem.

Well it didn't. :o

I have coins without it that are permanent residents in the collection and they aren't stickered. I don't even intend to submit them.

I also have both. It's on new purchases that I'm seeking the sticker. I also require the same criteria as on ANY of my coins: that they have eye appeal. And, yes, I've seen stickered coins I would NEVER buy. :)

As to not caring for future value once I'm gone, well that's just not my nature. If I spend money I've earned to buy a coin, whether or not heirs keep or dump the stuff, I'd ....prefer..... that the value holds through time.

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ms70 said:
    This thread is still here?

Just because it's here doesn't mean you have to do it. ;)

• Options
    ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭✭✭

@asheland said:

MS64

From what I've seen of JA, he is a bit hesitant on orange saints. (entire coin toning not just splotches here & there)
    Possibly he sees it as a dipping issue?
    I have one I'd like to send in and see what he thinks but I like it and that's about good enough for me.
    Otherwise, that looks like a CAC'able 64 to me. (solid B 64)

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

You can rest assured none of my Barber Half's have been sent to CAC by me! :p

@No Headlights said:
    Yep. You see a nice coin now and wonder why it didn’t CAC. Reality is of course many have never been to CAC. But I agree 100%

• Options
    Wahoo554Wahoo554 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ReadyFireAim said:

@asheland said:

MS64

From what I've seen of JA, he is a bit hesitant on orange saints. (entire coin toning not just splotches here & there)
    I have one I'd like to send in and see what he thinks but I like it and that's about good enough for me.

@asheland, is that a pretty accurate representation of the coin’s color or is that lighting? Either way, doesn’t look especially orange to me. I haven’t seen many Saints that are as orange in coloration as many Indian half and quarter eagles. Very nice looking coin btw.

• Options
    scodalscodal Posts: 78 ✭✭✭

Necessary evil, pointless extra layer of complexity, welcomed second opinion, market reality or otherwise, sometimes that little bit of green on a slab makes the reds, blues, oranges and yellows on a nice toner really pop.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 13, 2019 11:31PM

I can recognize CAC extra value on coins where there is a separate CAC value in the sheet. But deducting say CWT MV or TPG MV on a non CAC coin - no not a buyer of that idea. The more correct generalization is that bidders in the marketplace may bid up CAC material higher but not always as has been my experience. A big ticket AU in coin sheet may not have separate CAC bid but could realize higher bidding due to its desirability / sticker. Then it is on the seller to get any extra money from buyers. More of a market qualitative process.

I frankly c it as moot issue as my asking price mainly function of cost plus. If I pay more on a CAC coin then it’s priced higher anyhow. Yes a CAC coin bid in sheet at $25000 vs $20000 bid on a non CAC issue recognized as worth more but a common 1922 Peace dollar bid at $36 in ms64 (cdn) such a deduction for non CAC wb an absurdity.

If I bid higher on CAC material it’s because of the coin itself and I see it as a or b material that can sell....at my price. So if TPG price $100, CAC coin most likely priced higher. No free ride in numismatics.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    batumibatumi Posts: 797 ✭✭✭✭

@Broadstruck said:
    I've done better walking into shows and out with a far larger checks on older holder graded material that wasn't stickered.

A sticker instantly psychologically hinders the thought of any possible upgrade potential.

Kinda like a + on a slab label will have a buyer spending more time wonder why it didn't make the next higher grade than why it got the plus.

Broadstruck: Even though I am a believer in third, third party grading-CAC-I like the concept of a sheriff with the gradeflation. You raise a very valid point with your possible upgrade point. I have seen several coins graded 66 non CAC later graded 67CAC with a couple 67+'s sprinkled in. Your point is well taken by me. Thx.

• Options
    LuxorLuxor Posts: 410 ✭✭✭✭✭

@topstuf said:
    It's what the lack of one will subtract from the value.
    At least that's my opinion and I'm seemingly seeing validation of that more and more.

Really???? Wow, and for the past 40+ yrs I've been enjoying the hobby without pissing away money for or paying an unjustified premium for a silly little green decal that IMO are as equally inconsistent as the grading services opinions.

Your hobby is supposed to be your therapy, not the reason you need it.

• Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

@spacehayduke said:
    Keep in mind that what CAC calls an A or B coin that will sticker is not always what other experienced graders or myself would or would not. Take the eagle eye sticker for example. I trust Snow's opinion much more than I do CAC for indian cents because Snow is the leading expert for this series. And yet, when I was doing IC's, some eagle eye stickered coins I had did not sticker with CAC. Who is right here?

Both are right. You have two different experts providing their respective opinions. There is no standard, so there is no single 'right' answer. Snow's opinion may be more informed that Albanese with respect to ICs, but that does not mean the lack of a CAC sticker is 'wrong' or that Snow is 'right.' It also does not mean that on another given day, either expert may change their opinion. Same can be said for Sego with QA stickers.

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 14, 2019 9:39AM

I am not much of a CAC player nor really active with it beyond business goals. I have been active in the businesss since 1990. I do bid on stickered coins especially if get them below CDN bid for CAC. I can see where investors in big ticket coins say over $500 or $1000 CAC players especially if CAC bid in sheet higher.

My goal is to get somewhere between cost and retail (most likely TPG MV) on the coins in my case at shows and online. For the few stickered coins I have these priced CPG based on the CAC bid if higher than TPG MV which then replaces the target amount (usually TPG MV).

I have stickered coins I feel are A or B coins and some probably not IMO. One needs to formulate their own opinion.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    JVCJVC Posts: 25 ✭✭

This 1885 CC Morgan is a coin which was sent to CAC and did not sticker. I love the look of this coin and would buy again with the knowledge it did not sticker.

James V. Culbertson
  • Options

@jmlanzaf said:

If you are a collector, you are not trying to make a market for coins. You aren't even trying to make money in the coin market. So your personal feelings about a particular coin or CAC stickers in general is irrelevant to the market. Like it or not, CAC ADDS VALUE in the marketplace. You personally don't have to insist on CAC or pay more for CAC. You can scrape the distracting green sticker off if you want. But you cannot claim that CAC does not change the value in the market without undermining your own credibility.

I've made no claim to credibility . Which is more than I can say for most :D

• Options

@bronco2078 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

If you are a collector, you are not trying to make a market for coins. You aren't even trying to make money in the coin market. So your personal feelings about a particular coin or CAC stickers in general is irrelevant to the market. Like it or not, CAC ADDS VALUE in the marketplace. You personally don't have to insist on CAC or pay more for CAC. You can scrape the distracting green sticker off if you want. But you cannot claim that CAC does not change the value in the market without undermining your own credibility.

I've made no claim to credibility . Which is more than I can say for most :D

In the words of Dirty Harry: "A man has to know his limitations."

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep. You see a nice coin now and wonder why it didn’t CAC. Reality is of course many have never been to CAC. But I agree 100%

statements like these are why the argument that the "sticker" doesn't create or enhance bias don't hold water. everyone seems to be so cognizant of CAC that they place that pre-requisite ahead of actually looking at coins. it is the same phenomenon which took place and persists to this day about TPG's and encapsulation. the mantra used to be "If it's not in a holder......................." about raw coins.

i can only wonder what will be next because If we don't learn from history we are bound to repeat it.

• Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭✭✭

The new crack out game.

I have always heard NGC has their grading standards as does PCGS.

If the grading efficiency ebbs and flows like tides... how does or is CAC standards going to shift?

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options
    Wahoo554Wahoo554 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with one of the comments above that a CAC sticker is helpful if you’re buying something off eBay or some other auction sight and can’t review it in hand. Gives you an extra layer of confidence in the coin. I don’t like it that CAC will sticker dipped early gold. I find such coins unappealing, even if they are strong for the grade from a details standpoint.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

If the grading efficiency ebbs and flows like tides... how does or is CAC standards going to shift?
    CAC sticker is helpful if you’re buying something off eBay or some other auction sight and can’t review it in hand. Gives you an extra layer of confidence in the coin

same type of bias present --- i read in bold "If everyone else's standard changes then why not JA, is he supposed to be the pillar of consistency??" but that gets clarified because buying sight unseen you know the grade is right with a CAC sticker??

how is it that the Hobby has changed to think like this??

• Options

@keets said:
    CAC sticker is helpful if you’re buying something off eBay or some other auction sight and can’t review it in hand. Gives you an extra layer of confidence in the coin

same type of bias present --- i read in bold "If everyone else's standard changes then why not JA, is he supposed to be the pillar of consistency??" but that gets clarified because buying sight unseen you know the grade is right with a CAC sticker??

how is it that the Hobby has changed to think like this??

fear laziness and greed

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ReadyFireAim said:

@asheland said:

MS64

It's actually not as orange as the picture makes it look. It's a rich yellow.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Wahoo554 said:

@ReadyFireAim said:

@asheland said:

MS64

@asheland, is that a pretty accurate representation of the coin’s color or is that lighting? Either way, doesn’t look especially orange to me. I haven’t seen many Saints that are as orange in coloration as many Indian half and quarter eagles. Very nice looking coin btw.

Yeah, everyone's monitors may vary, it's not particularly orange, but a rich, frosty yellow color.

• Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,425 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd take Rick Snow's Photoseal on a Flyer or IHC over a sticker.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 14, 2019 2:00PM

One man's POV across multiple series better than the accumulated knowledge of PCGS or NGC?

Come on...

Not opposed to CAC and anything that makes me select better coins and grade better...

That is a positive.

Another level of fees... is not a positive.

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options
    matt_dacmatt_dac Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭

TPG's and now CAC is a tide that will raise all boats regardless of individual opinion. I appreciate TPG's and CAC, but still buy the coin. I've seen high MS slabbed coins, some with CAC, that I consider junk/melt due to terrible eye appeal. I will buy raw with some coins, but never with gold (I primarily collect pre-33 US gold). I will buy a slabbed coin sans CAC if I like it.

• Options
    jkrkjkrk Posts: 967 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will pose a question which I expect to be called "unanswerable". Here goes:

If I buy 100 pre 33 $20 gold pieces on E-Bay (randomly) graded 60-64, how many will receive the green sticker?

• Options
    matt_dacmatt_dac Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anecdotally, I'll say 30-50%.

• Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

Whether you agree or not, CAC has done considerable damage. The value of your coins rests in the hands of one man. What a pathetic turn of events.

It’s either, yeah, I agree with the grade and no sticker. Or nope, I think it’s better, and you get the green. Just another persons opinion. And we all know THAT definition.

Where will it end?

I’m with the @BillJones camp on this one. Another way to extract more money from the collector.

Cheers

Bob

• Options
    philographerphilographer Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jkrk said:
    I will pose a question which I expect to be called "unanswerable". Here goes:

If I buy 100 pre 33 $20 gold pieces on E-Bay (randomly) graded 60-64, how many will receive the green sticker?

My guess:

If you buy them on eBay, perhaps 1%

If you buy them from various coin dealers around the county, perhaps 20%

He who knows he has enough is rich.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file