An Ebay buyer to avoid like the plague...***Update in first post***
I finally got hit by a buyer from hell. You may want to block this guy; no, you will want to block him, he's a real classic. Here is how things unfolded. This is a PCGS certified coin, BIN $2675, BTW:
- Buyer makes offer on coin. I am away from home, so I don't respond immediately
- a couple hours later, he hits the BIN button (yay!). I get a message from the buyer saying "I've agreed to buy your coin, now we just need to agree on a price" Huh? I message him back thru Ebay and say that I can't send a counter-offer because he has already agreed to pay full and the sale is done, but that I am willing to partially rebate him after he pays. We agree on a price.
- Before he pays, buyer sends me another message saying he will pay full price if I will Express Mail overnight the coin to him. I agree. Buyer pays. Coin is sent and received the next day.
- Buyer receives coin and immediately opens a Return case with Ebay, SNAD.
- I message buyer telling him he will receive a full refund when I receive the coin back from him.
- a couple hours later, I get another message from buyer, saying he'd like to keep the coin, but at a lower price. I stew, then ultimately agree as the buyer's price is still above what my original target was, but I tell him he has to close the Ebay case before I can do anything.
- buyer closes Ebay return, then sends another message saying he talked to a friend and that he now wants to pay $500 less. I tell him that I will not bend over to any more of his extortion and to pound sand. return the coin to me and I will issue a full refund.
- nothing for two days, then buyer messages me again apologizing and saying he wants to go back to the original agreed upon price. I say, "OK" (I should know better, but remember, he has the coin in his hands).
- buyer now open PayPal case (SNAD). I make a partial refund offer through Paypal as agreed with the buyer. Buyer refuses. He wants a full refund and to keep the coin. Haven't heard from him since...
That's where things stand now. I have spoken with Ebay and Paypal and they assure me that they will support the facts, but until I have the coin back in my hands, I am sweating. It's a big amount for me, I'm basically just a collector. If you want his Ebay ID, just message me
2/15/2019 Update: After reviewing the situation and evidence, Paypal told the buyer that he hadn't provided any proof of SNAD and if he wanted a refund, he must return the coin. The coin arrived today, undamaged and is safely back in my safe. Of course, the buyer left scathing negative feedback on Ebay - my only one ever. A quick call to Ebay along with a very responsive CS rep and the Neg was removed immediately. In the words of the rep "the buyer has contradicted himself multiple times, it is clear that the feedback isn't factual". The buyer had gushed about the coin a couple times in our many messages, so he really didn't have any ground to stand on.
Chalk one up for the good guys. I'm still out shipping charges, but I've got the coin and my rep back. Thanks for all the good wishes, it appears to be over. Time for a beer!