Options

An Ebay buyer to avoid like the plague...***Update in first post***

2»

Comments

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

@logger7 said:
    I try not to get peevish in business transactions as customers come in all stripes and a sign of a grown up is to show tolerance up to a point looking maybe at the likely intent. I have had potential customers bash a grading service and if they are misinformed, just being rude, uneducated and discriminatory I have to realize that perceptions vary. Once there is a pattern of intimidation it is likely a different story. I have to realize I can be a "tough customer". It sounds like this example is engaging in fraud.

It's not a question of being "peevish", it's a question of good business. And wasting time and money with bad customers is bad business.

There are 179 million active users on Ebay. Why fool around with a potential customer, or customers who are a pain in the neck? There are potentially millions more out there waiting to buy.

Any customer who buys from me and complains, unless the transaction was my fault or the fault of the delivery service, also gets blocked.

You want these irritating, aggravating, nuisance customers? Go ahead, they're all yours. :#

It strikes me as rash and intemperate to dismiss and cut people off for irritating communications. I try to practice a "live and let live" philosophy having a high tolerance for others that are different. In work I have done I have had to tolerate tough co-workers with rough edges, customers with varying degrees of desirable traits. I am often amazed at the tolerance I see in other business professionals who live up to the best ideals of customer service. No company can survive and thrive in the information economy without having top notch customer service. If you treat all people with due respect, you are unlikely to draw problems often.

On issues of fraud or significant unreasonableness, you have a different story; most businesses have layers of checks and balances to address those who are not abiding by the rules of fair play.

• Options
    Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

I got my first SNAD today from a dishonest buyer. :'(:s:(
    Intheloupe2013
    He claimed a Pcgs graded coin seemed “doesn’t seem authentic” and “misrepresented”
    I am forced to refund on return, and pay for return shipping. Despite clear item description!

There is nothing I can do. Never had a snad in 6 years of use, or ever filled against me at all.
    eBay says it is “cost of business “ despite my concierge status, top rated seller status, 100% positive.

If I refuse to cooperate and refund it will damage my seller status. intheloupe2013

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never offer partial refunds or you will open yourself to being manipulated. The buyer wants the coin at the original price or he sends it back. The end. FWIW, I would have called eBay after he tried to renegotiate the offer before he paid and asked eBay to cancel the sale without a fault on my account. Otherwise, I would have accepted the one fault on my account and cancelled it as a matter of right (which eBay allows).

At this point, you should send proof to PayPal of his attempts to renegotiate the sale. That should do it.

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Aspie_Rocco said:
    Intheloupe2013
    He claimed a Pcgs graded coin seemed “doesn’t seem authentic” and “misrepresented”
    I am forced to refund on return, and pay for return shipping. Despite clear item description!

There is nothing I can do. Never had a snad in 6 years of use, or ever filled against me at all.
    eBay says it is “cost of business “ despite my concierge status, top rated seller status, 100% positive.

If I refuse to cooperate and refund it will damage my seller status. intheloupe2013

That is unfortunate, but at least you are only going to be shorted by the shipping charge. Have you listed here in the BST?

Collector, occasional seller

• Options

Hopefully they send back the coin, and hopefully I will only be out the shipping fees to and from.

I have tried on the BST before. Never had any sales at all. A few trades worked out but no sales here. Probably because I mostly sell modern stuff, Nickels and varieties.

• Options

@Aspie_Rocco said:
    Hopefully they send back the coin, and hopefully I will only be out the shipping fees to and from.

I have tried on the BST before. Never had any sales at all. A few trades worked out but no sales here. Probably because I mostly sell modern stuff, Nickels and varieties.

Shoot a video with your phone or tablet as you open it. I have even asked USPS employees to watch me open a package on occasion in the past.

• Options
    edited February 12, 2019 1:34PM

@FadeToBlack said:
    Want two sellers you can block?

tbtiques - Threatened to pay me a visit when I confronted him about not issuing a refund and not shipping my coin I ordered. He's done it several times (sells an item and doesn't ship it) yet eBay still doesn't shut down his account.

sharbite2000 - Threatened to pay me a visit and thank me for my feedback, wished I'd get hit by a drunk driver who would then proceed to rape my wife... you get the gist... Yeah, still an active account, still selling.

eBay is aware of both of these dbags and has done nothing.

I would contact law enforcement. I doubt much (if anything) will be done, but it is worth a shot.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,760 ✭✭✭✭✭

@logger7 said:

@stevek said:

@logger7 said:
    I try not to get peevish in business transactions as customers come in all stripes and a sign of a grown up is to show tolerance up to a point looking maybe at the likely intent. I have had potential customers bash a grading service and if they are misinformed, just being rude, uneducated and discriminatory I have to realize that perceptions vary. Once there is a pattern of intimidation it is likely a different story. I have to realize I can be a "tough customer". It sounds like this example is engaging in fraud.

It's not a question of being "peevish", it's a question of good business. And wasting time and money with bad customers is bad business.

There are 179 million active users on Ebay. Why fool around with a potential customer, or customers who are a pain in the neck? There are potentially millions more out there waiting to buy.

Any customer who buys from me and complains, unless the transaction was my fault or the fault of the delivery service, also gets blocked.

You want these irritating, aggravating, nuisance customers? Go ahead, they're all yours. :#

It strikes me as rash and intemperate to dismiss and cut people off for irritating communications. I try to practice a "live and let live" philosophy having a high tolerance for others that are different. In work I have done I have had to tolerate tough co-workers with rough edges, customers with varying degrees of desirable traits. I am often amazed at the tolerance I see in other business professionals who live up to the best ideals of customer service. No company can survive and thrive in the information economy without having top notch customer service. If you treat all people with due respect, you are unlikely to draw problems often.

On issues of fraud or significant unreasonableness, you have a different story; most businesses have layers of checks and balances to address those who are not abiding by the rules of fair play.

I don't disagree with anything you just stated.

But we're talking Ebay nuisances here. That's a different animal than the examples you gave.

In my view the examples you gave versus Ebay nuisances, is like comparing a well trained and pleasant house cat to a feral cat. Yes, some feral cats could possibly be considered nice, but many of them if you try to pet them, will give you a viscous bite and perhaps a nasty infection as a result.

I don't have the time or inclination to go around petting feral cats.

• Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Aspie_Rocco said:
    Intheloupe2013

Blocked

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Aspie_Rocco said:

Unfortunate. Do you offer "no returns"? In this day and age, that forces buyers to automatically open SNAD cases. It's better to just take it back and move on of course.

• Options

@Wabbit2313 said:

@Aspie_Rocco said:

Unfortunate. Do you offer "no returns"? In this day and age, that forces buyers to automatically open SNAD cases. It's better to just take it back and move on of course.

I do offer no returns. However, if someone contacts me and is unhappy, I accept returns. This guy did not communicate at all, even to messages after he filed a case.
    After a long call with eBay, I just accepted the return.
    If that is why he filed a case, I am glad I blocked him.

• Options

@Aspie_Rocco said:

@Wabbit2313 said:

@Aspie_Rocco said:

I do offer no returns. However, if someone contacts me and is unhappy, I accept returns. This guy did not communicate at all, even to messages after he filed a case.
    After a long call with eBay, I just accepted the return.
    If that is why he filed a case, I am glad I blocked him.

With no returns, a buyer knows he can just check "not as described" and eBay will side with him every time. In the old days we could fight it, but not anymore. You will take it back no matter what, so why not just accept returns and not have to pay the shipping back? Usually a buyer will at least pay the return shipping, but not always. It also avoids the case being opened against you.

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Aspie_Rocco said:
    Intheloupe2013

I don't see the negative (yet). Was it the unattributed QDO? the listing could be misunderstood and the entire PCGS label is not easily visible with light glare.

• Options

@FadeToBlack said:

@cameonut2011 said:

@FadeToBlack said:
    Want two sellers you can block?

tbtiques - Threatened to pay me a visit when I confronted him about not issuing a refund and not shipping my coin I ordered. He's done it several times (sells an item and doesn't ship it) yet eBay still doesn't shut down his account.

sharbite2000 - Threatened to pay me a visit and thank me for my feedback, wished I'd get hit by a drunk driver who would then proceed to rape my wife... you get the gist... Yeah, still an active account, still selling.

eBay is aware of both of these dbags and has done nothing.

I would contact law enforcement. I doubt much (if anything) will be done, but it is worth a shot.

Already done, fwiw.

The Cabal do not need the Police!

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭✭✭

On any online threats of violence you can report that to relevant law enforcement agencies.

• Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

HORROR STORY.
    but you block "Jack Crook" right now and he is back 10 minutes later as "Jim Crook" with Feebays 100% knowledge.
    Also, many of these crooks keep ebay accounts alive for some time. without using until they decide to use it.

Question: Is it possible to deny the acceptance of CC for your sold items?
    seems to me that Paypal is using CC -charge backs at times as a insurance policy to wiggle out of a possible pay-out.

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cameonut2011 said:

@Aspie_Rocco said:

Shoot a video with your phone or tablet as you open it. I have even asked USPS employees to watch me open a package on occasion in the past.

Yeah I signed for and opened an empty priority mail box right at the USPS counter that was supposed to contain 3 - 1oz gold Maple Leafs. Postmaster said he didn't want to get involved, said it was a civil dispute and police department blew it off and pretty much said the same. Lucky for me he pulled the same scam with multiple other buyers so we all got our $$$ back. At the time he had a feedback rating of over 5000 and 100% positive. Unfortunately recording yourself opening a package isn't going to do much imo.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,126 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yup, you're right, one for the good guys, congratulations !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,318 ✭✭✭✭✭

This will happen more often due to both ebay and paypal's soft buyer return policies. You have to be a smart seller(feller) mbogoman.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad you had a successful ending and that ebay was helpful. This thread will be good for future reference for anyone else who encounters a situation like this.

• Options

Only one beer? Think that's two, at least, and a shot of whiskey.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

wait til the last possible minute to make the refund. I personally would subtract the return shipping costs from the refund. Make him fight for it, he may not even bother.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

Toasting the proper outcome with a Starr Hill "Snow Blind" doppelbock at this moment.

• Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,126 ✭✭✭✭✭

@kaz said:
    Toasting the proper outcome with a Starr Hill "Snow Blind" doppelbock at this moment.

That sounds good! Will have to check BevMo to see if they have it...

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am starting a new ebay ID "like_the_plague" reading between the lines I'd say I should do fine

• Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭✭✭

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file