Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What coins have dropped in value most in the last few years?

2»

Comments

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's great if you're buying!

• Options
    scotty4449scotty4449 Posts: 684 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have only been collecting for the last 6 months, so I really have no context when it comes to the coin market. It sounds like a really good buying opportunity to me! I just wish I had more money to spend!

• Options
    dlmtortsdlmtorts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭

Any coin in MS65. That used to be called gem BU. Now it seems to be average uncirc.

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bean rejects.

• Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds like a buying opportunity to me. Very neat series with 50 design types for the silver coins with no real stoppers in the set.

They may be nice but if few are interested in collecting them what have you got?

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,441 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mr1874 said:
    Sounds like a buying opportunity to me. Very neat series with 50 design types for the silver coins with no real stoppers in the set.

They may be nice but if few are interested in collecting them what have you got?

A nice coin collection. :)

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't deal in moderns so I have no basis for that, but in the stuff I sold recently
    Late date UNC walkers, nice, but not top grades sold lousy.
    Commems as mentioned, and have for a while.

Unc Washington quarters in toilet.

early key date lincolns in all grades (maybe not top end red, as I don't get those)

low grade better date barber stuff, seated dimes, and junk

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,518 ✭✭✭✭✭

a lot. like it was said above it may be a good buying opportunity to buy something you want. the hard part I think it that some are not selling either right now. jmo

• Options
    GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭

I appreciate the optimism of many in this thread, but it's hard to think of a scenario in which the hobby will come back. Sure, the billionaires are going to bid on their registry set coins--what else do they have to do with their money?--but the masses need to be involved if the hobby were to revive. And yet, I do not know of a single young person who collects coins, and I work with a lot of young people. I am still astonished at prices in Coin World for things such as a 1909-S VDB. My guess is that if you figure in the number of collectors and the number of coins out there, this coin in low grades should sell for twenty or thirty bucks. Ditto for most of the other coins I and my friends drooled over as kids. And yet for all of that, it's still a fun hobby—if you like coins. I'll keep buying coins now and then, but am guessing that either I or my kids will eventually sell off everything for melt. I hope I'm wrong.

Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • Options
    edited February 12, 2019 8:37AM

delete.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am not seeking many coins at this time... I do look for a few online....I have yet to see this 'crashing prices' phenomena....Looking forward to it though.... Until then, I will continue to seek those coins that 'speak' to me.... Just as a note here... I am not necessarily looking for bargain basement prices.... though it would be nice. I am seeing premium prices that do not reflect the sentiments expressed here. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ChopmarkedTradesChopmarkedTrades Posts: 499 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GritsMan said:
    I appreciate the optimism of many in this thread, but it's hard to think of a scenario in which the hobby will come back. Sure, the billionaires are going to bid on their registry set coins--what else do they have to do with their money?--but the masses need to be involved if the hobby were to revive. And yet, I do not know of a single young person who collects coins, and I work with a lot of young people. I am still astonished at prices in Coin World for things such as a 1909-S VDB. My guess is that if you figure in the number of collectors and the number of coins out there, this coin in low grades should sell for twenty or thirty bucks. Ditto for most of the other coins I and my friends drooled over as kids. And yet for all of that, it's still a fun hobby—if you like coins. I'll keep buying coins now and then, but am guessing that either I or my kids will eventually sell off everything for melt. I hope I'm wrong.

The demand may completely collapse, and result in those prices you predict. But as prices fall, those collectors with potential interest but insufficient funding will find it a more attractive hobby; there will always be a group of core collectors in it for the history. And it's true, we may have passed the golden age of mainstream coin collecting (going the way of stamps), but it won't die out completely. As a younger collector, I'm looking forward to being able to pursue this hobby without breaking the bank.

• Options

Like the old hunter said, "I got mine. They didn't leave me no buffalo."

• Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are currently, slightly more than 90K Morgan Dollar listings on Ebay

There are 128K sold listings...

The dealers may die out,... but Ebay will live on for the small fish and Legends for the big fish.

Seem like 1878 8TF VAM's have fallen along with other VAM's

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

@yspsales said:
    There are currently, slightly more than 90K Morgan Dollar listings on Ebay

There is currently just one, bonded triple struck coin!!!! :):D:oB)>:)<3

Just search "bonded triple struck"

• Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

My take on this. The grade tightening has killed the market. Shopping for under-graded coins drove the market in all types of coins. Buying those coins, cracking and sending, and having them go down, stopped all those buyers. (And I mean in their tracks!)

Nice CAC Rattlers should not drop 2 or more grades. Nice Fatty CAC coins should not drop 2 or more grades. Nice coins graded last year should not drop 2 or more grades.

I have stopped buying, and I am not alone at all. If they fix the inconsistency, who knows. I hope it's not too late.

• Options
    WCCWCC Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RogerB said:
    RE: "Generic gold and the premiums are ridiculously low."

No, the price of gold is too high to permit new collectors to enter the hobby and enjoy it to a similar extent as bronze and silver coins. The cost over bullion is really unimportant.

Agree. Big difference between a spot price of $400 15 years ago and $1300 now.

Additionally, there is far more supply for many of these coins than actual collectors (as opposed to gold speculators) who will ever want it as a collectible. It isn't just the 1904 DE or common Saints but even many others.

• Options
    WCCWCC Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@amwldcoin said:
    Collectors ride out the storm. Investors Panic! That's My humble opinion for the drag on the market. It may take time but I think it will come back!

Edit to add...I am just as much a collector as a dealer!

There's some truth to this. But, I'd like to make two additional points:
    1. There are "collectors" with shallow pockets who worry about the value of their collections. They aren't strictly in either camp exclusively.
    2. There is economic psychology at play. When prices are rising, collectors (buyers) want to jump in while the item is still affordable. When prices are dropping, collectors (buyers) want to wait to try and get a better deal.

To your second point, that's how speculators in financial markets behave.

• Options
    KindaNewishKindaNewish Posts: 827 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Wabbit2313 said:
    My take on this.

Nice CAC Rattlers should not drop 2 or more grades. Nice Fatty CAC coins should not drop 2 or more grades. Nice coins graded last year should not drop 2 or more grades.

Seriously? Beaned old holders dropped two grades?

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

All of the top pop moderns that didn't make the plus grade when the plus designation was added...

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WCC said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@amwldcoin said:
    Collectors ride out the storm. Investors Panic! That's My humble opinion for the drag on the market. It may take time but I think it will come back!

Edit to add...I am just as much a collector as a dealer!

There's some truth to this. But, I'd like to make two additional points:
    1. There are "collectors" with shallow pockets who worry about the value of their collections. They aren't strictly in either camp exclusively.
    2. There is economic psychology at play. When prices are rising, collectors (buyers) want to jump in while the item is still affordable. When prices are dropping, collectors (buyers) want to wait to try and get a better deal.

To your second point, that's how speculators in financial markets behave.

To my second point, that's how BUYERS in ALL markets behave. It is the whole reason why the Fed bias is towards moderate inflation.

• Options
    santinidollarsantinidollar Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

Peace dollars

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file