TrueView: 1794 Cent S-26 found raw in the UK

I purchased this incredibly original and not-messed-with 1794 Large Cent out of a collection in the rural UK. The family had the coin for over 100 years and they bought it from a collectors family who apparently brought it back from the US in the late 1700s. While it graded slightly lower than I was expecting / hoping, I can't complain - the coin is sooooo original and the color is perfect. Will serve nicely as my type example - and looks to me to be a Sheldon-26 but you EAC experts please let me know.

Comments

  • 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Wow, I like it :smile:

    Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978

    Bad transactions with : nobody to date

  • coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭✭

    Fantastic, congrats on the find.

  • dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 6,973 ✭✭✭✭

    Looks like Liberty is wearing ear muffs. I like the coin. One of my favorite years.

    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053

    imageimage
  • Senator32Senator32 Posts: 134 ✭✭✭✭

    @dbldie55 said:
    Looks like Liberty is wearing ear muffs. I like the coin. One of my favorite years.

    Agree - mine too. I am wondering if the flatness in the hair is more due to the terminal die state rather than just wear - doesn't have that worn look many others have. Either way, was very happy to acquire it.

  • RogerBRogerB Posts: 7,573 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Nice find. There are likely more sitting in old estate and family collections of "ex-Colonial" coins.

  • Peace_dollar88Peace_dollar88 Posts: 956 ✭✭✭✭✭

    wow! great looking vf35! What grade were you hoping for?

  • Senator32Senator32 Posts: 134 ✭✭✭✭

    @Peace_dollar88 said:
    wow! great looking vf35! What grade were you hoping for?

    I thanks. Having owned a few VF examples before I thought this was an XF40/45 example - pretty sure the obv weakness is die to the failing die. To me looks like an XF40 obv and an AU50 rev (the reverse is really dreamy in hand).

  • WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 4,952 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Amazing! I really like that coin!!

    Walking Liberty Sets

    "Looking back, of course, it was irresponsible, mad, forlorn and idiotic but, if you don't take chances, then you'll never have a winning hand and I have no regrets."--Bernard Cornwell.
  • KyleKyle Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Great find @Senator32, I like it a lot.

    Successful BST Transactions With: tonedase, streg2, airplanenut, coindeuce, vibr0nic, natetrook, Shrub68, golden
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 17,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

    It is very unusual to see those with completely original surfaces. Most have been subjected to the goat's hair brush over the years. It is too bad it has some rim dings.

    All glory is fleeting.
  • Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I would have been asking, "what else did they buy back then??" Great story and coin.

  • thebigengthebigeng Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Nice coin! Great pick!

    “Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck.” ~ Dalai Lama
  • astroratastrorat Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

    What a nice cent!

    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Very nice. Love the look of that coin. I have a 1794 large cent that at best would grade about good. Very fun to hold on my hand.

  • CharlotteDudeCharlotteDude Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Excellent coloration. Really nice early copper there!

    Got Crust....y gold?
  • goldengolden Posts: 5,364 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Very nice coin and a great story.

  • CoinRaritiesOnlineCoinRaritiesOnline Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭✭

    Charming!

  • lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭✭

    Exemplary piece! That's the year I'd like as my type piece for a Liberty Cap Cent...

    Collecting ... dust

    Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins.
  • MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 21,388 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Senator32 said:

    @Peace_dollar88 said:
    wow! great looking vf35! What grade were you hoping for?

    I thanks. Having owned a few VF examples before I thought this was an XF40/45 example - pretty sure the obv weakness is die to the failing die. To me looks like an XF40 obv and an AU50 rev (the reverse is really dreamy in hand).

    Looks like an XF that was netted down to 35 for the rim bumps. Looks right to me.

    Andy Lustig

    Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

    Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.

    image
  • Senator32Senator32 Posts: 134 ✭✭✭✭

    @MrEureka said:
    Looks like an XF that was netted down to 35 for the rim bumps. Looks right to me.

    I can totally see that being the case. It is funny, rim bumps are my #1 pet peeve and usually ruin a coin for me...but in hand these bumps are really minor and actually don't distract from the eye appeal for me. Hard to explain - but the color and overall look make the bumps stand out less. Then again...maybe its just still new...we will see :smile:

  • jabbajabba Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭✭

    @Senator32 said:

    @MrEureka said:
    Looks like an XF that was netted down to 35 for the rim bumps. Looks right to me.

    I can totally see that being the case. It is funny, rim bumps are my #1 pet peeve and usually ruin a coin for me...but in hand these bumps are really minor and actually don't distract from the eye appeal for me. Hard to explain - but the color and overall look make the bumps stand out less. Then again...maybe its just still new...we will see :smile:

    Rim bumps on that coin just look natural I don’t think it should have been penalized very original looking I love it

  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 19,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Very nice!

    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

    I knew it would happen.
  • JimWJimW Posts: 51 ✭✭✭

    Thanks for posting the story and pics!

  • ms70ms70 Posts: 10,839 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Awesome! Will it be back to U.S. soil permanently?

  • jonrunsjonruns Posts: 878 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Awesome story and coin!!

  • Senator32Senator32 Posts: 134 ✭✭✭✭

    @ms70 said:
    Awesome! Will it be back to U.S. soil permanently?

    Yes. It is back and here to stay :smile:

  • Is a crosspost to Reddit in order?

  • mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Very nice acquisition! Congrats.

  • MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 21,388 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @jabba said:

    @Senator32 said:

    @MrEureka said:
    Looks like an XF that was netted down to 35 for the rim bumps. Looks right to me.

    I can totally see that being the case. It is funny, rim bumps are my #1 pet peeve and usually ruin a coin for me...but in hand these bumps are really minor and actually don't distract from the eye appeal for me. Hard to explain - but the color and overall look make the bumps stand out less. Then again...maybe its just still new...we will see :smile:

    Rim bumps on that coin just look natural I don’t think it should have been penalized very original looking I love it

    Knocking a coin from 40+ Down to 35 is hardly a death sentence. It’s just a recognition that the coin would be better without the rim bumps.

    Andy Lustig

    Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

    Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.

    image
  • RealoneRealone Posts: 17,670 ✭✭✭✭

    Wonderful find!

    'Never give in, never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy'.
    FYI: I only collect naturally toned coins with original surfaces and nothing else, trust me nothing else!
    OK with one exception!
  • Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 10,068 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Very nice, I like it, congratulations !!! :)

    Timbuk3
  • ColonialcoinColonialcoin Posts: 550 ✭✭✭✭

    The color on your coin is fabulous! It’s very difficult to find that look on early US copper. Great story and great find! Congrats!

  • thebeavthebeav Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭✭

    @MrEureka said:
    Looks like an XF that was netted down to 35 for the rim bumps. Looks right to me.

    I agree. I would rather have that than a 'details' label.

  • YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 2,760 ✭✭✭✭

    Nice find

    Yorkshireman
    Obsessed collector of pieces of history.



    Yorkshireman's Box of 20
  • rickoricko Posts: 65,102 ✭✭✭✭✭

    That is a beautiful coin...What a great acquisition.... Congratulations. Cheers, RickO

  • sniocsusniocsu Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭

    Very nice! Very cool story too! Did they have anything else that made its way back from the US when it was an infant nation? This is definitely a 1794 S-26; reverse is quite unique (injured O, crack through E to leaf, 5 berries Left - 6 Right, ...). Overall it is a very nice pickup; I love hearing about great classic coins like this one still being found out in the wild. Congrats!

Sign In or Register to comment.