TrueView: 1794 Cent S-26 found raw in the UK

Options
Senator32
Senator32 Posts: 407 ✭✭✭✭✭

I purchased this incredibly original and not-messed-with 1794 Large Cent out of a collection in the rural UK. The family had the coin for over 100 years and they bought it from a collectors family who apparently brought it back from the US in the late 1700s. While it graded slightly lower than I was expecting / hoping, I can't complain - the coin is sooooo original and the color is perfect. Will serve nicely as my type example - and looks to me to be a Sheldon-26 but you EAC experts please let me know.

Comments

  • 1630Boston
    1630Boston Posts: 14,157 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    Wow, I like it :smile:

    Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb, Ricko

    Bad transactions with : nobody to date

  • This content has been removed.
  • coinbuf
    coinbuf Posts: 12,577 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    Fantastic, congrats on the find.

    My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

    Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • dbldie55
    dbldie55 Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    Looks like Liberty is wearing ear muffs. I like the coin. One of my favorite years.

    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Boosibri
    Boosibri Posts: 12,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    That is outstanding!

  • Senator32
    Senator32 Posts: 407 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    @dbldie55 said:
    Looks like Liberty is wearing ear muffs. I like the coin. One of my favorite years.

    Agree - mine too. I am wondering if the flatness in the hair is more due to the terminal die state rather than just wear - doesn't have that worn look many others have. Either way, was very happy to acquire it.

  • RogerB
    RogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    Nice find. There are likely more sitting in old estate and family collections of "ex-Colonial" coins.

  • Peace_dollar88
    Peace_dollar88 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    wow! great looking vf35! What grade were you hoping for?

  • Senator32
    Senator32 Posts: 407 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    @Peace_dollar88 said:
    wow! great looking vf35! What grade were you hoping for?

    I thanks. Having owned a few VF examples before I thought this was an XF40/45 example - pretty sure the obv weakness is die to the failing die. To me looks like an XF40 obv and an AU50 rev (the reverse is really dreamy in hand).

  • Walkerfan
    Walkerfan Posts: 10,392 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    Amazing! I really like that coin!!

    Sometimes, it’s better to be LUCKY than good. 🍀 🍺👍

    My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947):

    https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

  • Kyle
    Kyle Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    Great find @Senator32, I like it a lot.

    Successful BST Transactions With: tonedase, streg2, airplanenut, coindeuce, vibr0nic, natetrook, Shrub68, golden, Lakesammman, drddm, Ilikecolor, CoinJunkie, wondercoin, lablover
  • 291fifth
    291fifth Posts: 25,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    It is very unusual to see those with completely original surfaces. Most have been subjected to the goat's hair brush over the years. It is too bad it has some rim dings.

    All glory is fleeting.
  • Wabbit2313
    Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    I would have been asking, "what else did they buy back then??" Great story and coin.

  • Coin Finder
    Coin Finder Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    Nice coin! Great pick!

    The court jester does not play, but gently pulls the strings…

  • astrorat
    astrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    What a nice cent!

    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • SanctionII
    SanctionII Posts: 13,191 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    Very nice. Love the look of that coin. I have a 1794 large cent that at best would grade about good. Very fun to hold on my hand.

  • CharlotteDude
    CharlotteDude Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    Excellent coloration. Really nice early copper there!

    Got Crust....y gold?
  • golden
    golden Posts: 10,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    Very nice coin and a great story.

  • CoinRaritiesOnline
    CoinRaritiesOnline Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

    Charming!

  • lkenefic
    lkenefic Posts: 9,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    Exemplary piece! That's the year I'd like as my type piece for a Liberty Cap Cent...

    Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

    Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • MrEureka
    MrEureka Posts: 24,782 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    @Senator32 said:

    @Peace_dollar88 said:
    wow! great looking vf35! What grade were you hoping for?

    I thanks. Having owned a few VF examples before I thought this was an XF40/45 example - pretty sure the obv weakness is die to the failing die. To me looks like an XF40 obv and an AU50 rev (the reverse is really dreamy in hand).

    Looks like an XF that was netted down to 35 for the rim bumps. Looks right to me.

    Andy Lustig

    Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.
    Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Senator32
    Senator32 Posts: 407 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    @MrEureka said:
    Looks like an XF that was netted down to 35 for the rim bumps. Looks right to me.

    I can totally see that being the case. It is funny, rim bumps are my #1 pet peeve and usually ruin a coin for me...but in hand these bumps are really minor and actually don't distract from the eye appeal for me. Hard to explain - but the color and overall look make the bumps stand out less. Then again...maybe its just still new...we will see :smile:

  • jabba
    jabba Posts: 3,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    @Senator32 said:

    @MrEureka said:
    Looks like an XF that was netted down to 35 for the rim bumps. Looks right to me.

    I can totally see that being the case. It is funny, rim bumps are my #1 pet peeve and usually ruin a coin for me...but in hand these bumps are really minor and actually don't distract from the eye appeal for me. Hard to explain - but the color and overall look make the bumps stand out less. Then again...maybe its just still new...we will see :smile:

    Rim bumps on that coin just look natural I don’t think it should have been penalized very original looking I love it

  • jmski52
    jmski52 Posts: 24,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    Very nice!

    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

    I knew it would happen.
  • JimW
    JimW Posts: 617 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

    Thanks for posting the story and pics!

    Successful BST Transactions: erwindoc, VTchaser, moursund, robkool, RelicKING, Herb_T, Meltdown, ElmerFusterpuck, airplanenut

  • ms70
    ms70 Posts: 13,958 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    Awesome! Will it be back to U.S. soil permanently?

  • jonruns
    jonruns Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    Awesome story and coin!!

  • Senator32
    Senator32 Posts: 407 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    @ms70 said:
    Awesome! Will it be back to U.S. soil permanently?

    Yes. It is back and here to stay :smile:

  • ChopmarkedTrades
    ChopmarkedTrades Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    Is a crosspost to Reddit in order?

  • mvs7
    mvs7 Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    Very nice acquisition! Congrats.

  • MrEureka
    MrEureka Posts: 24,782 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    @jabba said:

    @Senator32 said:

    @MrEureka said:
    Looks like an XF that was netted down to 35 for the rim bumps. Looks right to me.

    I can totally see that being the case. It is funny, rim bumps are my #1 pet peeve and usually ruin a coin for me...but in hand these bumps are really minor and actually don't distract from the eye appeal for me. Hard to explain - but the color and overall look make the bumps stand out less. Then again...maybe its just still new...we will see :smile:

    Rim bumps on that coin just look natural I don’t think it should have been penalized very original looking I love it

    Knocking a coin from 40+ Down to 35 is hardly a death sentence. It’s just a recognition that the coin would be better without the rim bumps.

    Andy Lustig

    Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.
    Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • This content has been removed.
  • Timbuk3
    Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    Very nice, I like it, congratulations !!! :)

    Timbuk3
  • Colonialcoin
    Colonialcoin Posts: 925 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    The color on your coin is fabulous! It’s very difficult to find that look on early US copper. Great story and great find! Congrats!

  • thebeav
    thebeav Posts: 4,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    @MrEureka said:
    Looks like an XF that was netted down to 35 for the rim bumps. Looks right to me.

    I agree. I would rather have that than a 'details' label.

  • Yorkshireman
    Yorkshireman Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    Nice find

    Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • ricko
    ricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    That is a beautiful coin...What a great acquisition.... Congratulations. Cheers, RickO

  • sniocsu
    sniocsu Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭
    Options

    Very nice! Very cool story too! Did they have anything else that made its way back from the US when it was an infant nation? This is definitely a 1794 S-26; reverse is quite unique (injured O, crack through E to leaf, 5 berries Left - 6 Right, ...). Overall it is a very nice pickup; I love hearing about great classic coins like this one still being found out in the wild. Congrats!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file