Home Precious Metals
Options

GOLD AND SILVER, ECONOMIC NEWS 2019

124»

Comments

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now that is very interesting. Did a bit of digging.

The article cites the Swedish Civil Contingencies Agency (MSB). So went looking. This is the website, in English, https://www.msb.se/en/

Went looking for where they said to keep some cash. Nothing obvious on the website until:

https://www.msb.se/en/Tools/News/The-brochure-If-Crisis-or-War-Comes-is-available-to-download/

Let’s take a look at the brochure. There it is on page 11:

“Communications
    In the event of a serious incident, you need to be able to receive important information from the authorities, primarily Sveriges Radio's radio station P4. You also need to be able to follow how the media are reporting events, remain in contact with relatives and friends and be able to reach the emergency services in the event of an emergency.”

It’s a checklist item a few lines above:

“nappies and menstrual products”

And...

“cash in small denominations”

https://www.msb.se/Upload/Forebyggande/Krisberedskap/Krisberedskapsveckan/Fakta om broschyren Om krisen eller Kriget kommer/om-krisen-eller-kriget-kommer---engelska.pdf

Did a basic search for gold, silver, and stacking; and found nothing, but, interesting for a country that is leaning toward a cashless society is calling for cash.

All done, your international lesson on societal issues is over.

Go stack! :D

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

Peter Schiff Talks Trade Wars

"So, I think Trump made a calculated decision that no deal is better than a deal that disappoints, especially since he had already goosed the market up to new highs so even if we sold off, Trump could say, ‘Well, this is some short-term pain. It’s necessary for the long-term gain.’ And it may be the catalyst that causes the Fed to cut interest rates and launch QE, which is what Trump wants.”

"If the market really understood the gravity of the situation, it wouldn’t be down 600 points, it would be down 6,000 points. Gold would be up hundreds of dollars an ounce if people really perceived reality, or understood what this means.”

"We used to save. We used to make capital investments. We don’t do that anymore. We just borrow and spend. And where do we get the money that we’re borrowing? From the Chinese and other nations that are doing the savings for us. So, they’re saving for us. They’re producing for us. And we’re living off their productivity and their under-consumption. And that party – that global gravy train is about to come to an end.”

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭

to prop up their 8% GDP, regional governments took on a lot of debt. they all had to look good to the party.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:

"If the market really understood the gravity of the situation, it wouldn’t be down 600 points, it would be down 6,000 points. Gold would be up hundreds of dollars an ounce if people really perceived reality, or understood what this means.”

so many other countries are racking up debt, that there is going to be a crisis da one day. I think we'll see some mutual debt forgiveness. Also, they administration would never do it, but there is the QE method I propose to fix it -- create money, buy debt, forgive debt.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:

"So, I think Trump made a calculated decision that no deal is better than a deal that disappoints, especially since he had already goosed the market up to new highs so even if we sold off, Trump could say, ‘Well, this is some short-term pain. It’s necessary for the long-term gain.’ And it may be the catalyst that causes the Fed to cut interest rates and launch QE, which is what Trump wants.”

"We used to save. We used to make capital investments. We don’t do that anymore. We just borrow and spend. And where do we get the money that we’re borrowing? From the Chinese and other nations that are doing the savings for us. So, they’re saving for us. They’re producing for us. And we’re living off their productivity and their under-consumption. And that party – that global gravy train is about to come to an end.”

😴💤

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options

@cohodk said:

😴💤

Keep sleepin'

• Options

@derryb said:

@cohodk said:

😴💤

Keep sleepin'

There is time to sleep and time to wake but nothing is more tiring than hyperbolic fear mongering.

Besides, what would one miss if they kept napping?

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭

Peter's recent video is a bit more animated than usual. It does seem to me that the debt issues are coming to a head by election time. We live in interesting times, and yeah the stock market is overvalued.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    mhammermanmhammerman Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭

Hi metal campers. Just checking in to see what the buzz is. No great insight to share with you except stay hunkered down, grab a little when you can and wait for favorable winds from the east.

• Options

Trade War black swan building its nest

"There’s a big difference between confronting China today versus confronting, say, Japan in the 1980s. Remember when everything was made in Japan and the Japanese were buying up American icons like the Empire State Building and Rockefeller Center? But today, China has much more leverage than Japan ever had. China is also in a much more adversarial posture toward the U.S. than Japan was."

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

One clown to the next nothing changes just more debt. China's not the problem, the morons attempting to run the country are. Stack on!

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options

The issue with China has always been an asymmetric relationship vis a vis - giving up our trade secrets & know-how in return for access to their markets. Trump is no clown when it comes to finally having someone stand up for the US in this major screwing that has been going on for decades. Of course China has figured out debt, and now they are even bigger debt abusers than Uncle Sam. China is one of the problems, that's not to say that most of those running the country aren't morons.

The last time Japan was an issue was in 1941-1945.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    edited May 24, 2019 6:19AM

@jmski52 said:

The last time Japan was an issue was in 1941-1945.

Japan changed the American economy in the 70's/80's (Nissan, Toyota, electronics) just as free trade (under Nixon and not so "free") with China changed it once again. Efforts to change it back will release an economic black swan. Trade wars have negative consequences on economies.

As long as foreign workers do not have the same "protections" as American workers, there will always be outsiders willing to make and sell it cheaper to Americans. Tariffs on American imports are designed to remove the "cheapness" and keep Americans employed. Tariffs on American exports are retaliation. The war with China is well underway.

• Options

Japan started making transistors in the early '60s. Autos & motorbikes in the '70s. Everything else in the '80s.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    edited May 24, 2019 6:25AM

@jmski52 said:
    Japan started making transistors in the early '60s. Autos & motorbikes in the '70s. Everything else in the '80s.

Yes, but once they started flooding American markets they became an issue as a threat to American jobs and their economy. Look at how their automobiles alone forever changed the American car market.

Personally I welcome healthy competition in the market place. Unfortunately when it involves foreign producers it does so at an unhealty cost to American jobs as worker benefits/pay are not on a level playing field.

Tariffs were designed to level the playing fields. Unfortunately they have become tools of economic warfare and retribution.

• Options

Tariffs were designed to level the playing fields. Unfortunately they have become tools of economic warfare and retribution.

Tariffs were deployed because of the asymmetric inequalities that were allowed/promoted for decades by US "negotiators" with no real business acumen. Nothing is free, and for the longest time - borrowing against the future by issuance of debt has been able to mask the fact that productivity depends on actual work and capital, rather than upon "free money".

Hopefully, the US workforce and educational institutions haven't been permanently disabled by the disease.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    edited May 24, 2019 7:02PM

I agree, import Tariffs are a good thing for American workers. Unfortunately once the tariff war starts the export tariffs can kill the American worker. A tariff war spirals out of control until someone with a level head says "enough."
    In the meantime jobs are lost and uncle has to step in with subsidies to keep industries afloat. US Farmers are always the first to suffer. Their suffering always ends up being shared with the taxpayer.

Even if you eventually "win" the trade war it is going to be at a cost to the American worker who suffers through that war and to the American consumer who is forced to pay higher prices on imported goods. A lost family farm remains lost.

Anytime something designed to protect the host starts killing the host it's time to step back and re-evaluate the original goal. Sometimes there are better ways to reach that goal. A paradigm shift in international trade thinking might just find a better cure.

Commerce Dept joining the battle

• Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,954 ✭✭✭✭✭

I read on this board at the beginning of this year that Silvers low would be around $14.72. Well it crashed through that. How low will it go? And for how long?

• Options
    rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭

Way lower than you think and way longer than you think...

keceph `anah
  • Options

@thebigeng said:
    I read on this board at the beginning of this year that Silvers low would be around $14.72. Well it crashed through that. How low will it go? And for how long?

Lower and longer than the get rich quick buyers can handle.

• Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,954 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not worried one bit, let it be long and let it be low, just curious...

• Options

Is 25 greater than 45?

• Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

meanwhile, gold is up 15 dollars this morning

• Options

Fed Opens The Door For More "Unconventional" Measures

"The Fed Chair doubled down on dovishness when in opening remarks delivered to the Chicago Fed, Powell confirmed the Fed's openness to cut interest rates if necessary, stating that the Fed's unconventional tools are now conventonial and will likely be needed in some form in the future."

"Translation: not only is the Fed ready to cut rates, but it may take "unconventional" tools during the next recession, i.e., NIRP and even more QE."

Further proof that nothing was fixed, only postponed.

• Options
    edited June 4, 2019 10:58AM

Keystroking dollars into existence out of nowhere is already pretty unconventional, in my opinion. Besides the Fed, I wonder how many personal bank accounts also experience this marvelous method of money creation.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

Very good interview with Jim Rickards

"The proverbial punch bowl is now glued to the table and the Fed is forced to keep refilling it."

• Options

@jmski52 said:
    Keystroking dollars into existence out of nowhere is already pretty unconventional, in my opinion. Besides the Fed, I wonder how many personal bank accounts also experience this marvelous method of money creation.

Any of them with a credit card tied to the personal bank account. Credit cards are simply loans.

• Options

Sprott Money: Fed policy reversal now imminent

Provides a good summary of what is currently happening:

"As rates around the world collapse, capital is rushing into the US bond market. As US rates fall, the yield curve inverts. As the yield curve inverts, the US economy begins to contract. As the US economy contracts, inflation disappears and rates fall even further. And, in the end, The Fed is forced to reverse policy, cut rates and re-install QE and other "stimulus" programs. This scenario is precisely what we laid out for you back in January and you are now seeing it play out in real time."

• Options

• Options

meanwhile, gold is up 15 dollars this morning

And last night, Sunday evening gold is dropped by $12.80.

Strange how that happens.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

Economic systems have been destroyed by central bankers

". . . they have made it impossible for economies to let zombies go to die as they should. They have instead kept those zombies, banks, corporations, alive to the point where they are today a very big live threat to those economies, and growing. Look at Deutsche Bank."

• Options

Does the economy still suck in everyones back yard?

• Options

Is the FED still blowing a stock market bubble?