Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Do You Think There is a 1964-D Peace Dollar In Hiding?

BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

I personally think that there has to be one somewhere.

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon

Do You Think There is a 1964-D Peace Dollar In Hiding?

Sign in to vote!
This is a public poll: others will see what you voted for.

Comments

• Options

@BillDugan1959 said:
    Yes, they exist.

LBJ's family has several original bags of them.

Just not time yet.

You know what bill? Knowing a little about LBJ makes me have to agree with you.

Pete

• Options

@CaptHenway said:
    The poll should include the "Possible" and "Probable" options.

I vote possible.

I dunno........I think that one could construe that the "we'll probably never know for sure" could be considered a "possible or probable" option.

Pete

• Options
    ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭✭✭
    YES..........but we'll probably never know for sure.

Somebody needs to cough-up that bucket of 21 saints also.
    I'm not getting any younger here.
    Stupid hoarders

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

Until I see one, I'd have to say no.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,804 ✭✭✭✭✭

The OP said . . . "I personally think that there has to be one somewhere."

Mostly correct. There is one somewhere. And one other.

Drunner

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

You never know what you don't know right?

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,911 ✭✭✭✭✭

It would be great if some info appeared on these coins.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

more then likely yes but will more then likely never know

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

A dealer friend who died several years ago told me that he was approached by someone who had one. He said this person showed him the piece under secretive, hush - hush circumstances. This was before any of the Dan Carr copies were made, and the dealer was an expert in modern U.S. coins and not prone to telling tall tales.

Since I am going on hearsay evidence here, I don’t know anything for sure. I just relating a story.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,736 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, and it will come to light eventually.

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:
    A dealer friend who died several years ago told me that he was approached by someone who had one. He said this person showed him the piece under secretive, hush - hush circumstances. This was before any of the Dan Carr copies were made, and the dealer was an expert in modern U.S. coins and not prone to telling tall tales.

Since I am going on hearsay evidence here, I don’t know anything for sure. I just relating a story.

What state did this occur in? See me at FUN and we can decide if it was the same dealer.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

A likely suspect to have one would have been Coin World Editor Margo Russell, who was friends with Mary Brooks. However, I don't think she ever had one. Many years after I left CW I conveyed an offer to her on behalf of an interested party of $100,000 in gold bullion. She said that she did not have one.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

@Insider2 said:
    @CaptHenway said: "The poll should include the "Possible" and "Probable" options."

It should also include 100% yes!

While I never heard of the LBJ connection, my deceased boss held one (out of government control) in his hand around 1974. He did refuse to certify it and told the dealer if it was submitted we would be forced to turn it over to the Mint Lab.

Now THAT is very very interesting, Skip!

Pete

• Options
    Peace_dollar88Peace_dollar88 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭✭

PCGS offered $10,000 just to see one. none came forward that we know of... I would love to believe there are a few specimen's that made it out. I hope to see one someday.

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thevolcanogod said:
    Yes and after the 33 saints I hope they never come to light

This is the reason why they may likely never surface.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

Actually I do, and think for some reason it's or they are in Texas

Steve

Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NO..........They were all melted.

the stories given by members about the existence of 1964 Peace Dollars all have one thing in common, they would qualify as Urban Myths. the main concept or structure of an Urban Myth is to contain a reference like "I know someone who knows someone" or "someone told me about someone they knew" included as the basis for Proof. oftentimes, as in the BillJones example, one of the "someone's" has died so the Myth has to be taken on face value since it can't be disproved by aknown party. other times, like the CaptHenway example, when a Myth is constructed and a party to it can be questioned, the Myth falls apart.

Urban Myths tend to be grounded in our desire to believe a certain thing. we all(or at least many of us) want to believe that 1964-D Peace Dollars exist, so strongly that when evidence is presented as to why they don't exist it is rejected. those who believe that none exist, myself included, are scoffed at because we can't prove the negative. it is probably good for the Hobby to have Urban Myths associated with it, they strike me as a sort of Numismatic Religious Dogma. not believing in this most high of Myths will get you ex-communicated by some who do.

• Options
    edited December 31, 2018 12:23PM

@keets said:
    the stories given by members about the existence of 1964 Peace Dollars all have one thing in common, they would qualify as Urban Myths.

I could probably dig up pre-Langboard discussions about additional 33 saints.
    They are all conspiracy theories before being proven true.

I have an item that was only rumored to exist before the 1968 BATF amnesty act made possession of the item not a crime.

A presidential order might do it...Call it...
    "Amnesty for the repatriation of items of significant national interest"

• Options
    3stars3stars Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

I see a bunch of them for sale on ebay and occasionally on the BST.

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • Options

I could probably dig up pre-Langboard discussions about additional 33 saints

there was one known to exist so that speculation of more was reasonable. also, there was a paper trail from decades earlier which allowed for an idea of where they were at a specific time and provided a connection once they were uncovered. since hindsight is always 20-20 I am surprised the evidence of what happened in the mid-1940's was never followed to the coins.

we don't seem to have those kind of things with the Peace Dollar, or do we??

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hey, Skip. I know someone who once saw Big Foot while camping so they must also be real. Right? :D

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Possibly !!! ;)

Timbuk3
  • Options

Thanks Roger, I never knew that so it's all just a "MYTH" to me!

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

I guess the Denver Mint made a "myth-take" when they didn't count the coins.... :)

• Options

What have I started?

Pete

• Options

skip, or whatever your name is, if you're so butt-hurt by my reply I don't know what to say except "Deal with it" and move on. you could, of course, reveal all the myth-tique, or you could Team up with Roger and dig up the facts to lead to the specimens that still exist. no one doubts they were made, the question was who has one now, right??

as for me, I'll skip all that 'cause it just isn't important to me. thanks, though, for allowing me to rent the space in your head. I really trouble you for some reason and that amuses me.

• Options
    fiftysevenerfiftysevener Posts: 897 ✭✭✭✭

I know, I know you knew someone who had one but has anyone ever seen one ? Will my DCarr 64-D become a counterfeit if one shows up ?

• Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭✭✭

Overseas, I believe!

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    tyler267tyler267 Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 1, 2019 1:18PM

I certainly hope one exists, I have always loved the story of this coin

• Options

@WingedLiberty1957 said:
    This was a DCarr 64-D which Phil Arnold made a CoinFacts photo for me.

Mint mark is a little high for an original
    Disregard post

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well there's a whole bag of them on a shelf in a warehouse in Area 51. Happy New Year.

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭

Someone here with some clout needs to get chummy with his/her local Senator and pass some crazy bill to get these and some other coins out in the open. Maybe splits the revenue with the Mint after auction sale(s) and be done with it. It's crazy to have such incredible numismatic treausres languishing in sock drawers somewhere, when the collectors of the world could be enjoying them.

The entire Langborg trial makes me have a case of N & V!

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

No. Because nobody is foolish enough to show & tell. Or: Yes, but we'll never know.

• Options

@keets said:
    skip, or whatever your name is, if you're so butt-hurt by my reply I don't know what to say except "Deal with it" and move on. you could, of course, reveal all the myth-tique, or you could Team up with Roger and dig up the facts to lead to the specimens that still exist. no one doubts they were made, the question was who has one now, right??

as for me, I'll skip all that 'cause it just isn't important to me. thanks, though, for allowing me to rent the space in your head. I really trouble you for some reason and that amuses me.

Happy New year Mr. Keets. I especially look forward to enjoying more of your posts and those of two other "special" members. <3<3

• Options
    claychaserclaychaser Posts: 4,405 ✭✭✭✭

What would be interesting to know is the security procedures in place at the Denver Mint back then. If a worker could bring in a BU 1922 or 1923 dollar and substitute into the bin of 1964-D coins destined to be melted, how could it ever be noticed?

==Looking for pre WW2 Commems in PCGS Rattler holders, 1851-O Three Cent Silvers in all grades

Successful, problem free and pleasant transactions with: illini420, coinguy1, weather11am,wayneherndon,wondercoin,Topdollarpaid,Julian, bishdigg,seateddime, peicesofme,ajia,CoinRaritiesOnline,savoyspecial,Boom, TorinoCobra71, ModernCoinMart, WTCG, slinc, Patches, Gerard, pocketpiececommems, BigJohnD, RickMilauskas, mirabella, Smittys, LeeG, TomB, DeusExMachina, tydye
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

@claychaser said:
    What would be interesting to know is the security procedures in place at the Denver Mint back then. If a worker could bring in a BU 1922 or 1923 dollar and substitute into the bin of 1964-D coins destined to be melted, how could it ever be noticed?

As a rule Mint's have procedures in place to prevent workers from walking both into and out of coin production areas with coins in their pockets. I don't know what they were in 1965 when the dollars were struck, but when I took floor tours of the Denver Mint as part of the ANA Summer Seminar in 1976 and 1979-83, we had to leave all of our pocket change in sealed envelopes before entering the production area, and we left the production area through the same metal detectors that the employees left through. The metal detectors were pretty efficient.

I happen to have a tie clip with a British half Sovereign soldered onto it. When I got a VIP floor tour of the Philadelphia Mint in 2009 I absent-mindedly left it on the tie going in, and of course it beeped on the way out (as did the titanium pin in my leg, which the doctor swore would not set off metal detectors at airports). The security guard could see that it was obviously not one of theirs and waved it through. As I was putting my belt and shoes back on I kidded with him that that was probably the only coin to get out through this exit and he said "You may be right!"

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love a good mystery.... and have long been intrigued by the '64 D Peace Dollar story.... I will stand by an old refrain from the X Files or some alien mystery show..... "They are out there."...
    Cheers, RickO

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 1, 2019 9:51AM

I distinctly remember a Coin World article in 1965 that discussed the report of a few of these dollars leaving the Denver Mint. I was a collector at the time. It might have been Numismatic News, but I do remember the article. The number 300,000 comes to mind.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

The chapter in the Peace dollar book shows the assistant Coiner's accounting of bullion from beginning to end. Some, not all, of the security procedures are also described.

There are many stories, but not one has ever been validated or produced a genuine coin for examination.

The bottom line is that we'll never know if a genuine 1964-D dollar shows up until it "shows up." Various marked replicas and counterfeits, only confuse the ignorant.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file