Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Do You Think There is a 1964-D Peace Dollar In Hiding?

13»

Comments

• Options
    SweetpieSweetpie Posts: 466 ✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

@ReadyFireAim said:
    So who is going to be the numismatist that testifies on behalf of treasury leading to the destruction of a real 64-D?
    I mean...They all look like Carr coins to me B) [wink-wink]

I doubt the Treasury would destroy such a coin. Did they destroy any of the recently confiscated 1933 Saints? They would most likely lend it to the Smithsonian Institute for display.

Doutful, the government would store it in the same warehouse as The Ark of Covenant.

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Keets - "Roger, since other Nations had long since changed from Silver to CuNi or other compositions for coinage, why was the US slow to the party and decision more important?? it seems like with regard to this issue we followed when we should have led."

The US has been consistently protective of it's currency. Coins were for everyone to use and had to be a stable, reliable medium of exchange. As a representative republic, debate about currency is a matter of public record and thus subject to extensive discussion and broad attempts at influencing the outcome to benefit or harm one segment or another of the population. Where other nations hand monetary affairs largely by decree, we have multiple layers of discussion. Sometimes this is advantageous, and sometimes it is wasteful. But it is always an important part of economic life in a free, open democratic republic.

We are the only nation that has not repudiated prior issues of coin or paper currency since 1789. That makes us very different from others.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,097 ✭✭✭✭✭

Who/whom person or agency would be designated the authenticator if such an example should be brought forth? Would it solely rest on the Gov't deeming it real or not? Seems to me there would be a mad scramble to want to be the one to establish it being genuine, if nothing more than for personal gratification. If no second piece is at hand and not able to be used for comparison, does this make the authentication process more difficult? Wasn't there some disagreement in regard to one of the 1913 Liberty nickels being genuine at first?

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,718 ✭✭✭✭✭
    YES..........but we'll probably never know for sure.

@BLUEJAYWAY said:
    Who/whom person or agency would be designated the authenticator if such an example should be brought forth?

I'm guessing those that saw the hubs and/or dies a couple years ago at the mint (at the same time the 64 Morgan hub was discovered) would be able to authenticate it based on pictures they took, and would probably be called to do so on the QT.

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WingedLiberty1957 said:
    This was a DCarr 64-D which Phil Arnold made a CoinFacts photo for me. I submitted it as a Token hoping it would be slabbed (basically as a medal) but no luck. The Cert No was an archival number for the photo, it's not in the Cert Verif database for obvious reasons.

Appears counterfeit to me.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Appears counterfeit to me.

It seems, according to people who say it, that it's neither Genuine nor Counterfeit, but instead a third thing called Fantasy.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Records of the Mint Technology Office would be the primary information source with additional material from outside consultants.

• Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmski52 said:
    I distinctly remember a Coin World article in 1965 that discussed the report of a few of these dollars leaving the Denver Mint. I was a collector at the time. It might have been Numismatic News, but I do remember the article. The number 300,000 comes to mind.

thefinn
  • Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭

Too bad at least one can't be put in the Smithsonian and ANA collections.

thefinn
  • Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,043 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 25, 2024 10:39PM

There was a similar situation which occurred in 1949.

The San Francisco Mint struck 2,000,000 Mexican silver pesos dated 1898 as part of a shipment of coins to be shipped to Nationalist China whose soldiers were fighting the Communists. The Mexico City Mint produced the coin dies and struck 8,250,000 coins.

The San Francisco Mint coins were stored in a San Francisco bank but events moved too fast in China and the coins were sent back to the mint for melting. None of the San Francisco Mint pesos survived.

The Mexicans were more practical. The Mexico City Mint sent some of their coins to China, melted some, and stored the rest in various locations. Later some were sold to the public as silver bullion coins.

One can find them for sale, even PCGS certified examples:

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options

I voted for Yes (possible), I think there may still be one or a few out there in hiding...

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NO..........They were all melted.

None of the San Francisco Mint pesos survived

Willie, I can't believe that!!! B)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file