Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Post your favorite coin purchase of 2018

13»

Comments

• Options
    breakdownbreakdown Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭✭✭

Walkerfan,
    The strike on the top half of the obverse of that 19-D is outstanding. Definition on Liberty's head and separated branch hand for that issue is very uncommon. Nice looking coin in general. Great stuff.
    Enjoyable look through a lot of nice coins.

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 9, 2018 4:17PM

@fivecents said:

Love the look on this one! Been looking for a CBH myself. Congrats!

• Options

@Regulated said:
    I have two, and really can't decide which I like better.

1 - The unique hub trial for the American Congress Fugio dies - this is the earliest Fugio anything, and as such, is the first pattern for the first official circulating coin for the United States. It's almost as weird as I am:

2 - The 1803/2 $5 struck from misaligned dies that I was finally able to purchase from one of my close friends here on the forum. Also weird like me:

Amazing pieces @Regulated!

Love the first one as a trial piece. Love the second one as an issued coin!

• Options
    2ltdjorn2ltdjorn Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭

great coins, will have to look back and see what I got.

WTB... errors, New Orleans gold, and circulated 20th key date coins!
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sure is fun to see the wide variety of collecting interests and purchases for the year - sure would be boring if we all collected the same thing!

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

They say you can't live in the past. But this post makes for a nice visit

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 9, 2018 9:06PM

@breakdown Thank you, my friend. I knew you would understand and appreciate it. I always like to hear your thoughts, as your set was one of the best.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    BGBG Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Super coin all!!

photo RCNH 1923 Peace 1 Combo  BB.png

• Options
    KccoinKccoin Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

yup, still love old a$$ envelope toning

• Options
    sjcoinssjcoins Posts: 69 ✭✭✭

• Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1630Boston said:
    Bought exactly 2 coins this year [and sold nine], to acquire this and complete my set. :smile:

simply gorgeous. I need one for my set. Might take a while to collect the funds to get one, but when I do, I'd like it to look like this.

• Options
    PhilLynottPhilLynott Posts: 881 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:
    A Harold II English penny was my favorite purchase because it completed my “All Kings of England” set.

Love this idea for a set.

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ACop said:
    2018 was my best coin year by far. Started off slow and ended slow. But the middle had a lot of bangs. Got my first draped bust dollar. Near cameo WLH proof. PL Central American 8R. Bought my first ancient then bought my first 5 more. Some monster morgan toners and several medieval and South American crowns. But this was the clear winner for me.

Thank god for artificial toning AND the Big A. lol

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    cecropiamothcecropiamoth Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tough call, likely one of these two, both World coins.

Jeff

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PCGSPhoto said:
    Most of my Radiant Collection was acquired this year. I know it’s not a single item, but rather a bunch of items meant to be taken in as a whole. See the link to the showcase in in my signature (there’s a bunch of commentary that goes along with it).

Wow! Now that is radiant! Thanks for all the explanations it really helps in the understanding what is going on when they were struck.

• Options
    CWT1863CWT1863 Posts: 316 ✭✭✭✭

Tough decisions as I acquired many items this year. Here are my three favorites:

ANA-LM, CWTS-LM, NBS, TAMS, ANS

• Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,578 ✭✭✭✭✭

@sjcoins said:

So much interesting stuff happening on that obverse, it looks like fully half of the letters are repunched to varying degrees. Something else for me to look for. Thanks for sharing.

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options

@CWT1863 said:
    Tough decisions as I acquired many items this year. Here are my three favorites:

Great tokens @CWT1863!

I was wondering why you picked 1863 for your handle? I did notice it's the same date as on your Little Monitor token.

• Options
    CWT1863CWT1863 Posts: 316 ✭✭✭✭

@Zoins 1863 is the date that appears on many Civil War tokens. Other dates appear on Civil War tokens but the majority of dated ones have 1863. Some Civil War tokens do not have a date. The Cairo, Illinois Civil War token I posted above is an example of one that has no date.

ANA-LM, CWTS-LM, NBS, TAMS, ANS

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,376 ✭✭✭✭✭

I purchased this PCGS MS65 1926-D CAC Peace Dollar from Larry Shaprio as an upgrade to complete my set as all CAC Coins.

I had a PCGS MS65 not CAC in my set and have been looking for over 3 years for a CAC coin that I liked at a price that I could live with.

Thanks, Larry

My set: https://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistry/dollars/peace-dollars-major-sets/peace-dollars-circulation-strikes-1921-1935/publishedset/77979

GrandAm :)
  • Options
    mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, looks like a good many of us made some delicious acquisitions this year. Great stuff in this thread!

I bought two coins this year; of the two this one is far the more important. I looked so long for a Type 2 gold dollar with a look I liked at a price I could feel was fair.

mirabela
  • Options
    mightyhuntermightyhunter Posts: 476 ✭✭✭

I don't buy many coins for my Standing Liberty Quarter Registry Sets. They have to be exactly what I like. These two coins were both original AU58's in PCGS holders.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file