Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Paypal dispute over $1700 PSA card I bought on ebay that arrived cracked

And the card basically ruined. Might be worth $50 to $100. Huge crack in the bottom of the case.

Paypal wants a document (not from me) on how the item is significantly different than the item I paid for or detailing the extent of the damage.

I sent them pics of the auctioned card and the cracked card I received and a quote from PSA about how cards cant be repaired and its borderline fraud to do so.

Does PSA have a premade letter for this circumstance? What should I do?

Comments

• Options
    ElvisPElvisP Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭

Was the card damaged in shipping? Did the seller insure it?

• Options
    MrHockeyMrHockey Posts: 555 ✭✭✭

Call PayPal. You don’t need a letter to prove a smashed card is not as described.

• Options
    JewVolJewVol Posts: 110 ✭✭

@ElvisP said:

Yes. Yes. Fed Ex denied his claim. He denied my return through EBay. Ebay said go through PayPal.

FedEx said an animal bit it after I picked it up. I swear to god. Ill never do business with Fed Ex ever again.

Another question is...if you were the seller would you refund my money or do what this one is doing?

• Options
    FINESTKINDFINESTKIND Posts: 374 ✭✭✭

Tell Fed Ex it was their fault from when they bought Flying Tigers Air Freight company out.

• Options
    garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 16, 2018 1:14AM

I hate FED EX. I refused to do business with them years ago.

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,516 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is awful, what a huge pain in the rear end. The only potential problem with saying the card was not as described is the seller can claim he did his part by sending you the card as pictured without damage and what happened in transit or when it was opened by you is out of his control right? And to be honest I would not refund you either if I was the seller, if he did what he was supposed to do then it’s not on him. I always make my packages bomb proof and use USPS priority mail. I Never use Fed Ex. I wish you the best of luck with this

• Options
    tonylagstonylags Posts: 568 ✭✭✭

How about sending it into PSA and ask seller if he will split the grading fee with you. If he is reasonable I would think that is the least he can do.

I have to much S**t; so if you working on sets or are a player/team collector, send me your want list, with conditions desired. Keep in mind I have a another job so please allow me a few days to respond.

• Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did an animal really bite the package or is this them just trying to deflect blame? If so was it your pet?

• Options
    MrHockeyMrHockey Posts: 555 ✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    That is awful, what a huge pain in the rear end. The only potential problem with saying the card was not as described is the seller can claim he did his part by sending you the card as pictured without damage and what happened in transit or when it was opened by you is out of his control right? And to be honest I would not refund you either if I was the seller, if he did what he was supposed to do then it’s not on him. I always make my packages bomb proof and use USPS priority mail. I Never use Fed Ex. I wish you the best of luck with this

Naw, the sellers job isn’t just to put an undamaged card in the mail, it’s to ensure that it arrives safely. If anything happens before it lands in the buyers hand, it comes out of the seller’s pocket. Just the way it is, speaking as a long time TRS on eBay.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 16, 2018 7:34AM

mrhockey is correct. it is the sellers job to ensure the item arrives safely to buyer. I had a similar incident happen to me a while ago. I shipped a card usps in a bubble mailer with heavy cardboard affixed to either side. when buyer received the card the psa case was cracked in half. it was a < $60 card. It was my fault, so I refunded and received my now $2 card back in the mail. This is all part of the risk involved in selling through ebay.

eta: sorry, I thought you were the seller

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you spent $1700 on a card then you've spent quite a bit more on other cards. I'd be on the phone to eBay saying if you want to keep my business you'll do what you say will in every one of your listings and give me buyer protection. That's exactly what I said to them. I mentioned how much I spent in the last quarter and next thing I know I'm getting a refund.

You know have a friend that is a lawyer? A sternly-worded letter from a lawyer is usually enough to get stuff done, even if there's nothing actually behind it to back it up.

Arthur

• Options
    rcmb3220rcmb3220 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭✭

It doesn't seem like it should be this much hassle. What did you put down as reason for return? "Item arrived damaged" is the selection that should have been made.

• Options
    dmanricodmanrico Posts: 46 ✭✭
    edited October 16, 2018 7:10AM

Seems like there is more information that needs to come out in this particular case. Item arriving damaged is typically an easy open and shut case with eBay favoring the side of the buyer.

At $1700, signature is required by PayPal/eBay policies. How could FedEx claim an animal bit it? The damage would have been known at the time of the exchange/signature. Was the package ok at the point of signature?

• Options
    RookieHOFersRookieHOFers Posts: 733 ✭✭✭

@dmanrico said:
    Seems like there is more information that needs to come out in this particular case. Item arriving damaged is typically an easy open and shut case with eBay favoring the side of the buyer.

At $1700, signature is required by PayPal/eBay policies. How could FedEx claim an animal bit it? The damage would have been known at the time of the exchange/signature. Was the package ok at the point of signature?

This!! Something isn’t adding up to me. Getting a refund from EBay is a relatively easy process, let alone when a card arrives damaged.

Matt
    I collect: 80’s Rookies and 86 Fleer Basketball
  • Options

@tonylags said:
    How about sending it into PSA and ask seller if he will split the grading fee with you. If he is reasonable I would think that is the least he can do.

Its an 86 jordan psa 8 that now has a huge rip and tear on it. What would be the point of that?

• Options

@craig44 said:
    mrhockey is correct. it is the sellers job to ensure the item arrives safely to buyer. I had a similar incident happen to me a while ago. I shipped a card usps in a bubble mailer with heavy cardboard affixed to either side. when buyer received the card the psa case was cracked in half. it was a < $60 card. It was my fault, so I refunded and received my now $2 card back in the mail. This is all part of the risk involved in selling through ebay.

eta: sorry, I thought you were the seller

Whats crazy is it just came in a bubble mailer and the card was wrapped in bubble wrap. No cardboard at all. I send .99 cent cards daily and I wrap them more securely than this guy did.

Nuts he wouldn't even wrap it in cardboard.

If i sent a 1700 dollar card it would be friggin bomb proof.

• Options

@ReggieCleveland said:
    If you spent $1700 on a card then you've spent quite a bit more on other cards. I'd be on the phone to eBay saying if you want to keep my business you'll do what you say will in every one of your listings and give me buyer protection. That's exactly what I said to them. I mentioned how much I spent in the last quarter and next thing I know I'm getting a refund.

You know have a friend that is a lawyer? A sternly-worded letter from a lawyer is usually enough to get stuff done, even if there's nothing actually behind it to back it up.

Arthur

It's by far the most I've ever spent on a card. Im a lawyer tho so a letter will be an option if paypal doesnt help.

• Options

@rcmb3220 said:
    It doesn't seem like it should be this much hassle. What did you put down as reason for return? "Item arrived damaged" is the selection that should have been made.

Yes. And the seller denied it and ebay said paypal now handles it.

• Options

@dmanrico said:

I opened the package and immediately called fed ex and asked what to do. After fed ex denied the claim i went to the store and the woman remembered me immediately calling.

The seller's claim got denied. He has my money. He doesn't care anymore. Fed Ex is absurd and doesn't want to pay even tho he had insurance.

• Options

@RookieHOFers said:

@dmanrico said:

This!! Something isn’t adding up to me. Getting a refund from EBay is a relatively easy process, let alone when a card arrives damaged.

I agree. It's caused me a lot of stress. It's a tooooon of money for me.

• Options
    Mickey MaysMickey Mays Posts: 289 ✭✭✭

@garnettstyle said:
    I hate FED EX. I refused to do business with them years ago.

I too hate FED EX, parked their 30 foot long 8 thousand pound truck on my cement driveway ruined it.

• Options
    dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭

Seriously, what kind of animal can bite through a package and damage a PSA holder?

Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dennis07 said:
    Seriously, what kind of animal can bite through a package and damage a PSA holder?

He answered every question but mine. I would like to know if a dog bit the package. If so and it was his dog that changes things.

• Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

Where is the bubble mailer left by FedEx that an animal would even have access to it? It's a bubble mailer. This seems like it's a mailbox or between the screendoor/solid door dropoff.

I agree that something isn't adding up. There's a piece of information missing here.

Arthur

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

can we see a picture of the packaging/slab?

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 16, 2018 10:37AM

Return. If you can provide original listing we can chime in better.
    @JewVol With a army of scam artist out on ebay using the refund & return policy as a means of income
    it is no wonder that it was rejected. I dont blame the seller because Fedex backs them as delivered as required. However, you have the repeal process to still try. Most claims over 500.00 have to go past 2 times before it is toast.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    81 Topps Guy81 Topps Guy Posts: 228 ✭✭✭

Almost every seller I’ve received cards from ships in a bubble mailer, rarely is there cardboard used. Did the package looked damaged when you received it? For a case to be cracked I would think there were some visible signs of damage

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭✭✭

This reminds me of the old cartoon where the student tells his teacher"My dog ate my homework". Hope things work out the best for you.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    georgebailey2georgebailey2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭

@dmanrico said:

Six responses to other comments but none regarding this one or Dpeck's.

Good luck.

• Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

I received a card with a small crack on the border from probstein123 a few weeks ago. I am pretty sure it never happened during shipping because it was wrapped with 3 inches of bubble wrap

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,233 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 16, 2018 12:44PM

@georgebailey2 said:

@dmanrico said:

Good luck.

JewVol's last activity on this forum was at 11:45 this morning,could be he just missed dpeck's question and hasn't seen the other yet.

edit:just noticed the other question was from earlier too.

• Options

@Dpeck100 said:

@dennis07 said:

He answered every question but mine. I would like to know if a dog bit the package. If so and it was his dog that changes things.

Possible but i doubt it. I received the card damaged. I got it from a fed ex store.

Most likely what happened is a heavy object smashed into it. More likely than an animal bite is the seller accidently damaged the card then sold it that way. Highly unlikely either way.

Dude spent $$$ on insurance and the package was damaged as well. Circular damage like a pole or something round smashed the package.

• Options

@craig44 said:
    can we see a picture of the packaging/slab?

Yeah man. Will post some tonight.

• Options

@81 Topps Guy said:
    Almost every seller I’ve received cards from ships in a bubble mailer, rarely is there cardboard used. Did the package looked damaged when you received it? For a case to be cracked I would think there were some visible signs of damage

No visible signs of damage really until you really look at the outside of it very closely. Certainly nothing that would stand out to every reasonable person. The Fed Ex Manager nor myself noticrd it til i opened it.

I use cardboard and receive cards in cardboard way more than not btw.

• Options

@georgebailey2 said:

@dmanrico said:

Good luck.

The pics will explain. No it wasn't noticeable really at all.

Will post later.

• Options

The card.

The package as it was. Note the half circle that is circled. I had to detach it then fully open up the envelope. Keep in mind I was just so excited to see the card I didnt even notice that.

I opened it up noticed the card was cracked then looked at the package and saw the inside not folded over looked to me like during transit a pole or something blunt and circular like that hit the package and caused the half circle and the damage.

They shipped it in a flimsy bubble mailer.

• Options

@georgebailey2 said:

@dmanrico said:

Good luck.

Yeah and 20 responses to mine with not one answering my question about does PSA have a premade letter.

Good luck.

• Options
    PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hell, I won't even send a $200+ card in a bubble mailer with cardboard around it. I will spend the extra and go with a small flate rate priority mail box . Over $1k it is going to have to be run over by the truck carrying it the way I package. This should all be on the seller.

Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • Options

@PROMETHIUS88 said:
    Hell, I won't even send a $200+ card in a bubble mailer with cardboard around it. I will spend the extra and go with a small flate rate priority mail box . Over $1k it is going to have to be run over by the truck carrying it the way I package. This should all be on the seller.

It's negligent on their part.

• Options
    tigerdeantigerdean Posts: 903 ✭✭✭

My rule of thumb is that if it has to be signed for then it needs to be inside a box, bubble wrapped, and have cardboard around the card. If it doesn't need signed for and it is damaged then send it back and it is my responsibility to refund the buyer and then kick myself in the ass for not packing it better.

• Options

I can't figure out why the hell the seller didn't send the card REGISTERED ?

• Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭

@JewVol said:

@ElvisP said:

Yes. Yes. Fed Ex denied his claim. He denied my return through EBay. Ebay said go through PayPal.

I can’t believe ebay would tell you to go through PayPal.

You paid for a item and it arrived not as described.

This is on eBay because they have the guarantee.

They should refund you after you return the item and the seller should have to try and get his money from the insurance.

Who ever you talked to at eBay was WRONG!

• Options
    tonylagstonylags Posts: 568 ✭✭✭

I agree; I would contact ebay again, item was not as described and return to seller. To protect yourself, I would package in front of a usps or fed ex employee. Good luck
    PS. If I were the seller I would be pi**ed off at fed ex and probably never ship ground again for an expensive item. Lesson Learned.

I have to much S**t; so if you working on sets or are a player/team collector, send me your want list, with conditions desired. Keep in mind I have a another job so please allow me a few days to respond.

• Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,091 ✭✭✭✭✭

Another option would be, if you paid with a credit card, to go through the card's issuer.

Steve

• Options

@basketballcollector said:
    I can't figure out why the hell the seller didn't send the card REGISTERED ?

Not familiar with that term?

• Options

@SDSportsFan said:
    Another option would be, if you paid with a credit card, to go through the card's issuer.

Steve

Thats my wildcard.

I just cant believe of the 100+ cards I've bought it's gotta be the 86 Jordan.

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JewVol said:

>

I just cant believe of the 100+ cards I've bought it's gotta be the 86 Jordan.

I know what you mean. In 20 years, the one package I had a serious problem with (though it was ultimately found) was a 25 card PSA sub of non-trivial value.

• Options
    SdubSdub Posts: 736 ✭✭✭

This sucks. Although I had no idea the '86 Jordan pas 8 was going for $1,700.

Collecting PSA 9's from 1970-1977. Raw 9's from 72-77. Raw 10's from '78-'83.
    Collecting Unopened from '72-'83; mostly BBCE certified boxes/cases/racks.
    Prefer to buy in bulk.
  • Options

@Sdub said:
    This sucks. Although I had no idea the '86 Jordan pas 8 was going for $1,700.

That makes it even worse because that's the low end for a decent centered 8.

• Options
    vols1vols1 Posts: 764 ✭✭✭

The FedEx website has clear instructions that says box fragile items with 3" of cushioning. If the seller didn't package it correctly then FedEx won't cover the insurance.