Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

AU55 Gold CAC vs AU58 Green CAC

drddmdrddm Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 15, 2018 3:33PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Which would you rather own?....and Why?

I happen to have a coin in a PCGS 55 holder that I’m pretty confident would get a Gold CAC sticker if sent in.

I also have a good feeling that it would upgrade to 58 at PCGS if sent in for regrading, and then get green stickered at CAC.

I know this thread is worthless without pics, but I’m hoping to get some opinions on which way to go.

Thanks in advance,
Dave

Comments

• Options
    RexfordRexford Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd rather have my coins in slabs that reflect their true grade.

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 15, 2018 3:41PM

If it's in an old holder, I'd leave her be.

If a recent holder, send it to CAC to see how it beans. If it is gold, great - I'd then keep it as is since gold beans are marketing goldmines when it comes time to sell. If green you can always send it reconsideration (won't reholder unless upgrades) to PCGS and if it upgrades, you can resend to CAC which may result in another green. Happens all the time.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    jonrunsjonruns Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great advice from the last two posters...however I'm skeptical that any one can accurately predict a Gold sticker...no matter how monster the coin...

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

As you know, Dave, I made that decision with an NGC 55 gold sticker, in favor of a PCGS 58 (later, a 58+ green sticker).

So I'll take the 58 green over the 55 gold.

Who knows...maybe the upgrade to 58 will earn gold?
    Lance.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

A gold sticker ... maybe I can get MS money for it ... I'm rich, I'm rich!!!

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,732 ✭✭✭✭✭

I dunno. If it's something you're looking to sell, you'll probably do better with a gold sticker, but thinking it will upgrade is very different than actually getting the sticker. Ownership adds a point, you know....

If it's just a coin for your collection, why worry about it? You already know it's a nice coin, right? It's OK to have a few undergraded coins in the collection.

• Options
    AlexinPAAlexinPA Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's yours to decide. Either way, good luck. :)

• Options
    david3142david3142 Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭✭✭

I suspect the gold CAC AU55 is worth more given that anyone who is chasing the 58 grade will assume the upgrade and resubmit themselves and you still have the people that go crazy for gold beans leaving the AU55. Of coure, there are other possibilities - it could go AU58+ (or maybe MS!) or you could get a green bean on the AU55 that PCGS would still call a 58.

• Options
    aclocoacloco Posts: 952 ✭✭✭

If selling, 55 & gold sticker. Why? For some, intrinsic value of a gold sticker.

NOT a hack at CAC.....just an observation about people and GOLD CAC stickers on slabs - they pay more than the next grade up.

Successful BST transactions with: jp84, WaterSport, Stupid, tychojoe, Swampboy, dragon, Jkramer, savoyspecial, ajaan, tyedye, ProofCollection, Broadstruck x2, TwinTurbo, lordmarcovan, devious, bumanchu, AUandAG, Collectorcoins (2x), staircoins, messydesk, illini420, nolawyer (10x & counting), peaceman, bruggs, agentjim007, ElmerFusterpuck, WinLoseWin, RR, WaterSports, KeyLargRareCoins, LindeDad, Flatwoods, cucamongacoin, grote15, UtahCoin, NewParadigm, smokincoin, sawyerjosh x3
  • Options
    SiriusBlackSiriusBlack Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭✭✭

What's the difference in Gold vs Green CAC stickers?

Collector of randomness. Photographer at PCGS. Lover of Harry Potter.

• Options

Lots of good advice. Still undecided though.

Will revisit this thread at a later time when I decide what to do with this coin and let you all know how it played out.

Dave

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd go wth the 55 gold sticker, good luck on your decision !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    lusterloverlusterlover Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭✭

@SiriusBlack said:

Gold means undergraded by at least the next grade up.

Having said this, I've wondered about the OPs question as well. Since gold means at least next grade up, you could have a 63 possibly be a 65 or 66 (I've seen it happen, especially with OGHolders). So if selling, are you potentially leaving money on the table with the gold sticker if it only sells for the next grade up?

• Options
    RegulatedRegulated Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

In my experience, it is virtually impossible to get a gold sticker on an AU55, unless the coin is full-on BU. It the coin in question is a very choice 58, it will green sticker.

What is now proved was once only imagined. - William Blake
  • Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,447 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll take anything without the cac. I already paid once for a grade, why on earth would I want to pay again for a second?

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    StaircoinsStaircoins Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭
    edited October 15, 2018 6:26PM

I faced a similar decision in the early days of CAC when an AU53 coin of mine was awarded the then-exceedingly-scarce gold bean.

I chose to leave the coin as it was rather than go for what I felt was a strong shot at AU55.

The bean drew almost as much attention as the coin, and the coin was a stunning example of beautiful southern gold. In hindsight, I made the right call.

• Options
    santinidollarsantinidollar Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

It may be six of one and half dozen of the other, but the gold CAC sticker will intrigue a lot of folks if you try to sell it, I would guess.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would leave it as is.....However, I do not sell coins, and as @TomB said, liquidity is important. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some people become irrational when they see a gold CAC sticker. Once in my life I was one of them. I would say that a gold CAC AU-55 might bring more than a green CAC AU-58.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    jonrunsjonruns Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

This coin (from the SteveBen collection) got a green sticker as a NGC AU58...then crossed at PCGS AU55 and got another green AND a post-it note from someone at CAC that said "Wow"...but no gold...

It has been my experience that Gold is given out very infrequently...which is why some people see to go a bit crazy when they see one...agree with BillJones on his assessment...

• Options

Just how infrequent are Gold CAC stickers given on coins?

Is there anyway to find out?

Dave

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭✭✭

@drddm said:
    Just how infrequent are Gold CAC stickers given on coins?

Is there anyway to find out?

Dave

Go here to calculate! :)

https://caccoin.com/pop-report/

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 16, 2018 3:14PM

@lusterlover said:

@SiriusBlack said:

Gold means undergraded by at least the next grade up.

I have a H10C PCGS AU58 Gold CAC...so should that be a MS60??? No thank you.

According to the CAC data base...it is only one too...for the date / mm.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭✭✭

Which ever option is the least trouble; why crack nice coins out of nice holders hoping for higher grades if you already have a good grade and a sticker from the extremely fussy cac people?

• Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,417 ✭✭✭✭✭

I need to see the coin before saying anything further in the matter. The few times I have entirely trusted someone else's opinion on a coin, I regretted it.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options

Go for the Gold !!!

• Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

You must remember, a gold sticker means the coin is AT LEAST one full grade better than the number on the slab. Accordingly, just based upon that fact alone you gotta go with the gold. Additionally, the gold bean often triples (or more) the value of the coin in question.

No brainer.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file