Home U.S. Coin Forum

Why don't dealers have stands or banners at shows?

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 13, 2018 9:03AM in U.S. Coin Forum

It struck me when seeing a recent photo of a coin show, that coin shows look nothing like any other show I attend. All the tables look almost the same from a far. I've been to a lot of non-coin trade shows from small to large and one thing that is common is that companies have booths or stands to help them stand out.

Why is that and would having something help? I was thinking it might help for coin photography, showcasing coin focus (e.g. types, colonial vs. classic vs. modern, US vs world), book signing, etc.

At sci-fi events, authors generally have large posters up with their photo and name. They do things like sell autographed photos and photo/book signings.

At corporate events, companies have everything from small vertical stands to full-on booths. A small banner stand can start with the following:

Comments

• hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have often thought the same thing.

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

I attended many million square foot trade shows in Vegas and Chicago. Electronics, house wares and hardware. Places had multi storied displays, celebrities and models. Walked by Brooke Shields one lucky day.

At any rate, most of the merchandise was crap. They needed the smoke and mirrors to grab the attention of attendees. With coins, the merchandise talks. Simple is best.

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 13, 2018 10:17AM

@Coinstartled said:
    With coins, the merchandise talks. Simple is best.

I’m sure some people have a few go to dealers they seeks out but how do you find new dealers you may want to spend time with in all of that? There are a lot of dealers there!

• CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭✭✭

Collectors are wired into values through auction prices realized and other sources. As a result the market simply doesn't tolerate the overhead to mount fancy displays. If you look at any other trade show, it's unlikely you have an equivalent knowledge of vendors' acquisition costs.

• RegulatedRegulated Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭✭✭

We have mustard-stained Hawaiian shirts. Isn't that enough?!?

David McCarthy - Kagin's - IG: X_COINNERD_X

What is now proved was once only imagined. - William Blake
    edited October 13, 2018 9:58AM

I was thinking it would be great, for example to go by and see a banner with great colonial coins for CRO, or gold for DWN, with additional items like coin photography, book signing, etc.

This way just by walking around, you can learn which dealers have things that match your interest without having to have take time out for a discussion or examine a case.

edited October 13, 2018 10:18AM

@Regulated said:
    We have mustard-stained Hawaiian shirts. Isn't that enough?!?

Maybe I'm thinking too high end, but I was thinking of something like a Versace jacket with a photo of the dealer's most famous coin on the back. Of course, it would suck to get mustard on that :D

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,406 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some them have banners that they hang up in back of their booths. For a lot of dealers, it's one more thing to pack, perhaps on a plane flight, and not really worth the bother or expense.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
    edited October 13, 2018 10:22AM

@BillJones said:
    Some them have banners that they hang up in back of their booths. For a lot of dealers, it's one more thing to pack, perhaps on a plane flight, and not really worth the bother or expense.

That's certainly a consideration. To be useful, it would have to provide value in generating more sales. The thought is that it could get more relevant people to the booth, whether they already know about the dealer or are new to the dealer. Ideally, it would also drive people to follow the dealer's website or eBay store long after the show.

• ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 13, 2018 1:07PM

Because they're cheap.

:p

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,770 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think that is a great thought :smile:
    I have no answer :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those custom printed banners aren't cheap. Even vinyl cut-letter banners aren't cheap.

There used to be a Texas coin dealer who had a large yellow vinyl banner which hung behind his booth at coin shows. The banner made his booth very easy to find. The banner touted his willingness to buy - and he did make offers, at about 20% of the prices that every other dealer on the floor was willing to offer. This fellow covered a large territory for many years.

• blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,900 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some shows limit what banners can be used as the block the line of sight view for the security teams.

http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 13, 2018 10:46AM

Yup..blue moon coins ;)

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
    edited October 15, 2018 7:53AM

My briefcase was never that loaded!

• CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,249 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm going to get one of those banners that is like a roll up window shade.

At the top in BIG BRIGHT letters will be L@@K!
    I'll figure the rest of the banner out later.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭✭✭

In not cost it’s that traveling dealers just don’t have the room to make one more item

Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com
  • SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,868 ✭✭✭✭✭

I noticed the same thing looking at the M.O.O.N. show post.

Nothing like N.W. shows.

Maybe it's the show organizers but most all dealers, in and out of towners, have signage of one type or another.

• knightemknightem Posts: 125 ✭✭✭

@blu62vette said:
    Some shows limit what banners can be used as the block the line of sight view for the security teams.

It's in the dealer contract that you cannot have banners bigger than xxx behind your booth. So since it's a hassle to have a banner that would "fit" all of the different shows parameters, it's easier to not have one. That's why most dealers that want signs use a table runner instead.

• OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ya, to me it would block and obstruct your view as well as security cams

Steve

Promote the Hobby
  • CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@Coinstartled said:

I’m sure some people have a few go to dealers they seeks out but how do you find new dealers you may want to spend time with in all of that? There are a lot of dealers there!

>

I start with the dealers that have food...

• RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

A coin show is more closely related to a flea market or jumbles than a professional organization trade show. The first focus on selling stuff; the latter on marketing products. I often feel few in the numismatic business understand the difference.

• GotTheBugGotTheBug Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 16, 2019 4:04AM

• ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:

@Zoins said:

@Coinstartled said:

>

I start with the dealers that have food...

I look for the candy bowls.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

edited October 13, 2018 1:13PM

@RogerB said:
    A coin show is more closely related to a flea market or jumbles than a professional organization trade show. The first focus on selling stuff; the latter on marketing products. I often feel few in the numismatic business understand the difference.

Well, I did mention sci-fi shows too and those have a focus on selling things as well. From a security perspective, there's no need to see the entire floor because booths have backdrops.

• bidaskbidask Posts: 13,830 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@Coinstartled said:

Maybe reference the coin show program?

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• RayboRaybo Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OPA said:
    Yup..blue moon coins ;)

More cleavage and I would be like a moth................

• CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think this might be a natural for some dealers (after adding a zero or three):

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@blu62vette said:

Show security is the principal reason. Lots of dealers ask for a wall so they can have a display.

• ebaytraderebaytrader Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭

Banners are size restricted along with large objects for security reasons. Security providers want an unobstructed line of sight for observation.

• ColonialcoinColonialcoin Posts: 617 ✭✭✭✭

Buy the coin, not the banner!! ;)

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

I look down at the coins on the tables in the displays. I would look up if a bird s##t on my head. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• MartinMartin Posts: 813 ✭✭✭✭✭

C'mon guys I'm a sign guy and I need to eat too. Buy some signs and banners

Martin

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Many dealers do have signs... Charmy, The Penny Lady does, as do others. Coin shows, however, are not trade shows....Companies have a large budget for advertising and show booths... I attended trade shows for years, and my company spent a bundle on booths. Cheers, RickO

• MeshMesh Posts: 86 ✭✭✭

forget the banners, bring out the NEON

• RittenhouseRittenhouse Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

Banners, neon? Pfft! Pole dancers.

• MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,366 ✭✭✭✭✭

Reeded Edge has a banner that stands out. I always look for it at shows.

Spring National Battlefield Coin Show is April 12-13, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

The first time I went to a trade show the booth babes and flashy advertising were plenty interesting. After that, it’s just something that’s in the way of actual business. Simple seems to be best. Something along the lines of Charmy’s sign is about right.

• Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

Shows have rules against banner / sign size etc.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file