Home Sports Talk
Options

Does Drew Brees' passing record push Joe Montana back to second in the GOAT discussion?

13»

Comments

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

That was a bad pass by Brady, I’m one of the few Pats fans that does not blame Welker for not catching that.

I've never understood Welker getting crap for not catching that pass. It was high and behind him. Yeah, he's going to catch it most of the time but that throw was not accurate.

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:

@erikthredd said:
    Former Pistons PG Isiah Thomas,who was 6-1 180lbs during his playing days, was another guy smaller than Curry that had another stellar season and his size never hurt him.
    Then you had John Stockton 6-1 175lbs.

Zeke developed that awesome high arc mid career.

No,Zeke was really good from the start of his NBA career,it was his team that didn't hit its peak until mid career.

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, we can all agree that my new Maris rookie in the October pick up thread is pretty nice looking, right?

All I ever wanted was the Pats fans to acknowledge that Joe Montana should be considered as in the discussion for GOAT with Tom Brady - who is 100% in the discussion. Seems most have. You can have him number one - totally. For the record, I’d have a problem with people who argue for Joe Montana as stand alone as well. ‘Clear cut’ is not correct to me

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believed Montana was the best for years even up to half way through Brady’s career. I can’t be any more straight up about it.

• Options

@1951WheatiesPremium said:
    Well, we can all agree that my new Maris rookie in the October pick up thread is pretty nice looking, right?

All I ever wanted was the Pats fans to acknowledge that Joe Montana should be considered as in the discussion for GOAT with Tom Brady - who is 100% in the discussion. Seems most have. You can have him number one - totally. For the record, I’d have a problem with people who argue for Joe Montana as stand alone as well. ‘Clear cut’ is not correct to me

Montana absolutely belongs in the discussion for Goat,as does Manning,Elway,Marino,Brees or whoever someone thinks is deserving of the title. For me its Brady because of his rings plus where he ranks currently in most career passing lists. He'll be top 2-3 in most of those major categories by next season if he isn't already. Someone else may have Manning or Montana ahead of Brady and thats fine with me. Its all opinions anyways.
    Great looking Maris,are you gonna try crossing to PSA?

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 16, 2018 4:43PM

@erikthredd said:

Montana absolutely belongs in the discussion for Goat,as does Manning,Elway,Marino,Brees or whoever someone thinks is deserving of the title. For me its Brady because of his rings plus where he ranks currently in most career passing lists. He'll be top 2-3 in most of those major categories by next season if he isn't already. Someone else may have Manning or Montana ahead of Brady and thats fine with me. Its all opinions anyways.

Ultimately, yes. Thinks it keeps its 7? Corners are a touch soft but the card is missing most of the issues that plague the card - clean border, well centered reverse, no snow, super nice focus, no major pink spots or fish eyes and solid but not perfect centering for the year of issue.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options

@erikthredd said:

Ultimately, yes. Thinks it keeps its 7?

Honestly I don't have much experience with vintage cards but it looks really good for a 60yr old card. Good luck,its gonna look great in a PSA slab.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

@erikthredd said:

Ultimately, yes. Thinks it keeps its 7? Corners are a touch soft but the card is missing most of the issues that plague the card - clean border, well centered reverse, no snow, super nice focus, no major pink spots or fish eyes and solid but not perfect centering for the year of issue.

Beautiful card, I had to go check it out. As far as it crossing I can’t say that it will be easy with a touch of soft corners, they are really hard on corners but it definitely deserves a crossover in my opinion. Again beautiful card bud

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@erikthredd said:

@Coinstartled said:

@erikthredd said:
    Former Pistons PG Isiah Thomas,who was 6-1 180lbs during his playing days, was another guy smaller than Curry that had another stellar season and his size never hurt him.

No,Zeke was really good from the start of his NBA career,it was his team that didn't hit its peak until mid career.

He was an all star his entire career. During the second championship run he showed up with a new rainbow arc that could not be defended.

• Options

And as a side note-Justacommem will be disappointed that the disagree option has been discontinued.

:)

• Options

@Coinstartled said:

@erikthredd said:

@Coinstartled said:

@erikthredd said:

He was an all star his entire career. During the second championship run he showed up with a new rainbow arc that could not be defended.

The point of my original comment went way over your head,all three players I mentioned were all smaller than Curry and their size was never an issue playing in the NBA 30 years ago. Curry's size wouldn't be either.

• Options

...and my point had to detour around your head.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think sometimes that rings won is not useful in a who was the greatest debate about team sports athletes. tennis, wrestling, boxing etc. it makes more sense to include titles won. In all the team sports, it takes much more than one player to win a title, even though QB is the most important position, a QB alone cannot win. look at Brady's 500 yard super bowl performance last year.

for example, I have never seen anyone better at playing the quarterback position than dan marino. however, he is normally ranked below montana, brady, manning, elway and others. as great as he was, is there any doubt he could have won a ring with the 49'ers, broncos, or any number of championship teams? If ranking QBs on skill alone, I really dont see anyone any better than dan. he only lacks the team accomplishment.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,233 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:
    I think sometimes that rings won is not useful in a who was the greatest debate about team sports athletes. tennis, wrestling, boxing etc. it makes more sense to include titles won. In all the team sports, it takes much more than one player to win a title, even though QB is the most important position, a QB alone cannot win. look at Brady's 500 yard super bowl performance last year.

for example, I have never seen anyone better at playing the quarterback position than dan marino. however, he is normally ranked below montana, brady, manning, elway and others. as great as he was, is there any doubt he could have won a ring with the 49'ers, broncos, or any number of championship teams? If ranking QBs on skill alone, I really dont see anyone any better than dan. he only lacks the team accomplishment.

If you watched all the above mentioned QB's play but didn't know their playoff records/championships won, I'm betting Marino would be at the top of most peoples lists.

Championships won is a poor way of determining a GOAT in team sports.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set