Home U.S. Coin Forum

Who here still drinks, or remembers Labatt's Beer?

coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,715 ✭✭✭✭✭

I generally do not drink much, but I do enjoy a beer once in awhile. Growing up in Cleveland I remember Labatt's beer.
Along with Miller High Life my father and brother drank Labatt's
So when I came across this advertising token I immediately identified with it. Besides my love for all the
different Expositions I just thought this was so very cool.
I also had no idea of the very long history this guy, along with his company had
LInk here
I was reading that in 1934, millionaire brewer John Sackville Labatt was abducted at gunpoint by three men who initially demanded a ransom of $150,000
On Aug. 14, 1934, as J. S. was returning to his London, Ont. office from a cottage on Lake Rosseau, near Bracebridge, the young brewmaster’s life was forever changed. Shortly after leaving his cottage, his car was forced to stop by another vehicle. Labatt was abducted at gunpoint and forced to write a letter to his brother, telling him to go to Toronto’s Royal York Hotel and await further instructions.
.You can read the rest here

John Labatt (1838-1915) was awarded this gold medal for best ale and porter at the 1901 Pan-American Exposition, which was held in Buffalo, N.Y
The designation for this token is:
PAN-AMERICAN EXPOSITION - LAVIN 1901 NY L-TM41 JOHN LABATT 29MM MS

Comments

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,921 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember ads for it, but nothing more.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭

I always picked up a case or two of Labatt's at duty free when driving back from Montreal...decent beer

• tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 1, 2018 1:55PM

Drank it when I lived in upstate NY.

It appears it is still available nationwide, even here in Atlanta..... now part in InBev

https://www.labattusa.com/beer/labatt-blue/

edited to add that I really like that medal a lot.

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• JeffersonFrogJeffersonFrog Posts: 865 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do. Growing up, I spent many a summer in Toronto with my grandparents. Grandpa drank beer, Molson's and Labatt's.

What a cool medal too. Kinda looks like the Buffalo before the Buffalo and the SLQ before the SLQ.

Is the token now yours? If so, congratulations.

If we were all the same, the world would be an incredibly boring place.

Tommy

• gonzergonzer Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do know Molsons is the oldest brewery in N. America.

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,746 ✭✭✭✭✭

Perfect timing. I do remember Labatts label. However, I do not drink anymore and haven't for years. But, just picked up a 6 pack on the way home from the DENTIST just now. I'm drinking again.......ease the pain.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 1, 2018 2:35PM

One summer, about 1980, I stayed at the University and picked up a few credit hours in the summer session (I also had a very good job as a guard at a University Museum).

The local Osco had a summer-long sale on Canadian beers. Very very cheap. Molsons, Labatts, and a few others whose names escape me (Moosehead?). The Osco would run a sale on each brand for about two weeks. Labatts was very tasty. That summer a bunch of us lived in a large house about ten blocks from Campus and just four blocks from the Osco.

We also had a lot of products from Wisconsin (Monroe Wisconsin?) including the blessed Rhinelander beer, which cost about $3.99 per case of 24.

The OPs' token is very nice and desirable.

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't remember the beer, but I do like that token, great find !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • AotearoaAotearoa Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭✭✭

Long ago in a place far away... Labatts 50 Ale was my beer of choice.

Smitten with DBLCs.

• BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 1, 2018 3:28PM

I had standards... Genesee Cream Ale not that Labatts Horse output....

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,376 ✭✭✭✭✭

Only when in Canada - didn't know it was available in the US.

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko, Big Moose.
  • LeeBoneLeeBone Posts: 4,416 ✭✭✭✭✭

Labatt Blue....I have some in my fridge, ice cold and ready to go! :)

• ajaanajaan Posts: 17,352 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BStrauss3 said:
    I had standards... Genesee Cream Ale not that Labatts Horse output....

Very bad memories with too much Genny Cream. :s

Did you live in upstate NY?

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • BGBG Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Had some in Philadelphia many moons ago.

• RonyahskiRonyahski Posts: 3,117 ✭✭✭✭✭

What's that buffalo looking at?

Some refer to overgraded slabs as Coffins. I like to think of them as Happy Coins.
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

Drank my share of LaBatt's and Moosehead in high school, during our Canadian kick. Take off eh hoser!

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• RegulatedRegulated Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

Growing up in Buffalo, NY, Labatt Blue and Molson Golden were like mother's milk to me.

I haven't had a beer in about 17 years, but bad Canadian beer fueled my teens and early 20s. Really cool token - I love Pan Am Expo goodies!

What is now proved was once only imagined. - William Blake
  • coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,715 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Ronyahski said:
    What's that buffalo looking at?

.Well, I would assume at the same as in the official Pan American medal, but thats too obvious :p:D

• 1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,416 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep, pick up a case of Labatt Blue about once a month.

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 1, 2018 4:09PM

Did a couple years up at NMU in Marquette, Labatts was one of the staples. Still get it once in a while here in Ga.

That’s a cool medal!

• spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 1, 2018 4:23PM

When I lived in Edmonton, Labatt's was pretty much in every bar, like Bud here in the US. I like strong beers so I preferred something else. Of course, in Alberta, Big Rock Brewery ruled back in those days. But I don't recall having a BR token to match the excellent one CRF posts above. Nice token!

Best, SH

My online coin store - https://www.desertmoonnm.com/
  • sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 1, 2018 4:51PM

Blues and Blue Lights are still are staples around here.

Edit: Excellent medal!

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• cohodkcohodk Posts: 19,044 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never went ice fishing without it.

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,424 ✭✭✭✭✭

“Make it a Blue, ehhh!”

I always thought it tasted better North of the border, but maybe it was my imagination.

Successful BST transactions with 171 members. Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • ZsmartieZsmartie Posts: 135 ✭✭✭

When I was younger and did test a few beers once in a while, we had a saying "I would rather have a Labatt in front of me than a frontal lobotomy."

• ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭✭✭

As hockey season starts, you'll see plenty of LaBatts ads.

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,882 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stopped drinking many years ago, especially after a 1955 doubled die cent started to look like a quadruple die. :)

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,278 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 1, 2018 7:35PM

When bar-hopping back in the day, Labatts Blue was always on special. I liked it a bit better than Budweiser, which was another crowd-pleaser. Decent beer.

Sometimes, it’s better to be LUCKY than good. 🍀 🍺👍

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947):

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• StrikeOutXXXStrikeOutXXX Posts: 3,352 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice medal.

And... living near Buffalo, Labatt’s is on draft in nearly every bar/club around here. I killed many kegs of it back in my 30’s

------------------------------------------------------------

"You Suck Award" - February, 2015

Discoverer of 1919 Mercury Dime DDO - FS-101
  • mrcommemmrcommem Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭✭✭

neat medal. I just bought a 6-pack of Labatt's Blue today. It is rather difficult to get Molsen or Labatt's in St. Louis County, MO

• lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 8,160 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never was a big Labatts fan... but I do like that medal!!

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,514 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t consider Labatts beer.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 1, 2018 9:22PM

<3 Beautiful gold medal .....very European; provocative nude femme overcoming the bull ;)
    The design we will never see from US Mint .... ever :)

• mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember it well.
    I never was crazy about it but would drink it if it was bought on someone else's dime. :)

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Didn't bother much with the beer when we went to Canada. Looked for Reas cigars instead.

Some of the best pilsner in my opinion is in Bohemia but that's a little out of my way. :)

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

That is a cool rig. Wonder if any survived? I can imagine it would be worth much more than when first built.

• OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1Mike1 said:
    That is a cool rig. Wonder if any survived? I can imagine it would be worth much more than when first built.

Just look up Labatt's beer trucks, they had so many type's that were so art deco in the 30's and 40's and many still survive

Steve

Promote the Hobby
  • DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,287 ✭✭✭✭✭

As a kid (1960's) I remember my Dad drinking Red Cap or Black Label beer and smoking Rothman's cigarettes.

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,289 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cohodk said:
    Never went ice fishing without it.

We used to call it ice drinking as we accomplished more drinking than fishing.

Drank a ton of Labatts and Molson when I lived in Michigan for 35 years.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ChangeInHistory said:

Up until a year ago I worked in sales for a beer distributor - the Labatt 18 bottle carton with the knit hockey cap were always popular in the fall - lots of the caps were taken from the cartons before they were sold.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,289 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SaorAlba said:

@ChangeInHistory said:

Up until a year ago I worked in sales for a beer distributor - the Labatt 18 bottle carton with the knit hockey cap were always popular in the fall - lots of the caps were taken from the cartons before they were sold.

Were they toques?

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was never much of a beer drinker - I like it, but it bloats me quickly. Whereas wine, well, no limit there.... :D That is a beautiful gold medal.... Cheers, RickO

• SoCalBigMarkSoCalBigMark Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gives me the shudders, warm Labatts in the arctic watershed of Canada when we ran out of proper beer while fishing for Walleye.

• BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SoCalBigMark said:
    Gives me the shudders, warm Labatts in the arctic watershed of Canada when we ran out of proper beer while fishing for Walleye.

It's also good if you run out of milk as a Labatt poured over cornflakes is the breakfast of champions! ;)

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file