Home U.S. Coin Forum

Who here still drinks, or remembers Labatt's Beer?

2»

Comments

• OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

LaBatt's (and Molson) products are readily available in Western and Central NY. In my area, the big supermarket chains generally price it slightly below Bud and Miller.

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • SiriusBlackSiriusBlack Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never heard of it, I guess it isn’t Southern California friendly. :( Token is sweet though!

Collector of randomness. Photographer at PCGS. Lover of Harry Potter.

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,234 ✭✭✭✭✭

i remember labatts beer. it was pretty good.

• SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

Before I discovered coins I was collecting beer bottle caps with Kentucky Derby winners on the inside.
    My Grandpa drank enough Ballentine beer that I got all the winners up until the early sixties.

He also drank Rheingold Beer and I developed quite an interest in the annual Miss Rheingold competition. :)

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working" Pablo Picasso

• BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1630Boston If only the lady in the first commercial looked a little bit more like Elizabeth Montgomery!

• coinpro76coinpro76 Posts: 366 ✭✭✭

I live in Vancouver Canada about a 20 minute walk from the Molson Brewery that makes Labatt, unfortunately both owned by inBev now a terrible company that has bought out a lot of beer brands and cheapen the recipe.

The John Labatt Standard Gold Label is a fantastic beer, if you can ever find it. Labatt blue is great and the Labatt 50 is good too.
    I dont drink anymore but sometimes if I need a beer I will buy the 0.5% Labatt Blue, it is the best de-alcoholized beer on the market available in Canada IMO

all around collector of many fine things

• coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,715 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you everyone for the very nice comments. I was surprised about the history of him being kidnapped
    but really like the link I provided on the history of the company.
    Sure its not the same any longer but not much is nowadays. However it is nice to reminisce :)

Since you guys liked the beer award so much I will be posting a certain Whiskey advertising token that also has much history and controversial as well.

• SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

Labatt used to be quite an exotic imbibery when I lived down south. Now here in the NE of the USA it is so common and I miss Shiner Bock and Lone Star beers.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,326 ✭✭✭✭✭

The team my daughter played for had a soccer tournament in Canada and I remember drinking it on tap not bad.
    My favorite Canadian beer was Molsons Ale.

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 32,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love that beer truck!

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • au58au58 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:
    I grew up in Detroit watching Hockey Night in Canada and of course remember the Labatts ads, but the Molson’s ads were classier.

Grew up in the same part of the country. Not only were the ads better, the beer was better.
    Never turned down a free Labatt's though.

• IntueorIntueor Posts: 310 ✭✭✭✭

In 1966, I was a freshman at Parsons College in Fairfield, Iowa. My folks lived in Syracuse, NY. On holidays, the Parson’s students from upstate NY would pile into cars and drive straight through the 1,500 mile, 18-hour trip on I-90. We were all 18-year-old college kids and Ohio was a 3.2 state so every trip we took a break at the Maumee truck stop. Picture Bob Seeger’s – “Turn The Page”. They served pitchers of Labatt’s 3.2 beer with a burger and fries for $2.00. Gas was $0.33 cents a gallon! The rest of the ride home was great. We got to know the rest stops pretty well.

unus multorum
  • cohodkcohodk Posts: 19,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

Its great at hunting camp too!!!

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Broadstruck said:

It's also good if you run out of milk as a Labatt poured over cornflakes is the breakfast of champions! ;)

I saw a guy do that at the Riverside International R a c e w a y around 1974. Only he used Budweiser over CoCo Puffs. He was a good friend. Died at 53. I guess he used the wrong brew on the wrong cereal. Oh well, R.I.P. David. We all saw it coming.

• goodmoney4badmoneygoodmoney4badmoney Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭✭✭

About 20 years ago myself and a couple friends used to drink LOTS of Labatt Blue. The liquor store down the street that I frequented used to order 1 case a month until I started showing up, then it was 8. The owner would sometimes sing the old Batman jingle substituting Labatt for Bat to me. i.e. "dunanunanuna Labatt-man!"

• thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,782 ✭✭✭✭✭

I could drink it as a kid. It was everywhere. Probably the least expensive beer here.
    I can't take it anymore. A headache in every can for me. I'll take a Canadian (Molson), any day.

• dave700xdave700x Posts: 59 ✭✭✭

It was one of my beers of choice when I lived in Upstate NY along with anything that said Saranac on the label...

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,882 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beer: "I drink beer" "I like beer" "I still drink beer". Sound familiar?

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,882 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dave700x said:
    It was one of my beers of choice when I lived in Upstate NY along with anything that said Saranac on the label...

How about Genesee, Utica Club, and going way back Schaefer and Dobler?

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • mustangmanbobmustangmanbob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lots of unique brews up in the northeast.

But I have been dry for 40+ years, as the time I drank too much, it was green tracers and an OH-58 going down, and I just didn't want those thoughts uncontrolled again.

• BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cohodk BTW, great cabin AND great sign on your cabin!

• ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2, 2018 8:17PM

:)

• leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

I liked it back in my day. But in my teens, a older guy I worked with, he collected beer cans. A couple times a year on a Friday, he would bring cases of foreign beer into the shop for us to drink. We always had to open the cans from the bottom because he'd want the tabs to remain intact. But a lot of that beer was just awful, really strong, thick, black, bitter. Some of it would really get your gills moving but we'd growl, shrugged it off and kept on drinking.

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file