Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Why is ICG in the second tier with ANACS?

BUFFNIXXBUFFNIXX Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know that NGC and PCGS are in the top tier and are considered the cream-de-lar creme of the grading services.
In the so-called second tier is ICG and ANACS
I could never figure out how ICG got there so quickly. All I can remember is they came on the seen and in no time or so it seems to me they were up there in tier two with anacs who had been around forever. How did they do it? Smoke n mirrors or what.
Any information would be appreciated.
Of course below ICG and anacs is everyone else in tier three.

Collector of Buffalo Nickels and other 20th century United States Coinage
a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"

Comments

• Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

My guess is a lot of staff (experienced graders) went from one of the services to the other, and a relocation change to boot with some of the same folks a few years ago. Just a wild guess

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

Who is considered better at grading ancients ? ICG or NGC?

Not sure why PCGS is not in the ancients coin grading market.

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 30, 2018 4:41PM

ICG was respected for grades on classic coins but, in an effort to get into the modern bonanza, they chose to be super loose with modern 70 grades. Now that the moderns market has cooled off, I’m not sure if they still grade like this.

I don’t have manny ICG coins but I’m a fan of the ICG holder which is smaller and fits in one’s hand well.

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bidask said:
    Who is considered better at grading ancients ? ICG or NGC?

Not sure why PCGS is not in the ancients coin grading market.

ICG no longer does ancients. I believe JP did them for ICG and I would trust the opinion of David and Barry at NGC over that of JP. I've only seen about a dozen ICG ancients in a slab. They all looked fine in every respect to me but I hated that old ugly label they used.

Ancients is a very demanding field. While I was at the ATS they would not do any "new" field w/o getting a good handle on it. That's why they were very slow to do paper money, tokens and medals, ALL major varieties, and ancients. PCGS better get into the field and make sure they do it "right" if they do.

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OPA said:
    I may be wrong, but when ICG & ANACS traded locations, as far as I was concerned: ICG became the new ANACS & vica versa. The original ICG, in my opinion, had a very conservative, that was almost equal to PCGS, grading mindset for classic coins.

You are correct IMO.

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,868 ✭✭✭✭✭

,, because of their mass grading of moderns for the television hawkers.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

Acronyms are overrated.

• Options
    burfle23burfle23 Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have had many of my lower grade early coppers graded and authenticated by ICG; their service is head and shoulders above the others in my opinion- where else can you actually speak to a grader during a submission if there are questions? The pricing is better and the turnaround times as well, and I have had no issues with grades. In my latest collection direction I have utilized their counterfeit holders, which are the only ones in the industry- I am a fan.

• Options
    burfle23burfle23 Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:

It was around this negative period that I stated to see changes. ICG wasn’t quite as strict, and they made some embarrassing errors. I remember at a show that a dealer bought an ICG graded an attributed a very worn Bust Half Dollar that IGC attributed rare Overton variety. It turned out to be a very common variety in low grade. Making mistakes like that hurts your image.

I know this isn't the forum to discuss TPG mistakes, but we could talk at length about that topic off-line. The silver lining is the TPG's reputation and guarantee to remedy them when they happen.

• Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

Also, with what's mentioned above, as a dealer it cost me just as much to send a coin to anacs or icg than it does NGC or fairly close enough to PCGS. Why spend the money for their grading , when the coins bring much less on market anyhow.

• Options
    edited September 30, 2018 4:13PM

@Smudge said:
    I wonder what that Franklin that sold for $110k at auction the other night would have brought in an ICG holder.

Depends on how much of the price was for the color and the grade. If it was all for the color, then perhaps the same or near the same? If a significant portion was for the grade, then perhaps very different.

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

A local dealer was able to get a better deal than ICG offers several times at Anacs, I mean who else does gold coins for under $10 a pop? But the grading is no better than how accurate they are every day, and whether their grading is backed by a real guarantee. But I don't trust NGC or PCGS either for truly objectively backing their grading with a money guarantee. When I had a gold coin near $3000 bid that was in a PCGS holder judged as "tooled" by cac/JA, the best that PCGS would offer on the coin in their holder was $1000 less than bid. NCG also will bs on why an over-graded coin is according to them ok for grade, they aren't going to admit they made a clear mistake usually. ICG has the weakest guarantee because I have seen too many lightly cleaned coins, etc., with nice grades on the holder, I can see netting some coins down, but many are given a pass that shouldn't be straight graded. And though Skip/Insider is accurate on his grading, he only does the preliminary coin analysis, which is not an easy job. He is not the finalizer, and a concern would be that the business manager lets some coins get the straight grades or higher than warranted by the ANA standards.

• Options
    edited October 1, 2018 9:10AM

@jdimmick said:
    Also, with what's mentioned above, as a dealer it cost me just as much to send a coin to anacs or icg than it does NGC or fairly close enough to PCGS. Why spend the money for their grading , when the coins bring much less on market anyhow.

Please explain how $10/coin and 5-day turnaround is more expensive than the two major TPGS's you use.

@Smudge said:
    I wonder what that Franklin that sold for $110k at auction the other night would have brought in an ICG holder.

We'll never know as CAC does not sticker ICG coins. It may have only graded 66+ due to the marks. I suspect the price is for a Registry competition.

• Options
    chumleychumley Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭✭

well I just got a complete education ICG...thank you all

• Options
    SoCalBigMarkSoCalBigMark Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't forget DGS, some sweet coins in those holders!

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SoCalBigMark said:
    Don't forget DGS, some sweet coins in those holders!

I don't see very many of them anymore. I wonder what percentage of them have already been cracked/crossed.

• Options
    edited September 30, 2018 10:09PM

@LincolnCentMan said:
    I wouldnt put ICG at the same level as ANACS. To me the tiers go something like this:
    PCGS: Tier 1
    NGC: Tier: 1.2
    ANACS: Tier: 2
    ICG: Tier: 4
    SEGS: Tier: 4
    ACUGRADE: Tier: 10... better off raw.

Having said that, I'm happy to buy anything PQ in any holder. Well, except ACCUGRADE which I wont buy out of principal. That wouldn't stop me from buying the coin if the dealer cracked i out, though.

David

What does ANACS do better than ICG?

I've seen a number of ANACS "done for TV" type of modern deals which is why I associate them together.

• Options
    LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭

_What does ANACS do better than ICG?

I put what I see from ANACS higher than what I see from ICG. This is a personal perception and others may not agree. I'm more than happy to accept others may put ICG higher than ANACS.

David

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

....but I like baseball medium rare ;)

@3keepSECRETif2rDEAD said:
    ...the chop house serves dry aged PCGS with 3 cuts of NGC...ANACS and ICG are fit for a good ground chuck burger cooked medium-rare...the rest go in hotdogs; lips, eyelids and buttholes and there is plenty of it ;)

• Options
    AlexinPAAlexinPA Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

I only ever bought two ICG slabs in my life and I will never buy another. One, a ICG graded AU 53 1875 CC Trade Dollar and two, an ICG grade EF 40 1874 CC Trade Dollar. Both came back from NGC and PCGS as 'Details' Cleaned. In other words I was out the money I paid for two Carson City coins. I may be harsh but personally I would never trust an ICG slabed coin.
    :'(

• Options
    AlexinPAAlexinPA Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

PS: My coin dealer, who I trust explicitly, has an ICG gold $2 1/2 graded EF. He has graded it VF and 'cleaned'.

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 1, 2018 2:34AM

This is a bit troublesome:

peacockcoins

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is Bluesheet still listing Anacs and ICG slabs on its pricing?

• Options
    hutze1nmhutze1nm Posts: 235 ✭✭✭

I for one have always said that I love ICG. My first submission was to them and my most recent submission is set to be shipped today I believe. Customer service, value, and turn around times are second to none. Like someone else remarked -where else can you speak directly with a grader?- it’s just unparalleled.

Things I like to do: Collect PL Morgans. That’s is all.
  • Options
    92vette92vette Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

Years ago I submitted the King of silver eagles to ICG. I have strong reason to believe doing so, instead of submitting to pcgs, cost me at least $60K. :|:|

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like ICG and I can not lie :)

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    jtlee321jtlee321 Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

@afford said:

@jtlee321 said:

@cameonut2011 said:

@BUFFNIXX said:
    I know that NGC and PCGS are in the top tier and are considered the cream-de-lar creme of the grading services.
    In the so-called second tier is ICG and ANACS
    I could never figure out how ICG got there so quickly. All I can remember is they came on the seen and in no time or so it seems to me they were up there in tier two with anacs who had been around forever. How did they do it? Smoke n mirrors or what.
    Any information would be appreciated.
    Of course below ICG and anacs is everyone else in tier three.

Don't get too caught up on plastic and stickers. I happily cherry pick ICG, ANACS, and even yes, SEGS/PCI/other slabs. There are plenty of dogs in those holders, but the same could be said for PCGS and NGC. Overall, I think historically NGC and PCGS have been tighter, but I haven't paid attention to the latest grading trends at ICG and ANACS. I always focus on the coin.

I could not agree more. I love cherrypicking nice coins that people pass over simply because of the plastic. Take this ICG coin I just bought on eBay. Most would call it dreck, but I happened to love the eye appeal and that it's an unattributed RPM. So a nice attractively toned 1938-D/D in MS-66 for $35.00? Yes please.

But notice that is in an older ice holder when they were accurately grading coins.

Oh, I had no idea what generation of holder it was. I will have to look up the different generations. Thank you for the information, I appreciate it. :)

• Options
    edited October 1, 2018 9:36AM

...the chop house serves dry aged PCGS with 3 cuts of NGC...ANACS and ICG are fit for a good ground chuck burger cooked medium-rare...the rest go in hotdogs; lips, eyelids and buttholes and there is plenty of it ;)

Actually, the meat is the same. You just pay more for it at the chophouse and the chef does not come out to your table to say hello, see how you are doing, and leave you a personal note! :p

@AlexinPA said:
    I only ever bought two ICG slabs in my life and I will never buy another. One, a ICG graded AU 53 1875 CC Trade Dollar and two, an ICG grade EF 40 1874 CC Trade Dollar. Both came back from NGC and PCGS as 'Details' Cleaned. In other words I was out the money I paid for two Carson City coins. I may be harsh but personally I would never trust an ICG slabed coin.

Unfortunately, you did not remove the coins before trying for a cross. :( What do you expect? A top TPGS is NOT going to let you know a second tier TPGS knows how to grade.

@braddick said:

The corrosion was NOT on the coin when it was graded so your post is of little value when evaluating a TPGS. However, I'm glad you posted it. It lets us know to monitor or coins both raw and slabbed. This is common on ancients. In fact last week I looked at two of my Greek bronze coins from Syracuse and both had deteriorated. One cannot be saved but I conserved the other. Hopefully, it will remain stable for a few years.

@92vette said:
    Years ago I submitted the King of silver eagles to ICG. I have strong reason to believe doing so, instead of submitting to pcgs, cost me at least $60K. :|:|

That is a very tough lesson! :(

I thought every experienced and knowledgeable collector/dealer/investor knew that a coin in a PGCS slab generally brings more than an NGC slab which beings more than an ICG slab...etc.

• Options

PS

I hate these discussions about TPGS. They all make label mistakes, and they all make authentication and grading errors. I don't allow this in class because it would take the entire week to hear all the stories!

If you have a problem, get it fixed. No TPGS wants an error holder out in the market.

• Options

@Insider2 said:

Actually, the meat is the same. You just pay more for it at the chophouse and the chef does not come out to your table to say hello, see how you are doing, and leave you a personal note! :p

@AlexinPA said:

Unfortunately, you did not remove the coins before trying for a cross. :( What do you expect? A top TPGS is NOT going to let you know a second tier TPGS knows how to grade.

@braddick said:

The corrosion was NOT on the coin when it was graded so your post is of little value when evaluating a TPGS. However, I'm glad you posted it. It lets us know to monitor or coins both raw and slabbed. This is common on ancients. In fact last week I looked at two of my Greek bronze coins from Syracuse and both had deteriorated. One cannot be saved but I conserved the other. Hopefully, it will remain stable for a few years.

@92vette said:

That is a very tough lesson! :(

I thought every experienced and knowledgeable collector/dealer/investor knew that a coin in a PGCS slab generally brings more than an NGC slab which beings more than an ICG slab...etc.

I consider myself fairy experienced and knowlegeable, on moderns anyway. I submitted it to icg with the thought that they would be lenient and give it a PR70, which were fetching slightly higher bids on ebay than the PR69 tier 1 TPG's at the time. They didn't -- actually it came back from icg a couple points lower than 70. I have a strong hunch it ended up in a PR70 DCAM pcgs holder shortly after that.

• Options
    edited October 1, 2018 10:07AM

@92vette said: "I consider myself fairy experienced and knowlegeable, on moderns anyway. I submitted it to ICG with the THOUGHT that they would be lenient and give it a PR70,"

I grade at ICG. "Lenient? " OVER MY DEAD BODY. What a slur. Not if I saw the coin. "Lenient" is not in my dictionary. Think I want to screw the next buyer of that coin? I have the buyer and seller in mind. For that reason, as far as I can tell, we grade everything as we see them.

@92vette continued."...which were fetching slightly higher bids on ebay than the PR69 tier 1 TPG's at the time. They didn't -- actually it came back from ICG a couple points lower than 70. I have a strong HUNCH it ended up in a PR70 DCAM pcgs holder shortly after that."

Hunch? Based on what? Your knowledge and experience thinking your coin was actually a 70? I shudder to think that you believe PCGS would be "lenient!"

• Options
    edited October 1, 2018 10:59AM

I'm not an expert coin grader. I do have some knowlege and experience of the market though. I say 'hunch' because I cannot prove the coin ended up in pcgs 70 holder but I have strong circumstantial evidence it did. So maybe 'hunch' is not an accurate term.
    Were you grading at ICG about 5 years ago?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file