Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Please talk me out of this

Comments

• Options
    MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,416 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you want it, go for it.

Spring National Battlefield Coin Show is September 5-7, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

If, in your opinion, the price is more than you are willing to comfortably pay for a coin with these issues, than pass. A fair price is what you are comfortable with... if not (and it sure seems as if you are not) , then pass. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is this coin raw or slabbed and, if slabbed, who slabbed it and what grade did they give it? I don't like the rim damage near the date which is a prime focal area but it comes down to price. If it's cheap enough, I like it.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

Link it , so we can talk you out of it :#

• Options
    DaveWcoinsDaveWcoins Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭

@BillJones said:
    Most every Chain Cent has some issue. The ones that don't usually go for "moon money" above the published catalog amounts, even if they are in Fine condition. JJ Tea Party had one like that at the Summer FUN show.

Here's the one in my set, purchased raw years ago. There is a very old scratch across the Obverse that I can live with. The mark at 8k is a die break and the one 4k is, I believe, a struck-though. It's in an NGC VF holder and most of the PCGS VF graded Chains that I have seen are no better. The positives are the color and the smooth, hard surfaces.

Nice color and smooth surfaces on that S-4, Bill!

Dave Wnuck. Redbook contributor; long time PNG Member; listed on the PCGS Board of Experts. PM me with your email address to receive my e-newsletter, and visit DaveWcoins.com Find me on eBay at davewcoins
  • Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

These things were largely pulled from circulation in the 1850, as agitation increased for a small cent, and more people became interested in collecting coins.

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,925 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 31, 2018 10:36AM

@PerryHall said:
    Is this coin raw or slabbed and, if slabbed, who slabbed it and what grade did they give it? I don't like the rim damage near the date which is a prime focal area but it comes down to price. If it's cheap enough, I like it.

It appears to be a newer PCGS holder; see the clear prongs at 12, 4 and 8 o'clock? XF Details, Rim Damage, I would guess.

I would say PASS...not the check book, but on the auction bid...unless it was a steal, which I doubt.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,505 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DaveWcoins, do you remember the one you showed me from Harry Liabstan's inventory a few years ago? Now there was a coin! It was marked $150,000 and probably worth it since it had zero problems and just a touch of wear.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it's details, I personally would pass.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

do as your heart tells you

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does not look like a scratch to me Bill; however you have the coin.

OP, a "little birdie" made me edit out my short reply to your question. :)

• Options
    ColonialcoinColonialcoin Posts: 625 ✭✭✭✭

The fact that you are asking the question regarding the Chain cent tells me what you should or should not be doing.

• Options

@Colonialcoin said: "The fact that you are asking the question regarding the Chain cent tells me what you should or should not be doing."

Let's keep that a secret between ourselves. :)

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,739 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder, does the OP’s coin have a reverse???

• Options
    carabonnaircarabonnair Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BryceM said:
    I wonder, does the OP’s coin have a reverse???

If this is the one, I think it is a nice chain...

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 31, 2018 12:37PM

The rim damage is noted on the holder, as it should be, which will eliminate most of the “yahoo bidders” who believe everything they read on the holder. I saw one recently with rim damage that was only a little less than what you see here. It was not mentioned at all.

In addition the coin does have some porosity, which is not unusual for a mid 1790s cent. The features are all bold on the piece, which is a big plus. It is the die state with the chain from the reverse showing in front of Ms. Liberty’s neck and face. This is variety and die state that some people say was the source of the comment, “Liberty in chains.”

The is the Sheldon 3 variety, the so-called "leaning R." It is the most common Chain Cent variety.

Good luck! I hope it works out for you, however you want it to be.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    savitalesavitale Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

PCGS XF Details. I understand the holder influences the price. But it’s not the holder I like. It’s the coin. I want to decide based on the coin.

• Options

@gtstang said:
    Pictures are free so make it your screensaver and you can look at it every day!

This is a very fiscally-responsible suggestion!

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,925 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is not the worse looking Chain Cent that I have seen, a couple strokes of a fine toothed file should knock those rim dings down a notch.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭✭✭

I never buy problem coins but given its age and history; it is almost acceptable.

It has amazing details, the color is good and the surfaces are above average.

It's a lovely Chain.

I don't think that buying it would be a bad idea, especially if you really like it.

Good luck in your decision.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a great opportunity if the price is okay. I suspect that this may do better than most details coins. A a very acceptable (IMO) details qualifier, honest circulation bump, not cleaned or messed with, nothing bad in focal areas, pretty clean surfaces, just plain lovely to me. Sorry I can't help dissuade you.

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

From what I've observed in MOST Chain Cents, I wonder if it was a felony to NOT use them til they were nearly obliterated.

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,888 ✭✭✭✭✭

Who doesn't love chain cents? It's the lowest grade coin in my collection (FR2). But it is a straight grade. LOL.

The rim damage of this example would bother me. As well as the old verdigris spots in the lower hair. But if you love it and the price is terrific, jump!
    Lance.

• Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am not a fan of buying problem coins that will be a problem forever. While many problem coins can and do come back OK upon further review, those dents are never going away.

• Options
    au58au58 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭

@Colonialcoin said:
    The fact that you are asking the question regarding the Chain cent tells me what you should or should not be doing.

It's worse than that. If you already have reservations, you will be kicking yourself after you buy it.

• Options
    JustMe2JustMe2 Posts: 179 ✭✭

I have one of these. Don't like the purple stuff on the back. My main rule on spending on coins is to assume that you will get zero for it when you sell it. I will most likely die with every coin I every purchased.

• Options

OK, some of you are doing a good job talking me down from the ledge. Others, not so much.

In lower grades, these coins are just plain ugly. Historic and still awesome, yes, but ugly. When I look at this one I don’t see ugly. Dang, I wonder if I’m in love?

• Options

@oih82w8 said:
    That is not the worse looking Chain Cent that I have seen, a couple strokes of a fine toothed file should knock those rim dings down a notch.

Hmmm... Anyone know a good coin doctor?

(Just kidding)

• Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, I would call almost any coin with rim dings a problem coin but the Chain Cent to me is in a whole different category.. Thick and crudely struck and Americas early coinage..I like the detail, I like the color... kinda.... The green spot in the center bothers me a little. I like the strike, the rim dings really only effect the obverse.. all that said.... I would pass. For that amount of money I would buy one with maybe less detail but sound nice rims, a decent strike and perfect color, no green spots...

• Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

@savitale said:

@oih82w8 said:

(Just kidding)

Go to an ANA Summer Seminar, and you will find one. (I'm not kidding.)

Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the color, and the details are amazing. I could live with the rim hits if the price was good. The only thing that would prevent me from pulling the trigger is the corrosion. Green patches are my line in the sand for early copper pieces. Happy hunting...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    ilikemonstersilikemonsters Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭

I see corrosion. Run away.

How'd I do?

• Options
    bigmountainlionbigmountainlion Posts: 203 ✭✭✭

XF details can sell for over $10k

• Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭

Thanks for the education billjones.

Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

PLEASE TALK YOURSELF OUT OF IT!

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

IMHO it is so much money for the chain penny and it's not even nice :/ You can do much better with that kind of $$$

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

@savitale said:

@oih82w8 said:

(Just kidding)

Allen Stockton (crs-stockton.com) is a professional coin repair expert that does amazing work that's virtually undetectable.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

@Sonorandesertrat said:

@savitale said:

@oih82w8 said:

(Just kidding)

Go to an ANA Summer Seminar, and you will find one. (I'm not kidding.)

LOL, it can be easily fixed but a jerk with a file will REALLY ruin it.

Actually, you'll find quite a few professionals at Summer Seminar who qualify and I'm NOT kidding. Any long-time famous dealer better know some tricks. I'd love to name some famous numismatists who would qualify.

Look, there are "coin o:) doctors" and "COIN >:) DOCTORS". I even consider myself a "rookie" coin o:) doctor as I can usually make coins look better. The difference should be fairly clear but unfortunately it gets blurred when intent, degree, and method of changing the coin's appearance (all alterations) are considered. If you can detect the appearance of a coin has been changed is it altered? Of course it has. Is it a "bad" or "good" change? Was it done to fool someone? Who are you to judge intent? See what I'm saying? NEW DISCUSSION ALERT :p

• Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

The intent is quite clear, and I am waiting for an interesting, new thread.

Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

As they say, "The devil is in the details."
    "Detail" on a slab is a devil.

It will not go away. Unless you exorcise the coin from the tomb and even then it may still get that detail devil back.

I avoid "Detail" coins.

But you don't have to.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file