Home U.S. Coin Forum

Which Buffalo to keep for type set? (Not Safe For Ricko)

TetromibiTetromibi Posts: 940 ✭✭✭✭✭

I ended up with two Buffalo's for my toned type set, and I can't decide which one to keep. Which would you keep? Neither are CAC (no clue if they've been sent or not, I just liked the coins.)

1.) 1935-S PCGS MS67

2.) 1938-D/D PCGS MS67+

The spot on the second one isn't as distracting in-hand as I thought it would be. But it's definitely there. Both look amazing in hand.

Comments

• HallcoHallco Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

• gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

2 looks to have more pop and better struck.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Number two has the better strike/detail... Cheers, RickO

• fiftysevenerfiftysevener Posts: 896 ✭✭✭✭

Although 35-S is far more scarce I like it better than spotted 38-D even though its fully struck. Both have very attractive toning !

• CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

No 2 by a long shot. Nicer color. That hit of the Buffalo's gut on No. 1 is distracting.

• gtstanggtstang Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭✭✭

Although number two has a better strike, In my opinion, the carbon spot is distracting from the overall aesthetic of the obverse. I choose number one.

• cardinalcardinal Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 21, 2018 8:27AM

Number 2. In hand the carbon spot will be tiny, but the rest of the coin would beam with great luster, color and sharpness of strike. (On the first one, the upper feather is devoid of any detail. I'll take the spot to get the full detail and color of the second one.)

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,412 ✭✭✭✭✭

id take the 2nd one as well. both are nice coin to

• GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,353 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 21, 2018 9:34AM

I like the 1st one best.

If it wasn't for the spot on the 2nd coin I would have chosen it.

Spots on any coin kill it for me.

GrandAm :)
  • jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

• KccoinKccoin Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

love the orange colors on buffs, so I go with #1. and also partly because its not a 38-d

• goldengolden Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 21, 2018 10:02AM

I can not get past the spot so I will go with #1.

• Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

@fiftysevener said:
    Although 35-S is far more scarce I like it better than spotted 38-D even though its fully struck. Both have very attractive toning !

Actually, it is not more scarce. I go with coin 2! If not for the spot, it would have been a 68, meaning the coin is lovely overall. To me anyway.

• koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

Both are gorgeous but I think #2 is more gorgeous.

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

Shoot the Moon, keep both.

• rln_14rln_14 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭

i would go with 2

• cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 21, 2018 11:00AM

.#2 has nicer toning, but the spot would be an issue for me. I would keep #1.

@Wabbit2313 said:

@fiftysevener said:

Actually, it is not more scarce. I go with coin 2! If not for the spot, it would have been a 68, meaning the coin is lovely overall. To me anyway.

Even though more 35-S nickels were struck it is possibly 20 times as scarce as the 38-D. Its been said that there are more 38-D's than all other mint state Buffalos combined. Many 38-D's were put away and in my opinion a spot that size especially on the obverse would keep it from grading 67.

• ilikemonstersilikemonsters Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭

I frankly didn't notice the spot til you mentioned it. If it wasn't for the spot, it'd grade 68 shot plus.

• TetromibiTetromibi Posts: 940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 21, 2018 12:03PM

@Smudge said:
    Shoot the Moon, keep both.

Tempting, but the cash from one could go a long way towards the next coin.

edit: I still can't make up my mind. Guess I'll see which one I look at the most over the next week.

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,625 ✭✭✭✭✭

Both, each has its pluses and minuses although that black spot is annoying to me. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

If only one, 2 is better struck and more colorful. In spite of the spot 2.

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would choose the 1935-S if only because 1938-D seems rather common in nicely toned condition and can be easily replaced or located, 1935-S not so much.

Actually, it is not more scarce --- Wabbit in reference to 1935-S
    actually, it is. PCGS has graded more MS64 1938-D's than all graded 1935-S.

• drfishdrfish Posts: 932 ✭✭✭✭

I loved 2 until someone mentioned the spot. Now that’s all my OCD brain sees! Still like 2 better but in the long run that spot might drive me crazy(er)

@fiftysevener said:

@Wabbit2313 said:

@fiftysevener said:

Even though more 35-S nickels were struck it is possibly 20 times as scarce as the 38-D. Its been said that there are more 38-D's than all other mint state Buffalos combined. Many 38-D's were put away and in my opinion a spot that size especially on the obverse would keep it from grading 67.

I am making reference to the D/D in that grade, then add the amazing color. More rare to me, but who knows!

• topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tough crowd. :D;)

• ACopACop Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

2 and its not even close

@fiftysevener said:

@Wabbit2313 said:

@fiftysevener said:

For the record, it is more scarce. (Below) And you must have missed the grade? It is 67+.

• tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,146 ✭✭✭✭✭

1 is nice but not spectacular

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like 2

• KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

2 for me. Love them both.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

edited July 21, 2018 4:07PM

I had a chance to look at 2 under some better lighting. It is by far and away the better coin, even with the spot. It has a great strike. It's dripping with luster. The color is out of this world.

It will be staying in my collection until I find something 67/68 with amazing toning and no spot.

Thanks again for the input everyone!

• david3142david3142 Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with 2 but the first is also beautiful and I would be proud to have it.
    Great coins!

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like 2.
    And you can sell 1 to me.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

edited July 21, 2018 5:52PM

@Cameonut said:
    I like 2.
    And you can sell 1 to me.

1 is on ebay now. If anyone is actually interested in 1, feel free to PM an offer. I'll stop responding here now and save everything else for BST.

2 is in my type set until something better comes along.

• cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,060 ✭✭✭✭✭

@topstuf said:
    Tough crowd. :D;)

You should read the Hansen thread. >:)o:)

• crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,776 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the top one but they’re both pretty nice. So, I’d keep em both :)

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • ad4400ad4400 Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would have kept the 1938 too, much stronger coin . Frankly the image of the 35s doesn’t give me that intangible I want in a 67.

As far as rarity, the 38-d has a mintage of 7m. It is simply a falicacy this had a high mintage. The 35-s has a mintage of over 10m.

• ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would not pay a premium for any + 38 D coin for this grade for reasons I shouldn't get into here. That said, the strike on the Unc. 38 D is usually hammered. 38 Ds in 6 and 7 with amazing color are not hard to find.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • BUFFNIXXBUFFNIXX Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hey rick i would keep that 38d!!
    buffnixx

Collector of Buffalo Nickels and other 20th century United States Coinage
    a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 22, 2018 9:35AM

1938 but the spot is bothersome to me :)

• BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Nuns in grade school always told us to "Dare to be Different". They even told us that as they beat all of us boys to a pulp with rulers, sticks, or whatever.

So I prefer number 1. Everyone has a 38-D in Type Sets. Dare to be different, peeps.

The 35-S will look just fine.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon

@Wabbit2313 said:

@fiftysevener said:

@Wabbit2313 said:

@fiftysevener said:

For the record, it is more scarce. (Below) And you must have missed the grade? It is 67+.

I missed the D over D, sorry.

• Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love #2 but it's kind of like this to me, looks ok till you get a loupe.

Hoard the keys.
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Number 1......I can't get past the spot.

• sawyerjoshsawyerjosh Posts: 403 ✭✭✭

1 - that spot sucks on 2!

As a seller: USARarities, acloco, coindudeonebay, Twinturbo, MICHAELDIXON, blu62vette, mothra454, LukeMarshall, USARarities
    As a buyer: QualityCurrencycom, tychojoe, AurumMiner, Collectorcoins, perfectstrike, ModCrewman, LeeBone, nickel, REALGATOR, MICHAELDIXON, pointfivezero, Walkerguy21D
    Trades: georgiacop50

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file