Home U.S. Coin Forum

What grade was assigned to this CC Morgan? (Grade revealed)

morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 20, 2018 6:32PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Straight forward, what grade did a top TPG slab this as? One hint, it's straight graded.

World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO

What grade was assigned to this CC Morgan? (Grade revealed)

Sign in to vote!
This is a private poll: no-one will see what you voted for.

Comments

• ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

She is a 65 :)

• mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

• cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,060 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the services called it a 66 based on how forgiving they are of chatter on CC issues for this series. I personally like it as a 65+. I voted MS66.

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

64 !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • 3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

65 and Nice Coin ;)

• ParlousJoeParlousJoe Posts: 451 ✭✭✭

I wanted to say 65 but since this has one of the larger productions and is a little more common of the CC Morgans, I think they might have given it a 64 because of the hits on the cheek. It's a nice looking coin either way

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,412 ✭✭✭✭✭

a 65

• messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,642 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm at 65. Nice coin, but I can't justify 66.

• jedmjedm Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm at 65 as well.

• ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't think I'd have a problem with that in a 6 holder. The fields are very nice with only very minor light marks, I don't find the mark on the cheek distracting, at least in the photo.

Collector, occasional seller

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

considering everything, what year it was graded matters.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ChrisH821 said:
    I don't think I'd have a problem with that in a 6 holder. The fields are very nice with only very minor light marks, I don't find the mark on the cheek distracting, at least in the photo.

This.

• TheDukeKTheDukeK Posts: 359 ✭✭✭

There's too much on the lower check and neck to hit those numbers. I went 64 but there's a better chance of 63 then 65 IMO

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

thank you for using GTGGS
    GTGGS is a trademark of Guess The Grade Grading System

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • JBNJBN Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

The fields and reverse are certainly yanking the coin up to 5/6 territory - but I just can't get by with a gem having the noise on the cheek. Voted 64, really think 64+++.

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,430 ✭✭✭✭✭

It would have been a very nice MS-64 when I was dealer. Today it's more than likely, an MS-65. I hope that's not an MS-66 because it has too many little marks on the cheek for that grade.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS65.... My first impression and I still think so.... Much like certain physical apertures, everyone has an opinion...and mine is as valid as the next one...Cheers, RickO

• goldengolden Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭✭✭

64 here.

• marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,209 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TheDukeK said:
    There's too much on the lower check and neck to hit those numbers. I went 64 but there's a better chance of 63 then 65 IMO

no way, its a 65+ at least if not 66 not withstanding the neck chatter.

To be honest, I tried to hit my monitor few times trying to kill that mini roach, rest is history :s

• gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

Enlarging it and looking at it again it looks more like a 63+.

• RBB617RBB617 Posts: 497 ✭✭

I really like BillJones' response. The way I was taught in the late '70s/early '80s - it looks like a 64, but may now grade at 65. Then again, I'm looking at pictures on a computer screen with crappy fluorescent lights above me.

• CCGGGCCGGG Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 20, 2018 12:54PM

Could be 66 in the eyes of PCGS or NGC (there are no other top TPG services) but I'd give it a 65 (at best) because of the loss of eye appeal (toning)

• shinywhiteshinywhite Posts: 346 ✭✭✭

It's exactly these kinds of exercises that helps me get better at this. I voted 63. But there again, I'm new to this

• david3142david3142 Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭✭✭

The hit on the cheek bothers me a bit at the 65 level but it is so clean otherwise I think it still deserves it.

• rwheelrwheel Posts: 28 ✭✭✭

65 all day

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

65 here

• RockyMtnProspectorRockyMtnProspector Posts: 754 ✭✭✭✭✭

Based on pics, 65.

GSAs, OBW rolls, Seated, Walkers. Anything old and Colorado-focused, CO nationals.

Gonna get me a $50 Octagonal someday. Some. Day.
  • ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have an 84 CC with similar toning in a 6 holder with a cleaner cheek, so I'd say MS 65. Caveat: Mine was graded 20 years ago.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • KoveKove Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭✭

65 most days.

It wouldn't be economically viable on this coin, but it has the look of a coin that if submitted 10 times, at least one of those grading events would result in a 66.

• HallcoHallco Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

WOW! :astonished:

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

Confession time. I was one of the 5 votes. 3 seems like a brutal grade for that coin. CAC should be a slam dunk for that one I think, but I was wrong on the grade so.....

• SiriusBlackSiriusBlack Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t know the first thing about grading coins, and I was one of the 4....

Beginners luck or fill out my application for NGC? :p

Collector of randomness. Photographer at PCGS. Lover of Harry Potter.

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now that I see it in the slab, is there a platinum bean?

bob :):)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,430 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’d give a gold CAC to that one. It’s one point better.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Consideration of a gold CAC is justified !! :)

Timbuk3
  • logger7logger7 Posts: 8,022 ✭✭✭✭✭

As others said it is a real gem and whether buying and selling it should be sold as such, you don't look up Greysheet on a coin like that based on the numerical grade; I wonder what the graders were thinking?

• rln_14rln_14 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭

Very surprising grade, my 88-s 63 has alot more hits than this one, I thought this one would go much higher

• COINS MAKE CENTSCOINS MAKE CENTS Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

Didn't think a 63 that's for sure I said 65

New inventory added daily at Coins Make Cents
    HAPPY COLLECTING

• DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,175 ✭✭✭✭✭

I also said 65.

That grade of ms63 is seriously messed up.

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • jerseycat101jerseycat101 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭✭✭

If that doesn't get a gold bean I don't know what will.

• CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

I still think its MS65.

• LeeBoneLeeBone Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow... :o

Again, Wow... :o

I have 65's that are not as nice as this...

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@morgansforever said: "Straight forward, what grade did a top TPG slab this as?"

I'd like to make a suggestion...nevermind. There is no way to express my thought without coming across as a jerk. I appreciate the trouble any OP goes through to provide these GTG games as they are fun.

I just wish there was a better way to teach us grading than to post an obviously under-graded coin. Perhaps, a question such as "Why do you think this coin is graded MS-63? Oops, I guess I just made a suggestion. Ok, I'm a jerk. :p

Let's keep this thread alive... I can only think of two reasons the OP's coin is in a 63 holder, if we eliminate the old holder and "gradeflation" that leaves one reason. Care to respond?

Why did you think this coin should grade MS-65. Care to respond?

For the others, Why did you think this coin should grade MS-66. Care to respond?

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,412 ✭✭✭✭✭

nice coin and i agree that is a good candidate for a gold bean

• jedmjedm Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 21, 2018 8:55AM

Even after my guess of 65 I will try to answer your question as to the reason why this example may have been graded as 63. Because we are only viewing a facsimile, and not the item in hand, is it possible that the contact marks are distractive enough and noticeable enough (for instance the fields, the cheek, and the neck) to limit the higher grade?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file