Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Do you think PCGS is stricter in grading when it comes to foreign coins?

And if so, do they have greater value when compared to across the street for the same grade

Comments

• Options
    AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do not, and I do not.

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've found that to be so !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would rather have my foreign coins in
    PCGS holders.

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    tonedSilvertonedSilver Posts: 153 ✭✭✭

Yes and yes

• Options
    jgennjgenn Posts: 738 ✭✭✭✭✭

For 8 reales, no, ATS is stricter. It's too hard to make a blanket statement regarding value for 8 reales because there are always other considerations.

• Options
    cjdilegocjdilego Posts: 31 ✭✭✭

I have found that some foreign coins may do better in PCGS Holders, but NGC seems to me to have many more graded and varieties that PCGS does not have.

• Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭

both are great. I use NGC more as they grade far more foreign coins that I collect.

Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

PCGS is less consistent than NGC.

thefinn
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nope and sometimes yes...which is annoying (if using price as a proxy for value). Of course, that is limited to the coins I collect/look at.

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

In general, they have been. Should have saved a few pictures as I had coins graded; I was not in the grading room, but one of the problems they seem to have not surmounted was die polishing in early to mid-Victorian era Brit coins. Another was the huge gaps on some of the "off year" mattes - sometimes of three or more points.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    atomatom Posts: 431 ✭✭✭✭

@thefinn said:

I have had the opposite experience. I started with NGC, but have moved to PCGS and found their grading to be more consistent. Judging from other comments, perhaps it depends on the Country or Series?

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

I prefer PCGS for Foreign and US, but NGC is close enough that I'll buy them too and not worry about crossing over. Both are cool in my opinion.

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Heard it to be harder at NGC on world

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jgenn Jack - you mentioned that NGC is stricter on 8 Reales. I noticed the opposite, at least with the portrait series. Over the years I have crossed / attempted to cross at least a few dozen portrait 8 Reales. Large portion of my collection was NGC holdered when they announced changes banning PCGS coins from their registry and in about 70% of cases, the grade went down by at least a point. There were only 2 examples where the grade has gone up and about 5-6 crossed exactly at grade.

NGC is a lot more forgiving when it comes to both hairlines and lack of luster.

I think individual experiences may vary. Also keep in mind that in a lot of cases I did not have a chance to see the coin in-hand and had to rely on TPG or auction house imaging.

• Options
    celaviecelavie Posts: 31 ✭✭

PCGS Stricter? Maybe - but for what I collect (Africa) I have found them much more attentive to various attributions/varieties and anomalies than other TPG's. I have seen a number of miss-labeled coins, graded by the other grading services - some of the pieces are well known varieties for example - easily seen with the naked eye and known to even novice collectors of African coins, yet they get through the grading rooms and on to auction sites all to frequently. Personally, I feel I have seen more of what I would call "over-graded" pieces from NGC than PCGS - that is just my experience thus far.

• Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

@atom said:

@thefinn said:

I have had the opposite experience. I started with NGC, but have moved to PCGS and found their grading to be more consistent. Judging from other comments, perhaps it depends on the Country or Series?

They're ok with Canadian, but I don't think either is very strong on anything from 19th century and back.

thefinn
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

PCGS has a better looking holder, and for U.S. coins, they are more conservative. When it comes to the British coins I have collectored, NGC is more accurate.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stricter than whom? I find ANACS to be very strict with World Coins.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    jgennjgenn Posts: 738 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TwoKopeiki, Roman I've gotten two NGC body bags (not certified) into PCGS genuine and four NGC details into PGCS full grades. I've only tried to cross four coins from PCGS to NGC -- three made the same grade and one would not cross at the same grade. I guess the story is YMMV.

• Options
    ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think NGC gets a better realized price on many world coins but I like my coins in PCGS holders because of the TruViews they provide.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

Indeed, some older white-holdered ANACS slabs are tough on coins, world and US.

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

I find there to be significant inconsistency across both services. I would venture to guess that NGC has seen more world coins than PCGS and may as a result be more consistent. Regardless, I still prefer PCGS plastic for the visuals and liquidity.

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does PCGS still provide no cost TrueView images when World coins are submitted?

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭✭✭

It depends on what you're submitting. The catch-all of "world coins" is too broad a category to make a blanket statement.

In Conder tokens, I find those graded MS63-MS65 by NGC to be (on average) much more attractive tokens than the equivalently graded examples from PCGS.

There are some pre-confederacy Canadian tokens in "MS" (mostly 62-63) PCGS holders that I wouldn't expect to grade higher than AU55 in NGC holders.

As for some medals and exonumia of that type, PCGS seems to be a bit more conservative or about the same as NGC. I have seem some amazing bronze medals graded MS64 or MS63 by PCGS - just stellar pieces that the grade doesn't do justice.

In summary, I think you have to assess the merits of each piece on an individual basis. Generalities about a population (all coins/medals) will not tell you about the merits of a given individual (a single/medal you have in hand/view).

-Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• Options
    ExbritExbrit Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭✭

NGC is stricter on the series that I collect (World). I've only had a few US coins graded by NGC, so I cannot compare. I do know that some of my old MS63 are now PCGS MS65s.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

It does not matter what I think. Here is why... Opinions are opinions and some opinions are better than others. And opinions can change as coins can easily be re-submitted. So what truly matters is the look of the coin and how it compares to others within same series.

I try to seek coins that I like for what they are and not for what they are in.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.