Home Sports Talk

Comments

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

They should be more concerned about the 4 hour games.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh great more anthem chat :D

• Options

some of you guys seem worked up about this anthem business , we should definitely discuss this at great lengths :D

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,241 ✭✭✭✭✭

OK you start us off!

Yeah......glib.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

Did you all know that there are 4 verses to the song and the last three are never played or sung ?? Or that the music was lifted from a song that came from Britain , imagine that , those bums we declared independence from actually wrote the music to our national anthem and are laughing at us every time its played. Or that it was only made the anthem in the 1930's before which random other songs were sung and played when the mopes needed a dose of propaganda ? One of which was my country tis of thee (which is actually the British national anthem , god save the queen ). The Brits had to have laughed even more at that one :D seriously , how sad and funny is it that someone wrote new words to god save the friggin queen and got idiots all over america to sing it ?

Pip pip , cheerio guvnor

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,161 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bronco2078 said:

Did you all know that there are 4 verses to the song and the last three are never played or sung ?? Or that the music was lifted from a song that came from Britain , imagine that , those bums we declared independence from actually wrote the music to our national anthem and are laughing at us every time its played. Or that it was only made the anthem in the 1930's before which random other songs were sung and played when the mopes needed a dose of propaganda ? One of which was my country tis of thee (which is actually the British national anthem , god save the queen ). The Brits had to have laughed even more at that one :D seriously , how sad and funny is it that someone wrote new words to god save the friggin queen and got idiots all over america to sing it ?

Pip pip , cheerio guvnor

that was bloody informative mate

• Options

Apparently the middle verses said mean things about the Brits , which considering we were at war with them when Key wrote the words is not surprising. In fact he probably used their song on purpose and put words to it they wouldn't like to be provocative. But later when we felt we needed to suck up to the British the offensive words were ditched . Kind of a 1984 type thing there , right down the memory hole .

Recently Canada changed the words to its anthem to make them gender neutral , I guess that will probably happen with ours pretty soon too. :D

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bronco2078 said:

Pip pip , cheerio guvnor

And it gets worse. For those who don't know the language of which we speak...be ready...here it comes...it's English.

Oh the horror..........

Well, at least our game of baseball originated here, and our Statue of Liberty was built here....so that counts for something.

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bronco2078 said:
    Apparently the middle verses said mean things about the Brits

And mentions of slaves, God, and conquering. Oh my!

Recently Canada changed the words to its anthem to make them gender neutral , I guess that will probably happen with ours pretty soon too. :D

No need, not a single gendered pronoun in it to begin with. Key was way ahead of his time.

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:
    our Statue of Liberty was built here

I think it would qualify for "Made in USA" labeling since it was assembled here.

• Options

oh look disagrees , maybe I can catch glicker one of these days B)

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,487 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 26, 2018 1:07PM

Here’s a couple of questions for the players who disrespect the anthem.

How many minds do you think you have changed?

Ans. None

What do you think are you are doing for the players who are coming after you?

Ans. Probably making it less likely that they are going to share in the big paydays. Attendance is down; the TV ratings are down; and all of that leads to less revenue and lower salaries.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 26, 2018 10:57AM

@BillJones said:

Hoiw many minds do you think you have changed?

Ans. None

Ans. Probably making it less likely that they are going to share in the big paydays. Attendance is down; the TV ratings are down; and all of that leads to less revenue and lower salaries.

It’s obviously not about the paydays for the players kneeling so I doubt they are worried about possible paydays for others down the road. 2017 was a record breaking year revenue wise for the NFL.

I can’t wait for the season to start as are most football fans

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

@1970s said:
    Frank Sinatra considered Kate Smith the best singer of her time, and said that when he and a million other guys first heard her sing "God Bless America" on the radio, they all pretended to have dust in their eyes as they wiped away a tear or two.

Here are the facts; The link at the bottom will take you to a video showing the very first public singing of "God Bless America. " But before you watch it you should know the story behind the first public showing of the song.

The time was 1940. America was still in a terrible economic depression. Hitler was taking over Europe and Americans were afraid we'd have to go to war. It was a time of hardship and worry for most Americans

This was the era just before TV when radio shows were HUGE and American families sat around their radios in the evenings, listening to their favorite entertainers and no entertainer of that era was bigger than Kate Smith.

Kate was also large; plus size as we now say and the popular phrase still used today is in deference to her; "It ain't over till the fat lady sings."

Kate Smith might not have made it big in the age of TV but with her voice coming over the radio, she was the biggest star of her time.

Kate was also patriotic. It hurt her to see Americans so depressed and afraid of what the next day would bring. She had hope for America , and faith in her fellow Americans. She wanted to do something to cheer them up, so she went to the famous American song-writer Irving Berlin (who also wrote White Christmas) and asked him to write a song that would make Americans feel good again about their country. When she described what she was looking for, he said he had just the song for her. He went to his files and found a song that he had written but never published, 22 years before - in 1917. He gave it to her and she worked on it with her studio orchestra. She and Irving Berlin were not sure how the song would be received by the public, but both agreed they would not take any profits from God Bless America. Any profits would go to the Boy Scouts of America . Over the years, the Boy Scouts have received millions of dollars in royalties from this song.

This video starts out with Kate Smith coming into the radio studio with the orchestra and an audience. She introduces the new song for the very first time and starts singing. After the first couple verses, with her voice in the background, scenes are shown from the 1940 movie, You're In The Army Now. At the 4:20 mark of the video you see a young actor in the movie, sitting in an office, reading a paper; it's Ronald Reagan. You will recognize other old stars but have forgotten their names. You may remember George Murphy near the end, though.

To this day, God Bless America stirs our patriotic feelings and pride in our country. Back in 1940, when Kate Smith went looking for a song to raise the spirits of her fellow Americans, I doubt whether she realized just how successful the results would be for her fellow Americans during those years of hardship and worry... and for many generations of Americans to follow.

Now that you know the story of the song, I hope you'll enjoy it.

Many people don't know there's a lead in to the song since it usually starts with God Bless America ... So here's the entire song as originally sung. Enjoy it! Click below:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/TnQDW-NMaRs?rel=0

It's great to see this spirit growing in America today, and we're going to keep it going.

God Bless America

• Options

@Justacommeman said:

@BillJones said:

Hoiw many minds do you think you have changed?

Ans. None

It’s obviously not about the paydays for the players kneeling so I doubt they are worried about possible paydays for others down the road. 2017 was a record breaking year revenue wise for the NFL.

I can’t wait for the season to start as are most football fans

mark

I agree with ya Mark!

Frankly, i refuse to allow a bunch of stinkin' kneelers and some others, to interfere with my long time enjoyment of the NFL.

That is just as long as the NFL owners step up, which in my opinion they haven't done enough. But i'm willing to give them ample opportunity to do the right thing.

The NFL has to realize and fully understand, that as much as many of us out there enjoy the NFL, we will always choose our National Anthem and our Flag over any sports league, if they force us to make that choice.

• Options

https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/nfl/dallas-cowboys/article215754965.html

NFL orders Jerry Jones to stop talking anthem, Fox 4’s Mike Doocy cancels interview

Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones is now suddenly listening to the NFL.

Four days after seemingly defying the NFL and letting the world know about his team’s zero-tolerance policy regarding standing for the national anthem, Jones is now not talking about the issue because he has been told not to by the league.

Jones informed several local television stations who had booked him for interviews on their Sunday night show from training camp in Oxnard, Calif., that questions about the national anthem and his team’s policy were not permitted because the NFL had told him to stop speaking on the matter.

So some out there thought this was all going to go away? Better think again.

With the mid-term elections coming up in November, this could all possibly get a lot worse.

It's a shame because Jerry Jones and some of his players stepped it up the right way as reported in the article. Seemed like a pretty good example for other teams and the NFL to follow. But then the timid and feckless NFL slaps him down.

• Options
    edited July 30, 2018 5:28PM

IS> @stevek said:

NFL orders Jerry Jones to stop talking anthem, Fox 4’s Mike Doocy cancels interview

Four days after seemingly defying the NFL and letting the world know about his team’s zero-tolerance policy regarding standing for the national anthem, Jones is now not talking about the issue because he has been told not to by the league.

Jones informed several local television stations who had booked him for interviews on their Sunday night show from training camp in Oxnard, Calif., that questions about the national anthem and his team’s policy were not permitted because the NFL had told him to stop speaking on the matter.

With the mid-term elections coming up in November, this could all possibly get a lot worse.

It's a shame because Jerry Jones and some of his players stepped it up the right way as reported in the article. Seemed like a pretty good example for other teams and the NFL to follow. But then the timid and feckless NFL slaps him down.

Malcom Jenkins of the Eagles thinks Jerry Jones is a bully and is thankful Eagles management is supportive

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/07/27/malcolm-jenkins-jerry-jones-is-a-bully-for-anthem-stance/

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

@Justacommeman said:

@stevek said:

@1970s said:
    Frank Sinatra considered Kate Smith the best singer of her time, and said that when he and a million other guys first heard her sing "God Bless America" on the radio, they all pretended to have dust in their eyes as they wiped away a tear or two.

Here are the facts; The link at the bottom will take you to a video showing the very first public singing of "God Bless America. " But before you watch it you should know the story behind the first public showing of the song.

The time was 1940. America was still in a terrible economic depression. Hitler was taking over Europe and Americans were afraid we'd have to go to war. It was a time of hardship and worry for most Americans

This was the era just before TV when radio shows were HUGE and American families sat around their radios in the evenings, listening to their favorite entertainers and no entertainer of that era was bigger than Kate Smith.

Kate was also large; plus size as we now say and the popular phrase still used today is in deference to her; "It ain't over till the fat lady sings."

Kate Smith might not have made it big in the age of TV but with her voice coming over the radio, she was the biggest star of her time.

Kate was also patriotic. It hurt her to see Americans so depressed and afraid of what the next day would bring. She had hope for America , and faith in her fellow Americans. She wanted to do something to cheer them up, so she went to the famous American song-writer Irving Berlin (who also wrote White Christmas) and asked him to write a song that would make Americans feel good again about their country. When she described what she was looking for, he said he had just the song for her. He went to his files and found a song that he had written but never published, 22 years before - in 1917. He gave it to her and she worked on it with her studio orchestra. She and Irving Berlin were not sure how the song would be received by the public, but both agreed they would not take any profits from God Bless America. Any profits would go to the Boy Scouts of America . Over the years, the Boy Scouts have received millions of dollars in royalties from this song.

This video starts out with Kate Smith coming into the radio studio with the orchestra and an audience. She introduces the new song for the very first time and starts singing. After the first couple verses, with her voice in the background, scenes are shown from the 1940 movie, You're In The Army Now. At the 4:20 mark of the video you see a young actor in the movie, sitting in an office, reading a paper; it's Ronald Reagan. You will recognize other old stars but have forgotten their names. You may remember George Murphy near the end, though.

To this day, God Bless America stirs our patriotic feelings and pride in our country. Back in 1940, when Kate Smith went looking for a song to raise the spirits of her fellow Americans, I doubt whether she realized just how successful the results would be for her fellow Americans during those years of hardship and worry... and for many generations of Americans to follow.

Many people don't know there's a lead in to the song since it usually starts with God Bless America ... So here's the entire song as originally sung. Enjoy it! Click below:

It's great to see this spirit growing in America today, and we're going to keep it going.

God Bless America

IS> @stevek said:

Malcom Jenkins of the Eagles thinks Jerry Jones is a bully and is thankful Eagles management is supportive

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/07/27/malcolm-jenkins-jerry-jones-is-a-bully-for-anthem-stance/

Yea, I've read that. It was also in the article.

I look forward to the day when Jenkins gets cut.

As Paul stated, "I just want to watch Football." Sadly, these damn kneelers don't wish to allow us to do just that.

• Options
    edited July 30, 2018 5:35PM

@stevek said:

@Justacommeman said:

@stevek said:

@1970s said:

God Bless America

IS> @stevek said:

As Paul stated, "I just want to watch Football." Sadly, these damn kneelers don't wish to allow us to do just that.

That’s not true. Just watch the game and ignore the noise. No one forcing you to do anything else. Ain’t no one even Glicker going ruin me watching football. I’m there for the game only just like always. If the ratings are down. I don’t care. If attendence is down I don’t care. I will only care if somehow I start getting a cut of the action in the form of a check.

m

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hope when the season starts we can all agree to just smack talk each other and make fun of each other’s teams and leave this anthem garbage OUT of our banter

• Options

@Justacommeman said:

@stevek said:

@Justacommeman said:

@stevek said:

@1970s said:

God Bless America

IS> @stevek said:

That’s not true. Just watch the game and ignore the noise. No one forcing you to do anything else. Ain’t no one even Glicker going ruin me watching football. I’m there for the game only just like always. If the ratings are down. I don’t care. If attendence is down I don’t care. I will only care if somehow I start getting a cut of the action in the form of a check.

m

That's good advice Mark.

Tough to ignore though when they shove it right in our faces all the time. Sort of like trying to ignore loud barking dogs in the neighborhood.

But I will try to heed your advice.

• Options

@stevek said:

@Justacommeman said:

@stevek said:

@Justacommeman said:

@stevek said:

@1970s said:

God Bless America

IS> @stevek said:

m

That's good advice Mark.

Tough to ignore though when they shove it right in our faces all the time. Sort of like trying to ignore loud barking dogs in the neighborhood.

But I will try to heed your advice.

It’s hard but doable. I’m with Perk and I was going to actually start a thread stating once the first ball is kicked in the air ( they still have kick offs right?) that I’m not engaging on the anthem crap. Let them sort it out and lose sleep over it. BTW you had a title to defend! You can’t afford to be distracted. Everyone is coming after you

m

• Options

@perkdog said:
    I hope when the season starts we can all agree to just smack talk each other and make fun of each other’s teams and leave this anthem garbage OUT of our banter

Pretty good idea.

I would just like to point out the CU forum Sports Talk rules, if I'm remembering right, it's section 84, column G, paragraph 14, states that the Super Bowl winner receives a one season reprieve from any negative smack talk. So I'm expecting everyone here to follow the rules and honor the Super Bowl winner, and best football franchise of all time, the Philadelphia Eagles.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

Hear, hear! I don't watch pregame shows, the coin flip, the anthem or any other preliminiary stuff. I tune in when the kickoff is sailing into the air.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

2 things. #1 I hope Steve is still hanging around by the time the season starts, I kinda fear that if he gets his coveted 20,000th post beforehand he might go on a long vacation from CU again :o #2. I always have my computer next to me and clicker before, during and after Kickoff so I can ignore everything that interrupts the actual game itself.

• Options

@stevek said:

At least try to apply your viewpoint consistently. If the players are supposed to shut up about the anthem then Jerry has to also. Also he is the worst owner in the league so if you find yourself agreeing with him then you are probably wrong about basically everything else. :D

• Options

@bronco2078 said:

@stevek said:

At least try to apply your viewpoint consistently. If the players are supposed to shut up about the anthem then Jerry has to also. Also he is the worst owner in the league so if you find yourself agreeing with him then you are probably wrong about basically everything else. :D

I don't recall saying that Jerry Jones is the worst owner in the league. However if I did say it, then it was just smack or it was in the context of "worst owner" meaning as far as choosing the right players to win playoff games and championships considering the big money he spends. We all know that Jones is a brilliant businessman and give him credit where credit is due, he tries hard to win football games on a level equal to or greater than any sports team owner out there.

And as we all just basically agreed, no further comment about the anthem kneelers, so i shall offer none.

Yea, i know, we'll see how long that lasts with everyone. LOL

• Options

@stevek said:

@bronco2078 said:

@stevek said:

I don't recall saying that Jerry Jones is the worst owner in the league. However if I did say it, then it was just smack or it was in the context of "worst owner" meaning as far as choosing the right players to win playoff games and championships considering the big money he spends. We all know that Jones is a brilliant businessman and give him credit where credit is due, he tries hard to win football games on a level equal to or greater than any sports team owner out there.

And as we all just basically agreed, no further comment about the anthem kneelers, so i shall offer none.

Yea, i know, we'll see how long that lasts with everyone. LOL

I’m prepared. I will use this every time I want to chime in

mark

• Options

Dak is spot on, we need to take the issues that people have away from the game we all want to just enjoy. Whatever peaceful way people want to try and get their points across they should do it outside of the workplace and off of National TV.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

@Justacommeman said:

@stevek said:

@1970s said:

God Bless America

IS> @stevek said:

Jenkins is a JERK!!!

• Options

I hope Jerry Jones sticks to his guns on the NA controversy, but we all know who has the final say and he is the biggest IDIOT on the planet!

• Options
    edited July 31, 2018 6:12PM

@DIMEMAN said:

@stevek said:

@Justacommeman said:

@stevek said:

@1970s said:

God Bless America

IS> @stevek said:

Jenkins is a JERK!!!

And yet Jerry Jones wore a Cowboy hat during the entire National Anthem and Jenkins is the jerk. The Jones of the world don’t give a crap about the issue. None. Nada. They are all about themselves. They have there own rules.

And for the record Jenkins has never kneeled for the anthem

https://sports.yahoo.com/dallas-sports-anchor-dale-hansen-blasts-jerry-jones-wearing-hat-national-anthem-230635060.html

mark

• Options

<<< And as we all just basically agreed, no further comment about the anthem kneelers, so i shall offer none.
    Yea, i know, we'll see how long that lasts with everyone. LOL >>>

Lasted less than 24 hours. LOL

• Options
    edited July 31, 2018 10:08PM

@stevek said:
    <<< And as we all just basically agreed, no further comment about the anthem kneelers, so i shall offer none.

It’s only pre season! Got to get it out of my system.

m

• Options

@Justacommeman said:

@stevek said:

It’s only pre season! Got to get it out of my system.

m

Damn Kneelers!!!!!

ahh, that felt good. LOL

• Options

@Justacommeman said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@stevek said:

@Justacommeman said:

@stevek said:

@1970s said:

God Bless America

IS> @stevek said:

Jenkins is a JERK!!!

And yet Jerry Jones wore a Cowboy hat during the entire National Anthem and Jenkins is the jerk. The Jones of the world don’t give a crap about the issue. None. Nada. They are all about themselves. They have there own rules.

And for the record Jenkins has never kneeled for the anthem

https://sports.yahoo.com/dallas-sports-anchor-dale-hansen-blasts-jerry-jones-wearing-hat-national-anthem-230635060.html

mark

While I don't condone what Jerry did......... why is there an NA for practice? Again I hope he sticks to his rules.

• Options
    fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭✭

As I have said before, pretty hypocritical how all you folks that complain about the kneelers shoving their beliefs down your throats don't complain about all the players that kneel and pray before, during and after the game or answer questions about their on field performance with expressions of faith. I imagine you all would react a little differently if I wrote - they are on the job and shouldn't be allowed to use National Television to shove their religious beliefs down people's throats that just want to enjoy a game.

Robb

• Options

@fergie23 said:
    As I have said before, pretty hypocritical how all you folks that complain about the kneelers shoving their beliefs down your throats don't complain about all the players that kneel and pray before, during and after the game or answer questions about their on field performance with expressions of faith. I imagine you all would react a little differently if I wrote - they are on the job and shouldn't be allowed to use National Television to shove their religious beliefs down people's throats that just want to enjoy a game.

Robb

Praying is a positive thing. Dissing our national anthem and flag is a negative thing.

It's astonishing that you can't comprehend the difference.

• Options

Praying is only positive if you are a believer. Raising awareness of the police brutality and racial inequality in the US is a positive thing.

It is astonishing that you can't see your own hypocrisy.

Robb

• Options

@fergie23 said:
    Praying is only positive if you are a believer. Raising awareness of the police brutality and racial inequality in the US is a positive thing.

It is astonishing that you can't see your own hypocrisy.

Robb

You can spin it any way you wish.

The bottom line is that I doubt if there ever was a single fan in NFL history who stopped watching or attending NFL games because of any prayer.

That absolutely cannot be said about the kneelers.

• Options

@fergie23 said:

Robb

Big difference and YOU know it, whether or not you will admit it is a different story though. And for the record I’ve said it for years that players sound absolutely ridiculous when they bring God or Jesus into it after an emotional win because God or Jesus has NOTHING to do with the outcome of a sports team, end of discussion.

• Options

@perkdog said:

@fergie23 said:

Robb

Big difference and YOU know it, whether or not you will admit it is a different story though. And for the record I’ve said it for years that players sound absolutely ridiculous when they bring God or Jesus into it after an emotional win because God or Jesus has NOTHING to do with the outcome of a sports team, end of discussion.

Of course not. The old saying is what about the losing team who prayed before the game, right?

That being said, nothing is harmed by the prayers...versus the malignant anti-anthem and anti-flag kneelers.

• Options

Folks know that the NFL players are not kneeling to disrespect the NA or flag but none of the anti-kneelers will admit it. They want to let players do things on the field and TV that they support and believe in but don't let them do things that the they disagree with.

Nothing is harmed by kneeling during the anthem either.

Robb