Home Sports Talk
Options

NFL players association was not consulted.

Comments

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 28,275 ✭✭✭✭✭

@fergie23 said:
    Folks know that the NFL players are not kneeling to disrespect the NA or flag but none of the anti-kneelers will admit it. They want to let players do things on the field and TV that they support and believe in but don't let them do things that the they disagree with.

Nothing is harmed by kneeling during the anthem either.

Robb

<<< Folks know that the NFL players are not kneeling to disrespect the NA or flag >>>

Yea sure, and we've all heard the retorts from Colin Kaepernick about this.

However the fact is that what they are doing does disrespect the anthem, and does disrespect the flag, whether they care to admit it or not.

Praying doesn't disrespect anything about the anthem or the flag...and that is what folks know.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

there is a time and place when it comes to raising awareness for societal inequities, but kneeling during the national anthem is neither the time nor the place. if you disagree with me, i'll respect your opinion. but i can guarantee you one thing -- i'm going to walk as far away from you as humanly possible until we decide to talk about something else.

the thing that really lights my fuse is the inordinate amount of attention that is spent on a small faction of rogue cops, when the fact of the matter is that blacks eradicate blacks to the tune of thousands in cities like Chicago, yet the amount of public outcry is infinitesimal by comparison.

think long and hard about it -- when is the last time you heard a high-profile African-American athlete with immeasurable clout tell his brothers and sisters to knock it off? find a single instance.......just one.......if you can. if (not when) you do, i'll then -- by day's end -- be able to find 100 vocal examples of players advocating the use of anthem time to denounce cops-on-minorities crime.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,780 ✭✭✭✭✭

Robb, I want to watch an NFL game. I also worked for over 20 years in LE and during that time I was held to a higher standard and had obey a LOT of rules, I didn’t like it but I dealt with it, before my LE career and now with my new job I had too......YEP you guessed it! FOLLOW RULES because I’m on the clock! These guys are in uniform getting paid to WORK not shove political or religious beliefs down people’s throats that are enjoying their time away from work to relax and enjoy a game. Also they don’t own the network that they are using to shove political or religious beliefs at people! They want to protest then fine they can do that on their own time, or better yet how about on your time?

• Options
    fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭✭

galaxy27 you are conflating two separate issues.

You do know that over 80% of white homicides are white on white killings. The majority of homicide victims are killed by people of their own race. Where is your outrage that there is not more public outcry about white on white homicides?

"Rogue cops", "police error", "police officers who make mistakes" what great euphemisms you guys have come up with. That cop didn't gun down that the unarmed black man in cold blood, he committed an "error". Those DOJ reports that showed systematic bias against minorities by police officers in departments across the country simply didn't realize it was only "rogue cops" to blame. All the handheld devices that allow video to be captured have started to show that complaints by minorities about how they are treated by the police aren't just lies and distortions.

As for your little game get out of your bubble and look at Dwayne Wade. The reality is that the news isn't interested in reporting about things like athletes taking a stand about something that isn't controversial or has a tragic personal element to it - like Dwayne Wade. Articles about kneeling generate interest. Articles about athletes talking at an elementary school, middle school or high school about ending the pattern of violence don't.

Anyway nice attempt to deflect and derail the thread.

Robb

• Options

Perkdog I would prefer they didn't do either of those things as well. However if we are going to let them do one then they should be able to do the other.

The thing is that I, personally, don't think the athletes should be using the NA for their protest because it is so divisive. That said, the amount of hate generated towards those athletes tells us a lot about those doing the hating. I am pretty sure that if those same athletes were paying homage to our current dictator in chief during the NA - as opposed to our last dictator in chief - the opinions expressed on this board would be reversed.

Robb

• Options

fergie, why don't you take a moment from spewing your left-wing rhetoric like vomit and name me 5 African-American athletes who have used their influence to address thousands of blacks who have been killed by their own race.

can you? or do i need to go buy you a Dead or Alive album so you can continue to spin like a record, baby?

• Options

@1970s said:

@perkdog said:
    Robb, I want to watch an NFL game. I also worked for over 20 years in LE and during that time I was held to a higher standard and had obey a LOT of rules, I didn’t like it but I dealt with it, before my LE career and now with my new job I had too......YEP you guessed it! FOLLOW RULES because I’m on the clock! These guys are in uniform getting paid to WORK not shove political or religious beliefs down people’s throats that are enjoying their time away from work to relax and enjoy a game. Also they don’t own the network that they are using to shove political or religious beliefs at people! They want to protest then fine they can do that on their own time, or better yet how about on your time?

Perk - No one is shoving religious beliefs down anyone's throat at a sporting event.
    No one is shoving national anthem disrespect down anyone's throat either.

We have a choice to ignore it if we want. No one is shoving anything down anyone's throat.
    It's up to the individual to decide if they want to pay attention to it or not. I choose to pay attention to the kneeling issue, to a small degree. But I choose to watch the football pretty much over the kneeling issue.

Sorry but your wrong, try protesting something at your job and let me know how it works out

• Options

@fergie23 said:
    Perkdog I would prefer they didn't do either of those things as well. However if we are going to let them do one then they should be able to do the other.

The thing is that I, personally, don't think the athletes should be using the NA for their protest because it is so divisive. That said, the amount of hate generated towards those athletes tells us a lot about those doing the hating. I am pretty sure that if those same athletes were paying homage to our current dictator in chief during the NA - as opposed to our last dictator in chief - the opinions expressed on this board would be reversed.

Robb

I am color blind when it comes to NA protesters and I don’t “Hate” any of them, only because I don’t know them personally-however I do think they are all a bunch of ignorant employees though. That being said I like how you said you don’t agree with them using the NA for their protest, I will go a step further and say they shouldn’t use the flag either. Honestly if they want to stand outside their local PD or gov building and protest whatever they are protesting then I’m all for it as long as it’s peaceful and they don’t interfere with operations or people coming or going. I absolutely disagree with them but agree they have a “Right” to air their disagreements on their own time.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

@fergie23 said:
    As I have said before, pretty hypocritical how all you folks that complain about the kneelers shoving their beliefs down your throats don't complain about all the players that kneel and pray before, during and after the game or answer questions about their on field performance with expressions of faith. I imagine you all would react a little differently if I wrote - they are on the job and shouldn't be allowed to use National Television to shove their religious beliefs down people's throats that just want to enjoy a game.

Robb

Big difference and YOU know it, whether or not you will admit it is a different story though. And for the record I’ve said it for years that players sound absolutely ridiculous when they bring God or Jesus into it after an emotional win because God or Jesus has NOTHING to do with the outcome of a sports team, end of discussion.

God doesn't care who wins or loses. All I have ever seen in respect to this is the players give credit to God for giving them the talent to be able to perform at these levels and thus a chance to win. And most would agree with that.

• Options

@galaxy27 said:
    there is a time and place when it comes to raising awareness for societal inequities, but kneeling during the national anthem is neither the time nor the place. if you disagree with me, i'll respect your opinion. but i can guarantee you one thing -- i'm going to walk as far away from you as humanly possible until we decide to talk about something else.

the thing that really lights my fuse is the inordinate amount of attention that is spent on a small faction of rogue cops, when the fact of the matter is that blacks eradicate blacks to the tune of thousands in cities like Chicago, yet the amount of public outcry is infinitesimal by comparison.

think long and hard about it -- when is the last time you heard a high-profile African-American athlete with immeasurable clout tell his brothers and sisters to knock it off? find a single instance.......just one.......if you can. if (not when) you do, i'll then -- by day's end -- be able to find 100 vocal examples of players advocating the use of anthem time to denounce cops-on-minorities crime.

Well stated.

Jim Brown was doing that years ago. Not sure if he's doing it now, as he is up in years.

Brown has his personal faults, some were not good...however I highly respected him for working towards elevating the black community in the inner cities.

We are all Americans, that is a fact, and i fully support all efforts to make the inner cities a vibrant thriving community as the good people living there deserve it to be.

• Options

@stevek said:

@galaxy27 said:

Well stated.

Jim Brown was doing that years ago. Not sure if he's doing it now, as he is up in years.

Brown has his personal faults, some were not good...however I highly respected him for working towards elevating the black community in the inner cities.

We are all Americans, that is a fact, and i fully support all efforts to make the inner cities a vibrant thriving community as the good people living there deserve it to be.

Totally agree, This could be the post of the year on this subject.

• Options

galaxy27 moving the goal posts as usual. Just admit you don't actually know what you are talking about and move on.

How about naming 5 white athletes that have used their influence to address thousands of whites who have been killed by their own race?

Robb

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

@stevek said:

@galaxy27 said:

Well stated.

Totally agree, This could be the post of the year on this subject.

Years ago i used to sell products, mainly to churches, and had a number of customers in the black inner city neighborhoods in Philadelphia. I really grew to like the good folks there and always enjoyed meeting with them to try and get a sale, but also to talk other topics as well. To me they are GREAT people and deserve the EXACT same safe community as any suburban area, and I have stated that for many years. I am very pleased that in the past year and a half, a concerted effort has been made in that regard, realizing that there is still a long way to go.

• Options

Tell ya this much OUR President has straight up asked these NA Kneelers to let him know about any cases where a person they know has been unjustly punished or overly punished for a crime so he can have a committee look at it and I have not heard about a single athlete coming forward and bringing a case up, they could just go to the media and they would eat it up and make headlines over it yet all we hear are crickets

• Options

@fergie23 said:
    galaxy27 moving the goal posts as usual. Just admit you don't actually know what you are talking about and move on.

How about naming 5 white athletes that have used their influence to address thousands of whites who have been killed by their own race?

Robb

that's exactly what i thought. you know damn well it's not possible for you to find -- count it -- 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 examples, therefore you resort to one of your patented spin jobs.

i appreciate you solidifying my initial point my brutha

• Options

galaxy27 there is no spin. Your media loves to talk about black on black homicides like the high rate of same race homicides is something only attributable to African Americans. Yet when confronted with the fact that almost all homicide victims are killed by someone of their own race you have exactly nothing. So you basically had no point, none whatsoever. We even saw that further when you failed to find a white athlete talking about white on white homicide. Now if you wanted to discuss murder rates of African Americans vs whites or inner city violence rates vs suburbia vs rural that is a different discussion.

Of course you also said:

think long and hard about it -- when is the last time you heard a high-profile African-American athlete with immeasurable clout tell his brothers and sisters to knock it off? find a single instance.......just one.......if you can

You didn't even say it that long ago but you can scroll up a little bit and find your post if you need a reminder. So when I provided one instead of saying "yeah my bad I don't know what I'm talking about" you decided to move the goalposts. Maybe you don't know what "move the goalposts" means and believe that is "spin" but since you are on the internet you can go ahead and Google it to help educate yourself.

Robb

• Options

stevek, despite what you seem to believe no concerted effort has been made to improve inner cities under your president. You just believe things are better because you like the person in charge. In fact your president has proposed cutting funding to program benefiting inner cities. None of that has anything to do with the players peacefully protesting during the NA though.

Robb

• Options

@fergie23 …….. We don't dislike the kneeling players or their cause. We (at least I) dislike when and where they are doing it.

• Options

I respond when people spout misinformation. If I get banned I get banned.

Robb

• Options
    edited August 1, 2018 3:32PM

first of all, fergie, i don't know what this "your" talk is all about. if you think you have me pegged, you best try a little harder. as with sports, i always call things like i see them, which is very unlike someone such as yourself who makes token appearances and jams your political ideology down our collective throats in the process.

you can spin & extrapolate all you want, but i stand by my original stance: there are scores of African-American players who feel the need to take their ardent beliefs and drop them right smack dab in the middle of a time and place when and where they shouldn't be, but it would be virtually impossible to find a handful of those same exact players who would be willing to publicly shift the narrative toward their own race and focus on the epidemic that is taking place in many of the inner cities within our great nation. i submit that even a simple monologue would make a world of difference in the minds of impressionable teens and young adults, yet you will be hard-pressed to find such an example.

now, go ahead and indoctrinate us with the last word on this matter as i'm sure you will.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Man I go to work for 10 hours and all hell breaks lose

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

@Justacommeman said:
    Man I go to work for 10 hours and all hell breaks lose

mark

It should be an interesting start of the season coming up. ;)B)o:)

• Options

@perkdog said:
    Tell ya this much OUR President has straight up asked these NA Kneelers to let him know about any cases where a person they know has been unjustly punished or overly punished for a crime so he can have a committee look at it and I have not heard about a single athlete coming forward and bringing a case up, they could just go to the media and they would eat it up and make headlines over it yet all we hear are crickets

Just looking to get SOMEONE to comment on this, or is it because it don’t fit certain people’s agendas?

• Options

someone please arouse me from my slumber when one of your fav teams can do this. (it had been about 20 years since i last watched this, and ogling steve fuller's moves still had the same devastating effect.)

https://vimeo.com/135203185#

• Options
    edited August 1, 2018 4:19PM

@perkdog said:

My best guess they don’t trust him. Why should they?

mark

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

Perkdog - players did respond to his pardon request. There was on op-ed in the NYT by Doug Baldwin, Malcomn Jenkins, Benjamin Watson and Anquan Boldin.

Robb

• Options

@Justacommeman said:

@perkdog said:

My best guess they don’t trust him. I know I don’t

mark

Mark that’s an easy cop out. They don’t have to bring to a government committee just be vocal to the media for starters how about that? They KNOW the media will eat it up pronto, oh well maybe they just want to blindly protest for the sake of protesting.

• Options

@fergie23 said:
    Perkdog - players did respond to his pardon request. There was on op-ed in the NYT by Doug Baldwin, Malcomn Jenkins, Benjamin Watson and Anquan Boldin.

Robb

Thanks Robb.

mark

• Options

If that happened then I take back what I said and apologize. Kudos to those guys then, to the rest of them they should back those guys up if they truly believe in what they are doing. On that note I’m DONE with this topic, everyone here knows my feelings.

• Options

galaxy27 I call it like I see it as well. We just see things very differently. I didn't realize I was indoctrinating folks, I'm pretty sure everyone here engages in critical thinking.

Robb

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,587 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's obvious by now that neither side in this debate is going to change the opinions and feelings shared by the opposing side. Personally, I enjoy differences in opinion as it would be really boring if we all agreed on social topics like these.

With that said, I suggest everyone now return to their neutral corners..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

Perkdog - the other thing to remember is that Trump can only pardon people for Federal offenses not State ones. Of the roughly 2 million folks incarcerated only ~13% are in jail for Federal crimes.

Robb

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭✭✭

beating a dead horse page 3 thru 7

• Options

@fergie23 said:
    stevek, despite what you seem to believe no concerted effort has been made to improve inner cities under your president. You just believe things are better because you like the person in charge. In fact your president has proposed cutting funding to program benefiting inner cities. None of that has anything to do with the players peacefully protesting during the NA though.

Robb

I'll point out one important thing, I could point out dozens of others.

This isn't political. Getting rid of malignant vermin such as MS-13 and other violent gangs who terrorize inner city communities, should have always been a top priority in every administration. Sadly it really never was...until now, and thank goodness for that.

A safer and prosperous inner city obviously benefits the residents there. However it actually also benefits all Americans in so many different ways.

• Options
    edited August 1, 2018 6:16PM

@stevek said:

@fergie23 said:

Robb

This isn't political. Getting rid of malignant vermin such as MS-13 and other violent gangs who terrorize inner city communities, should have always been a top priority in every administration. Sadly it really never was...until now, and thank goodness for that.

A safer and prosperous inner city obviously benefits the residents there. However it actually also benefits all Americans in so many different ways.

There are plenty of violent gangs in the US that are made up of predominately US citizens. They were here before he took office and they are still here now without any discussion on fixing that problem So excuse me if I roll my eyes. Of course it’s political. To think otherwise is leemings and lollipops

mark

• Options

@Justacommeman said:

@stevek said:

@fergie23 said:

Robb

There are plenty of violent gangs in the US that are made up of predominately US citizens. They were here before he took office and they are still here now without any discussion on fixing that problem So excuse me if I roll my eyes. Of course it’s political. To think otherwise is leemings and lollipops

mark

Try telling the good folks in the inner cities who are frightened to walk the streets at night, who are afraid their children could get shot when walking home from school, who see first hand how drugs have ravaged their communities, if it's political. They just simply want something done about the problem...and something is finally being done. The good folks there know this and fully appreciate it.

• Options

@stevek said:

@Justacommeman said:

@stevek said:

@fergie23 said:

Robb

mark

Try telling the good folks in the inner cities who are frightened to walk the streets at night, who are afraid their children could get shot when walking home from school, who see first hand how drugs have ravaged their communities, if it's political. They just simply want something done about the problem...and something is finally being done. The good folks there know this and fully appreciate it.

speechless. Literally

mark

• Options
    edited August 1, 2018 7:24PM

@Justacommeman said:

@stevek said:

@Justacommeman said:

@stevek said:

@fergie23 said:

Robb

mark

speechless. Literally

mark

Good.

Maybe your side will finally join in, stop with their nonsense, and work together to get something done. This situation has gone on far too long and it's no longer acceptable to look the other way, while great American citizens are badly suffering from tyranny in their own neighborhoods.

• Options
    edited August 2, 2018 4:47PM

@stevek said:

@Justacommeman said:

@stevek said:

@Justacommeman said:

@stevek said:

@fergie23 said:

Robb

mark

speechless. Literally

mark

Good.

Maybe your side will finally join in, stop with their nonsense, and work together to get something done. This situation has gone on far too long and it's no longer acceptable to look the other way, while great American citizens are badly suffering from tyranny in their own neighborhoods.

We are on the same side on the aisle. I’m just not bambozzled by this administration if you can even call it that. I doubt any one on this forum has donated more time or money to the GOP over the years. I worked for Bush sr while In college. I was at Reagan’s 1st victory party. I worked for Bush II. But the new GOP no thanks. I’ll support any GOP candidate that is not tied to the current trainwreck. I can’t believe you think the current “administration” actually gives a flying F about the inner cities of America.

Believe what you want but don’t expect others to believe the same. Steve I appreciate that you have kept this civil to this point

mark

• Options

@Justacommeman said:

@stevek said:

@Justacommeman said:

@stevek said:

@Justacommeman said:

@stevek said:

@fergie23 said:

Robb

mark

speechless. Literally

mark

Good.

We are on the same side on the aisle you nut. I’m just not bambozzled by this administration if you can even call it that. I doubt any one on this forum has donated more time or money to the GOP over the years. I worked for Bush sr while I’m college. I was at Reagan’s victory party. I worked for Bush II. But the new GOP no thanks. I’ll support any GOP candidate that is not tied to the current trainwrect. I can’t believe you think the current administration actually gives a flying F about the inner cities of America.

mark

<<< We are on the same side on the aisle you nut. >>>

I've seen your posts, sure didn't seem like the same aisle to me. But I'll take your word for it.

I'm sure the good folks in the inner cities don't give a chit if you can't comprehend what is going on, or you simply have blinders on and don't wish to see for whatever reason. They know what's going on, and that's all that matters.

Thank goodness the good folks in the inner cities are finally getting the help that they need, and more is on the way.

• Options
    edited August 2, 2018 5:38PM

@stevek said:

@Justacommeman said:

@stevek said:

@Justacommeman said:

@stevek said:

@Justacommeman said:

@stevek said:

@fergie23 said:

Robb

mark

speechless. Literally

mark

Good.

We are on the same side on the aisle you nut. I’m just not bambozzled by this administration if you can even call it that. I doubt any one on this forum has donated more time or money to the GOP over the years. I worked for Bush sr while I’m college. I was at Reagan’s victory party. I worked for Bush II. But the new GOP no thanks. I’ll support any GOP candidate that is not tied to the current trainwrect. I can’t believe you think the current administration actually gives a flying F about the inner cities of America.

mark

<<< We are on the same side on the aisle you nut. >>>

I've seen your posts, sure didn't seem like the same aisle to me. But I'll take your word for it.

I'm sure the good folks in the inner cities don't give a chit if you can't comprehend what is going on, or you simply have blinders on and don't wish to see for whatever reason. They know what's going on, and that's all that matters.

Thank goodness the good folks in the inner cities are finally getting the help that they need, and more is on the way.

eyeroll

Back to debating sports I guess

m